View Poll Results: What xpac had the more worse story?

Voters
420. This poll is closed
  • WoD

151 35.95%
  • SL

269 64.05%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    We've still yet to do a single thing by our own free will. Everything has either been a quest or a raid/dungeon which was introduced to us by an actually important character to the story. And then people wonder why there are holes in our understanding. If this was a single player rpg we'd probably be playing bolvar and have all these edgey behind the scenes meetings that tell us more of what is going on.
    I'm missing my free will chip.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

"More worse".

Heh.

Shadowlands' story is still being told, so it has a chance, however slim, of improving. Y'know the old meme:

So, in my opinion, for now, Warlords "wins" as the worst story of the two. Garrosh's ending was rather "meh" and the whole "Draenor is free" ending still makes my jaw hurt from cringe overload to this day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    and the portal there is for gameplay, lorewise we are in SL since we got there and have yet to come back
    Not really.
    Dezco despite being nowhere near the ritual that got us to the Shadowlands is in Oribos looking for his wife and child. So there's obviously a portal of sorts available to just go into what is supposed to be the realm of death

Griftah also found his way to Oribos somehow

Also there's two human civilians just chillin' in Oribos like it's nothing
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2021-08-02 at 01:45 PM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowlands... only because it didn't appeal to me more than anything, even though I wasnt fond of WoD's story, because it involved time travel, I did like aspects of it and seeing Draenor in the past was pretty cool (albeit unfinished lol). With shadowlands I felt nothing, the afterlife stuff just isn't interesting to me. Plus all the fan service member-berries thrown in just seems to ham fisted.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

3+ Year Old Account
    SL by a wide margin. The only reason I played SL in the early months was because of improved gameplay, classes, dungeons and raid. However, the lore and the new zones are terrible and I can't wait this expansion to be over. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast in TBC Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    pls explain Elune just recent video then, what does it mean, and is there anything behind it than showing that Bowmsamdi is actually and probably best god-like figure in azeroth?
    Elune is a being that exists beyond the veil between life and the mortal plane. She is likely prevented from doing very much in the mortal plane directly. This comports exactly with why she almost never takes direct action against or for mortals. She simply cannot. She can control souls, however; and the empowering of Tyrande's soul and the saving of Ysera's soul was in her power.

She did not save the night elves when Teldrassil burned because she could not.

"In the wake of tragedy" - she watched powerless as the night elves died, but she could at least ease their passing and sent the whisps off to the Shadowlands to help the WQ. Elune cannot see into the Shadowlands directly, and could not have known of Zovaal's treachery.

If you think of the WoW cosmology like the D&D cosmology (which it is heavily derivative of) then the gods of each realm have power only over their own portfolios and within their realms. The other thing to consider is that gods and powers don't have to have the same ability to have mortal motivations; they are creatures that -are-, not creatures of -possibility-. They are fundamentally eternal, not growth-minded. This alien thought process is always hard for a lot of anthropocentric readers to comprehend.

Bwonsamdi is a Loa; he's not a god. Powerful yes, but he can cross beyond the veil, even if his "being" is on the mortal plane. Bwonsamdi doesn't -care- about anything other than Troll souls though, and until they were threatened, he probably didn't care at all about what was happening Maw wise. When Mueh'zala decided that he wanted to screw with the Loa and Troll souls, Bwonsamdi was pushed into action.

I can't believe i will type this but... WoD story is probably better at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither make much sense or hold up to even the smallest sense of consistency. That said, WoD served a purpose, going back to look at original characters and setting up Legion.

Shadowlands I just find utterly incoherent.

SL, because WoD story led to Legion which was awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was better because the concept was simply better. Garrosh and Gul'dan were better villains, and seeing Draenor before it became outland was cool. The various Orcish clans and their interactions with the Draenei were very interesting. Also, the environments were also much more natural and beautiful IMO. I think WoD gets a lot of hate because it came after MoP and Blizzard really screwed up its execution.

I'm just not enjoying SL at all. Sylvanas being "redeemed" just cheapens the entire plot (and honestly the plot of BFA as well), and the Jailer is really a boring, generic villain. Hopefully after SL we're done with the "cosmic" expansions for a good while.

I don't know if I can say for certainty which is worse; the alternate reality dudes or the dead dudes. They both are pretty trash.

WoDs story was great. The problem everyone had with it was lack of content to do not a bad story. Shadowlands has terrible mustache twirling 500iq meme storylines and no content. The writing is so cliché its obvious what is going to happen next for all of shadowlands. Sylvanas is going to get redeemed even though what she needs is to be curb stomped by all the faction leaders till there is nothing left.

They are both bad in terms of settings: alternative universe/timeline vs afterlife, both of which should have never happened.
    WoD had a much better build world and atmosphere so...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    strange, looks like you voted for WoD. at least before you posted it was 1:1. now its 2:1 for WoD. maybe missread the title ?
    i also missvoted as well... oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    WoD had the Garrison campaign. Although the only real important parts were the final 4 chapters (mainly for alliance as a lore character dies on the Alliance side of the story while a random orc peon does for horde), the chapter where Yrel becomes an Exarch (alliance only) and the chapter where you defeat Socrethar (as that leads into his raid encounter in HFC).

You also had the legendary ring chain with the Heroic Dungeon, Highmaul and the Blackrock foundry sections at launch. Although you had to wait until BRF released to start that section.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I’m on horde. pretty forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    WoD had the Garrison campaign. Although the only real important parts were the final 4 chapters (mainly for alliance as a lore character dies on the Alliance side of the story while a random orc peon does for horde), the chapter where Yrel becomes an Exarch (alliance only) and the chapter where you defeat Socrethar (as that leads into his raid encounter in HFC).

You also had the legendary ring chain with the Heroic Dungeon, Highmaul and the Blackrock foundry sections at launch. Although you had to wait until BRF released to start that section.
    just as a quick reminder: its about the story here, of both xpacs. not the xpac as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Yes of course, because unlike most of the sheep (in both WoW and GoT cases) - I didn't follow instructions from 4 or 5 youtubers to hate something.

I just made my own decision based on what was there.

As I do for WoW, I did for GoT.
    [spoilers] Well I’m glad you enjoyed Dany losing a dragon to capture a wight for Cersei for no reason, the Winterfell army charging the undead in complete darkness for no reason, Arya leaping from off-screen to land the killing blow on the Night King at the 11th hour, Jaime riding north not to complete his redemption arc established in season 3 but to have sex with Brienne and return to Kings Landing die with Cersei, Dany ignoring 7 seasons of character development and becoming the Mad Queen anyway, certain plot lines forgotten entirely etc I could go on

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Not really.
    Dezco despite being nowhere near the ritual that got us to the Shadowlands is in Oribos looking for his wife and child. So there's obviously a portal of sorts available to just go into what is supposed to be the realm of death
    Griftah also found his way to Oribos somehow
    Also there's two human civilians just chillin' in Oribos like it's nothing
    and how is the fact other people are there contradicting that we never get (or lorewise cant get) out of there?
    we dont get a list of who went in, the portal on top of ICC could still be open, after all getting in should be the easier part... not to mention being there ingame and being there LOREWISE are two different things...
    btw if you played as DK in legion your FOLLOWERS already went into shadowlands many times during table misions for campaign, so its not like it was unreachable before, its just hard to mange the trip, i guess its easier for DKs bcs its not their first trip to afterlife...
    there will always be inconsistencies between gameplay and lore, thats inevitable (they could care a bit more about keeping them small butthats for another discusion)

and as i said, when you compare it with WOD its the same, a LOT of npcs who were never around dark portal were suddenly in Draenor... Khadgar even opened portal to get our architect for garison there somehow, he literaly reached into different timeline (and time), something only bronze dragons should be able to do, and we even get back, and i dont think it was even mentioned HOW we get back into correct time, after all for maghar allied race q chain when we opened portal to Draenor it was "our" time...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-08-02 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    Hey,

inspired by another SL story thread, i asked myself what MMOC ppls say:

Which one had/has the more worse story? WoD or SL ?

This thread should not feel like its purely targeted to ppl that do not like the SL story. Or to disgrace SL (or WoD). But i also do not want to add some „i liked both, but WoD more“ and „i liked both, but SL more“ options, since when you like SL factor 100 more than WoD, it still answers the question. In short: I purely wanna find out what ppl vote solely between the 2, even when that poll feels a bit negatively associated (what is not my intention per se).

So, without any real rating HOW good or bad you find the story of the 2 xpacs: Which one had/has, in your opinion, the more worse story ?

WoD or SL ?

Happy voting

Edit:

REMINDER: Dont forget we talk solely about the story/writing/lore here, NOT about the xpac itself (xpac as a whole)!
    Both ate more serviceable than the general lack of overall story in Vanilla, the mess that was TBC, and the super cliched WotLK stories. I like the directions they are wanting(went) with SL and WoD, I feel some of the execution could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Hard to compare WoD's completed story to SL's thus-unfinished story. So far, I'm liking SL a lot more but there was a lot of potential in WoD's story which was never explored.
    Always hated these posts for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis-GR View Post
    As already mentioned above, WoD lore, as good or bad as it was, was limited to that expansion, i.e. you could move the story forward without thinking too much about it.

On the other hand, SL hard-retcons almost every single plot line in the last 20 years.

Hence, regardless of what you think about SL lore, i.e. whether it’s good or bad (It’s an abomination for me personally), the SL lore has retconned irreparably the lore from WC3 and all expansions until now, as well as all of the future lore that should be seen through its lenses.
    WoD storyline was "introduced" in MoP with Kairoz. So it was not just limited to that expansion. It was also directly responsible of story of Legion.
    Shadowlands story was "introduced" in Legion when Vuvuzela magically killed off Vol'jin.

If Voljin wouldn't have been killed none of the SL nonsense would have happened. If Kairoz wouldn't make alternative timeline none of that nonsense going forward wouldn't have happened.

BUT the overall enjoyment and involvement in story of WoD was higher for me. SL I just couldn't care less. If it took better turn at the end of WoD we might have better story than sylvanas arc.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV