Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I remember a time when no games had a tutorial, why exactly do you need some specially made hand holding guide to figure out how to play a game?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Playing through 1-20 kind of is a tutorial honestly.
    2.Loading screen tips
    3.There is a tutorial ( a tip or tutorial whenever something happens) from the interface
    Howay the lads!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    MMO's don't need tutorials. The tutorials hurt an MMO more than they help. For instance: I remember when I started playing and I had no clue what the F was going on around the world... But that was definitely the time I enjoyed WoW the most. I remember just running through Elwynn Forest shooting fireballs at stuff. I had no idea what I was supposed to do but I loved it!
    And even so, the point of an MMO is exploration. I don't want the game telling me everything through tutorials, I want it telling me through my personal exploration and errors. Besides, MMO's aren't really hard to figure out. You take quests, you level, you do dungeons and you raid. That's it.
    Anyways, back in the late TBC I basically knew everything there is to know about the game (Not class specific stuff but where a certain item is dropped, most of the quests and stuff) without any kind of tutorial.

So: no MMO should have a tutorial. Life doesn't have a tutorial so neither should a video game.

Hmm, a very strange comparison there, you can't compare life to a video game mate, it's not even close to a logical comparison. Just sayin'

Carry on lads.

Deleted
    In a way the whole leveling process is a tutorial for endgame.

15+ Year Old Account
    1-89 is a long tutorial to prepare u for pve and pvp at 90, still many ppl cant play on 90
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    No tutorial? The first levels teach you everything, from movement keys to questing. Did you ever turn the tutorial tips on? Looks like you didn't. Then when you get new spells it says things as 'you should use this as often as possible' or 'use this to get the enemy's attention'. Pretty tutorially...

I'm pretty sure that new players automatically have the tips turned on to help them get into the game. They have improved a LOT over the past 2-3 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Dang nabbit, back in my day we had to traverse places like Lord Jabu-Jabu's Belly and the Water Temple without a tutorial in sight. /old man voice
    Was a bit dissapointing the water temple was actually easier in the master quest edition rather then the original though. Jabu Jabu's belly was not particullary hard either.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2013-02-23 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    it has a tutorial.
    1-5 IS the Tutorial.
    1-89 is the tutorial

Well I think the OP is right. I think the game would a lot better if:
    - There was tips and explanations for you until level 15.
    - There was dungeon simulating scenario on level 12 (end of first zone)
    - More class specific training quests until level 20/30 (to learn the basics of your class)

Why? Still too many people yell n00b at new players and kick them out the group. This doesn't help that new player at all. Then there are too option Blizzard can too if they want to fix that. Make the new player better to protect them or make new players unable to be kicked from group. The last one doesn't help no one, because it only gives more irritations. The first option helps everyone, both the new player and players who plays together with new players.

I would say the entire leveling experience is the "tutorial" for a game like WoW which is so focused on level cap. Also leveling up a monk at the moment they've done a great job improving the UI for new players, alerting you whenever a new feature is enabled and even giving you quests directing you to riding trainers now.

If you're not a complete moron the leveling process is more than enough to learn your class and how the game works.

the whole game has become a tutorial

Deleted
    I wish there was something for classes like Druids, who often roll into the early dungeons dressed in intellect cloth, marked as a tank, in cat form and proceed to run away from every mob that looks at them sideways. It can't be a good experience for those newbies to be kicked, and it sucks for the group that is lumbered with them.

Advanced tooltip almost tells you outright how to use your skills. The rest is logic and research.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has tutorial pop ups, 1-10 is the tutorial!
    ...and its not really that hard to get into
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

The tutorials have very basic information at best. And as far as the leveling experience being a tutorial, leveling dungeons are not designed in a way to teach players how to fill their roles or play their classes. Dungeons are so mindnumbingly easy that the only real difficulty for a new player is trying not to get lost and surviving verbal assaults on the occasions they piss off the wrong person. The leveling process doesn't require much know-how either. This is why you see some people near or at max level that are completely clueless about how to play "correctly."

WoW has always relied on its playerbase to educate each other. Yes, there are resources all over the internet to teach people how to play, etc., but that's pretty terrible game design if new players don't learn by doing and have to resort to Google.

the initial quests already introduce us to the basics, first time players have the tip system on which KEEPS popping up with tips as you use them. The UI windows have something that shows what each bit of the UI does (the (?) thing thats, for eg, available on the pet list table in the corner). Spell tooltips have been vastly improved since vanilla and TBC (old hands will remember the difference between tool tips now and then) and new comers have a settings option auto-turned on for changing the tooltips into more explanatory versions styled for beginners

so theres no official "tutorial" like say the start of EVERY HALO GAME (i already know how i walk around and look around goddamnit) or those videos in Deus Ex HR and Me3 but the first few levels, the UI and the settings for tutorial like hints, tips and beginner tool-tips

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Joking aside about how easymode the game has become when it comes to doing quests and leveling why isnt there a decent Tutorial for people who might not know the fastest ways to level or have tons of gold or BoA gear? While waiting for 5.2 to come out I recently went back to Aion since its free to play. They have created an interactive tutorial for both factions and takes you all the way to level 50 to help people like myself who recently came back but might feel overwhelmed by new or changed content. Currently max level is 60 but Im sure by then you will know how to play. It even provides video clips for certain steps showing you how to complete them and also introduces you to dungeons. After completing each step in the tutorial you get various rewards. So why cant the supposed #1 MMO in the world come up with a simple interactive tutorial that helps new players get accustomed to the game? Here it is if anyone cares to check it out:

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/atreian/#home
    Because people are expected to have the cognitive ability to learn from leveling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    There really isn't much left out except for end-game rotations and all that other stuff.
    Even that is in the game. The very, very basics though. If you go to your spellbook there is a tab with "Core Abillities"

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Joking aside about how easymode the game has become when it comes to doing quests and leveling why isnt there a decent Tutorial for people who might not know the fastest ways to level or have tons of gold or BoA gear? While waiting for 5.2 to come out I recently went back to Aion since its free to play. They have created an interactive tutorial for both factions and takes you all the way to level 50 to help people like myself who recently came back but might feel overwhelmed by new or changed content. Currently max level is 60 but Im sure by then you will know how to play. It even provides video clips for certain steps showing you how to complete them and also introduces you to dungeons. After completing each step in the tutorial you get various rewards. So why cant the supposed #1 MMO in the world come up with a simple interactive tutorial that helps new players get accustomed to the game? Here it is if anyone cares to check it out:

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/atreian/#home
    It's intuitive, it starts simple.

In this case it is better to let people learn by exploring instead of telling them they have to do this and that. Some of my happiest days in WoW were when I didn't know shit as a noob and I was frolicking collecting peacebloom and clicking on stuff, talking to NPCs, browsing trainers, vendors, killing random animals.

It was a big discovery when I learned how to chat with other players, first time get into a group and go into some burrow in Teldrassil or discover deadmines lol

The sense of exploration and discovery and the soothing music in Elwynn forest and Teldrassil made me bond with the game.

Now the game became even more linear, new players are herded through the start zones. Any pop up features, tips ruin the sense of immersion.