Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Still , even if u go back at 30 lvl areas , u still get karmas(valor points)
    But again go back to my point of nothing scales up same for currency.

Deleted
    They want higher lvl ppl to play with their lower lvl buds .
    They want life in any section in the world
    They have stated that , while the exp and currency , maybe will be lower in these lvl areas for them , but they want to make it more attractive , so u wont ditch ur friends
    It will scale

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    They want higher lvl ppl to play with their lower lvl buds .
    They want life in any section in the world
    They have stated that , while the exp and currency , maybe will be lower in these lvl areas for them , but they want to make it more attractive , so u wont ditch ur friends
    It will scale
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...xbcYbl0#t=111s

Deleted
    Sorry , if i sound too much nutcracker and mean , happens when i drink

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    In fact, going back to EQ1 I have found most hardcore and elite PVE raiding guilds to be quite cliquish &/or insular to that degree. Esp. back when guilds guarded their strategies and tactics zealously. Instead of this youtube nonsense we have nowadays.
    Saw this with the Hammerknell release in Rift too. Top guilds not releasing their kill videos for weeks/months after the kill and keeping their stategies secret. Competing guilds wouldn't even talk to each other. They sparked awesome (bitter) rivalries too. Guilds were even cropping out raid frames, loot drops, chat boxes and as many players as they could from their verification kill screenshots so that other guilds couldn't figure out their raid compisitions. They would have a second group of alts in the guild zone into Hammerknell so that nobody could figure out who was in the raid by doing a /who and filtering by guild.

It was some real secretive stuff. Insanely awesome as well. I really miss those days of WoW and even looking back at Rift. That atmosphere just builds suspense so much. Nobody knew if guild X was regularly getting Boss Y to 5% or if they couldnt get past the first phase so when guilds did get kills it was still a huge surprise. There was some drama with a guild who started out very strong in the race and got a few world firsts, but it turned out that they used some strats that exploited bugs and had some help from a Rift developer that said a little too much which gave them a decent advantage that nobody else had. The world firsts counted for nothing after word got out and that guild pretty much failed at the rest of HK lol.

Goooood times!
    Last edited by Rife; 2012-04-26 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Your making this assumption from 1 level 30 hardmode dungeon?
    Its not an assumption, its game design. Anything else I would tell you would break the NDA. Its a PvP game with some PvE. Open beta is also limited in content compared to the NDA beta, thats why there is no NDA on the open beta's.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2012-04-26 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asajj View Post
    Since I've been a WoW player for a long time, I'd hoped that I will get the chance to play GW2 with somewhat likeminded people when it comes to general MMO gaming and some people who view WoW critically whether they like it or not. I hate fanboys and I hate calling one game "full of kids" or "retarded" or "it sucks" just because you hate it for some reason.

Even tho I have come to not enjoy WoW as much as I used to and I think it has gone downhill, I still have the utmost respect for the game and would like to play among people who feel the same.

That being said, I'd like to know where all the top WoW players will be so I can join them, since I myself am a highly competitive individual and would like to take GW2 seriously and be the best at what I do there.

So all of you PVE-ers and PVP-ers who consider yourself to be in the top league of WoW please respond.

Thanks for your time!
    Doesn't really matter, you can always server change so that takes away from the effect of being "locked" into a server. Same with wow, while wow may be a little more expensive to do it, the idea is still there...

Chances are if any high end guilds do come over from wow, you won't find out til a later date in beta and on the forums with where they're going to call "home"
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    And, on a more hostile sidenote that I can't put in a news post. Seriously, who the fuck takes mmowned as a reliable source to the point where news sites will just repost it without any double check? Now I'm sad, or mad, or both. I don't know. >
    Thanks Boub for this epic sig! lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point it doesn't really matter seeing as the server list currently is just beta stuff. I suggest waiting till the actual release and then asking again.

Deleted
    Personally, I think Dynamic events are like LFR system, but with more potential. Sure, you can call them "zergish" in nature but LFR is exactly that, I mean the difficulty there is so watered down that as long people press 3 buttons and listen to autopilot (DBM) they get loot.

I actually am inclined to say that elite DEs can be harder than LFR by leap and bounds. The potential is there, we can see that in videos.

I take personal offence when someone is saying that raids in WoW are challenging (both normal and HC), it's like getting an achievement for putting fresh batteries inside your flash light. Just "input" your character with Y minimum ilvl, X spec, install DBM - voilà, loot. It's just pure math.

I refuse to believe that (huge) majority of people who don't raid in WoW are retarded to the point where they can't move when the screen flashes "MOVE OUT OF FIRE". They don't raid not because it's too difficult, but because people created this "myth" of hard raid content.

I'm not interested in "converting" WoW players to GW2, I just fail to see the reason why people think that static, instanced, gear dependent, repetitive, very limited and closed Raid instances are the only possible solution for attractive and engaging PVE experience.

The thing is a lot of the "difficulty" in GW2 simply is that mobs hit for a shitton yet can also take quite the beating. Encounters can be difficult, but its a sort of difficulty which is apart from the mechanical difficulty of other MMOs.

Tactical considerations are also somewhat haphazard. So the overall pace and feel of combat is one of sloppiness or chaos. None of this is bad, natch. Merely a different style of gameplay. However, it is a bit of a misunderstanding for people to continue to think somewhere deeper in GW2 there are these great set piece encounters. I highly doubt that sort of design is even possible w/ Anet's combat system, truthfully.

What makes raiding tick in games such s WOW is not 'challenge'. Though certainly welcomed in cases, difficulty/challenge really misses the point of most game design.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    cut
    You know, I had this big wall of text explaining (attempting to at least) why GW2 can more challenging, but I've deleted it, because I found easier explanation.

GW2 brings PVP to PVE. That's it. It's not about world PvP - in sense you have to be on guard because there might be some ally behind that hill. But in a sense that fights are more dynamic and twitch based. Just like in PvP in other games, you need to move, use your skills in more efficient way and watch your surroundings. And no matter how you twist it, playing against other players has higher potential of challenge and Anet tries to give the taste of it even in PVE.

In WoW, doesn't matter if you're leveling up, doing daily quests or helping out a low lvl friend, there is ZERO sense of danger. Last time I died because of out door mob was back in vanilla WoW when I was leveling my first character - what is it now.. seven or eight years ago? Add to that the fact that most classes can solo ANY group quests and we receive a poorly rendered 3d film which always ends in happy end no matter how bad we are.

Dying while questing in WoW is like, failing in the first level of Mario. Sure, it may be bad luck due to answering a phone while jumping, but still it's not something you want to share with your friends :P.

Of course, GW2 will not slap you with die-hard mobs right of the gates, as we could see (and will see this Friday) low level content is pretty easy - like in all types of games. But, I still remember like one of the Anet's Devs said something along the line that "if you have trouble staying alive in pre 30lvl content, you will struggle at 40 and cry at 60". There are what, 80lvls? That sounds really great.

In contrary to general opinion, people like hard stuff. Even when they can't beat it and cry about it's what gives them the incentive to play. You of all people should remember the times when games where actually fun (despite square faces ;D). Because games back then weren't afraid to challenge people.

Now we have games with single player modes which can be completed by just running towards :/ ...

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    You know, I had this big wall of text explaining (attempting to at least) why GW2 can more challenging, but I've deleted it, because I found easier explanation.

GW2 brings PVP to PVE. That's it. It's not about world PvP - in sense you have to be on guard because there might be some ally behind that hill. But in a sense that fights are more dynamic and twitch based. Just like in PvP in other games, you need to move, use your skills in more efficient way and watch your surroundings. And no matter how you twist it, playing against other players has higher potential of challenge and Anet tries to give the taste of it even in PVE.
    Hmm. I get what you are trying to say here but I think more simply- GW2 is a twitch/action game. That's really the key here.

The type of "challenge" GW2 offers is more twitch based gaming- not PVP, per se. Although it is pretty clear once you are in there, GW2 is PVP focused game primarily. I would not consider this to be more challenging by any stretch either, simply a different sort of challenge.

That's all there is to it really. Nothing trumped up greater than other MMOs that stress a different mode of gameplay. Its just an "Action MMO", if you will. Closer to Diablo or an X-box game than the statistical crunch of Ultima or Might & Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    For anyone thinking that the 5 mans are going to be really tough, you are going to be disappointed, they are basically a walk through even on hardmode
    And you what are you basing this information on? The available information, let alone footage, of Hardmode dungeons is somewhat limited. But everything points towards a challenging experience.

Deleted
    I was more referring to the fact that in GW2, even the simplest PVE content will be more engaging. It finally adds more depth. Then again "math" side of the game is still in place. Traits, runes, sigils, gems etc are more than enough to build quite unique play style.

It's just nice to know that if I beat some part of the content, the success was more thanks to "me", than what I wear. It's just shift in proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    There is no PvE end game, PvE is made to cater to the more casual non raiding player. For anyone thinking that the 5 mans are going to be really tough, you are going to be disappointed, they are basically a walk through even on hardmode. Sure there are a few tough moments, but overall very very casual friendly like wow 5 man heroics. DEs are good imo, but they aren't even remotely hard unless no one shows up to do them.
    So you've done every hardmode dungeon already? Don't worry, you can tell me as there isn't a NDA on things you haven't done or seen yet. There are a lot of mechanics that can be done to make GW2 content tough, and if you can't see that then it's your fault.

I really want this game to come out, not only to play it but to stop ignorant posts like this from popping up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Do everyone here a favor and stay on wow. We don't want your kind.

That's more than a bit over the line. Please be respectful of other posters. Infracted. -Edge
    Isn't the MMORPG crowd of Rift,GW2,WOW,SWTOR and the like common?

You act as if there will be a difference.

I dont see raid people from wow or swtor going in 'groups' for gw2. I guess they will individually try it and go back to their pay-games. at least those in my raiding guild will do that.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Do everyone here a favor and stay on wow. We don't want your kind.
    I really hope that people like this don't form a significant portion of the Guild Wars 2 population because when I play GW2, it'll be to get away from the WoW community. This Guild Wars 2 elitism thing is just ridiculous.

To the OP, I like your post and the reasoning behind it, but my guild is undecided about which realm we'll be playing on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asajj View Post
    Since I've been a WoW player for a long time, I'd hoped that I will get the chance to play GW2 with somewhat likeminded people when it comes to general MMO gaming and some people who view WoW critically whether they like it or not. I hate fanboys and I hate calling one game "full of kids" or "retarded" or "it sucks" just because you hate it for some reason.

Even tho I have come to not enjoy WoW as much as I used to and I think it has gone downhill, I still have the utmost respect for the game and would like to play among people who feel the same.

That being said, I'd like to know where all the top WoW players will be so I can join them, since I myself am a highly competitive individual and would like to take GW2 seriously and be the best at what I do there.

So all of you PVE-ers and PVP-ers who consider yourself to be in the top league of WoW please respond.

Thanks for your time!
    No offence, but if you consider yourself same quality as top wow players, shouldn't you know them already so you can ask them yourself? (no, it's not bashing or anything mean, just a simple question if to be on par with top players one might think they have played and been compared together).
    My best choice would say ask your WoW-guild first, or type in it's forum... since most serious guilds seem to have their own site and forum.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Or you can roll with the cool kids and go on the MMOC guild server. That's a thing too. :3

For PvP Sorrow's Furnace seems to be the popular one. A lot of DAoC people are playing there. (DAoC is what inspired WvWvW in GW2)
    But if all PvP'ers go Sorrow's Furnace will you even meet any good people in WvW?