Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I feel like half the people who make posts like this think to themselves "blood elf druid and night elf paladin!" when the reality is, that is a tough pill to swallow when you also introduce Pandaren Demon Hunters, Goblin Paladins and Tauren Rogues.
    The Grimtotem have tauren rogues. And satyr also have rogues so you can't make the argument that they're too large or too noisy with their hooves. They simply disapprove of the tactics and lifestyle, same as draenei.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I wouldn't go for all-out with every class/race, but a Cata style expansion fitted in lore would be welcome to make most available.

I really loved how Tauren Paladin/Priests Sunwalkers was introduced with a couple of Druids reflecting on the horrors they witnessed in Northrend.

A couple of combinations that are stationed in lore, and that perhaps now the story is ready to introduce them:

Draenei: Demon Hunter; Rogue; [Why Demon Hunter but not a warlock? A demon hunter is a sacrifice for the greater good, while a warlock is about greed and domination - it won't fit Draenai likewise. An alternative is an Eredar allied race (for the horde) that has warlocks. Why no druid? I don't see a link with animal spirits or even what kind of animals they would shape shift in. An alternative is a Broken allied race (for the alliance) that has druids like the Broken in TBC]
    Dwarf: [Don't see lore reasons to add Demon Hunter or Druid here]
    Gnome: [Don't see lore reasons to add Demon Hunter or Druid here]
    Human: Shaman; Druid;
    Night Elf: Paladin;
    Worgen: Monk (w/o a Pandaren trainer in the starting area; akin to how druid is set up)
    Dark Iron Dwarf:
    Kul Tiran: Paladin:
    Lightforged Draenei:
    Void Elf: Demon Hunter; Paladin;

Blood Elf: Druid;
    Goblin: Monk;
    Orc: Demon Hunter; Priest;
    Tauren: Mage; Rogue;
    Troll: Paladin;
    Undead: Paladin;
    Highmountain Tauren: Mage; Paladin; Priest; Rogue;
    Mah’Har Orc: Demon Hunter;
    Nightborne:
    Vulpera:
    Zandalari Troll: Warlock
    Last edited by Rockefellah; 2022-04-05 at 01:20 PM.

I feel like half the people who make posts like this think to themselves "blood elf druid and night elf paladin!" when the reality is, that is a tough pill to swallow when you also introduce Pandaren Demon Hunters, Goblin Paladins and Tauren Rogues.
    I would accept these if they required some gruelling hard achievement to unlock.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I can't think of any other game that isn't an MMO that locks classes to races. So saying it removes the "RPG origins" makes absolutely no sense to me.
    A lot of Eastern MMOs for certain. But EQ never did it which was the biggest influence in the space before WoW, so the concept of race-class restrictions was sort of introduced into the MMORPG genre by Blizzard to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    The Grimtotem have tauren rogues. And satyr also have rogues so you can't make the argument that they're too large or too noisy with their hooves. They simply disapprove of the tactics and lifestyle, same as draenei.
    Indeed Tauren wise its because the player character is seen Bloodhoof Clan. But Grimtotem has no issue with rogues and their tactics of stealth and poison.

Runetotem Clan is the one who rediscovered the way of the Druid; but went out to teach this to the Bloodhoof Tauren.

Lore wise it's possible to have Grimtotem Tauren teach Bloodhof Tauren how to be rogues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    The evil Highmountain tribe could make a pretty easy lore bridge to bring in Warlock Tauren? Like how Higborne were used to justify NE mages.
    Since when are the Highmountain evil?
    Last edited by Rockefellah; 2022-04-05 at 01:04 PM.

No. Please no. Don't ruin the lore anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Long story short: every single race should be able to choose and pick whatever class they want to play.
    No because of Lore reasons... Don't get me wrong I think it would be amazing to have a gnomish (or mechagnomish) Demon Hunter.

Granted Lore does take a backseat to gameplay but Blizzard's been ok at loosening restrictions as time passes... so maybe one day we can have mechagnomish demon hunters but only after the dream of trinker or bard class comes to wow.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

It would be a ton of work but I'd be down for throwing the doors wide IF racial class distinctions made a come back in a big way. For instance, Orc Arms Warriors had unique Blademaster abilities... or Blood Elven Fire Mages were considered Blood Mages with unique spells... or Undead Marksman Hunters could gain unique Dark Ranger abilities... or Goblin and Gnomish Druids were Tinkers instead. By making each Class different depending on the Race it could add a ton to customization and flavor to each. Now I'm not just saying glyph the ability and keep everything the same... no each should play slightly different with different cooldowns or focuses on different abilities... essentially different builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefellah View Post
    Indeed Tauren wise its because the player character is seen Bloodhoof Clan. But Grimtotem has no issue with rogues and their tactics of stealth and poison.

Runetotem Clan is the one who rediscovered the way of the Druid; but went out to teach this to the Bloodhoof Tauren.

Lore wise it's possible to have Grimtotem Tauren teach Bloodhof Tauren how to be rogues.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you played the Highmountain zone?

Like a entire subsect of the Highmountain Tauren join the Legion.....

5+ Year Old Account
    Lore doesn't matter anymore so I suppose what I am about to say is moot.

I think classes should be locked behind certain races based upon the lore, and for the sake of story cohesion. By "story cohesion", I mean that every element of the story/stories being told fits logically in the universe. Why are Alliance paladins mostly humans? Because the faith of the Light is primary to the humans in the Warcraft universe. Why are night elves not paladins? Because they don't serve the faith of the Light, they serve the faith of the Moon Goddess and nature. Hence why they specialize in arcane and nature. (This is just one example.)

Once any race can be any class, the game becomes an arcade game because lore no longer matters. And attempts to try to shoe horn, e.g., Pandaren as paladins ends up stretch the lore so far that it is no longer coherent with rest of the story.

If one wants Warcraft to become an arcade game, where lore is irrelevant, then make that argument.

Long story short: every single race should be able to choose and pick whatever class they want to play.

It seems that developers are too afraid to challenge and experiment with some of these foundations that almost doesn't mean anything in reality. Finding the ways and then allowing players to pick a class and their favorite race, and combine them together, would be an ideal and satisfactory outcome. Some of these magical inventions should take place now, without any fear.

I'm not invested in WoW, nor I play this game, posting out of nostalgia believing that the ancient and almost religious stubbornness isn't a right way to go. And with a upcoming cross-faction, the all-time sworn enemies Horde and Alliance are coming to play together for the rest of the time. It only a proves that they can do more with breaking up those ancient chains. The old men and women who wrote Warcraft aren't any fabric of any reality, everything can (and should) change in favor of a better future.
    The game is build on fundamental RGP elements.

It's like saying every hero in LoL/DoTA should have every skill. Or there should be no counter terrorist/terrorists in CS.

If you don't play and if you are not invested - the suggestion itself says everything. Why bother creating this thread?
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-04-05 at 01:28 PM.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    The reason they haven't done this isn't to preserve RPG elements or racial identity or any of that crap.
    The only reason they haven't is because they don't want to invest the time into it.
    Having arbitrary restrictions means they don't have to make new druid forms for Humans or Gnomes (because you know damn well if they just gave them the Nelf forms, people would lose their goddamn minds).
    It means they don't have to worry about spell/ability motions on different character rigs.
    It means they don't have to put in the time to make it a reality, because at the end of the day, what does this really gain them?
    How many undead hunters do you see? I see tons of orcs/trolls but hardly an undead one, and that was unlocked a couple expansions ago.
    It yielded very little, and unlocking every class for every race would be a lot of work for not a lot of fruit.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I am okay with classes locked from certain races. I do not see the need for every race to be every class. I want to see lore reasons for why a class evolves the way it does.

Like there is lore reasons to give Night Elves Paladins after Legion, and given the time since Legion, you could argue that more followed the path of a Paladin.
    Certainly better lore reasons than Tauren realized that they also worshipped the Sun and Sunwalkers are Paladins.

There are ways to expand certain race selections.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    The reason they haven't done this isn't to preserve RPG elements or racial identity or any of that crap.
    The only reason they haven't is because they don't want to invest the time into it.
    Having arbitrary restrictions means they don't have to make new druid forms for Humans or Gnomes (because you know damn well if they just gave them the Nelf forms, people would lose their goddamn minds).
    It means they don't have to worry about spell/ability motions on different character rigs.
    It means they don't have to put in the time to make it a reality, because at the end of the day, what does this really gain them?
    How many undead hunters do you see? I see tons of orcs/trolls but hardly an undead one, and that was unlocked a couple expansions ago.
    It yielded very little, and unlocking every class for every race would be a lot of work for not a lot of fruit.
    Pretty much this.

I think Druids and DHs would be something like 100+ models alone if they added them to every race. Assuming there's also no new races in 10.0.

They could get around it by giving everyone generic forms. But honestly that would significantly ruin the appeal of the class for many. And for what, so 0.00017% of people could play as a Goblin druid.

While I'm not a fan of every race every class crap, the game itself is already in a pretty pathetic state anyway ... we have flying horses, cats, mice, oxes, pigs, ponies and even octopus.
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-04-05 at 01:48 PM.

It seems that developers are too afraid to challenge and experiment with some of these foundations that almost doesn't mean anything in reality. Finding the ways and then allowing players to pick a class and their favorite race, and combine them together, would be an ideal and satisfactory outcome. Some of these magical inventions should take place now, without any fear.

I'm not invested in WoW, nor I play this game, posting out of nostalgia believing that the ancient and almost religious stubbornness isn't a right way to go. And with a upcoming cross-faction, the all-time sworn enemies Horde and Alliance are coming to play together for the rest of the time. It only a proves that they can do more with breaking up those ancient chains. The old men and women who wrote Warcraft aren't any fabric of any reality, everything can (and should) change in favor of a better future.
    Absolutely not without any lore or background tying them to a certain class. That's just a cheapening of the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I can't think of any other game that isn't an MMO that locks classes to races. So saying it removes the "RPG origins" makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Of course it does, because every race differs in its class lore. The moment you give up on that, everyone is the same.

The chinese are sensitive to the topic of demonic corruption, so no Panda Demon Hunters.
    Tauren Rogues might exist as Grimototem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    The evil Highmountain tribe could make a pretty easy lore bridge to bring in Warlock Tauren? Like how Higborne were used to justify NE mages.
    They were all but excluded from joining the Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Agreed a thousand times.

Makes literally zero sense for any of the classes to be locked behind any of the races.

Imagine you're sitting at table playing D&D with your friends, and your DM insists that you can't be a Goblin Paladin, and just whines "because they caaaan't!" over and over and over again. You'd wanna slap em.
    It makes perfect sense because that's why you have lore.
    It's like having all races be Humans or all classes be Warrior because we're sensitive to the idea of division.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbayne View Post
    Not draenei warlocks, I don't want blue draenei warlocks, I will however accept eredar warlocks, since the fel TURNS THEM INTO MAN'ARI. Fel turns them from blue to grayish, brownish, redish or greenish. Happy to cite examples.
    Too late. Doomsayer Jurim already exists.
    And by the way, did you forget that Archimonde is blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I think one of the best things they could do for the health of the game would be to open up all class and race combos and then remove racials and factions. Then everyone could just be whatever they wanted and would all be one pool of players. Of course there is almost no chance they ever actually do it.
    No. Racials are important to the lore and RP of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    And this is much applied to classes... Some don't work because well, it's literally impossible... like a Green Orc using the Light is impossible (I've seen people tell me otherwise that Shadowmoon Orcs are priests because they use the void, and I keep telling them 'No, they're Mag'har. They didn't drink the demon blood koolaid.') or the fact that Tauren and Draenei can't be Rogues unless they have something to soften the sound of their hooves.
    Mag'har's Priest lore is because they delve into the Void. They have nothing to do with the Light.
    Tauren and Draenei Rogues already exist. Check out Altaair and the Grimtotem tribe.

Even that one blood elf boss in Botanica who a lot of people thought was a druid, turned out to be a skilled botanist that he could turn into a tree on a whim. The only one that makes sense is Paladin Night Elves, because the recent expansion (maybe not THAT recent since it was 5 years ago), Legion, confirmed that Paladin Night Elves were a thing and you even recruit one of them as a follower.
    False:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...s-combinations

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    If a Panda can teach a zombie how to be a Monk, there's no reason it can't learn to be a Shaman or even a Demon Hunter. Dwarves and Goblins can be Shaman, but Gnomes can't? Explain that to me. Tauren Rogues are hilarious and ironic which is more than enough reason to add them.
    Which is the worst kind of lore. No lore whatsoever behind Monk races aside from Pandaren.
    Gnomes Shamans are possible through technology, like the Goblins.

I would argue that opening up all race/class possibilities does way more for individuality for the player than restrictions do.
    No, actually, it does the opposite because everyone is the same.

If you want to be a Demon Hunter you're limited to 2 races, woohoo individuality /s
    Check this out, then:
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...s-combinations

With every possibility open, literally hundreds of unique new opportunities become possible. Mechagnome Druids with Robotic animal forms? Like fuck yeah yes please.[/QUOTE]

There is a Gnome Druid in Hearthstone.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    That's actually the epitome of individuality??? The ability to choose how you see fit to represent yourself in both class and race, instead of being blockaded by arbitrary limitations promotes more individuality, since the density of each race representing each class should, in theory, drop dramatically (there will always be those that will always roll 'bis' races)
    Lore is not arbitrarily.
    That's why you have different races and classes to begin with.

See? Along with the NE paladin we have seen in Legion I'm sure we could find examples of almost all race/class combos if we tried very hard :P
    Not all. But, a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I'd like a Belf druid but Im a fan boy so.
    Rangers already tap into nature magic.

Why no druid? I don't see a link with animal spirits or even what kind of animals they would shape shift in. An alternative is a Broken allied race (for the alliance) that has druids like the Broken in TBC]
    Broken don't have Druids. Lost Ones do.

Dwarf: [Don't see lore reasons to add Demon Hunter or Druid here]
    Wildhammer can already be Druids in lore.
    There's a Dwarf Demon Hunter in Hearthstone.

Gnome: [Don't see lore reasons to add Demon Hunter or Druid here]
    There's a Gnome Druid in lore.

Void Elf: Paladin;
    Doesn't make sense in the slightest.

Highmountain Tauren: Mage; Rogue;
    They don't have either.

Mah’Har Orc: Demon Hunter;
    Literally goes against their very being.

Zandalari Troll: Warlock
    Was retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    They were all but excluded from joining the Horde.
    Ok? Highborne were excluded from being in the Allaince until they weren't.....

If Blizzard wanted to add warlock Tauren there's a pretty easy link with the Bloodtotem
    Last edited by Wonderment2; 2022-04-05 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    If you don't play and if you are not invested - the suggestion itself says everything. Why bother creating this thread?
    To stir the pot, I'd wager.

The Bloodtotem tribe splinter off and join the legion, becoming the Feltotem tribe.

I can't see them becoming playable.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Because fk individuality? Maybe a draenie or two would like to learn to become a warlock?
    "Hey, you know what? I kinda feel like despite having to abandon our world and being chased for 13,000 years by our people who decided to become warlocks...I'll become a warlock."

"Oh that's fine, I'm sure the rest of our entire race will be perfectly happy for you to just do what the people who were chasing us for 13,000 years were doing."

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not invested in WoW, nor I play this game,
    There is the problem at. You don't play and don't know the lore of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    To stir the pot, I'd wager.

The Bloodtotem tribe splinter off and join the legion, becoming the Feltotem tribe.

I can't see them becoming playable.
    The surviving Bloodtotem are hanging out at Thunder Totem; I could see some of them picking it back up. Sure, they’d be shunned, lorewise, but most warlocks are. (Except for Forsaken, Blood Elves and probably Vulpera)

I mean, the Nightborne were also nearly brought to ruin by the Legion, had a sect of traitors called Felborne, and they still get to have Warlocks. Let the Tauren play. It’d also give the HMT something distinct from the base Tauren.