Automated Crop Farming

So, I've made myself a sugar cane farm that's automated, what else have you peoples made along similar lines? Specifically crops, but maybe something to automatically make other blocks, if that's doable. trying to get ideas for things to make!

overview (its dark, sorry!)

block changes next to the piston (the cane growing) trigger the redstone powered pistons to remove the middle layer of thier canes.

10+ Year Old Account
    May I ask. What do you do with all the sugar cane? Are you a crazy book lady? You making a giant library?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

hehe, nothing at the moment - made it just because i can !

Deleted
    If you have enough redstone, you can make it automatically go off every 5 mins, or something, just have to restart it if you log off/ get to far away so it unloads

Quote Originally Posted by Wargrey View Post
    If you have enough redstone, you can make it automatically go off every 5 mins, or something, just have to restart it if you log off/ get to far away so it unloads
    For a survival type map (the above is on creative) i may do this, so i can harvest alot of stuff.

Deleted
    Seems interesting, I myself have no idea how to work with redstone but, Impresive work

I made this design for a wheat farm that may not be the most efficient but I wanted something that would automate gathering seeds and wheat and not have to re-hoe (is that a word?) every time I gather the food.

Here's the set-up from top-down. I hit the switch, the water runs out and moves the crops to the hole in the center where it falls to a centralized gathering place

Here's where it falls

And where I collect it.

I'm very interested to see what you do or how efficiency can be increased.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of laying the pistons on their sides to stop water from flowing, put them facing down, so the piston's arm is against the floor right in front of the water. This will make it more space efficient. Also, try using up to 4 rows of wheat before placing a row of water for hydration. Farmland works from 4 blocks away from a water source, so don't forget that ability. Using a 9 wide by 8 deep plot will make sure that the wheat growth is at full potential while still allowing you to walk above the farmland blocks. Oh, and don't forget to add light sources so the wheat can grow at night.

This uses the methods stated above to allow for 8 blocks deep of wheat with 4 blocks wide per plot. In all honesty, if you wanted to switch sides, you could get rid of that middle bar and just have an 8x8 plot and access all of the blocks from walking on the glowstone on the sides. Since you can reach 4 blocks out, it's possible to do this. Here is your most efficient wheat farm, though.

EDIT: Image of the pistons up close
    Last edited by warspite; 2011-10-05 at 02:35 PM.

I noticed a wild minecart in one of those pics with some fenced in animals

i need to give this ago, what you've done

Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    I noticed a wild minecart in one of those pics with some fenced in animals

i need to give this ago, what you've done
    This is my single player world where I screw around with things I want to use on my server. I used Single Player Commands, and when I did /bring it brought animals... and a few minecarts.

I dunno....

Quote Originally Posted by Wargrey View Post
    with this design it actually goes off when the sugar cane grows to full

sweet....nice design bro

Quote Originally Posted by warspite View Post
    Instead of laying the pistons on their sides to stop water from flowing, put them facing down, so the piston's arm is against the floor right in front of the water. This will make it more space efficient. Also, try using up to 4 rows of wheat before placing a row of water for hydration. Farmland works from 4 blocks away from a water source, so don't forget that ability. Using a 9 wide by 8 deep plot will make sure that the wheat growth is at full potential while still allowing you to walk above the farmland blocks. Oh, and don't forget to add light sources so the wheat can grow at night.

This uses the methods stated above to allow for 8 blocks deep of wheat with 4 blocks wide per plot. In all honesty, if you wanted to switch sides, you could get rid of that middle bar and just have an 8x8 plot and access all of the blocks from walking on the glowstone on the sides. Since you can reach 4 blocks out, it's possible to do this. Here is your most efficient wheat farm, though.

EDIT: Image of the pistons up close

This design, if applied to a vertical one, allows for a mid game survival viable farm. I built 4 x (4x6x1) farmland layers with wheat, totalling in 96 farmland spaces. On the topmost 5th level, two pistons keep a 2x1x1 water spring from flowing unto the lower levels. If I want to harvest the fully grown crops, I switch the lever and flowing water harvest the crop for me. As water flows for 7 blocks, the 6 blocks of farmland in length are fully harvested and afterwards descend to the next layer of farmland, harvesting everything there and so on. Afterwards everything flows in the bottom most output, allowing me to collect my harvest.
    The seeds can easily be replanted by sidewalks alongside the farmland. Below the sidewalk is a 1x1x1 water patch, which is sufficient to water all farmland on a single layer and is kept from flowing out by a ladder below, so that I does not hinder me from walking around on lower farm sidewalks.

edit: to get an idea what I talk about: http://www.youtube.com/user/minecraf...u/4/FochKgD1P_ This alongside a 9x9x1 melon farm keeps me going pretty good. A number of bone meal helps tremendously