Thread: Pre potting

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Pre potting

Can someone please explain to me in noob terms what exactly this mean and why I should do it?

Using a potion pre pull so you can use two......................you could have literally googled it in less letters than it was to type this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

means using a pot(potion) right before the pull, gives u a little boost at the start of the fight, plus it will cooldown during the fight allowing u to use 2
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

what they said. and specifically, a stat enhancing potion, not like... a mana potion.

Yup, you pop a potion within the second the encounter starts to give you a boost to stats at the start of the fight and gives you the ability to use another later in the fight. The best example is Ultraxion, since you don't need to move in the slightest to begin DPSing him. That said, I almost never do it. Call me cheap but I'm in a raiding guild that's not quite casual but not that progression oriented, so I don't see the slight dps boost being necessary if you are like us, and only just now starting heroics.

basically, when you use a DPS potion (like a volcanic potion that increases intellect for a few sec) mid fight it goes on CD until you are out of combat, if you use the potion before combat starts, you will have the effect of the potion for the first few sec of the fight and be able to use one again during say Bloodlust or something. its one way that ppl get the absolute best possible dps out of their class, and can really help on fights like say, ultraxion. Pre potting is basically the act of popping that potion before combat.

Pre-potting is one of those things that most guilds nag at you to do, because the "big guys" all do it!
    And, realistically, unless you're in a guild that can actually pull a boss on schedule, and coordinate everyone potting - it's basically a waste of a pot
    (And alot of gold.)

I've been in so many "progression minded" guilds that would demand I pre-pot for the few seconds of extra DPS... and then take 45 seconds to pull the boss, and make you wait another 10 for the tank to "get threat" and "position the boss."
    *sigh*

yeah thing is tho, its easy to do if you just countdown right, mine goes something like this "pulling in 5, 4, 3, 2, prepot, 1" everyone pots at the same time and no one get fucked, and if you need to wait for threat in this tier your tanks suck

Deleted
    It's not so much the individual pre-pot, but pre-pot x 6 dps or whatever - that's quite a lot. also you shld pre-pot, trink/pof etc, then army or ghoul if possible. save second pot for execute phase (<35%) or hero (unless there is a emergency nuke requirement ofc).

pre-pot, trink/pof etc, then army
    You want to pop the potion after using the army, not before.
    Thanks Jekdin for the amazing signature!

Quote Originally Posted by makine View Post
    But wasting 4 sec pot time for channeling army is so cool!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by makine View Post
    hmm ok.. i lose 4 sec bringing army up after pot, but then the whole army-time is +1200 str for them and i still have enough pot-time to drop a load of obliterates.. didn't realise that was a dps loss.

so basically i pre-pot then pof etc on my pof macro, then army so they have max stat snap-shot. if that's wrong i learnt something ty.
    Last edited by mmocfce2797b25; 2012-03-05 at 02:40 PM.

Pre-potting is essential for everyone. Even in 5 mans!

/crafts and auctions more pots

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people really army and pot?

Has anyone checked to see if it truly improves their dps? I can imagine that I'd get more out of the 4 or 5 seconds of 1200 more strength (relative to my abilities + pillar + any proc), than I would from throwing away all that time with Army. It's been shown before that popping army in a fight is a dps loss. What about before?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic View Post
    yeah thing is tho, its easy to do if you just countdown right, mine goes something like this "pulling in 5, 4, 3, 2, prepot, 1" everyone pots at the same time and no one get fucked, and if you need to wait for threat in this tier your tanks suck
    an easier way to do this is to get the tank to use the dbm countdown function.

/dbm pull 5
    will put up a raid warning at 5 secs, then 3, 2, 1. The pull timer can be longer but this times everyone perfectly for pre-potting and other similar times you want to countdown.

Deleted
    i only meant before. using army in a fight (unless there is a pause) is a dps loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoog View Post
    i only meant before. using army in a fight (unless there is a pause) is a dps loss.
    Just like wasting 4+ sec of pre pot time on army is a dps loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoog View Post
    hmm ok.. i lose 4 sec bringing army up after pot, but then the whole army-time is +1200 str for them and i still have enough pot-time to drop a load of obliterates.. didn't realise that was a dps loss.

so basically i pre-pot then pof etc on my pof macro, then army so they have max stat snap-shot. if that's wrong i learnt something ty.
    Army does so little damage that it wouldn't be worth wasting the 4 seconds. You should do more damage in 4 seconds than Army will do it's entire duration.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dreameer111 View Post
    Can someone please explain to me in noob terms what exactly this mean and why I should do it?
    It's extra DPS within the pull and overall damage.

Deleted
    OK a new thing learnt. Thanks for all the constructive comments.