Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Guys, watch the language. We all can disagree however strongly without the "colorful" language.

- Fencers
    I like colorful language <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    I like colorful language <3
    I think I may start doing this lol....

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 10:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    How mature of you. Who is butthurt? not me, but if I was to consider the post you made....

I like people to disagree with me, I dont like it when people say that other people's agruements or opinions are irrelevant. Its a discussion forum, surely everyones point is equally valid, even if you dont agree with it.

I find it odd that a mod thinks it acceptable to say other people's opinions are "pointless", "irrelevant" and to be patronising in his posting. But aparantly thats just me.

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 03:46 PM ----------

anyway, as some people are becomming quite unpleasant I'll leave this thread now. the point of interesting discussion has obviously ended.
    Yup I'm immature for referring to you as "butt hurt" because you know, saying a mod was rude hen they clearly weren't and then spewing nonsense isn't a sure fire sign of what I said to be true...

A warning was given to tone it down. No need for bickering. -- Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-07 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Competitive PvE: the race to see who can run out of stuff to do the fastest!

I personally never saw the appeal. If it's going to be 8 months until we get something new, why would I want to blaze through it in 2-3 weeks?

None of the reasons above are truly convincing to me. Like the little dragon one looks more like art than an actual in-game picture. (I know this dragon is really in the game, no need to remind me).

will give a shot to gw2...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    Competitive PvE: the race to see who can run out of stuff to do the fastest!

I personally never saw the appeal. If it's going to be 8 months until we get something new, why would I want to blaze through it in 2-3 weeks?
    Yeah in all honesty I don't see the appeal to it either... Usually me and my friends (tend to split into 2 5 man groups) will rec each other but I never saw the appeal to be "world first "
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Nothing rude about what I said above. Within MMOs Competitive PVE doesn't imply competing on a internal or local level among your associates. It is safe to say many, including the above quoted- are speaking on Competitive PVE in the context apart from challenging your friends to a footrace or jumping puzzle.

That some will have competition among themselves over those type of actives- sure. Not in question. So the point is moot.

"Players can compete over anything! Huzzah!", again, yes. But that is now so broad we may as well not even talk about Competitive PVE in the context of MMOs of the last decade or so.

It's pretty clear few are talking about the desire to compete in PVE to solve a jumping puzzle when they speak on Competitive PVE in MMOs. World first, per server guild rankings for raid and dungeon clears, etc-- obviously so.

We see this argument in other forms as well. Notably in role trinity; "oh, I took damage and survived! I'm tanking!"

That is sort of pointless. It's so broad as to be meaningless to the concept of a class trinity. So to, does the argument of meta-competition equating to the concept of Competitive PVE as seen in World of Warcraft, Everquest, Rift, The Old Republic, Radiant Arcana, Aion and so on.

To be clear, yea you can compete with Timmy all you desire. That is fine. Go for it. However, no one is really talking about that when they are speaking about Competitive PVE in a higher sense.
    I understand this completely. It's just the conditioning of previous MMOs. I understand the lust for competitive PvE in terms of the "big" achievements, like server/world first. But, I feel like MMOs have told people that's what is fun and what they have to do, and people have adapted that to be their definition. Their definition doesn't apply to GW2, so it can't exist in any other form; thus, competitive PvE doesn't exist at all in their minds. An example would be even if a person has collected nearly every pet/mount/achievement in WoW, aside from raiding ones, they're seen as casual because they don't raid.

The separation between GW2 having competitive PvE and not having it, then, comes down to GW2 not having achievements for World First Explorable Mode Complete: Ascalaon Catacombs. Is that enough to say GW2 has no real competitive PvE?

Deleted
    It's pretty clear few are talking about the desire to compete in PVE to solve a jumping puzzle when they speak on Competitive PVE in MMOs. World first, per server guild rankings for raid and dungeon clears, etc-- obviously so.
    Then if anything people need to speak in less general terms and stop wondering why x game hasn't done exactly what predecessors have. If you want raids and raid schedules, then they are out there in many forms, the only reason they are referred to as such is frankly because there is little else out there, there is one way to compete that has been predesigned for you to follow, perhaps you should adopt terms like ranked or linear PvE to distinguish. But there is plenty of scope for healthy PvE competition going on in Gw2, the parameters of which have simply been left up to player desire to establish.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Is that enough to say GW2 has no real competitive PvE?
    In the same context as other major MMOs of the past decade, yes. Guild Wars 2 has no similar Competitive PVE.

Guild Wars 1 didn't either. Both fine games despite this lack of. So while you are correct in that competition can exist without the specific competitive structures of other MMOs. That is not to say Guild Wars as a franchise [past & present] has Competitive PVE such as is known in other MMOs.

I understand this completely. It's just the conditioning of previous MMOs. I understand the lust for competitive PvE in terms of the "big" achievements, like server/world first. But, I feel like MMOs have told people that's what is fun and what they have to do, and people have adapted that to be their definition. Their definition doesn't apply to GW2, so it can't exist in any other form; thus, competitive PvE doesn't exist at all in their minds. An example would be even if a person has collected nearly every pet/mount/achievement in WoW, aside from raiding ones, they're seen as casual because they don't raid.

The separation between GW2 having competitive PvE and not having it, then, comes down to GW2 not having achievements for World First Explorable Mode Complete: Ascalaon Catacombs. Is that enough to say GW2 has no real competitive PvE?
    See, the MMO market is evolving with GW2 and most of the player base will not evolve with it. Being stuck doing the same sheep dailies and the same sheep bosses. I love raiding in WoW and while im not in a world first guild I am in a guild going for server firsts. That is how I view competitive pve in wow terms, however, im also going to play GW2 because its worth every damn penny due to the amount of content you get for an initial cost. People cant just play games for fun anymore which is why many people just wont understand the games direction. Luckily for them MOP is coming out a month later so they can go back to their grinding and repetitive boss kills, and I will see them there.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha, this thread has really digressed, huh?

as far as competitive PvE is concerned GW2 will have it, whether it is implemented by the devs or just started between guilds on a server or between all servers it will occur, people just have to remember that it will NOT be like the implementation in WoW style MMOs. frankly i think it's really myopic of people to describe all "end-game" in all MMOs with standards and criteria that only apply to certain specifically designed games. WoW's end-game can fairly be compared to SWTOR & Rift because they are built from a similar ilk, GW2 on the other hand has very different systems and mechanics that govern its content, so comparing them on a 1:1 basis is just silly.

to all those people coming from other MMOs, the absolute worse thing you can do is go into GW2 expecting WoW or SWTOR or Rift. you will not only be doing the game a disservice but mainly you will be dong yourself a disservice as you could potentially taint an otherwise enjoyable experience, just because you approach it with preconceived notions or bias or both. play GW2 and enjoy it for what it is, not for what it isn't. assuming you won't enjoy yourself just because it does not have "instanced" raids is very short-sighted: you may not enjoy other PvE content in games that have raiding because the game is design in such a way as to make all content but raiding appealing to the playerbase. GW2 is designed differently and you could find that non-"instanced" raid PvE you detested in another game could actually be more enjoyable than raiding in your current game.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Do you guys define "Competitive PvE" through number of people in group? I find that kind of arbitrary.

Competitive PvE isn't created by the developers themselves, it's much more of a community created thing. Certain peoples obsession with world firsts only exists when there are other people they respect as good players aiming for the same goal. So I think GW2 has competitive PvE. It won't be as wildly popular as WoW's PvE, but people will still be shooting for server first completion of dungeons and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    Do you guys define "Competitive PvE" through number of people in group? I find that kind of arbitrary.

Competitive PvE isn't created by the developers themselves, it's much more of a community created thing. Certain peoples obsession with world firsts only exists when there are other people they respect as good players aiming for the same goal. So I think GW2 has competitive PvE. It won't be as wildly popular as WoW's PvE, but people will still be shooting for server first completion of dungeons and such.
    Competitive PvE came about because MMO developers realized their content wasn't as fun as it should be. To drive players to do their content fast and in full, they devised a genius of plan of pitting them against each other, whereas whomever could accomplish the near-mindless tasks first and flawlessly were considered revered among the PvE crowd. Unfortunately, the idea of that fun has seeped into the community and became the norm. To be honest, I've only dabbled in Heroic raiding because it interested me only very slightly. My real interest in WoW was collecting stuff and looking cool, while having the ilvl right under heroic (ended Cata at around 398-400 ilvl). But the raiding wasn't even fun after the first couple times...sigh. Gotta catch 'em all!

That's my conclusion. A game shouldn't have competitive PvE if it's a replacement for the fun factor. This is why it exists in WoW, per my rationale.

Competitive PvE came about because MMO developers realized their content wasn't as fun as it should be. To drive players to do their content fast and in full, they devised a genius of plan of pitting them against each other, whereas whomever could accomplish the near-mindless tasks first and flawlessly were considered revered among the PvE crowd. Unfortunately, the idea of that fun has seeped into the community and became the norm. To be honest, I've only dabbled in Heroic raiding because it interested me only very slightly. My real interest in WoW was collecting stuff and looking cool, while having the ilvl right under heroic (ended Cata at around 398-400 ilvl). But the raiding wasn't even fun after the first couple times...sigh. Gotta catch 'em all!

That's my conclusion. A game shouldn't have competitive PvE if it's a replacement for the fun factor. This is why it exists in WoW, per my rationale.
    Competition is completely natural in all games. It's not put in there because they want to blind you when you aren't having fun, competition-is- fun for most people.

I mean if you can play Zelda: OoT competitively, then you can play anything.

Competitive PvE came about because MMO developers realized their content wasn't as fun as it should be. To drive players to do their content fast and in full, they devised a genius of plan of pitting them against each other, whereas whomever could accomplish the near-mindless tasks first and flawlessly were considered revered among the PvE crowd.
    Eeerrrmm. That is not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post

I still don't think server firsts will mean a thing. As easy as it will be to transfer servers and having cross server guilds..it will be pretty meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    I still don't think server firsts will mean a thing. As easy as it will be to transfer servers and having cross server guilds..it will be pretty meaningless.
    The meaning will be in the pursuit, not in the notoriety. It'll be a race between people who know the server and each other. I.E., not as large scale as WoWs.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Competitive PvE came about because MMO developers realized their content wasn't as fun as it should be. To drive players to do their content fast and in full, they devised a genius of plan of pitting them against each other, whereas whomever could accomplish the near-mindless tasks first and flawlessly were considered revered among the PvE crowd.
    Where in the world did you pull this made up hog wash from? Competitive PVE came organically completely from the audience and the developers saw their was a interest and gave it a small nod. Most of it is kept track of outside the game itself through various websites and what not. In the case of wow world firsts and so on became acknowledged by Blizz but there was little to no direct interface with the game itself until achievements came to the game much much later. Competitive PVE or anything really is just a natural expression of peoples drive to compete. All this neo armchair game psychology BS that is running around at how we have all been tricked by the big evil companies to like this or that is laughable.

Personally I have no idea why this "competitive thing" is popular, only a very small part of the community really competes for server-firsts. I don't know a single player who cares... which of course doesn't mean that there are some who enjoy it. But why would you care if you aren't among the top5-10?

Competitive gameplay on the other hand, where you compare your achievements with your friends is extremely enjoyable for me. Achievements in the game even are designed to let you do this, which I like:

I don't think that server-first on gw2-explorable mode dungeons makes any sense at all, because those dungeons are designed to have random events happening. Because of this dungeon-runs aren't really equally difficult and the first on the server who beats a dungeon will be called a lot of things...: "yeah, they got lucky with the events, probably got all the easy ones" (remember, about 10 random events happen during a dungeon run). And don't forget the different paths either.

It's not an even playground, but it's fun and surprising... that's what matters to me.

Competitive pve is a bit of an oxymoron