Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is blizzard so obsessed with plate armors that look impossible?

Impossible for what? you might ask. Well, impossible for everything. Making, using, etc. I can't imagine someone wearing it without collapsing by the weight (even an orc) or trying to put it on himself without cutting himself to shreds. What happened to the old-school alliance Knight armor vs the tribal looking orkish armor, you know, like the ones on the cover of the book Circle of hatred? Why haven't we seen such sets since TBC or even Vanilla pop up? I would totally dig up one of theese if it is made with the great textures that are now standart for the game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMHO gear artwork is getting out of hand.

Armour and weapons are getting every more and more elaborate - not necessarily for the better. It all looks so "busy" now.

Trying to put together a stylish "minimalist" transmog with current gear is nigh impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Impossible for what? you might ask. Well, impossible for everything. Making, using, etc. I can't imagine someone wearing it without collapsing by the weight (even an orc) or trying to put it on himself without cutting himself to shreds.
    It's called high fantasy. And if you think these armor sets are bad, you should check out most Korean MMOs. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

There are a few sets from Cataclysm worth a look. I particularly like this one: http://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set=1114

our characters can break the ground with a punch. if we can do impossible things, we can wear impossible armor.

because magic, fireballs and dragons.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    IMHO gear artwork is getting out of hand.

Armour and weapons are getting every more and more elaborate - not necessarily for the better. It all looks so "busy" now.

Trying to put together a stylish "minimalist" transmog with current gear is nigh impossible.
    Right? they need to tone things down a bit. It's hard to wear armor that is bigger than you and twice as heavier. Even if you are a mighty warrior.

expecially the weapons. They're to the point where if you actually swung some of these things at something, it would just break in half, or at least by the second hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Impossible for what? you might ask. Well, impossible for everything. Making, using, etc. I can't imagine someone wearing it without collapsing by the weight (even an orc) or trying to put it on himself without cutting himself to shreds. What happened to the old-school alliance Knight armor vs the tribal looking orkish armor, you know, like the ones on the cover of the book Circle of hatred? Why haven't we seen such sets since TBC or even Vanilla pop up? I would totally dig up one of theese if it is made with the great textures that are now standart for the game.
    Because this isn't real life with limited strength. We for god sakes kill huge ass dragons and monsters. Just think of Supremus, this guy would crush you in one hit if this wouldn't be World of Warcraft. Where everything is possible and logic doesn't matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxx0rcist View Post
    Because this isn't real life with limited strength. We for god sakes kill huge ass dragons and monsters. Just think of Supremus, this guy would crush you in one hit if this wouldn't be World of Warcraft. Where everything is possible and logic doesn't matter.
    But it starts to look ridiculous and ugly.
    At least in vanilla you could kill a dragon without having a shoulder armor that would collapse you to the ground.

Deleted
    Hitler started to invade Poland. The Polish army bravely going in defence... armed with a gun and sabel while driving on horses..
    Totall annihilation on the Polish side.. the had no chance against the mighty tanks of the 3th reich.

Moral of the story.. Time goes on, and armors improve, cant always stay with the old armor

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Trying to use rational in a game that mails out dragons...mmmhmmm seriously. Decaff.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Shoulders in WoW are essentially the e-peen of your character. The bigger, the badder you are. That's why I roll Orc Shaman with the challenge mode totem shoulders. I just want everyone to know the higher my pixels go in virtual space, the more amazing I am at life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deschim View Post
    Hitler started to invade Poland. The Polish army bravely going in defence... armed with a gun and sabel while driving on horses..
    Totall annihilation on the Polish side.. the had no chance against the mighty tanks of the 3th reich.

Moral of the story.. Time goes on, and armors improve, cant always stay with the old armor
    Yet, if you look at a King Tiger tank's armor, its heavy as hell, wich makes the tank unmaneuverable, unreliable, expensive to make, and generally a pain in the arse. Most Ferdinand tank destroyers were lost due to mechanical failiure instead of enemy fire too.
    Yet you look at a post war Leopard 1 tank, it's none of theese.

Moral of the story, Tanks and World of warcraft don't really compute...

Deleted
    At least in vanilla you could kill a dragon without having a shoulder armor that would collapse you to the ground.
    Vanilla's armor simplicity was due to WoWs infancy and the lack of previous armor sets to "improve" upon. However, a lot of the plate armor in vanilla/TBC was still as "unrealistic" (ohai warrior t1 helm/shoulders that offered no protection and was just as likely to damage you as the enemy - see my sig) as the sets today. Due to there no longer being a realistic limit to how texturally/geometrically detailed a set can be we see more and more elaborate armor. I don't think this is a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stating that Blizzard makes Plate Armor that is "Impossible" and then saying that the armor in Classic and tBC was "better" in this regard... almost makes me wish there was some sort of common sense internet fairy that could visit you.

None of the original tier gear for Warriors was by a LONG stretch fo the imagination even a little bit function, with the exception of Tier 3 *maybe*. tBC had more functional plate armor, but frankly it looked so weird that it would be made out of plastic or sculpted wood.

Simply making this thread "The Best Plate Armor gear IMO" would have been more accurate. Instead, you turn it into an attack on a companies values and common sense. I will say that Tier 15 for warriors is probably one of their more functional armor sets though.

That said, it is a fantasy game, EVERY fantasy game comes up with elaborate clothing designs.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    expecially the weapons. They're to the point where if you actually swung some of these things at something, it would just break in half, or at least by the second hit.
    I think the weapons are ok, there are already to many normal looking weapons in game...

I just think about the Warlock set with the massive Demon Horns sticking out the front and laugh when I imagine them on a Gnome. I'm pretty sure if anything was remotely realistic he would be walking backwards, bent over, and dragging his face on the ground from the weight.

Now I know its all fantasy and I'm one that tends to like the massive weapons and such, but even I will admit some of it is a bit ridiculous these days. I play a Shaman, and while I love the new Tier 15 set, I still smirk thinking about how horrible it would be wearing that helm lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Which Vanilla were you playing?

Having new, good-looking gear for your character is important for it's developement. If all the new plate looked like practical application of steel to protect your important areas, there would be little variation. It's also important for the history of your character; Blizzard mostly creates armor/weapons that suits the enviroment that it was obtained from. "Scourge'y" concept from Naxx/ICC, "Firey" concept from firelands etc. It would be sad if the variation from these locations would be only metal texture or inscriptions.
    Mother pus bucket!

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gear art is getting worse and worse.

In my opinion, pick the classic+BC art, combine it with the current quality of textures = perfection.

Really a few items look good. And this happens pretty much since Cata. I believe Wrath was ok, but it was mostly a copy so.