Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Kakuzo, keep in mind that Demo and affli are 2 worlds apart as far as it comes to gear. you'd basicly need 2 full sets of gear to get a decent impression what affli's capable of. But as affli focus on hitcap and stack mass haste but NEVER at the cost of Int. Also mast is nice for Affli but not much desired consider this a "bonus"

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got my warlock to 85 and just wondering what is best spec to use for dps? Currently I'm demo and doing alright in aoe fights but single target I'm sucking (then again I'm also not as geared as most yet) If there are two good dps specs but ones better for 5mans let me know, right now I'd prefer to be specd to do max dps in the 5mans I'm running and have my raid spec as OS to switch to when I start raiding, if they are different.

Just cast haunt on cooldown, it hits hard enough on its own to warrant it even ignoring the awesome buff it gives.

Deleted
    Simulations are often crap. They give a good picture of what spec, items etc. gives you the best DPS compared to other spec and items, but it really does not give a good picture of the DPS you can actually do on a boss.
    Besides that, remember that destro has been nerfed about 1000-2000 DPS.
    You are doing things right, and your DPS sounds pretty good to me. So no worries. Compare your DPS to the rest of the raid.
    As long as I'm on par with my guildmates, I'm good... As destruction, you should no longer be in the top 10 DPS as far as I understand

If you try checking out Methods Baleroc HC kill, you'll see that no warlock is in the top dmg meter. The lowest on the meter is about 27k DPS. And those guys should be 379 ilvl for sure. So if you think you should be doing about the same, well, think again
    Last edited by mmoc7f6b3379d7; 2011-07-15 at 02:55 AM.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you would check my armory and see if everthing looks ok. My haste seems awfully low. Thanks for any tips!

I cannot post links, but my character name is Welldotted, as far as I know I am the only one

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wapetufo... The first thing you should do is get your Hit Rating to 1742... I would try wowreforge dot com (I can't post links yet apparently) Also Your belt doesn't have a gem in it or a belt buckle, and if you can't get your hit up all the way, I would suggest gemming to do so. You have some crit open on your pants you could reforge to Hit, and some crit you've regorge to haste as well.

Alright, so I feel like my dps is always subpar. I am currently playing affliction with dps ranging from 11k-13k with occasional troll heroic boss fights where I am able to reach 15-16k max. I am not sure as to why my dps is low. I'm doing about 13k dps target dummy ( so no drain soul) My rotation is shadowbolt, pop all cds, coe, haunt, bane of doom, corruption, unstable affliction, and then shadowbolt filler/refresh unstable affliction and bane of doom/ cast haunt on cd (while also remembering to keep using my cds). At 25% I do drain soul and just cast haunt/bane of doom when needed. My armory is linked here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Shiller/simple Any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...8/?s=295&e=492

You need to work on keeping your DoTs up mate!

Haunt 76.1%
    Unstable Affliction 75.2%
    Bane of Doom 60.6%
    Corruption 53.6%
    Shadow's Embrace 47.4%
    Your Active% was nice and high (95%) and with Shadow and Flame having a very high uptime I'm going to guess you're casting Shadow Bolt too much instead of refreshing your DoTs.

I'd recommend you download a good AddOn capable of tracking DoT durations, such as ForteXorcist or Raven.

You're missing a few Enchants and Gems, namely Power Torrent on your weapon - Fix that ASAP!

But yeah the main issue you're having is DoT uptime.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7360&e=7646

This is taken from a log of a recent Chimaeron HC kill - I'm the only Warlock. You'll notice my DoTs vary between 85% and 99% uptime and I play Demonology - A much higher percentage of your DPS as Affliction comes from DoTs, so practice keeping them up and you should see good improvements

10+ Year Old Account
    Beth'tilac and Rhyolith involve too much AoE to get an accurate representation of your playstyle.

Chimaeron is a good boss to find fundamental flaws in ones play due to it being near enough a Tank and Spank fight.

http://i.imgur.com/vkFTj.png

The green areas in this image show when your DoTs were up and the black when down. The first ~1min (when you're standing still nuking) is fine, but then t he first movement cripples your uptime a bit (indicating you might need to work on adapting to movement). However, we can then see that even after that first feud you don't actually reapply your DoTs, including Corruption (a huge componenet of your DPS).

So basically my advice is still the same - practice keeping your DoTs up and remember to reapply them after movement :-)

Edit: Also I would hazard a guess that your DPS on the Molten Lords is high because they live for only 30s to 1min and require no movement. With such a short duration your DoTs will have a very high uptime (indicative of what your DPS would be like on bosses if you keep practicing!)

Another Edit: I've actually just noticed, you don't seem to have even applied any DoTs at all until ~20-30s into the fight. Your optimal single-target opener as Affliction is CoElements -> Shadow Bolt -> Haunt -> Bane of Doom -> Corruption -> Unstable Affliction -> Shadow Bolt filler.

As I said right now the biggest thing holding you back is the fact that you aren't keeping your DoTs up.
    Last edited by Frewt; 2011-07-18 at 09:59 AM.

Deleted
    Hey guys, I just picked up my lock again haven't played it since vanilla except for the few levels here and there.
    Been grinding all the heroics as destro just because it's a bit easier, Now I've switched to Affliction and I give you guys all the credit, playing warlock is rough man.

Single target is cake.
    Dual target, well not that hard i usually manually re dot targets, since soul swap got a long CD, it seemed to be 10 seconds in 4.1, have i missed something vital or have they made the CD longer aswell as removed the glyph?

my troubles are when there are 3-6 targets, my head gets messed up mostly because i don't have priorities, I have no clue what dot is "worth" more etc.
    What should my priorities be? try to keep x buff up as much as possible because it does most dmg, try to keep all buffs up and skip doing X.

atm im running fortexcist, just installed and config it, altho it still confuses me A LOT

(Side note)
    I'm a perfectionist, and my goal is to do things right, so please give me a serious rotation as well as a WHY this is done so i'm actually understanding why im doing it an not just because "well it said on the forums this was a good rotation"

Deleted
    @Quilox,
    Yes, Soul Swap has bin nerfed and it's cooldown is now 30 seconds, up from 15, which was up from 10.

When you're on a fight with 3-6 targets, I assume just a trash pack of 6. I usually Put up a haunt on a target, followed by Soulburn SoC, and then dot the main target up w/ BoA+UA, Soul Swap once, dot rest with UA, keep haunt on atleast one target for SE. If you're on a boss, you can basicly stick up all dots on the boss, soulburn+SoC on adds, dot them up manually depending on how many HP the adds have (the lower HP the better it is to either just focus boss or SoC them gone)

About Forte, I can't say much. I'm using it aswell, it's messy in the start but you'll get used to it, just google/search for some guides; there's loads.

About your sidenote, I can't go much into detail as I'm playing demo about 85% of the time, someone else surely will but this should keep you going for a bit!

I just came back to wow after a 2 month break and my dps has gone down the toilet. I decided to switch from destro to afflic considering it is supposed to be the strongest dps at the moment.

*This is all done on the elite training dummy*

I am keeping all my DoT's at nearly 100% uptime. I try to refresh it as close to 0 seconds left as I can, however a lot of the time I will end up refreshing it with 1-2 seconds left on the timer, or 1-2 seconds after it has already gone off(I have dotimer set up so I can easily see exactly when I miss the refresh). My starting rotation is Shadow Bolt -> Haunt -> Bane of Doom -> Corruption -> Unstable Affliction -> Shadow Bolt. Then I just keep all my dots up while spamming SB. I also use Demon Soul at the start and then refresh it whenever I see it come off cd, however I miss it a lot.

At the start I am really low, around 7-8k. I slowly raise up until I get around 11k, however I can't seem to get any higher than this.

My armory is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...drace/advanced

The only buff I have on is fel armor.

I read a guide for 4.2 afflic locks over on EJ, that's where I got the spec and rotation from.
    Last edited by soradakey; 2011-07-24 at 04:55 AM.

Deleted
    On real fights you'll obviously be doing more dps because of buffs and Drain soul <25% and Dark intent.

Other than that, you should just cast haunt when it's off CD because it's *that* important to keep it up at all times. And don't forget about Curse of the Elements. BoD can be safely clipped anywhere during the last 14 seconds of its duration (so you can cast it 'early' or wait and refresh something else first so that no dots will drop off at all ).
    It's also a dps increase to use Shadowflame if you're in melee range anyway, so you should be using that on CD if you're not refreshing any dots (it's better than Shadowbolt).

Are you using Felhunter? Make sure it's actually attacking your target (I forget about my pet at times.. ehm.. yeah.)

good luck!

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have a warlock that's regularly Affliction and he's quite competitive in this role.

However for things like Ragnaros and H Cho'gall where stuns and burst are desired, we've been having him go Destro. He's fairly new to Destro, but his DPS doesn't seem to be on par with the rest of the raid when he's Destro.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/kv10287snhklo42o/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7yowj0rzs47dnqau/

Unless I suck and put the wrong logs in here, these two should have fights (Rag and H Cho'gall like I mentioned) where he's Destro.

I don't know enough about Destro to know wtf is going wrong here.

Here is his armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/chogall/Doomoracle/advanced

I have no idea whether he uses the same gear for Aff and Destro, but I did just notice his gloves are unenchanted. I'll speak with him on that.

Judging from one random attempt I pulled from Cho'gall (all I saw was affliction for Rag), he didn't even use Corruption. That's a major misstep right there. In addition his uptime on immolate was just atrocious, there's no reason it should be as low as it was.

Also his up time on Improved Soulfire could use some work, but for a fight like Cho'gall I wouldn't worry about that too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Judging from one random attempt I pulled from Cho'gall (all I saw was affliction for Rag), he didn't even use Corruption. That's a major misstep right there. In addition his uptime on immolate was just atrocious, there's no reason it should be as low as it was.

Also his up time on Improved Soulfire could use some work, but for a fight like Cho'gall I wouldn't worry about that too much.
    Ok, so assuming he does use the same gear...

How is it that you have 10 Brilliant Inferno Rubies, while he's flat out gemming pure hit (which I thought was a no-no) and you two are at about the same amount of hit? I don't get it. Is it really just the difference in ilvls, or is there something I'm missing?

Also, what kind of uptime should we be expecting on Immolate? As close to 100% as possible?
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-07-25 at 08:19 PM.

Yeah mostly ilvl, those which pieces of gear you grab are also pretty relevant, some have hit and some don't.

I'm one of the few in the "hit cap if you can" camp, but unless I'm missing something with regards to the randomly itemized helmet; he is still under hit cap after all that work. Not worth it. And the gem in his boots is just wrong no matter which way you spin it.

And you'll ideally have like 99.9% uptime on immolate (especially on a multi target fight), that's not always reasonable. I haven't played destro in forever so I don't remember my numbers exactly, but I would think you could reasonably expect a 90% minimum uptime on Immolate for almost every fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your responses Penguin. Given your progression, I assume that you know a thing or two about locks :P

I was looking at a destro guide here on the forums, and about 2/3 of the way down it has a very detailed explanation of whether or not to cap hit. Do you agree with the explanation given, and do you think this is some information I should present to him?

Is there anything else out of place with regards to his Destro damage? It seems like fights with adds (single add situation like a Son of Flame or that big corruptor guy on Cho'gall whose name I always forget) he's always lowest on damage.

Since you have logs, and you know he's Affliction MS, do you have anything he can improve on this spec as well?

I've recently become concerned with my DPS as on Heroic Baleroc last week, I did terribly. (Last dps...) I have times where I do great, but it seems to be at the whim of my dot ticks. After running my Sim on SimCraft it seems my dots should tick for:

BoD - 31555 (Tick) 65194 (Crit)
    Corruption - 6210 (Tick) 12898 (Crit)
    Drain Soul - 30926 (Tick) 64206 (Crit)
    UA - 6644 (Tick) 13780 (Crit)

You'll see from my WoL parse that my actual ticks are much less. And this is with timing my on use procs with BoD casts (hence the lower uptime on BoD). Any other advice would be lovely. My logs at world of logs can be found at : reports/rt-nkadsewkv18qmd35/details/8/?s=10545&e=10905

(No link privileges yet.... sorry!)
    Last edited by rutiene; 2011-07-25 at 11:00 PM.

So, this is my first time ever posting on MMO-Champ and I need some help. I've noticed that ever since Cata, I just can't keep up with other DPS on my warlock. I have a Lord Rhyolith and Majordomo kill here (with me as Demo both times). Could somebody take a look and see why my DPS is so low?

worldoflogs .com /reports/b3pu791xz5vr5x3r/details/9/?s=2806&e=3270