Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Read this:
    http://www.entertainmates.com/conver...s_tips_016.asp

Makes a lot of good points about why people should make a real effort to use proper grammar. Effective speaking is the most key tool in a persons toolbox when applying for a job, mingling with guests at a party, or simply talking with older adults. Given txting as a way of speaking came about because of cell phones and the limited number of characters available to use in a conversation.(Not so much anymore with the new generation of smart phones but its already a habit for most.) Keep it there.

Forums have no character limit, WoW chat boxes do but its a fairly decent number that allows you to convey a lengthy message before having to send it. Adding that extra vowel or spelling out a long word like 'responsibility' isn't as hard as one would think and doesn't take that long either. If you want people to take you seriously in this world effective speaking, proper grammar, and maybe a few formal typing classes is the way to go.

Internet, the quintessence of democracy - place where even grammar, spelling, and soon mathematics or physics, are merely a matter of personal opinion and voting
    Last edited by procne; 2011-01-15 at 07:07 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

For those interested in how english evolves I suggest looking up Barbara Seidlhofer's: English as a lingua franca. I had to read it in my english class. She has quite an interesting view on its developent.

Let's not forget, that there is alot who can not spell good enough for you to be saticfied.
    I'm really bad at spelling, yet I can write seriuos posts and such without having to many thinking that it's impossible to read.

And, to the OP.
    Your spelling might be good, but you should not sit on a high horse considering your bad usage of commas.

You are never incorrect in your native language. If you ever take a linguistics course that is one of the first things taught. You shouldn't mock others for how they speak.

I completely agree with this, you can make a few spelling mistakes here and there, but try to keep your grammar correct. You will be taken much more seriously, trust me.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    Also:
    "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?"

An example of a grammatical train wreck, posted a while ago :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shrain View Post
    If there is one thing I can't stand...

Wall of unreadable text! I've tried, but I can only read this post in chunks. Then the self-contradictions, and the general hostile, ignorant feeling overwhelms me.

Grammar not only helps us understand each other, but it makes life easier on the eyes and the brain. Example; walls of text are often summed up with "tl;dr" for a reason.
    Dont blame me for your uneducated brain, just goes to show you cant have your own opinion on mmo champ forums, always seems there is people out there trying to put others down by now following there ways.
    As if that was unreadable, another prick jumping on the bandwagon.
    People can do what they want on the internet and who the fuck are you to tell anyone different, get of your high horses and start worrying about yourself and not others.

Deleted
    Uppercase / lowercase hold no information value as most will know places/names without writing them with uppercase.

lets compare lolspeak vs correct grammar:
    Sup, hc dm anyone up?
    Good evening, anyone willing to do heroic deadmines?

the length just doubled while retaining same information value, speed is everything in a fast moving chat, writing slow means writing to late or people not bothering reading as they are also in a fight / doing something else and don't have time for more than a quick glimpse.

So overall its wasted effort, it's the rational choice to ignore grammar ingame.

Deleted
    wow i have never laughed so much in my life. That was freaking funny!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Whinging about grammar is essentially complaining that you learned things one way, and now, the nasty children have overturned it all and created a different way of doing it with which you are not familiar and therefore feel annoyed and threatened.

As long as the individual's communication is clear — and perhaps we're just different people, but even stuff like l33t5p34k and txtng abrv is perfectly clear to me after a short period of observation to learn the rules and format — I don't see the point of throwing a fit about it. Even "improper" systems still have an underlying set of rules that can be violated, as is the esoteric nature of language.

Language, and the methods of expressing it, change and evolve all the time. It's one of the most fundamental and fluid aspects of humanity, and attempts to rigidly standardize it constantly erode and change over time and with each generation. "Proper" grammar really means "prescriptive" grammar; that is, "Do things the way we tell you to, because... well, just because, damn it."

To each their own, but I don't see the big deal. In fact, I think it's silly. Let communication evolve — it always does, and it will without your approval anyway.
    Well to be fair, evolution is supposed to counter intelligent design.

Deleted
    Usually I don't care if someone has bad grammar as long as their posts are legible without making my brain explode (i.e. properly spaced, not all in caps) but the one thing that drives me crazy is apostrophes in the wrong place ><

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    That is called punctuation. This is grammar:

I do enjoy a summer with Jane at Mansfield.

I do Jane with summer enjoy at Mansfield. <-- Read that a loud!

What is important is relative.
    Whining about WoW since closed beta.
    Retired from WoW since patch 4.0.6.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at my sig.

PS: It's qouted from the rules (c whut i did thar???).
    1. Respect your fellow community member

Do not correct other people's posts when they make a grammatical or spelling mistake. Not everyone's native language is English. If yours is you should be glad everyone else is doing an effort. Respect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think in games and forums for games and such that spelling doesn't matter as long as you know what it means like ur and u. But some punctuation is needed to get the point across like Rukah said about the horse and jack.

Quote Originally Posted by dungoofed View Post
    This is not a grammer flaw, its a punctuation flaw. Please do your homework before making retarded comments.
    And punctuation is a part of grammer -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Rukah View Post
    Effective grammer is the difference between:

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

and

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse.
    Did you steal from a sig I saw before?

Grammar =/= spelling, spelling is very important because of how easy words can be changed by one letter. Grammar you can still get the point across, but people like to nitpick.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Uppercase / lowercase hold no information value as most will know places/names without writing them with uppercase.
    Using same stolen sig, capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse", from "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".
    Last edited by BoomChickn; 2011-01-15 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added second part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    To each their own, but I don't see the big deal. In fact, I think it's silly. Let communication evolve — it always does, and it will without your approval anyway.
    If this is evolution, then we as a species are doomed.