Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Leveled a character from 20 to 120 during the 100% bonus, BfA leveling is horrid

It's all fun and games until you ding 110... or being more precise, until you hit 113 or 114. When compared to other expansions, the balancing of mobs its just awful, and gets worse the more you level until 120. You basically die on everything unless you wear plate or are hunter-warlock.

Before I get called whiny or something, I have to say that this never happened on any previous expansions... I remember Legion leveling from 100-110 pretty smooth, same with previous expansions and their respective brackets. BfA leveling its just cancerous. This is something I noticed back on 2018 the first times I played BfA, and I hoped they would fix it on later patches but seems like not. Feels like the random mobs powercreeps your character, and this shouldnt happen.

Anyways, there are any ways to make this chore of leveling 110-120 more easier (and faster)? I think I give up on BfA leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    People wanted harder leveling afterall.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I've done this leveling several times, it isn't bad. The reason that it'll feel bad now, is because you level so fast you're missing out on gear upgrades to continue making you relevant against mobs as you level and they level.

It's literally the same if you level via timewalking and attempt to quest at the same time. Depending on your class, you're gonna have a bad time.

You can get a friend who is in below level 70~ or so. Give them lead in a party and have them random queue for either classic, BC, or LK dungeons. If you haven't done them you get scaled quests which are great and the bonus exp at the end of the run is far higher than BFA random queues (this works for Cata/MoP dungeons too, just not as well).

You can also re-quest in lower level areas if you have a friend and use party sync. This might be bordering on an "exploit" but there are a few areas with dense easy quests. Just leave and rejoin party sync and keep turning them in, you can level really quickly that way too.

To make the experience easier, make sure to use heirlooms and keep your gear relevant. You're leveling 110-120 in less than a single zone so by the time you're 114-115~, your gear will be very weak and outdated.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2020-04-04 at 06:02 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds solely like a problem with the player not the game. I leveled a shaman rouge and monk and had no problem staying alive even when aoe pulling without or without heirlooms even it was no problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    You must be doing something terribly wrong, if you are dying while leveling. Maybe try not to pull 15 mobs at once, if you are not DH. Otherwise it is impossible to die.

Quote Originally Posted by AkundaMrdal View Post
    You must be doing something terribly wrong, if you are dying while leveling. Maybe try not to pull 15 mobs at once, if you are not DH. Otherwise it is impossible to die.
    110-120 heirlooms are probaly the worst they've ever been. Below azerite pieces AND no traits, it's awful for a lot of classes

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just dinged 120 and had no problem with the mid tier leves. No heirlooms.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKnives View Post
    It's all fun and games until you ding 110... or being more precise, until you hit 113 or 114. When compared to other expansions, the balancing of mobs its just awful, and gets worse the more you level until 120. You basically die on everything unless you wear plate or are hunter-warlock.

Before I get called whiny or something, I have to say that this never happened on any previous expansions... I remember Legion leveling from 100-110 pretty smooth, same with previous expansions and their respective brackets. BfA leveling its just cancerous. This is something I noticed back on 2018 the first times I played BfA, and I hoped they would fix it on later patches but seems like not. Feels like the random mobs powercreeps your character, and this shouldnt happen.

Anyways, there are any ways to make this chore of leveling 110-120 more easier (and faster)? I think I give up on BfA leveling.
    Bollocks, I've leveled 13 or 14 characters to 120 by now and sure, some were harder than others - but that was because of the class or spec - not the game. And with the 100% bonus, you'll ding 120 before evening finishing one of the zones.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Definitely find that the last 10 levels are a slog, and I wanna say that's normal and working as intended, but I didn't feel this at all in legion.

I've basically parked new alts (at least during this event) at 110 to wait for lower level friends to group with, or timewalking to make the trip to 120, and if they sit there until shadowlands, I can just catch them up to the current expansion in more of Legion! Thankfully allied race heritage armor unlocks at 110!

Before I get called whiny or something, I have to say that this never happened on any previous expansions...
    yeah, adding this caveat doesn’t make it suddenly not whiny. Just leveled a monk to 120 and 428 I level in 1 day 4 hours /played (Rosalee- Kil’Jaeden us). Enjoyed the whole process as I do with all my characters.

Hit 110, wait until time walking and grind dungeons. Even as a dps the queues are short and you gain 1-2 levels per dungeon.

I really never experienced the difficulty youre talking about. I leveled a monk and a demon hunter (both in dps spec) and never experienced a hint of difficulty while leveling 110-120. I admit i limited myself to 2-3 mobs at once. The leveling was a bit slow, but never hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're gonna have a terrible time if you try to level with full heirlooms. Use three Azerite pieces and there's no problem. It was tested that leveling with 3xAzerite and rest heirlooms is faster than full heirlooms anyway.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Bollocks, I've leveled 13 or 14 characters to 120 by now and sure, some were harder than others - but that was because of the class or spec - not the game. And with the 100% bonus, you'll ding 120 before evening finishing one of the zones.
    Even before the 100% xp bonus, if you had full heirlooms you could ding 110-120 in one zone plus the initial 3 war campaign quests easily. The initial war campaign quests are a hefty chunk of xp, and they're required to unlock end-game content, and they'll get you 1-2 levels by themselves... but for some reason most people don't do them until they hit 120 and miss out.

A lot of the slowing during leveling is just the scaling of stats with classes, as your stat weights get weaker as you level (especially the faster you level and can't get gear upgrades just as fast). For example, you're basically going to watch your secondary stat percentages plummet as you level, as the percent per stat rating inflates every level. I remember back in MoP specifically when leveling a mage that my DPS at 90 was way lower than it was at 85-86, and this was with terrible gear... and while it's not as extreme now, the scaling issue still exists in BfA. To make matters worse, ability scaling such as heals scale terribly the higher level you go.

All this has happened for many expansions, people just tend to notice it most towards the end of their leveling experience as it tends to scale the worst around there. There is one blip just before the Cataclysm leveling area where starting out is really rough, as that's when mastery starts to become a stat and can boost up the DPS of some classes quite considerably or just make them function better. Again, not as severe as it used to be due to stat/gear scaling and the previous squish, but it still exists.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leveled to 120 too, didn't experience this difficulty curve you are speaking of.

It just got slower during 110-120 because it requires more exp per level, but it works like that for every current expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're upset the game is killing you?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    110-120 heirlooms are probaly the worst they've ever been. Below azerite pieces AND no traits, it's awful for a lot of classes
    I'm not upgrading heirlooms since WoD, in BFA I leveled every class except priest and DK and had absolutely no problem on any of them. Few deaths from overpull, pirates in voldun with their stuns are pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eace View Post
    You're gonna have a terrible time if you try to level with full heirlooms. Use three Azerite pieces and there's no problem. It was tested that leveling with 3xAzerite and rest heirlooms is faster than full heirlooms anyway.
    I think it depends on the class/spec, as the abilities azerite armor empowers for some classes/specs don't always help with how you play as you level, don't matter much until you get max level, or require multiple trait interactions to excel. Defensively, though, azerite armor will certainly beat heirlooms because it's max level and tends to have healing/absorb traits available pretty quickly. The problem is that with the speed of leveling, by the time you get a 3rd azerite piece you're probably at/near max level nowadays since they tend to come of the end of long chain quests.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I enjoyed Drustvar, and I can do that zone over and over, but man when it gets to Tiragarde Sound it is awful. I hate Tiragarde Sound. That's why when I level I just do Drustvar, then once I'm done with it, I level the rest with Timewalking.