meh! as plenty of people have pointed out already. the insanse requirements of low level mats are stupid. high end mats are pretty much useless(people just throw them away after grinding them for levels).

the only thing that matters is the lowest tier mats.

just remove 80% of the higher tier mats of every zone and replace em with the low tier stuff and then at least you wont have everyone in the starter zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This. Plus (I assume this extends to all tiers of harvesting materials) you can downcycle higher level mats into lower level mats when needed, you don't have to go out and farm it all yourself. They should make lower level mats drop in higher amounts in high level zones if that doesn't already (doesn't sound like it), but given the ability to downcyle you can conceivably never have to return to lower level zones or worry much about farming low tier materials.
    no you can only do that to refined materials. not the ones you gather.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    This is actually really important to keep the crafting economy healthy. While you can learn all skills it's really not feasible to gather everything yourself (at least for people who don't have 12 hours a day to play), and that means there will always be a market for materials from every tier.

- - - Updated - - -
    the problem is it inflates the cost of low-level mats vs the high-end ones... if they want to stick with this skill and character level needs to vastly increase the amount of low lvl stuff you get.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You are misunderstanding my comment. Critique all you want, but the aim of the critique is misguided when the fundamental methods of interaction and play are legitimately faulty or not working. Whether or not you find something repetitive or dislike the color of turkeys is at best secondary to the gameplay not functioning consistently or otherwise broken elements of interaction.

For example, I upgraded my weapon in NW earlier today. I unsheathed the weapon to look at it, the animation got stuck. When I tried to swap the weapon or cancel it, nothing worked. If it was the animation, whatever. That is unimportant. ButI could not attack anymore, that breaks the gameplay. That IS a big deal.

Games are about gameplay. Being concerned about anything else is always, and without exception, secondary. Games can not function without gameplay; the method in which you interact with the rules of the game.
    Games can have good gameplay but if you aren't immersed in the setting / world / characters / lore / music etc, then there is no purpose to the gameplay and you won't feel the desire to come back. Theres no real drive to go log in, see the next chapter of the adventure and see a cool cinematic, listen to the music of grizzly hills or ashenvale, or take down the Lich King and get a frost wyrm mount as loot.

New world is just keep picking up quests on a mission board and kill wolves/turkeys and turn in health potions or stones till you hit max level and kill the same skinned mobs.

What is the end goal of playing the game? Just to hit level 60 and level up orofessions? Ok.. then what? Whats the point of an MMORPG if there isn't an immersove world you feel a part of.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-10-10 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If game play is the point of games period then why do games spend a lot of their budget on visuals? Strange right? You are wrong, plain and simple. Persistence of my reply doesn't make me wrong lol. It just makes you stubborn. Everything is part of the game and everything about the game can be critiqued. Just because somethings might be a higher priority doesn't mean lower priority things are misguided.
    Ya'know, you're right. I looked back at what I said and it was worded poorly. I had a lot of different issues with the game on my mind at the time and did not isolate what I really wanted to say very well.

I apologize for my misguided comments on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    New world is just keep picking up quests on a mission board and kill wolves/turkeys and turn in health potions or stones till you hit max level and kill the same skinned mobs.

What is the end goal of playing the game? Just to hit level 60 and level up orofessions? Ok.. then what? Whats the point of an MMORPG if there isn't an immersove world you feel a part of.

Today i was considering to try this game out till i read this comment. Huge Fuck No that. nahhh naahhhh!

15+ Year Old Account
    Faction control. Wars can be fun though it is limited to 50 people I think so excludes a lot. But the main thing to do is the faction quests for influence to be able to declare a war. There is even a "hidden" mechanic to increase the speed others gain influence if a faction doesn't own a territory (or may even be company). The devs said they haven't been clear about that part.

It really isn't much different then other MMO's though.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    I may be mistaken on this "take" but I think one of the mistakes many people make is rushing to max level in New World. Levelling is obviously important and is one of the main parts of any MMO, but I get the impression the fact most things happen in end game in World of Warcraft has caused people to have a mindset when going into other MMO's that they need to get to max level asap.

I'm currently only level 22 in New World, I'm playing very casually (mainly because I don't feel obligated by a sub fee) and didn't really bother trying to get online during the first week due to the insane queues, I have 21.3 hours played so far which compared to others is probably an extremely slow levelling pace, but I'm having a blast exploring while on my way to a quest area. I'll be running there and find resources to gather, or see an uncharted landmark nearby and go there instead first, and eventually by the time I actually get to the place where I needed to be, I've spent an hour doing other things, but it doesn't feel like I've wasted my time.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I get the impression the fact most things happen in end game in World of Warcraft has caused people to have a mindset when going into other MMO's that they need to get to max level asap.
    WoW plus most of the other gen 2 MMO's that came out for quite a while after it. Most games were designed that way, with what you did at endgame being largely very different than what you did while leveling, meaning the leveling was more the "tutorial" to get to the "real game". A few MMO's tried to break out of this in small ways, but they largely didn't go far enough and fell into the same traps (thinking SWTOR) or were really lacking in other areas (TSW, which did away with levels entirely). There are vanishingly few MMO's that don't follow this formula (GW2 broke from it hard, but has taken a few steps back to it with raids/strikes. But even those are only a small part of the "endgame" so it's still fairly different in structure). So absolutely, some of this is very much learned behaviors taught by the way a great many gen 2 MMO's were designed.

But some of it is just players being silly and not going into MMO's with different structures with the gen 2 mindset, or simply thinking that they need to be max level for anything they do to matter. I can get part of it with New World, trying to get to max level and grind weapon XP so they can have a big toolkit to play with in PvP and have an edge over lower level players.

Some may get burned out faster that way, but folks will play the game however they think it'll be fun for them.

There are endgame dungeons and endgame pvp, but I'm not trying to change your mind because you're basically correct.
    New World is an odd duck in that it just isn't for everyone. If you don't like the core gameplay loop of grinding to gain power in whatever field you choose to focus then you aren't going to enjoy the game.

For those of us that love that constant increase in character progression and get great satisfaction out of the gather/fight/craft loop it's amazing - but it is certainly niche. Where you want a constantly engaging story I get frustrated when a game is constantly taking me out of playing to tell me whatever poorly written shlock they've tied it to. FF14 is atrocious for this, and WoW has gotten progressively worse about it with their forced dialogue scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

WoW plus most of the other gen 2 MMO's that came out for quite a while after it. Most games were designed that way, with what you did at endgame being largely very different than what you did while leveling, meaning the leveling was more the "tutorial" to get to the "real game". A few MMO's tried to break out of this in small ways, but they largely didn't go far enough and fell into the same traps (thinking SWTOR) or were really lacking in other areas (TSW, which did away with levels entirely). There are vanishingly few MMO's that don't follow this formula (GW2 broke from it hard, but has taken a few steps back to it with raids/strikes. But even those are only a small part of the "endgame" so it's still fairly different in structure). So absolutely, some of this is very much learned behaviors taught by the way a great many gen 2 MMO's were designed.

But some of it is just players being silly and not going into MMO's with different structures with the gen 2 mindset, or simply thinking that they need to be max level for anything they do to matter. I can get part of it with New World, trying to get to max level and grind weapon XP so they can have a big toolkit to play with in PvP and have an edge over lower level players.

Some may get burned out faster that way, but folks will play the game however they think it'll be fun for them.
    I think many people want/need a WoW 2.0 tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Nowadays sure, there are probably tons of folks that applies to. But like, if they're coming to a game like New World thinking it's gonna be WoW 2.0 - especially in terms of design - they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm almost level 20, and its getting to where I have to use 2 weapons.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'm really a fan of the added complexity of constantly changing weapons.

I hope this is just something that is done at lower levels, and once I get to the end game where groups are more common, it won't be necessary anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Faction control. Wars can be fun though it is limited to 50 people I think so excludes a lot. But the main thing to do is the faction quests for influence to be able to declare a war. There is even a "hidden" mechanic to increase the speed others gain influence if a faction doesn't own a territory (or may even be company). The devs said they haven't been clear about that part.

It really isn't much different then other MMO's though.
    You can't participate in the wars if you have a job though. Wars seem to always be at weird times or during work. Wars would be cool if they were happening all of the time like Cyrodil in ESO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see another MMO like pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies. I know I said it earlier but a good Sandbox MMO would be nice right about now that had the customization levels of SWG Pre-CU/NGE
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I may be mistaken on this "take" but I think one of the mistakes many people make is rushing to max level in New World. Levelling is obviously important and is one of the main parts of any MMO, but I get the impression the fact most things happen in end game in World of Warcraft has caused people to have a mindset when going into other MMO's that they need to get to max level asap.

I'm currently only level 22 in New World, I'm playing very casually (mainly because I don't feel obligated by a sub fee) and didn't really bother trying to get online during the first week due to the insane queues, I have 21.3 hours played so far which compared to others is probably an extremely slow levelling pace, but I'm having a blast exploring while on my way to a quest area. I'll be running there and find resources to gather, or see an uncharted landmark nearby and go there instead first, and eventually by the time I actually get to the place where I needed to be, I've spent an hour doing other things, but it doesn't feel like I've wasted my time.

Just my 2 cents.
    no you're not wrong, just to add some more anecdotal stuff to the mix, i'm sitting on 80 hours played and i'm character lvl 36, however all of my professions are above 110 right now, i have actively gone out of my way to keep them up to par with character level so that when i do hit 60, my professions will all be around the level cap so i can gather all the highest tier materials in the game and not have to worry about running around like many of the streamers and content creators are doing now in low lvl zones fighting low lvl players over resource spawns because they power levelled up to 60 and have profession skills all sub 50's.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't participate in the wars if you have a job though. Wars seem to always be at weird times or during work. Wars would be cool if they were happening all of the time like Cyrodil in ESO.
    times for wars are all based on moronic US time, which i can't really fathom why as someone playing on the EU server block i should be stuck with that restriction, i either stay up way too late and risk not getting enough sleep for work to participate in a war that could determine if my faction controls a zone or loses it to another, or i forgo the experience and just have to live with the fact that i missed out on the opportunity to have a say in the matter.

I mean...training enemies onto unsuspecting players, while dickish, is absolutely a feature IMO. Bringing some old EQ flashbacks.
    Yeah, a feature for griefing. Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osperand View Post
    And WoW endgame is not the same endless grind? Raid or PvP that are your choices, you cannot craft anything decent so crafting is rubbish apart from low level stuff or cosmetic/fluff. World quests, same quests repeated over and over.

Everything you point out as a flaw, could be said the same for WoW.

Lets face it, WoW player numbers while respectable are on a constant decline with brief blips back up now and again but never getting to previous highs. That is to be expected. I think i would be more worried for people who are unable to put the game down, there is some deep seated psychological issues there. It is not healthy to just play one game, that just encourages obsession.
    It is the same type of grind, but it's not the same grind every time. In New World it is, because everything is copy & paste. Areas, enemies, bosses, mechanics. In WoW there was at least some variety, even back in Vanilla. New World simply doesn't have that at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    When the combat AI works (which is most of the time), it is far more engaging than the usual tab target MMO. They actually move around, dodge and block instead of being some mindless dmg bot. The combat system provides opportunity to kill things far higher lv than the player if they can avoid dmg effectively whereas tab-target MMOs makes it impossible when the rolls are against you.
    This has nothing to do with "when the AI works". The evading and blocking are programmed scripts that always happen after a certain time or an enemy reaches a certain HP treshold. Has nothing to do with AI when it's just following a very basic script. That's why every enemy has the exact same pattern and always, in every fight, is doing the exact same thing, no matter what you as a player do. Just look at the wolves, they always act the same way. Engage you - normal attack - normal attack - charged up attack - normal attack - normal attack. This is true for every enemy in game, even dungeon bosses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
    It is completely normal for a new game launch. People are curious and want to experience it for themselves. The ones that don't like it will leave and it's again, normal.

From my point of view tbh, I'm happy those people are not staying because they would ruin others' gameplay by continuously moaning in chat about things they don't like.

A bit of a rhetorical question for you, personally: does it make you happy making other people unhappy? Or when you trash a game and it turns out you were right about it... does it make your world a better place?!
    You think it's normal to have these massive drops? Sure, they are expected. But look at their numbers:

Source: https://www.newworldstatus.com/

Just compare both Saturdays (Oct 2 and 9), one week apart: they lost 100k players during primetime within a week, that's a drop of 20%. Or just look at the drop from Wednesday to Thursday / Friday this week - about 10% lower already. Give this one or two more weeks and the numbers will decrease drastically because casuals will reach that phase in New World were a) your progress is incredibly slowed down (around 30-35) while b) the tasks get even more repetitive and grindy. Casuals are slowly progressing towards this roadblock and it shows. I think Amazon made a huge mistake displaying player and queue numbers in the client, this will backfire soon - and I'm sure they're going to remove this information in the near future as well.

By pointing out these facts, I'm not making people unhappy unless reality makes people unhappy. But that's none of my business. Everybody who's enjoying the game and liking it can choose to ignore these things and keep enjoying it, my posts won't have an influence on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    They probably thought "How much money can we get with the least amount of effort possible?" (reused zones, reused assets, bland and generic quests, etc.)
    Totally this. They basically released this game already to make cash out of first day / week sales because this game for sure has no longevity or monetizing attached to it. And they released it right now because the genre is starving: Retail WoW is in its worst state its evet been, FFXIV is awaiting the next expansion, GW2 is awaiting its next expansion, ESO is awaiting its next content DLC - all of the four major MMORPGs did not have any new content for months and are still months away from getting something new, that's why they released New World by the end of September.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    I'm almost level 20, and its getting to where I have to use 2 weapons.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'm really a fan of the added complexity of constantly changing weapons.

I hope this is just something that is done at lower levels, and once I get to the end game where groups are more common, it won't be necessary anymore.
    Basically it's the other way round: in lower levels you really don't need to change your weapons at all. You can stick to one weapon and use that all of the time. In higher levels / on max level weapon swap is required to be effective.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-10-10 at 07:20 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Not if it's made by the current development team. It'll just be more BFA/SL garbage all over again with time gated content, several unnecessary systems that are impossible to balance, ECT ECT. The only thing the current WoW development team did right, in my opinion, are the raids and the zones look really good.

My memory has been playing with me. I thought that New World was that mmo that had been getting lots of buzz last year as THE shining mmo on the hill. Now I remember that was supposed to be Ashes of Creation. Is there still hype for AoC?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Not if it's made by the current development team. It'll just be more BFA/SL garbage all over again with time gated content, several unnecessary systems that are impossible to balance, ECT ECT. The only thing the current WoW development team did right, in my opinion, are the raids and the zones look really good.
    Blizzard has alwayd done the dungeons, zones(most of the time) and raids good. Thats the weird thing with them. They deliver so good on these fronts, but always screw up the total impresson of xpacs in other areas.

Honestly, most of the systems they have introduced has more or less done everything worse and we would be much better off without them. Imagine BfA or SL without any extra systems. At the very least that would make the game highly accessible for everyone+easy to play alts.

With NW its plain and easy enough to understand the jists of it. No extra stuff to grind just to get powers or whatever. its just play the game, for the games sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    My memory has been playing with me. I thought that New World was that mmo that had been getting lots of buzz last year as THE shining mmo on the hill. Now I remember that was supposed to be Ashes of Creation. Is there still hype for AoC?
    That goes for any big new MMO coming out. The hypetrain starts early and drops off after release cause no game really meets the expectations of the players in one way or another.

AoC has hype for it, but theres no reason to think to much of it right now. That game is far off release. I bet they follow the NW launch very closely and learn from it. AoC is probably the next big hype mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Absolutely. The thing is, it's still in (early) Alpha and not anywhere close to finished. But all of what they've shown in Ashes of Creation is so much more developed and thought through than anything in New World. That's the difference when you have developers that care and burn for their genre vs. developers that just create something to earn money. I'd recommend subscribing to the newsletter, they send out monthly developer letters which are very informative. Plus their developer streams where they go over a specific area they're working on at the moment.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again