Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Veterans War

As the Thunderhammer Army makes it final preparations for the campaign into the Arathi Highlands, a visitor arrives.

Deep in the Mountains of Dun Morogh......

A dwarf and his guards are accompanied by a Scarlet Crusade ambassador as they ascend a natural ramp in the northern reaches of the Thunderhammer Valley. The weather is cold, which is normal for this altitude and snow can be seen falling slowly. All through the valley the sound of machinery and the bellow of massive forges can be heard. Farther off rifle shots and the echoes of artillery sounding off can be heard in the distance. The dwarf and the ambassador stop at a clearing overlooking the valley.

"This, Ambassador Lavey, is the grand view of the Thunderhammer Valley. From here you can see the factories and forges on the right side of the valley. On the left side of the valley you can see the barracks and the training grounds. As we continue up we will eventually get to the artillery range."

(THIS IS AN OPEN RP FEEL FREE TO JOIN AT ANYTIME)
    (THIS THREAD WILL DEAL WITH THE JOURNEY TO STROMGARDE AND THE WAR FOR IT AND THE ARATHI BASIN)
    (HORDE, ALLIANCE AND NEUTRAL PARTIES ARE ALLOWED TO JOIN)

10+ Year Old Account
    Aleister looked around at the valley that the dwarf next to him was presenting to him and he had to admit, it was impresive, the sight of the hundreds of dwarves beneath beating metals and shaping them into powerful weapons, the sounds of gunfire as they fired their rounds out across the artillery range ahead of them.

"I have to say that this is most impressive. I had no idea that the alliance had so much resources at its disposal. Although it makes me wonder why Lordaeron was abandoned so if there were this many resources... alas it is no matter, what is done is done."

10+ Year Old Account
    "Thats just the thing Ambassader, this army is entirely financed by me wealth. Every vehicle you see here was once derelict and out of use. I purchased all of these from the Alliance and with me school of engineers were refit every one of them to be better and more powerful than their Alliance counterparts. You see, Ambassader, the Alliance has no knowledge of this army, nor does the Horde. Lets continue moving forward I would like for you to see our artillery guns at work."

10+ Year Old Account
    "Ahh... a private army... yes that does make sense. But please, lead the way, this is definitely a very... enlightening experience."

10+ Year Old Account
    After walking for a few minutes the group reached the top of the valley and the area here had been leveled off. From this vantage point one could see for miles in any direction. The view is amazing. Six artillery pieces were lined in a row facing into the mountains and valleys far away from where the Thunderhammer army lay. They looked similar to an X with a large barrel pointing out of the middle of it.

"Here Ambassader, is where we calibrate the artillery. We can fire for miles in any direction with safety. Here use these."

* Thorlin hands Lavey binoculars.

"Look towards the eastern peak over yonder. The target near to the top of that mountain is nearly 7 miles away. Lets see if these boys can hit it.

A large crudely made orc appeared to be the target.

"1-6 FIRE OFF!"

The artillery pieces sounded off, shaking the ground around them. The guns left a loud ringing in the ears of the group.

"I love watchin the rounds in flight."

After a few moments passed the artillery rounds hit their mark, exploding into the top of the mountain. The explosions echoed into the valleys and the mountains in the area, causing some avalanches in distant valleys.

" Good shot wouldn't you say Ambassador?"

10+ Year Old Account
    "Yes, this is very impressive but might I ask what is the purpose of Artillery? If we're going to be invading Stromgarde then wouldn't the use of Artilley basically just hinder us?"

10+ Year Old Account
    "Taking Stromgarde itself isn't enough to fix the problem in the Arathi Highlands. Hammerfell in the north must also be destroyed and Thoridan's Wall must be secured. We have prepared for engagements in the field as well as the siege of Stromgarde itself. I have one last thing to show you before we talk buisness."

* Thorlin checks his time piece.

"And we need to hurry or we'll miss it!"

The group made its way down a ramp on the opposite side of the flat and continued down a ramp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aleister followed Thorlin closely, eager to find out what this last thing was.

"So what is this last thing?"

"Master Dusksworn, they have recieved a prestigious member amongst them, for their leader seems to be showing them around their base of operations. However, the identity of this visitor is currently unknown. We only know that he wears scarlet chainmail, and that he is a human.".

The magister that had addressed Valeth left the warmth of the tent swiftly after he had delivered their observation. Yet, before he departed, Valeth gave the Blood Elf a nod, as he began making preperations on the outside. The inside of the tent itself was quite lavish. A fire in the middle illuminated all the surrounding features. Books, tapestries, scrolls, and much more littered the enclosed area.

Valeth sat there on his crimson high backed chair, pondering what was to happen with their little venture. Scout reports had informed the Horde of happenings within Dun Morogh, yet the Forsaken were too preoccupied with other matters. So, as a result, the Blood Elves had to send their own units to investigate the matter forward. Leading these units was Valeth Dusksworn, a bloodmage. The party that accompanied him was no more than 20 men and women, for it was all that they could salvage.

As the bloodmage stood up, he threw a yeti hide over himself, to enclose his warmth. He wandered out into the snow drenched hills of the Dwarven mountains, overseeing the white blanket that had covered the nearby environment. Yet, he grew uneasy over time. They were safe, for now, but how much longer? They could surely not take on the gathering force within the valley, so they had to recieve reinforcements. The closest backup that they could recieve was within the Badlands, but intelligence had told that they were to head north.

Valeth's party had to reach the northern Eastern Kingdom regions before those opposing them did. As he looked around, he sighed, as he returned to the tent. They were to leave soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    "This last thing I am going to show you is the future of warfare on Azeroth. The ability to strike your foe in multiple places quickly is going to decide who wins and who loses wars."

The group reached another clearing on the ramp. Below them in the valley were replicas of Horde buildings.

"Watch the tops of those mountains there."

* Two large bomber planes roared over the mountains. Sporting dual engines the planes moved at speeds faster than the average planes sported by the Alliance. As they came over the replica structures hatches on the bottoms of the planes opened and dropped their payloads. The bombs totally obliterated the Horde structures leaving nothing standing. By the time the explosions were over the planes were already out of sight.

"Well that's all the shows for today Ambassader. If you want we can go to me quarters and talk business now."

10+ Year Old Account
    Aleister stood there with a neutral look on his face as he stared at the destruction that had just been wrought in front of him. A smile began to form on his face and he began to giggle slightly to himself.

Looking over at the dwarf next to him he coughed and composed himself before turning to him.

"Yes... I think that talking business would be a wonderful idea..." he said to the dwarf, his eyes momentarily betraying a hint of that earlier madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I can see ya liked that. Lets carry on to me headquarters."

* Thorlin lead the group down the ramp and across an iron bridge. Ahead of them lay a Dwarven fortress built into the valley side. The group walked into the second level door. From here the guards left the pair and the two preceded to Thorlins Command Office.

* When they entered the room Thorlin sat behind a large table with a map of the Arathi Highlands spread across the table. He offered a seat on the other side of the table to Lavey.

"So now that yuv seen that this is indeed a serious army what can the Scarlet Crusade bring to the table?

As the leader of the forces in the valley and their visitor travelled into the fortress, the Blood Elves watched the enemy's forces amass. It was quite a terrifying sight, for a force that big could easily enough crush any opposition. As the dragonhawks were prepared, and their camp collected together and packed away, they all mounted up.

Valeth led them upon his own dragonhawk, Scarletwing, as they decsended over the snowy peaks of Dun Morogh, towards the Arathi Highlands. They had to reach the northern Horde lands as soon as possible, for they could not lose their grip over their portion of Arathi, as well as Lordaeron and Quel'thalas. Time was of the essence.

((Would you mind if the Horde sent some reinforcements as the Horde begins to forge an army in Arathi? It could bring some more conflict, and some more Horde characters can join in.))

((This can happen after you capture Stromgarde though, we won't get in the way of that.))

10+ Year Old Account
    (Yea ive been waiting for more Horde characters to join but if you want to spice things up then sure im all for it.)

10+ Year Old Account
    He took the seat offered to him and pored over the map for a few moments.

He looked across at the dwarf.

"Presumably you know about the work of the crusade in old Lordaeron, and presumably you know how effective these methods can be. I've seen your army and I can say that I'm impressed, and it takes alot to impress me believe me, but your soldiers... what are they fighting for? It's just orders right? This is where the Crusade comes in." he got up and reached into his satchel for a scroll. "This is an excerpt from one of the commanders at the battle of the Scarlet Enclave:

They come at us from all sides, their attacks unwavering.
    Dozens of fellow Crusader have given the ultimate service to the light
    and yet they keep on coming. But we will not falter. These are our lands.
    We will fight any invaders off. We are the crusade and we will never be silenced! NEVER!
    LIGHT GIVE ME STRENGTH!"

Aleister rolled the scroll up and placed it back into his satchel.

"That man went on to slay ten of the Lich King's finest Death Knights. It took half a dozen at once to stop him. Once a Crusader has been granted the light's strength it takes quite a force to stop him. You see, your men are fighting because of orders, not due to any loyalty to Arathi. But all of the Crusaders that will help in this cause were born and lived in or around Stromgarde until the very end of the Second War. They're fighting to reclaim their homeland and nothing can make a soldier fight with more fervour than that. Nothing."

10+ Year Old Account
    "That is true. A man fighting for his home fights much harder. But your wrong about this army Ambassader. Many of my solders fought beside me in the Second and Third Wars. We fought in the Arathi Highlands as well as in Lordaeron against the Scourge. Many of these soldiers lost brothers, fathers, or their entire families to either the Horde or the Scourge. These men dont fight for orders, but for vengeance. If your men wish to fight alongside us as we reclaim Highlands then they are welcome."

* Thorlin paused for a moment.

"The truth is, Ambassader that I have no intention of stopping with the Arathi Highlands. I plan to destroy the Forsaken no matter what it takes. Is the Scarlet Crusade prepared to do the same?"

10+ Year Old Account
    * Aleister laughs at this question.

"You ask if the Crusade is prepared to destroy undead at whatever cost?! Have you ot heard of the years we have spent in the Plaguelands wiping out undead infestation here and scourged monstrosity there? Many have argued agsint our methods but they fail to realise just how worse off the plaguelands would be without our intervention. I would burn down the entirety of Stormwind in a second if I heard of an undead outbreak there. We have no qualms with destroying undead wherever it is."

10+ Year Old Account
    "That is just what I wanted to hear Ambassader. So we can count on the Scarlet Crusaders support in this campaign?"

10+ Year Old Account
    * Aleister bows his head with a smile.

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

10+ Year Old Account
    " Excellent. Now there is Nobleman in the Arathi Highlands that I would have your forces meet up with if you could. He goes by the name of Sir Walter Delbath. When we last had contact he informed me that he was rallying the last knights that Stromgarde had. He informed me their numbers were around 1500, consisting of only mounted knights. His forces will be at the X mark on the map near Refuge Point.

(THERE WE GO!)

"My forces will cross over the Thandol Span and will make our base camp just east of Refuge Point. From there we will have a 2 part assault on the farms north and east of our area. After we have control of the lands east of Refuge Point we will begin our assault on Hammerfell by aproaching from the west. By doing that we can attack on almost flat land where me mechanized army will have the advantage on the open field."

---------- Post added 2010-10-06 at 10:10 PM ----------