Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Alternatively, if Blizzard caves and gives people high elves (I'm opposed myself), I'd say why not have Dalaran set down in Dustwallow? Theramore is gone. Populating a ruin doesn't sound like the greatest plan. Placing Dalaran there means Kalimdor has a large military Alliance capitol to "oversee" the Horde. If they give the Ogres to the Horde, it would be a nice excuse to redo the whole zone. I mean yes, they'll keep Onyxia's cavern because they don't remove raids, but otherwise it's a zone full of old questline, and dragons that are extinct on Azeroth. They could redo the whole place, have players reach level 10 there, and then send em off to report to their faction capitol or something.

Depending on the theme of the coming expansion, I'm sure there'll be some way to tie that into everything too.
    I mean they could land Dalaran in the crater of Theramore. And create New Theramore. But with Sylvanas being a big baddy probably, Dalaran could land where it was originally in Lordaeron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What makes you think Alleria won't side with the Blood Elves? :P

Or neither. They're both her people.

Eh, not so sure about that.

To be fair, the real problem is that Blood Elves are in the Horde, which never made sense. TBC kind of fucked that up.
    Well im sure. High elves are still very much part of the alliance and are hostile towards the traitouros blood elves. The only problem is they dont have a racial leader or a racial leader. Theyre numbers are scattered, but they are there. In the various human kingdoms(including stormwind), in the eastern plague lands and the hinterlands im just talking about where I saw them recently there are many more locations. Quite possibly some secret locations.

But theyre out there. Just begging for a good leader to unify them under one banner. #Alleria

Second rebuttal. "What makes you think she will side with the high elves"
    Heres what makes me think that:

1. The love of her life is an alliance human. You might of heard of him, he goes by the name of Turalyon.

2. She is a major alliance here. So much so that she was awarded a statue in the capital city of stormwind in her honor(and a major one at that).

3. This quote : "There is no problem. The Alliance wants every orc dead. So do I. We can work together on that." Why the fuck would she side with the assholes that sided with here enemy.

4. The enemy(humans) of my enemy(orcs) is my friend

5. She's a high elf, not a corrupted blood(fel) elf.

I could go on but im so tired. You should be happy. If this comes to pass, WoW might even surprase 12 million or stagnate to a stable number. How epic would it be to play as an alliance high elf under the leadership of Alleria and since blizzard destroyed the "Silhouette" mechanic in MoP we dont have to worry about the models being the same. Besides given how many people played blood elves when it came out. I can only imagine the demand would be greater than that of stupid pandas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be nice actually if they took over Dire Maul and had another city for the Horde and recreate it in a Horde like image with the large massive steel like structures combined with the stone from the large Ogres that make their mounds. More often to I would like even that small isle to be revamped and created for low level Ogres and they go to the main land and quest their hearts out and even having the land of Feralas belonging to the Horde once and for all and then Dustwallow Marsh can become a Alliance only zone.

Dire Maul;
    Stonemaul
    Dunemaul
    Dreadmaul
    Warmaul
    Bloodmaul
    Ravagemaul

Yeah so and they can even share the city with other races of the Horde and even the Ogres finally being able to join the Horde and be part of it.
    Last edited by rcshaggy; 2013-10-03 at 07:10 AM.
    For the Horde!

Technically any elven race is close to the other. High Elf, Blood Elf (Which were actually high elves).. Night Elves.. Day Elves.. (I know day elves don't exist. Shut up.)

HOWEVER personally i'd LOVE to see a horde race that wasn't green. We got enough of them as is. Where is our updated character models anyway?

I don't understand all these requests for High Elves as a playable race to be honest.

It's quite clear the majority of the high elves, have decided that fel magic was the way to go and they started using it and also decided to join the Horde. You are asking to add a race from a handfull of elves that didn't accept fel magic, might aswell give horde the human race that doesn't agree with Varian or the alliance in general.....

They can add much more interesting races then Ogres also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahstrasza View Post
    HOWEVER personally i'd LOVE to see a horde race that wasn't green. We got enough of them as is. Where is our updated character models anyway?
    Well I wouldn't mind seeing Ogres, Cat Tiger Humanoids, Vrykul, and other good races for the Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    They can add much more interesting races then Ogres also.
    What pray tell would be a better race than a Ogre?
    I would love Ogres to be part of the Horde as playable and they can be something like a giant race for the Horde with even more firepower and strength for their armies.
    Last edited by rcshaggy; 2013-10-03 at 07:21 AM.
    For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaxxar View Post

What pray tell would be a better race than a Ogre?
    I would love Ogres to be part of the Horde as playable and they can be something like a giant race for the Horde with even more firepower and strength for their armies.

I guess everybody has a different opinion,wich is expected ofc.

I would personally prefer Ethereals way more then Ogres. To add another muscle pumped race that can't talk properly and is all about brute strenght ( yea yea there are ogre magi also ) seems kinda meh to me...

I wouldn't want High Elves as a *new* race for the Alliance, because lets face it, they are not so different from Blood Elves. I wouldn't mind seeing them added for a patch feature (not an expansion feature) like an exchange of races.

As for Ogres, they seem very likely for the next expansion at this point. The Blizzcon Murloc skin just looks too much like an Ogre (high king maulgar). I also don't care for this race, I find them boring and just derp looking. But they would fit the Horde well.

Like the above poster said, I would rather prefer they added Ethereals.
    Last edited by Kaniinchen; 2013-10-03 at 10:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Not another one. Not another goddamn High Elves for the Alliance thread.

This is the third in the past week!

And as usual it's become a 'How great will this be' thread.

How many times must this argument be had?

Very well. Again. I refuse to let some sort of cozy echo chamber consensus emerge as to why this is a great idea when it's a horrible one.

Usually I talk about Lore reasons. This will focus on plain common sense.

If you people genuinely think Blizzard is going to push adding a race they added seven years ago, except now with blue eyes as a massive expansion feature simply to appease a vocal minority in love with the LOTR stereotype of the Man the Dwarf and the Elf against the Monsters you're mistaken and deluding yourselves. If you want to play a Thalassian Elf so badly, the Blood Elves are there. if you want to indulge the LOTR racial coalition stereotype, you've got LOTRO or Rifts out there.

They are not going to devote substantial development time, including repurposing a zone as a starter zone (when Dustwallow Marsh sits as a 35-40 level zone in the levelling path for both factions) to fill with blood elf architecture tinged blue, blood elf npcs in blue rather than red clothing with blue eyes and a race whose story arc is extremely limited. By which I mean, all the juicy elf lore bits have been appropriated by the Blood Elves and the High Elves get only leavings.

And think of the poor Blizzard devs! First the quest givers have to devise more stories for the elves despite the elves getting quite a bit of attention in MoP. This comes at the expense of two races currently within the Alliance who could do with a bit more lore, the Worgen and the Draenei.

Any High Elf story would be a more extreme rehash of the Blood elf arc, a dying people (to a factor of 10 with the High Elves) seeking their place in the world. Except they don't have the strength to project any sort of power by themselves or to act independently of Dalaran. If I were Fargo the idea would bore me to tears.

They want NEW. They want EXCITING. They want something they can spalsh on billboards and motivate ALL their players. To the majority of the players, Thalassian Elves are a Horde race. They will be vocal about this proposed cheap ass copy paste job.

I wonder if the pro High Elf brigade will ever come to terms with the fact this race will, 95% certain 5% blizzard really is out of ideas, NEVER be playable.

I mean come on it's not rocket science. We have X development time and resources, we can add one new race to the Alliance, do we give them a new race ACTUALLY LINKED TO THIS EXPANSION with new lore and architecture or do we give them a copy/paste Horde race we'll be raked over the coals for and which will generate tons of negative PR which would drown out the few people going 'Yay! We can now play the race we've always wanted despite the option being avaialble for the past seven years and that we have consciously decided not to take advantage of!'

Personally I don't want any new races. I think the existing 13 give enough options and have plenty of stories to be told without throwing any more into the mix.

Besides, with the character model upgrade eating up their artists time and three races being added in the last two expansion cycles, you'd have to be a brave person to bet on new races this time around.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2013-10-03 at 09:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm more of a Furbolg fan than a High Elf fan. Furbolgs have more reasons to become playable, one of them being their numbers and their friendly relation with Night Elves.

They are physically different than Pandarens, they have more muscular body (as opposed to the round appearance of Pandarens) and they have a hunched figure in addition they are more feral and savage as opposed to Pandaren's calm and civilized appearance.

the addition of Furbolgs can grant Alliance another druid race (which makes it 3 in total) and an additional shaman race.

potential Furbolg tribes that can be playable are either Timbermaw Furbolgs or Barkskin Furbolgs who reside in Barrow Deeps (both areas are not currently in game), allthough there are also Stillpine, Blackwood, Thistlefur and Blackmaw tribes.

Furbolgs will add a much needed manpower to Kalimdor's Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    How many times must this argument be had?
    As many as it takes?

And think of the poor Blizzard devs! First the quest givers have to devise more stories for the elves despite the elves getting quite a bit of attention in MoP. This comes at the expense of two races currently within the Alliance who could do with a bit more lore, the Worgen and the Draenei.
    And the Gnomes. And the Dwarves really, because outside of a scenario and part of a novel they haven't been touched since early Wrath. Welcome to every Alliance race ever. The fact the High Elves get lore focus is the REASON they should be playable. You have it backwards.

Any High Elf story would be a more extreme rehash of the Blood elf arc, a dying people (to a factor of 10 with the High Elves) seeking their place in the world.
    Again, welcome to every Warcraft race ever... except maybe Orcs. This is a shallow argument.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

What's the point of high elves if they're the same as blood elves only with blue eyes? Is that really the best people can take instead of something more original and more interesting-looking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    As many as it takes?

And the Gnomes. And the Dwarves really, because outside of a scenario and part of a novel they haven't been touched since early Wrath. Welcome to every Alliance race ever. The fact the High Elves get lore focus is the REASON they should be playable. You have it backwards.

Again, welcome to every Warcraft race ever... except maybe Orcs. This is a shallow argument.
    And still the general argument of the pro high Elfers can be boiled down to "We think putting such a pretty race hordeside was a mistake Blizzard. Correct your mistake and give us the same race so we can be that pretty race and not have to play with mean orcs and ugly trolls."

That's not the be all and end all. There is other reasoning built on top of it. But that is it. The very base of the argument is that desire! What is more shallow than the selfishness of being willing to sacrifice a potential brand new race (and the development time to make a brand new High Elf player race would be almost as long as what could go into a brand new race. Or hell any sort of feature, talking quest design, zone construction, lore introductions...) just so that you can frolick around in the skin of a Horde race.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2013-10-03 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deshow View Post
    High elves are still very much part of the alliance and are hostile towards the traitouros blood elves.

The Blood Elves represent the High Elf civilization as they are former High elves and were the majority in favor for using fel magic and also joining the Horde.

The very few High Elves that refused to go by the rules imposed by Lor'themar and rules of Silvermoon are the traitors >.>

If Alleria comes back i couldn't care less if she was hostile towards the Blood Elves ,as she hasn't lifted 1 finger into helping them since forever while the High Elves ,now known as Blood Elves had a really tough time latetly. And if she ever comes back and wants to be part of the Sin'dorei then i hope she is prepared to take orders from Lor'themar ,because he is in charge.

If there is sea expansion, ogres and high elves would be quite fitting. I can see Stonemaul ogres building the ogre juggernauts for the Horde and High elves building the elven destroyers for the Alliance. It would be cool to see battlegrounds on ships, tropic islands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    If there is sea expansion, ogres and high elves would be quite fitting. I can see Stonemaul ogres building the ogre juggernauts for the Horde and High elves building the elven destroyers for the Alliance. It would be cool to see battlegrounds on ships, tropic islands.
    Both factions already have navies!?

Alliance Navy: Stormwind Navy. Night Elven Navy. Draenei Navy (I know they've SOME ships) Gnomish Submarines.

Horde Navy: Orc Navy. Blood Elf Navy (former High Elf Navy, basically that High Elf boat is now Horde). Forsaken Navy (retrofitted Lordaeron Navy). Goblin submarines.

15+ Year Old Account
    Both factions already have navies!?

Alliance Navy: Stormwind Navy. Night Elven Navy. Draenei Navy (I know they've SOME ships) Gnomish Submarines.

Horde Navy: Orc Navy. Blood Elf Navy (former High Elf Navy, basically that High Elf boat is now Horde). Forsaken Navy (retrofitted Lordaeron Navy). Goblin submarines.

Ogre Juggernauts can wreak havoc. the Horde navy is not that strong compared to Alliance Navy, and after SoO it's possible that the horde will find themselves in huge need of work labor. Ogres can fill that hole and build new Ogre Juggernauts, in addition if the next expansion is a sea expansion Alliance will likely get Kul'Tiras thus bolstering it's already powerful navy.

but no to High Elves. They're just not that numerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    Ogre Juggernauts can wreak havoc. the Horde navy is not that strong compared to Alliance Navy, and after SoO it's possible that the horde will find themselves in huge need of work labor. Ogres can fill that hole and build new Ogre Juggernauts, in addition if the next expansion is a sea expansion Alliance will likely get Kul'Tiras thus bolstering it's already powerful navy.

but no to High Elves. They're just not that numerous.
    You know, I've mentioned it before in other threads, but why not Ogres for the Alliance?

Everyone always pairs Ogres and High Elves as the still extant race from Warcraft. Now I disagree about the High Elves still being extant. The Blood Elves have 90% of the population, the land of Quel'thalas, Silvermoon city, the Sunwell and a leader who is actually a force in world affairs whereas the current High Elves have the name, a hovel in the Hinterlands and an office building in Dalaran.By any reasonable standard, in other words NOt the standards of those looking for an excuse to justify adding the same race again to the game, the High Elves are not extant. And they've defected to the Horde. It occurs to me that if the High Elves hadn't changed their name we mightn't be having this discussion.

So? Do the Alliance a favour and give them Ogres. The Ogres and the Orcs only had a brief alliance of a few years within the Horde and that came after centuries of warfare. Once the Old Horde collapsed the Ogres were pretty rapid in leaving it and Thrall wasn't in any hurry to bring them back, so there are plenty of Ogres tribes out there to build a narrative on to have them join the Alliance. As many have mentioned, if Blizzard wants to come up with a narrative to justify a race joining a faction, they can.

Why Ogres for the Alliance you may ask? They fulfil a niche, that of the big, stupendously strong race. And another niche they will fill is that of the defector. Imagine having an Alliance race that used to be a part of the Horde. Some good stories in there. They have a dark past. And, once remodelled, they will look pretty cool.

But Ogres are traditionally associated with the Horde. They should go Horde instead. Well the fact people say the High Elves are a traditional Alliance race hasn't made them playable (well they are, pro High Elfers think they are playable the wrong way). Think of it as payback for the Elves switching sides. The only playable Ogres will be Alliance. And what could Ogres bring to the Horde? We've got a big strong race in the Tauren. And, like it or not, the Ogres are a 'monstrous' race. The Horde currently has FOUR monstrous races (Orcs, trolls, forsaken, goblins). The Alliance has...none really. I group the Worgen, Tauren and Pandas as anthropomorphic rather than monstrous. The Belves, Humans, Nelves, Gnomes, Draenei and Dwarves are all clearly Humanoid. That's a big niche for the Ogres Alliance side.

But what about the Horde? There are the Stonemaul Ogres The Horde would deal. The Stonemaul are a small tribe under siege anyway. They could be like our High Elves in comparison. A small group of inconsequential Ogres that Pro-Ogre on the Horde fanatics can post endlessly about as they beg for the race to be made avaialble to the Horde also. They could form common cause with the pro-High Elves on the Alliance groupies.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2013-10-03 at 12:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    well Blizzard has shown it time to time that they do many stuff due to popular demand. I don't think the majority of playerbase support Ogres to be an Alliance race (for reasons you stated) let's just hope the pro-high-elf-lobby doesn't become the sound Blizzard listens to :3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    well Blizzard has shown it time to time that they do many stuff due to popular demand. I don't think the majority of playerbase support Ogres to be an Alliance race (for reasons you stated) let's just hope the pro-high-elf-lobby doesn't become the sound Blizzard listens to :3.
    To be fair the majority of the Horde playerbase isn't exactly screaming for playable Ogres either. But that's the race the pro High Elfers like to foist upon us when these threads open up. They get access to our most popular race, and we get ANOTHER monstrously ugly race.

I'm just pointing out that a strong case could be argued to give them Ogres instead, a long delyaed compensation for the Elves.