Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring View Post
    I don't understand why people care about this. You do 1M dps? So what? The mob is going to have 1M+ hp. Does it matter if it's 10, 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M ?
    6k crits look impacting. 6000

600k crits look kinda overkill. 600000

use Mik's Scrolling Combat Text. Tidy's it all up nicely. everythings rounded into K's (300K) and DoT's / auto's are stacked into multiples over about 5 seconds.. "<spellname> hit 200k (2 ticks)" for example. Its a really nice addon once you have set it all up how you want it.

I don't like ridiculuosly high number. 532 damage and crit for 1281 is more readable than 501452 and crit for 1241357.

Here's what I wonder: Why are you spending time reading the numbers when you should be focusing on killing whatever it is you're killing and surviving the things that it's throwing at you?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "If we don't do the item squish it's going to require a lot of re-engineering of our combat code to actually support bigger numbers. We're getting really close to the point where the code can't..."
    CS: "Yeah, the code can't compile the numbers"
    TC: "Yeah it can't compile the numbers, so we are testing the item squish internally with the expansion, and I think a good time to launch it would be right before the next expansion so people are already used to it by the time the expansion launches. So, that's the current plan, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can." (Source)
    Hell freaking yes! I've ben hoping for this for some time. It should help with balance and PvP issues as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    I don't like ridiculuosly high number. 532 damage and crit for 1281 is more readable than 501452 and crit for 1241357.
    But is 532 and 1281 more readable than 501k and 1.24M?

Furthermore, WHY are you bothering to read the numbers during combat? If you want to see numbers, check the log after the fight instead of focusing on numbers and ending up standing in fire.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2013-11-08 at 05:22 PM.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    Or you can wait till they do the squish, it's sure to bring back subscribers
    I highly doubt there will be a Squish. All old content will need to be retuned. It will take ALLOT of time and people. If they do that, I would be more angry at the waste of resources than the high numbers. The only way they could of prevented it is if they noticed and did something earlier its just a part of wow now.

If we get lumbered with 5.4 for a year, the item squish is going to be 99.9% of the reason. I bet half the people begging for a squish will be the first to rage that we are stuck with no content for so long too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    As long as our relative power stays the same compared to older content, I don't care if we get the squish or not. Solo'ing has become a mini-game of it's own within WoW, and if when the expansion hits it's not possible to solo some of the stuff that we can now, that'd be really shitty.
    It would all be relative when they do this, and would be pretty bad if it wasn't.... so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    I highly doubt there will be a Squish. All old content will need to be retuned. It will take ALLOT of time and people. If they do that, I would be more angry at the waste of resources than the high numbers. The only way they could of prevented it is if they noticed and did something earlier its just a part of wow now.
    You can highly doubt it all you want, but they've pretty much confirmed that it's coming -- likely with the coming expansion.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Why do we need this topic again? People know that "item squish" will also lead to "subscriptions squish" and "playerbase's average IQ squish", with both of those already seeing decline?
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Lich King: Health (25-player Heroic): 103,151,168 Wrath
    Ultraxion: Health (25-player Heroic): 276,314,560 Cata

Sha of pride: Health (25-player Heroic): 1,850,385,280. That is in the billions. Do you see the massive jump?
    Thok: Health (25-player Heroic): 1,919,002,752

If those numbers increase even by less than 50%, which is going to happen, every expansion jump basically doubles ilevels, then the game will break.
    I can use wowhead too. And from personal experience back in those times I remember that Ultraxion was very short fight, meanwhile Lich King would last upto 15 minutes. If length of Ultraxion's fight would be same as LK's fight, Ultaxion would have around 600 mil HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhalerius View Post
    Boom, there goes Item Squishing.
    It's needless and makes you feel weak, the last expansion you were doing 50k now you're getting lucky with 3k?
    Wow that's progress right there let me tell you.
    All the shit we've done, how many times we've saved the world, and you want to make us weaker? That's just stupid.
    How do you people not understand this? Everything is scaled down. It makes it much more manageable and fantastic to look at. Recount meters don't look ridiculous. You are not getting weaker in any way whatsoever. People against the item squish need to get over themselves. It is one of the most needed things in the game right now to keep it running for multiple years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    But is 532 and 1281 more readable than 501k and 1.24M?

Furthermore, WHY are you bothering to read the numbers during combat? If you want to see numbers, check the log after the fight instead of focusing on numbers and ending up standing in fire.
    I personally like to see the exact # I'm dealing. Maybe I'm a bit anal, but I'm the kind of person that has the exact range turned on because the longer tool tip doesn't bother me as long as I know why it's longer and why my damage numbers vary. I like to deal with an exact amount not a rounded off chopped up variation.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Then quit. Leave. Blizzard does not owe you your big numbers.
    There are actual software constraints for the squish.
    "No U GO."
    Solid retort.

You're the one asking them to change the system, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakalager View Post
    How do you people not understand this? Everything is scaled down. It makes it much more manageable and fantastic to look at. Recount meters don't look ridiculous. You are not getting weaker in any way whatsoever. People against the item squish need to get over themselves. It is one of the most needed things in the game right now to keep it running for multiple years.
    YOU thinks it's better to look at, and because of that reason, YOU think it's necessary.
    From a computing standpoint, it's already been rebutted that we don't NEED item squishes, because the game can run fine with the digits we're dishing out, when we start having problems, fine, that isn't yet.
    It comes down to what you want, and because you don't personally like the look of big numbers, a meaningless aesthetic change that half of the players would disagree with, and even more would flat out not give a fuck about?
    Cry more.
    Last edited by Vhalerius; 2013-11-08 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Big #s are fine as long as it all remains proportional. Raid bosses are still dying in an appropriate amount of time, so it's fine.

The problem is, player power got out of control this expansion. I was doing a heroic earlier this week and I was basically tanking as Fury, and had three other well geared DPS. We were killing bosses within 10-15 seconds. Yes we were vastly overgeared(I'm I lvl 563)but even in past expansions, heroics were never steamrolled this much even with end tier gear.

wtolk heroics says hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "If we don't do the item squish it's going to require a lot of re-engineering of our combat code to actually support bigger numbers. We're getting really close to the point where the code can't..."
    CS: "Yeah, the code can't compile the numbers"
    TC: "Yeah it can't compile the numbers, so we are testing the item squish internally with the expansion, and I think a good time to launch it would be right before the next expansion so people are already used to it by the time the expansion launches. So, that's the current plan, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can." (Source)
    "No U GO."
    Solid retort.

You're the one asking them to change the system, not me.

YOU thinks it's better to look at, and because of that reason, YOU think it's necessary.
    From a computing standpoint, it's already been rebutted that we don't NEED item squishes, because the game can run fine with the digits we're dishing out, when we start having problems, fine, that isn't yet.
    It comes down to what you want, and because you don't personally like the look of big numbers, a meaningless aesthetic change that half of the players would disagree with, and even more would flat out not give a fuck about?
    Cry more.
    Any other questions?

Drop the ego and accept that we are at the limitations of the current game engine and without a complete re-write we're bumping the limits. THIS IS NEEDED

From a computing standpoint, it's already been rebutted that we don't NEED item squishes, because the game can run fine with the digits we're dishing out, when we start having problems, fine, that isn't yet..
    Uhh yes we have problems right now. The reason H Thok (I think) and Garrosh heal themselves is because 32 bit integers only go up to ~2.1 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie01 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just throwing this in there.

What's up with the uber-big damage numbers in WoW these days?
    I mean, my Obliterate crits for like 300.000 damage, I hardly have time to read the whole number in the time it shows.
    Not even starting about the healthpools of the players and especially bosses!

With the upcoming expansion the level cap will probably be increased to 95 or even 100.
    I can only imagine the numbers going up to 800.000 damage to maybe over a million! Thats 1.000.000!

While I can somehow imagine it being satisfying, I would love to see the 'vanilla-numbers' back! 2.500 crits!
    When the tanks had 10k hp, and it was much!

I'm not sure this would even be technically achievable with the current state of the game, all npcs/creatures/players and spells/items would have to get their damage and HP lowered by a percentage, and possibly other stats would have to be altered as well.

But it would sure be cool in my opinion!
    With every new expansion the healthpools and damages increase by that much, the numbers are just insane. And it gets worse every expansion.

Just my 2 cents
    I would love to hear what you guys think!
    with this rate next expansion is more like 10.000.000 dmg as an arcane mage i crit 1mill+ very often and 400kish hits is low hits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    no to item squish, if you can´t handle big numbers then you should maybe revisit some math class for 10year olds.
    Nothing to do with that. It's just easier to look at combat log and see 125 damage done and 77 healing received than 28392232983928 damage and 72837283728 healing.

I'm all for the squish.

Not to bash you or anything, but people in normal gear already crit for over a million. At the start of a fight it's not unusual to see a DW DK do 700k + Howling Blast crits with procs+pot up. On my Mage I'm hitting, not critting for 700k with Arcane Barrage with only one trinket+Lightweave+Jade Spirit. Have switched from Arcane since then and can only imagine numbers are closing in on a million there as well. And of course Chaos Bolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Any other questions?

Drop the ego and accept that we are at the limitations of the current game engine and without a complete re-write we're bumping the limits. THIS IS NEEDED
    Can I get fries with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    Uhh yes we have problems right now. The reason H Thok (I think) and Garrosh heal themselves is because 32 bit integers only go up to ~2.1 billion.
    Lol don't care, make them heal themselves fast and then only people with half decent PC's and not shit-heaps make of hopes and dreams will play WoW.

I'd rather they re-do the combat code than an item squish, it's time for a graphical overhaul anyway.
    No need to throw out 4 X-Pac's of growth.