Poll: Is There Less Innocence in the World Today?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    More really. Images have a far smaller impact on the mind than actually being at an event. It's why you can watch 50 fire fight video's on youtube straight and you won't get PTSD.

100 years ago, even in the capitals of the greatest nations on earth you could find the bodies of people on the fucking street who had died of starvation or illness. You didn't not have a job until you were a teenager. In most cases your parents put you to finger crushing work as soon as you were able. You stopped being a kid at about age 6 really. If you were 7 in the poor side of a city like NYC you had probably already seen multiple assaults in your life as well as probably seen at least one kid get half his arm chewed off or worse by a machine at the factory you worked at for a nickel a day. 100 years ago you were in the freaking minority if you didn't know at least one person who had been murdered.

Innoc
    Innocence has not been lost. A twelve year old today might have seen some pictures of a cartel beheading and the two girls one cup video? Big deal. At least they arn't watching their baby sister die of whooping cough, their mother die of yellow fever, and the fact he may having nothing to eat tomorrow because his father was killed in an industrial accident and the company is refusing to give his family any compensation.

Kids today are far more innocent because they are so insulated, and don't experience nearly as much personal trauma. They don't process stuff they see on the internet as something that's happening to them, or even real in a lot of cases.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2013-04-21 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    More really. Images have a far smaller impact on the mind than actually being at an event. It's why you can watch 50 fire fight video's on youtube straight and you won't get PTSD.

100 years ago, even in the capitals of the greatest nations on earth you could find the bodies of people on the fucking street who had died of starvation or illness. You didn't not have a job until you were a teenager. In most cases your parents put you to finger crushing work as soon as you were able. You stopped being a kid at about age 6 really. If you were 7 in the poor side of a city like NYC you had probably already seen multiple assaults in your life as well as probably seen at least one kid get half his arm chewed off or worse by a machine at the factory you worked at for a nickel a day. 100 years ago you were in the freaking minority if you didn't know at least one person who had been murdered.

Innoc
    Innocence has not been lost. A twelve year old today might have seen some pictures of a cartel beheading and the two girls one cup video? Big deal. At least they arn't watching their baby sister die of whooping cough, their mother die of yellow fever, and the fact he may having nothing to eat tomorrow because his father was killed in an industrial accident and the company is refusing to give his family any compensation.
    But there's a difference. Seeing someone dead on the street because you were forced is not really the same as intentionally looking up a cartel beheading. I would argue that there is more cruelty involved when you intentionally do something wrong.
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-04-21 at 06:55 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Personally, I think there is far less innocence/purity in the world today mainly because of access to the internet. It's the first time in human history that we have images and videos for nearly any thought in our wildest dreams. Of course the raw power of the internet is going to come with equally powerful corruption effects.

But this also begs the question, what is innocence and purity good for anyways?
    I'd say there's plenty more. Life has gotten easier to live and we live longer. So if anything, the world has become less violent and brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I'd say there's plenty more. Life has gotten easier to live and we live longer. So if anything, the world has become less violent and brutal.
    If humans are anything like animals, then higher populations cause more brutality and violence not less. Besides if your reasoning was correct, then why can I look up tons upon tons of violent videos on the internet?
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-04-21 at 07:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Innocence is mostly a construct based on neotonic traits that correlate with naivete. So, the most I think we can say is that we are more quickly realizing the nullification of the correlation.

But it's just a construct so who cares. Same goes for purity, though that's a more baseless construct

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so.

I just think with the coming of the digital age, acts of impurity and immorality are now just more in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    I don't think so.

I just think with the coming of the digital age, acts of impurity and immorality are now just more in the open.
    I would agree and disagree here. Yes, there probably was more acts of impurity and immorality in the past than we choose to believe; however, now that these acts are more open to being seen they spread like a plague throughout society and corrupt.
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-04-21 at 07:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree and disagree here. Yes, there probably was more acts of impurity and immorality than we choose to believe; however, now that these acts are more open to being seen they spread like a plague throughout society and corrupt others.
    Theres some things that most people agree that is impure.

Just recently I was unfortunate enough to see glimpses of a Facebook video of a guy performing sexual acts on a child. Even more recent, a young mother twerking while her 2 year old child with a close up view.

But there's a difference. Seeing someone dead on the street because you were forced is not really the same as intentionally looking up a cartel beheading. I would argue that there is more cruelty involved when you intentionally do something wrong.
    Today 14 year olds are looking up beheadings on the internet. 100 years ago they were signing up pretending to be 17 so they could do it IRL during WW1. Tell me which is worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Today 14 year olds are looking up beheadings on the internet. 100 years ago they were signing up pretending to be 17 so they could do it IRL during WW1. Tell me which is worse.
    Also, children also used to (still do in some parts of the world) go witness public executions.

Hmm cruel little jerk looking up violent videos of beheadings, or some kid eager to serve his country because he knew it needed help?

How shall I ever choose?

If humans are anything like animals, then higher populations cause more brutality and violence not less. Besides if your reasoning was correct, then why can I look up tons upon tons of violent videos on the internet?
    Were living in the most peaceful period in human history right now. Because of nuclear weapons no 2 globally powerful nations have gone to war since WW2. Think about that. Think about how violent Europe and Asia were in the centuries leading up to WW2, and look at them now.

The only reason things seem worse now is because the media has to keep spewing out headlines to stay in business.
    Since all you had was newspapers 100 years ago, chances are greg could kill 5 people and the news would never even leave the county or the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Also, children also used to (still do in some parts of the world) go witness public executions.
    Yes, people used to be FORCED to go watch public executions by a government that ruled out of fear. Now children intentionally look up beheadings, torture, animal cruelty, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Innocence is ignorance, and information today is exponentially easier to get, so there is much less innocence; but also ignorance. Gotta take the bad with the good.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Were living in the most peaceful period in human history right now. Because of nuclear weapons no 2 globally powerful nations have gone to war since WW2. Think about that. Think about how violent Europe and Asia were in the centuries leading up to WW2, and look at them now.

The only reason things seem worse now is because the media has to keep spewing out headlines to stay in business.
    Since all you had was newspapers 100 years ago, chances are greg could kill 5 people and the news would never even leave the county or the state.
    War on terror ways hello, war on drugs also says hello, bombing in Boston says hello, and I am sure all those kids at Sandyhook think today is very peaceful....oh and now nuclear weapons are a symbol of peace ladies and gentlemen.

Hmm cruel little jerk looking up violent videos of beheadings, or some kid eager to serve his country because he knew it needed help?

How shall I ever choose?
    Kids hardly just signed up to help their country, and its the same now. They heard stories of heroes, bought into propaganda, and wanted to look tough for their GF. They had no fucking idea what type of help they were about to enter, especially as it was WW1. The war where the shelling never stopped, and the battlefield was a meat grinder where 50,000 men could die in two hours just to take 100 feet of ground.
    Both the snot thinking he is going to kill a thousand krouts/frenchies, and the kid today who sits at home playing CoD and watching cartel video's thinking he could go in and take them all out like the punnisher are equally immature and ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    War on terror ways hello, war on drugs also says hello, bombing in Boston says hello, and I am sure all those kids at Sandyhook think today is very peaceful....oh and now nuclear weapons are a symbol of peace ladies and gentlemen.
    Im sure, despite these being big issues, that they don't scale that well compared to the revolutions in the later 1700s-1800s, the civil wars the proceeded them, and the rising of imperial powers and two world wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost my innocence when i first went on to the mmoc forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Innocence is ignorance, and information today is exponentially easier to get, so there is much less innocence; but also ignorance. Gotta take the bad with the good.
    I would disagree in both cases. Just because everything is easier to get does not necessarily mean that is a good thing, and if you have strolled on the internet for any amount of time there is far more ignorance today than in the past. Probably because the sheer increase in population also increases the occurred of ignorant acts.

What?

So the Crusades weren't brutal? The slaves of the Egyptians, Romans, Athenians etc. Ming Dynasty, Attila, etc.

Yes, there is still a lot of Violence and Brutality (more from countries that are still in the stone age), but significantly less than in the past.