Poll: Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will dominate the MMORPG Market?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I don’t follow them either, but I’ve seen on more than one occasion people shit posting about Valorant or League shop prices. Like $100 gun skins in Valorant crazy.
    Yeah, there are a few "ultra-premium" items like that but they're the exception rather than the rule. And honestly like, if some rich boi with money to burn wants to get the "sick" skin for their gun that doesn't impact the gameplay at all but will subsidize a bunch of free players for a while, that's a pretty sweet deal for free players. Gotta have whale bait to get the whales spending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I will be interested to see how Street does. He's smart, and his scientific background may well help him minimize self-deception.
    This was the same guy who wrote that blog telling people to suck it up when it came to hard dungeons. Not so sure about that minimizing self deception bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rito now have budget of infinity, they can easily produce whatever they want
    the question do they want best game, or most addictive game (easy example Doom eternal is no question way better than Genshin impact, but its profit is sadly far lower in comparison too)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Riot is the only company that i belive can do things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    This was the same guy who wrote that blog telling people to suck it up when it came to hard dungeons. Not so sure about that minimizing self deception bit.
    I think he learned a lesson from that. We'll see.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

For the first few months of its existence, yes, based on LoL numbers alone. After that, who knows?

It is definitly going to be big at first. All of the league of legends players will try it. That will be huge numbers if a lot of the league players like it. If it is good to them, then it will be a really big MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Greg Street has his way with the MMO given his views on difficulty, probably not. It will be solid but not world-beating. One might think he's learned the lesson of Cataclysm and "Dungeons are Hard" but he's not been quiet since he left Blizzard and he's said more than once that WoW is too easy. Time will tell. I'm sure that the MMO piece will get off to a great start on the back of the wonderful series that recently aired on Netflix and the lore that was revealed in it. How it goes from there remains to be seen.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

So weird how everyone fixates on that quote yet always forgets his "most people quit when friends stop playing or because they have less time, not because of the design decisions."

I guess probably because that one doesn't validate everyone's pre-existing notions that everyone quits for the same reasons they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    It is definitly going to be big at first. All of the league of legends players will try it. That will be huge numbers if a lot of the league players like it. If it is good to them, then it will be a really big MMO.
    Pretty sure it's not going to be targeted at a US/Western market for that reasons. And it probably won't look like whatever people here are expecting.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Pretty sure it's not going to be targeted at a US/Western market for that reasons. And it probably won't look like whatever people here are expecting.
    But LoL was targeted at that market before it blew up in China, and Riot remains a US based company with primarily locals working outta the HQ where games are made. No reason to change what was, and largely still is working.

I think we've got a good idea of how it'll look in terms of overall style and direction, it'll look...exactly like all of their other media has so far. The biggest departure is Arcane, which has more of a painterly style to it, but outside of that they seem to be putting a lot of effort towards a unified "look" to the universe over the years. It's smart, makes their shit instantly recognizable no matter what kind of visual media it is. If folks are expecting it to look at lot like League/Arcane/Hextech/Ruined King/Project L (their fighting game in the works), they're probably on the right track.

I meant look like in terms of gameplay and features not literally appearance. Just very much doubt it's going to be a traditional MMO
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Rito now have budget of infinity, they can easily produce whatever they want
    the question do they want best game, or most addictive game (easy example Doom eternal is no question way better than Genshin impact, but its profit is sadly far lower in comparison too)
    better is subjective, doom is a one and done game, genshin impact is a game to keep you playing, you could say the game that keeps you playing is better. Any game that can provide constant gameplay over the long term is the better game.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    better is subjective, doom is a one and done game, genshin impact is a game to keep you playing, you could say the game that keeps you playing is better. Any game that can provide constant gameplay over the long term is the better game.
    Many "modern games" are designed to be played "forever".
    Path of Exile is a prime example of this.
    "Better" or "worse" are subjective. In the gaming business, just as in any other, "good" or "bad" is measured in how much money it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Easyclassictopkeklel View Post
    It will pull insanely big launch numbers and I almost can guarantee you that it will have a HUGE playerbase after that, if the game is even a bit decent.
    There are many people attracted by the league universe who arent into mobas, the outstanding netflix series attracts even more people, LOL players will try the game, WOW players are DESPERATE for a good game thats why so many of them try every new MMO out there (New World lel), it will have the biggest hype of all MMO titles, it will have a huge streaming coverage from the get go...just so many aspects which will help the game with its success.

Meh I agree with Stormdash on this one, it'll come and go. Look at everyone who left WOW for FF, they're either back on WOW or off FF.

If it's got good endgame and a decent levelling experience? Then I'd love to see it do well, I'm pretty bored of WoW this and XIV that, we need more big MMOs on the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you mean by "big" if you mean on the level of games like ESO and GW2? Most likely. They have the resources and talent to make something that's solid and has some staying power. If you mean will it surpass WoW and FF14? Well that is to be seen, but I highly doubt it would do so immediately. It'd likely have to go the FF14 route of consistently putting out good content for years.

If it has Wildstar's combat system I'll play it until I die.

If it's not, then it's proof that the genre is dead.

League of Legends is the most popular PC videogame ever, if the company that made LoL can't make the next big MMORPG, with all the budget, hype, popularity this series has, then it's proof that the genre is dead and nothing will save it.

With this being said, the LoL mmorpg, like WoW, has a very rich and established universe that has been developed since 2014 (the year when they started treating the setting seriously). So, it has 8 years and counting of world-building, including an RPG game (Ruined King), a TV show (Arcane, which has been renewed for a second season), and novels/comics. It's like WoW, which had years of world-building via the RPGs and novels. If nothing else, I think the videogame will have a lot of story potential to truly expand the universe.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-08-30 at 09:08 PM.

We know NOTHING about it, how can we judge it yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    League of Legends is the most popular PC videogame ever
    Uhm, according to who?

I can't find a single list where it's even in the running. Not for most copies sold, not from most critics, not... oh wait, I finally found one. For most active players at one time, and then it's only coming in at 6th place.

So yeah, according to who?