10+ Year Old Account
    College football coverage over here in England is pretty much zero. But they're bringing in some serious experience, Tarver use to coach at the 49'ers before moving to Stamford.

Looking over the numbers, his record there was pretty impressive last year. But I don't hold on Collegiate statistics transferring to NFL alone. The defence needs the experience he can bring though, and if he can administer a strong sense of discipline and bring the godawful penalty record down with it, then I'm more than happy.

I'm more intrigued about Hoffman as special teams co-ordinator. I just assumed they let Janikowski and Lechler run whatever they want, worked pretty well last year. Janikowski setting franchise records, tying the national kicking record, while Lechler was having some of the best punts of his career. Not to mention the number of fake plays they got off perfectly, and one they would have had... had they not had a penalty on the play.

I'm still adamant that Oakland for all it's flaws has the single best special teams unit in the NFL, not sure what Hoffman will bring to the table there.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsInTheAir View Post
    Don't care what anyone says, I still think Eli is not better than his brother nor elite!
    I think he is absolutely elite, you don't put up numbers like he does and not be elite, but his brother is better. Eli has a better team than Peyton has ever had in his entire career in Indy except for the year they won the Super Bowl because they had an O-line capable of run blocking allowing the offense to be slightly balanced.

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    I'm more intrigued about Hoffman as special teams co-ordinator. I just assumed they let Janikowski and Lechler run whatever they want, worked pretty well last year. Janikowski setting franchise records, tying the national kicking record, while Lechler was having some of the best punts of his career. Not to mention the number of fake plays they got off perfectly, and one they would have had... had they not had a penalty on the play.

I'm still adamant that Oakland for all it's flaws has the single best special teams unit in the NFL, not sure what Hoffman will bring to the table there.
    He brings new schematics for blocking and kick coverage. The Raiders were actually pretty terrible in special teams outside of their beast mode kickers last year. They ranked 24th in punt return yards/att (8.3 yards/att), 18th in kickoff return yards average (23.5 yards), last in punt return average against (13.5 yards), and 6th worst in kick return yards (25.7) with 3 combined return TDs. Those numbers are pretty terrible considering just how good their kicking staff is. Opponents only fair caught punts from the Raiders 8 times all year because the coverage wasn't good enough to match the punter's strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ricky Williams just retired. Add backup RB to the list of Ravens needs.
    Last edited by Elbren; 2012-02-07 at 09:50 PM.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=conscript;15384419]I think he is absolutely elite, you don't put up numbers like he does and not be elite, but his brother is better. Eli has a better team than Peyton has ever had in his entire career in Indy except for the year they won the Super Bowl because they had an O-line capable of run blocking allowing the offense to be slightly balanced.[COLOR="red"]

I would say Eli is a 2nd tier QB close to top tier but not really there but that is my view. Top tier would be Payton,Brady,Brees,and Rodgers 2nd tier would be Rivers,Romo,Eli,M.Ryan,Big Ben, and maybe Cam Newton and Stafford depending on the 12-13 season.

I would definitely classify Eli as elite, at least when he's playing in the playoffs.

103.3 QB rating this offseason, also taking 11 sacks (most for any QB in the offseason). Only one to top that is Brees, with that ridiculously awesome SF game.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-02-08 at 12:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I would say Eli is a 2nd tier QB close to top tier but not really there but that is my view. Top tier would be Payton,Brady,Brees,and Rodgers 2nd tier would be Rivers,Romo,Eli,M.Ryan,Big Ben, and maybe Cam Newton and Stafford depending on the 12-13 season.
    I don't think he is upper elite with the likes of Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, but to lump him in with that second tier is just pure fucking evil. Three of those 2nd tier guys haven't won shit in their entire career and in the case of Matt Ryan aren't that good.
    How I group QBs
    Upper Elite: Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Peyton
    Elite: Eli, Big Ben
    Great: Rivers, Romo, Stafford
    Good: Vick, Newton (soon to be great), Cutler probably more
    Overrated but not completely terrible: Matt Ryan
    Mediocre: Flacco
    Terrible: About everyone else
    Grossman: Rex Grossman

On Matt Ryan. He isn't that good. He is good inside a dome. He is terrible outside a dome. Inside a dome with a running game in a non-playoff atmosphere he is good. Inside a dome, without a running game carrying him, against a team that overmatches them he is bad. Remember when Atlanta dominated teams last year, as in 2010, at home, was good but not great on the road, then played a team they should have beaten in the playoffs at home? They got obliterated. Before you put Ryan on that same level (same for Romo) he has to win something first. Eli and Ben have won multiple Super Bowls on the strength of their arms. Ryan hasn't won a single playoff game on the strength of his.

Edit: My list implied Flacco was better than Matt Ryan. That was just silly and completely wrong.

Edit2: Thank you Skar for not calling him Matty Ice or I might have snapped by the way. Talk about the most unearned nickname in sports. How is someone cool in tough situations when they have never won a single meaningful game in their career.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-02-08 at 03:15 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    First sunday after then end of the NFL season and I always feel emply this time of year. Rattleing around the house looking for some sports to watch. March madness a month away and NHL/NBA playoffs months out. Tigers making a comeback so that will help. WIsh I could watch EPL live.

But it was fun.
    - Skins/Bills were off to a fast start this year. Faded.
    - Eagles couldnt get that expensive race care running on all 8.
    - Cowboys/Jet missing playoffs. We all know what the problem is with these teams.
    - Oakland make a bit of a comeback. Missed Playoffs by 1 game. /Cheers
    - Niners exploding back into a great teams again. nice.
    - Lions having a winning season and making the playoffs and Stafford staying healthy Whats not to like.
    - Tebow madnees. Hated every second of it. Next year will be telling for him.
    - Someone forgot to tell the Bengals they sucked.
    - Payton drama. 1 man team. Who knew?
    - Really thought Atlanta would go further.
    - Carolina fans has some reason to look forward to next year.
    - Giants sure know when to turn it up the heat. They are the kings of momentum timing.
    - Steelers have some work to do and get Ben healthy. No Hines ward.(
    - NFC playoffs were some of the best games ever played. A+ playoffs. Packers,Niners,Giants,Lions and Saints are all deserving teams.
    - AFC playoffs. Well I supposed someone has to win.

Edit; And Houston having a good season making the playoffs. Hey, it's a start.
    Ravens? Cant figure them out.

Definately getting Directtv next year with the NFL package.
    Last edited by kunah; 2012-02-12 at 06:17 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I don't think he is upper elite with the likes of Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, but to lump him in with that second tier is just pure fucking evil. Three of those 2nd tier guys haven't won shit in their entire career and in the case of Matt Ryan aren't that good.
    How I group QBs

On Matt Ryan. He isn't that good. He is good inside a dome. He is terrible outside a dome. Inside a dome with a running game in a non-playoff atmosphere he is good. Inside a dome, without a running game carrying him, against a team that overmatches them he is bad. Remember when Atlanta dominated teams last year, as in 2010, at home, was good but not great on the road, then played a team they should have beaten in the playoffs at home? They got obliterated. Before you put Ryan on that same level (same for Romo) he has to win something first. Eli and Ben have won multiple Super Bowls on the strength of their arms. Ryan hasn't won a single playoff game on the strength of his.

Edit: My list implied Flacco was better than Matt Ryan. That was just silly and completely wrong.

Edit2: Thank you Skar for not calling him Matty Ice or I might have snapped by the way. Talk about the most unearned nickname in sports. How is someone cool in tough situations when they have never won a single meaningful game in their career.
    Well Con I agree with your list in a way I however do not like when "QB's are not great because they haven't won anything" look at Dan Marino great QB just didn't win the big game on the other side nobody thinks Terry Bradshaw is the best ever because he won 4 rings. Football is a team sport not just a QB sport if a QB scores 32 points but there defense lets the other team score 52 it doesn't make that QB bad or the other QB great.

On the Matty Ice thing I think I have only heard Dan Patrick call him that but I guess I have never paid attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, Randy Moss wants to come back to the NFL. Doubt this will be a good move for him.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    So, Randy Moss wants to come back to the NFL. Doubt this will be a good move for him.
    I think the physical ability and talent is still there. But his head??
    Not sure many teams would put up with his bullshit.
    Operation Red Wing

Not to hijack the topic or anything but, awhile back someone mentioned the possibility of Payton Manning possibly retiring and seeking a QB Coaching position somewhere (which I think would be amazing). However, my fiance seems to think it is much more likely he will become a sports commentator somewhere instead. You guys have any thoughts on that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Not to hijack the topic or anything but, awhile back someone mentioned the possibility of Payton Manning possibly retiring and seeking a QB Coaching position somewhere (which I think would be amazing). However, my fiance seems to think it is much more likely he will become a sports commentator somewhere instead. You guys have any thoughts on that?
    I don't see him being a commentator at all. Peyton has zero personality. He is all brain. He would make an absolutely fabulous coach I'm sure. He already is the OCoord and QB coach for the Colts. I don't see him doing that though, at least not this year, with him about to make $28 million in three weeks unless he is cut. And if he is cut he is 100% the type of guy who would try and prove Irsay wrong by immediately going to another team and making them a Super Bowl contender.

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Well Con I agree with your list in a way I however do not like when "QB's are not great because they haven't won anything" look at Dan Marino great QB just didn't win the big game on the other side nobody thinks Terry Bradshaw is the best ever because he won 4 rings. Football is a team sport not just a QB sport if a QB scores 32 points but there defense lets the other team score 52 it doesn't make that QB bad or the other QB great.

On the Matty Ice thing I think I have only heard Dan Patrick call him that but I guess I have never paid attention.
    Marino may not have won a Super Bowl, but he has won meaningful games something Romo and Ryan have never done.

Ravens take the bowl next year.

Does anyone else think Andrew Luck is hideously over-rated? I have watched many of his games, and he seems to be a servicable QB, but not one that deserves the attention he is getting. I can barely watch ESPN anymore with all the love they are throwing at him. I would rather have RGIII then him, and I hope the Vikings get RGIII, I watched every one of our games last year, and ponder is NOT any good. I honestly would rather Webb start over Ponder at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Well anything is a possible esp in sports (i know cliche) but I think he will come back next year and I think the best place for him is the Texans. It's in the same division as the colts so he knows the teams and he gets to beat the colts twice a year which he will wont to do if the cut him and they have a good team. As far as his post NFL career goes I could see him as a NFL tonight type of guy not really a commentator thou or I could see him as a O.C for the Vols then moving up from there.

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Does anyone else think Andrew Luck is hideously over-rated? I have watched many of his games, and he seems to be a servicable QB, but not one that deserves the attention he is getting. I can barely watch ESPN anymore with all the love they are throwing at him. I would rather have RGIII then him, and I hope the Vikings get RGIII, I watched every one of our games last year, and ponder is NOT any good. I honestly would rather Webb start over Ponder at this point.
    Not really overrated just slammed down my throat at the machine called ESPN Luck is probably going to be a good QB is he going to be on Manning's level I don't think so. From what most scouts are saying is he has no arm str. so I don't know we will so how good he is soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I can see Luck being a great QB. Arm strength isn't as big of a deal (see Tom Brady) if you're intelligent, capable of reading defenses, good at looking off defenders and accurate as fucking hell. The dude carried a high GPA at Stanford in Architectural Engineering while playing a pro-style offense effectively. My only concern is he may not be ready for a transition to a team where the running game is nonexistent, because unlike most other college QB's he spent about half the time handing the ball off.

Quote Originally Posted by MontageMusic View Post
    Ravens take the bowl next year.
    dont make me laugh. they lay bigger eggs than an ostrich
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else think this Irsay nonsense with "Peyton can come back if he wants to come back" is a total joke? Irsay is only saying that because he wants to make Peyton look like the bad guy in this situation. Oh he wouldn't restructure the contract that I signed so we had to cut him. Find your balls Jim Irsay and cut him or give him a $28 million check. Stop trying to get the moral high ground. It isn't going to work. The fans in Indy absolutely adore Peyton and they all already realize you are a total moron who couldn't manage a pizza chain if your daddy didn't buy it for you. I don't think a single fan is going to blame him if he wants to leave for a contender and isn't willing to give Irsay back his $28 million in a restructured contract. No one in the history of sports has walked away from an absurd amount of money like he would be doing by restructuring.

Jim Irsay is the James Dolan of the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    How I group QBs

Gotta say that Cutler is better than Rivers. The only reason why he havn't done very well this season and the last ones, is because there have been no WR1# As soon as Bears will get that, you will see that you're wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    Gotta say that Cutler is better than Rivers. The only reason why he havn't done very well this season and the last ones, is because there have been no WR1# As soon as Bears will get that, you will see that you're wrong.
    I wouldn't doubt it. Cutler has been damn good while having absolutely no one to throw to ever.