Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Aion is without a shadow of a doubt the best PvP game released in the last 5 years. When I first picked it up on release I was literally BLOWN away by the stunning graphics, personally I liked the grind, it gave the game actual longevity although I do realise it obviously burnt a lot of people out and needed fixing. Sure the graphics are not that amazing compared to some games released since but for 2009 the graphics were absolutely mind blowing.
    I only wish I could go back to it now but I can't thanks to how terrible AionEU has been made, so wish I played AionUS .

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor7782 View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering since going F2P has it made Aion any better? I tried it first month it came out but havent looked at it since - Is the game pvp or pve focused? I'm guessing they have instances/dungeons etc?

Any comments greatly appreciated =)

Nah man im in the US version.
    Gonna answer this.

since going F2P has it made Aion any better
    More people. More servers (Kahrun and fast track servers, seeing as there's 5 channels to it). Player Housing. Level Cap Increase. Mounts. I dunno, like 4 new dungeons, a new raid, um.....NHL Hockey is back and I blame Aion....lol

Is the game pvp or pve focused?
    Kinda....both. It's got raiding, dungeons, solo dungeons, "arena" crucibles and lotsa PvP. It's got enough to say both sides of the coin are being given a very fair amount of attention. If I were to pick one; I'd say PvP, just because other than the fast track servers, which only go to L50, there are only PvP Servers.

I'm guessing they have instances/dungeons etc?
    Solo Dungeons. Three Man Dungeons (Soon, in 4.0), Six Man Dungeons, 12m Raids. There are ~25 dungeons. Think there's 3 or 4 raids now....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Aion: Has anyone given it a second chance since FTP?

So like a few people, i am finally over WoW and it's datedness in terms of looks/gameplay the only thing it has going for it now is the amount of content it has which is nice, but the latter ruins most of it. I got MoP, been playing since 2008, and finally been able to quit thanks to Aion (this isn't an aion is better than wow btw just my opinion) WoW was fun for many years, but has become quite dated in todays world, they wont upgrade their hardware/engines they cant even send heirlooms cross server, etc. moving on. Again don't take this the wrong way it's just my opinion.

Aion has made me have fun on an mmo once more, i'm actually having a blast grinding and the FTP i wouldn't know about because stuff on the store is just so good it makes you want to pay a little here and there.
    Make no mistake this is a korean mmo so yes it's grindy but thats what i like about it your not max level in 4 days. The content is hard, challenging, satisfying and the pvp (untill wow which i thought had done it really well) is so intense.

I can honestly say i'm glad i gave it a second chance.

The expansion is being released later this year trailer is below, 4.0

Also i think there should be an aion sub forum on this website, i mean if they have swtor it only makes sence.

I couldn't get into it, I had some odd problem with getting myself immersed.

Aion feels like Sonic the hedgehog as an MMO. It´s like you see wood and when you touch it it´s just plastic. It´s too artificial and unnatural for my taste.

Also i think there should be an aion sub forum on this website, i mean if they have swtor it only makes sence.
    I don't think Aion was ever as popular as SWTOR on this forum, even when you compare both of their peaks (and I'm talking about SWTOR before the forum was granted, just the SWTOR thread).
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well tbh they reduced the grind anyways by reducing exp needed to level and increasing exp gains from questing. Plus the Fast Track Server is double exp and will now go to 55 in 4.0.

I love the game and especially the combat mechanics(KDs/Aether's Hold etc) but i need a break from it every so often due to the low asmo pop on many of the servers. Thhough with WvW coming in 4.0 as well this might not even be an issue anymore. I also still play wow however to scratch that pve itch.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't think Aion was ever as popular as SWTOR on this forum, even when you compare both of their peaks (and I'm talking about SWTOR before the forum was granted, just the SWTOR thread).
    True, maybe except Aion does have a playerbase of around 4.5mil i think the number was, as of last year before FTP. It's only gone up since then and SWTOR has surely dropped

Deleted
    I might try it out again at some point. I played it when it launched, albeit not for the longest time. Considering its FTP now i might try it again at some point after hearing the grinding was reduced. I like some grind, but not when its all you can do in a game to reach the next level.
    Whats stopping me? Im too lazy to re-download it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you can stick to campaign quests only and level to 40 on fast track in like 3 days.. compared to when i leveled lol it make the new classes being released much more appealing. I was thinking of rolling a bard, they seem quite strong in pvp

Deleted
    As soon as i reached level 10 or 15 i don't even remember and realised that my quest log had like 15-20 dailies already , i knew it was time to call it quits. If i wanted a job i would go get one that pays me for my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Docxz View Post
    Yeah, you can stick to campaign quests only and level to 40 on fast track in like 3 days.. compared to when i leveled lol it make the new classes being released much more appealing. I was thinking of rolling a bard, they seem quite strong in pvp
    It does, looks so fun but im in europe so not gonna get 4.0 for so long, not even got 3.5 yet :/ gameforge screwed us thats the only downside to aion eu.

Also to someone who said it was like a job? the grind and time spending is the whole point of a mmorpg, this is what wow did it made things to easy, things need to go back to the way they used to be, things used to be hard you had to grind for gear etc and that is when it was at it's peaks, it had progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same problems that drove me from the game 6 months into launch still exist.

My Faction Asmodian is the least played, they still have a buff to exp to get you to play them.
    Servers were reduced and my name lost.

Flying is temporary, and very very limited.

Every Server is a pvp server unless thats changed recently.
    Being ganked by ppl at max level when you cant even quest or farm past 30 is anoying.
    "Ok come at me with learn to play noob".

The characters cant swim.

I Was an elementalist, they had spells that did not list in the tooltips anything but the name of the spell, not the damage range etc.
    "And i had no idea if fire mobs took less damage from fire etc"

Clunky controls, and Rubberbanding, when your walking then suddenly your back 3 or 6 feet.
    And this can happen repeatedly, some say due to lag but i disagree.

Its a game id play with friends since playing solo wont work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harléquin View Post
    It does, looks so fun but im in europe so not gonna get 4.0 for so long, not even got 3.5 yet :/ gameforge screwed us thats the only downside to aion eu.

Also to someone who said it was like a job? the grind and time spending is the whole point of a mmorpg, this is what wow did it made things to easy, things need to go back to the way they used to be, things used to be hard you had to grind for gear etc and that is when it was at it's peaks, it had progression.
    EU Aion is a wreck from what I hear, being from EU myself. People urge everyone to gather at the US servers.

It's the same fiasco every time with MMOs being managed differently depending on region, and more often than not EU management being a complete pile of shit.

Also, agreed on the grind. That's how these games work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw your trailer and if that patch ever comes out ill try it.

However!

Should this prove to be trailer only , and work in progress, or objects in mirror are cooler than they are.

Then ill go back to Guild wars 2.

Oddly enough some of whats in the trailer reminds me of gw2 or is it the other way round RVR and Siege battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    The same problems that drove me from the game 6 months into launch still exist.

My Faction Asmodian is the least played, they still have a buff to exp to get you to play them.
    Servers were reduced and my name lost.

Flying is temporary, and very very limited.

Every Server is a pvp server unless thats changed recently.
    Being ganked by ppl at max level when you cant even quest or farm past 30 is anoying.
    "Ok come at me with learn to play noob".

The characters cant swim.

I Was an elementalist, they had spells that did not list in the tooltips anything but the name of the spell, not the damage range etc.
    "And i had no idea if fire mobs took less damage from fire etc"

Clunky controls, and Rubberbanding, when your walking then suddenly your back 3 or 6 feet.
    And this can happen repeatedly, some say due to lag but i disagree.

Its a game id play with friends since playing solo wont work.
    Hardly any of that is in the game anymore, first:
    Asmo's are now the most overplayed especially on new servers
    Yes every server is pvp, it's a pvevp game but no max level characters can enter rifts anymore because there is pvp zones for them, so you will only get ganked by at least 10 levels higher than you max
    They have swimming in the korean version, it's coming in a patch for america/eu soon because there is a water zone coming
    Spells have tooltips for damage now
    Rubberbanding still happens, but it's nowhere near as much as it used to be

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harléquin View Post
    Hardly any of that is in the game anymore, first:
    Asmo's are now the most overplayed especially on new servers
    Yes every server is pvp, it's a pvevp game but no max level characters can enter rifts anymore because there is pvp zones for them, so you will only get ganked by at least 10 levels higher than you max
    They have swimming in the korean version, it's coming in a patch for america/eu soon because there is a water zone coming
    Spells have tooltips for damage now
    Rubberbanding still happens, but it's nowhere near as much as it used to be
    Then i shall take another look.

Is Elementalist still very weak, And ranger so op that it can stun you mid air over a bottomless pit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm I bought it on Steam about a year and a half ago, but never installed it.
    I really should get around to it.
    I almost bought it on release, but I'm glad I didn't.
    Since then I've bought every single possible fail MMO, and regretted them afterwards.

I always liked the idea of the flying, but I heard it was put into practice badly.
    But heck, I might as well try it out anyway.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me... no one wants perma flying zones like the abyss everywhere, just there is enough and most people can't even really air pvp well anyways.. Gliding is good stuff though, really good pursuit/escape and even kill mechanic

The reason it seems so similar to GW2 is cuz both are done by NC Soft. also low level ganking is virtually impossible now since the introduction of FTS (fast track server). Basically from level 1-50 in the main zones (so no abyss) you can go in there and get double xp plus its all cross realm too so easy groups for instances and campaigns. Come 4.0, it will go to 55 and include Inggy/Gelk too. also 4.0 is supposed to drop quite soon or so i heard, but for sure this year since they are in full ptr in korea in like 2 weeks.

I'd give it about 3-4 months til US has it. As for asmos, i quit before it happened but they brought back incentives on the old servers, so full ap sets bonus xp, crafting bonuses etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Is Elementalist still very weak, And ranger so op that it can stun you mid air over a bottomless pit?
    not sure which class you mean by elementalist but every class is strong in their own right and all can solo players if your skilled and have decent gear. As for rangers, they were really weak from 3.0 until they got needed buffs in 3.5 now i'd say they are on par with all other classes again... not completely op like they were at launch lol
    Last edited by Zaee; 2013-01-09 at 12:23 PM.

I played it early part of last year. It just felt too grindy, the questing got boring after a while and there were weird graphical bugs. Since the flying was so lackluster and your character takes damage if it stays in water too long (wtf), I stopped playing it.

I personally think AION is one of my favorite MMORPG's currently around that actually has a English support. Just the grind in the game is what has kept me away from it. I wasn't a fan of the FTP option, but after playing it for a few weeks after, much of the grind feeling is gone compared to what is was prior to FTP, but it's still substantially higher than WoW, TOR, RIFT or even GW2.

The main issue I have though is that I just hate playing MMORPG's alone, which is why I still play WoW and GW2, along with various older online Xbox games that I truly just hate, but I still play because of friends.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 04:27 AM ----------

not sure which class you mean by elementalist but every class is strong in their own right and all can solo players if your skilled and have decent gear.
    Good Templar players with F___ing destroy groups of players... Scares me.

--Gladiator