Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Exclamation The rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

State rather you believe this or not and why.

Personally, I do believe it. A person can have a brilliant mind or superior athletic prowess but still be held back their entire lives because they lack money.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the scenarios you've presented - individual with a "brilliant mind" or a great athlete - automatically the chances of this person acquiring money have increased significantly.

Problem poor***?

I don't believe it at all. just get off your arse and stop working at mc donalds and try to become something instead. the road to succes is fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail succes.

and stop wanting it instant like winning in lotto.

no offense meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcrin View Post
    Problem poor***?

I don't believe it at all. just get off your arse and stop working at mc donalds and try to become something instead. the road to succes is fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail succes.

no offense meant.
    So... How's that history class working out for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post

Personally, I do believe it. A person can have a brilliant mind or superior athletic prowess but still be held back their entire lives because they lack money.
    Yes, yes... You're brilliant. We've heard it all before...

Deleted
    He returns!!!!!

Deleted
    as soon as I saw the exclamation mark I knew...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post

college is free if you're a good student

Deleted
    Subscribing to this thread. This should be good.

Deleted
    Problem poor***?

no offense meant.
    You call someone a "poor ****" and then say you mean no offense? Yeah, flawless logic right there.

The poor stay poor because they don't have money to do anything. The road to succes isn't easy, and one will indeed fail a lot at first (unless you're a company named Riot Games). But if someone has a great idea, but absolutely no money to make it reality, then what? They can't do a thing. This isn't always true, but in most cases, the rich will become even richer, and the poor will become more poor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Subscribing to this thread. This should be good.
    Indeed, I'm getting my popcorn.

15+ Year Old Account
    The number of success stories of rags to riches sound good, but they are few and far between. You can be successful in life coming from no money, but it is rare to ever become "rich". It is true that the rich often stay rich, and it is hard to elevate yourself with no money.

However, getting rich or even being successful isn't about being smart, athletic, or talented in any way. It's about drive and ambition. There are tons of smart, talented, athletic people who throw their lives away complaining on the internet about being talented and smart but poor They lack ambition and drive.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Great. Except they ran out of money after the first fail and now can't try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    Which country are you referring to?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

In some ways it holds validity. Such as rich kids having unlimited resources to pursue ridiculous opportunities no matter how much talent they lack i.e. Lena Dunham. On the other hand I feel the statement is often used as a scapegoat for the degenerates in society that continue to live like trash without putting in the significant amount of hard work that is required to achieve something more.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes even in the US smarty pants people can get a "free ride" to university. Get decent grades and a good score on your sat/act and you're all set. Just don't expect it to be to Harvard unless you're a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    im wondering the same thing as masark. my friends and i did very well in college and none of us were able to go for free. we had scholarships, but definitely not enough to make it free.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Yes even in the US smarty pants people can get a "free ride" to university. Get decent grades and a good score on your sat/act and you're all set. Just don't expect it to be to Harvard unless you're a minority.
    Lol minorities get free rides with a C average. It is beyond disgusting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I don't live in the US but even in the USA, I think if you're good enough, they award you with scholarships and at least the undergraduate should be free
    in my country at least, if you don't fail tests in undergraduate education, it's completely free. after that, it's free if you're in the top 5

10+ Year Old Account
    You can have terrible luck your whole life... I definitely believe that one... But there are always chances, as long as you keep going...

Tragically there will be those that pursue betterment their entire lives and reach nowhere, and those that barely lift a finger and have it fall into their laps.

But at the moment in alot of First world societies, the Rich are starting to place a little too much investment into solidifying their positions for those and their family, leaving less and less opportunity for the 'poor' to crawl out from those chances regardless of ability and effort. The money to stand to bleed just a little bit from the top right now.

Being rich definitely puts you into the latter camp of luck.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

People raised on good socio-economic backgrounds have more chances to be successful than people raised on poor socio-economic backgrounds

Money isn't everything, but money buys everything. Money buys education, contacts, knowledge, and all the things that make a successful person successful.
    I have the luck of being raised on a decent socio-economic background. Sure, if one day I become successful (id like to), then obviously that meant I had worked for it. But that also meant Ive been lucky to born at a specific time and place.

And that's why I call bullshit on those people who dismiss economic disparities between rich and poor people as a non-issue. Because it matters, and because it isn't a good enough society to live in where people don't have equal chances to be successful. I support equal opportunities. And no, that doesn't mean things should be handed to people. That mean people should have sufficient tools and resources to, if they have the willpower, become successful. But willpower and work alone lead to nowhere, unless you have something more backing you up.

I'm awaiting Deatheternal's reply.

I did not read every page.

Here are the findings.

The key findings of this study include:
    • There was considerable income mobility of individuals in the U.S. economy during
    the 1996 through 2005 period as over half of taxpayers moved to a different income
    quintile over this period.
    • Roughly half of taxpayers who began in the bottom income quintile in 1996 moved
    up to a higher income group by 2005.
    • Among those with the very highest incomes in 1996 – the top 1/100 of 1 percent –
    only 25 percent remained in this group in 2005. Moreover, the median real income of
    these taxpayers declined over this period.
    • The degree of mobility among income groups is unchanged from the prior decade
    (1987 through 1996).
    • Economic growth resulted in rising incomes for most taxpayers over the period from
    1996 to 2005. Median incomes of all taxpayers increased by 24 percent after
    adjusting for inflation. The real incomes of two-thirds of all taxpayers increased over
    this period. In addition, the median incomes of those initially in the lower income
    groups increased more than the median incomes of those initially in the higher
    income groups.
    http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...3-08revise.pdf