10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    If you like the game, then why would you NOT watch the 2 best teams take on eachother in a win all, loose all game? It should bring out the best performances from people, and bring the most drama, with this much on the line.

I could understand if you lost to either team somewhere along the way that you wouldn't want to watch, but that's not me. Rooting against the Broncos though, for what it's worth.
    I dunno, if the Seahawks lost the NFCCG I would of watched the puppy bowl instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    Am not trolling but how come so many people care about the super bowl when their teams aren't involved? I have never understood that about the NFL. Seems like people literally watch every game. Is it just because there are't very many? If you are a fan of like the Chiefs or the Dolphins, how are you invested in the game at all? I feel this is something exclusive to football, don't feel it is the case with MLB, NBA, or NHL. I rarely watch other baseball games unless its very late in the season and could effect my team.
    I think it's weirder to only care about your team over the sport as a whole. Like how people are diehard Raiders fans but barely ever watch or follow football.

Am not trolling but how come so many people care about the super bowl when their teams aren't involved? I have never understood that about the NFL. Seems like people literally watch every game. Is it just because there are't very many? If you are a fan of like the Chiefs or the Dolphins, how are you invested in the game at all? I feel this is something exclusive to football, don't feel it is the case with MLB, NBA, or NHL. I rarely watch other baseball games unless its very late in the season and could effect my team.
    There's 2 reasons IMO: 1. As you said much fewer games and the majority of them matter.

2. Football as a sport is a bit better for tv than baseball. Not saying its a better sport, but that baseball just doesn't translate as well to tv. Everything about football is made for tv seemingly in the flow of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

A 3rd reason: because its one and done in the NFL playoffs, its by far better suited to having parties than any other sport who need to do best of 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why you wouldn't care, if you're truly a fan of the game and not just rooting for a team because its your city or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    There's 2 reasons IMO: 1. As you said much fewer games and the majority of them matter.

2. Football as a sport is a bit better for tv than baseball. Not saying its a better sport, but that baseball just doesn't translate as well to tv. Everything about football is made for tv seemingly in the flow of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

A 3rd reason: because its one and done in the NFL playoffs, its by far better suited to having parties than any other sport who need to do best of 7.
    For me there's a 4th rather important reason. I watch to see players in action. In the NFL you NEVER know who's going to be on your roster next week. Strict caps, injuries, crazy trades and free agent signings. Before you know it someone you saw play on another team is suddenly on your team, and you now have a vested interest in them and would love to know what you can expect from them. Helps tremendously if you saw them play before they got on your team.

I remember following Blounts career since he had that incident in college where he punched a guy. I always read news about him when I saw his name pop up. And in the end I was glad, cause he ended up on the Patriots. To me that kind of confirms that I do the best for my enjoyment of the game by keeping track of what goes on with pretty much all players and teams, and not just my own. You never know when that guy is suddenly expected to play a big role on your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, especially in regards to the TV thing. There is such a ridiculous amount of cameras at every game, you can always tell what's going on while it's happening, and then there is the replays of all the great plays from several different angles..none of which you really get to see if you're actually there.

Plus, it's definitely more of a team sport than any other sport. If someone doesn't do their job right or forgets their route, you fuck over the other 10 guys on the field or at the very least make it harder for them to make plays. That, and there is essentially an infinite number of plays/strategies. And when a good play is made, absolutely everyone on the team helped make it, it's not a one-man sport. If you're a fan of football, it's just hard to not get into a good, evenly matched game because of this, and the Superbowl is generally against two of the very best teams. And as such, it's unpredictable. Even when the experts are correct in picking which team will win, they are more often than not very wrong about how and/or about the final score.

Lastly, I feel each team is a bit more unique than in any other sport. Some are known for great defense, others for having a great QB with a high-scoring offense, others with a great running game, others that lose the last game of the year every year to a team in their own division in which a win would have sent them to the playoffs and many more somewhere in-between. There just isn't any other sport I can think of that has that kind of depth.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2014-01-30 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I started watching football for real, which was only a few years ago, my local team was shit, wait teams were shit because there are two of them, one is still shit, sigh... So for me it never really was about rooting for one team and becoming invested in them and all that fan nonsense of being a part of it.

I genuinely enjoy watching the game, almost every play is dynamic and instead of just being one pitcher and one hitter, its lineman on lineman, corner back on WR, QB vs the Blitz... there always so much going on, so much to see, and NFL films has really done an amazing job translating that to Television. Watching that ball fly through the air, then get caught by a guy not even looking in its direction, with 1 hand, and then he spins around to tap 2 feet inbound before rolling out. They get the right angles on that action, and its just fantastic, and makes the little back and forth kicking of soccer, or the every 30s score of Basketball look pathetic in comparison.

Oh which is another reason Football is simply better. Baseball and Soccer are just too slow.

The Giants have won the World Series twice in the last few years, and I watch some of their games, but I was crazy bored watching it. Guy comes up, he swings, and he misses, and misses, and misses, and if actually manages to hit the ball more then a 3rd of the time, he's a superstar.

I tried watching some of the English Soccer games NBC broadcasts in the mornings, but I just found it digusting, it was literally an hour of guys kicking a ball back and forth and missing the goal, then finally they get 1 goal, then 30min of play later the other team got a goal, and it ended with a tie, and THE FANS WERE CELEBRATING, A TIE, what kind of bullshit is that. No one won, you lost!

Or basketball, which is the exact opposite where it can seem like they just run down the court make the shot then other team does it, and who wins is whoever can run down the court faster.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    When I started watching football for real, which was only a few years ago, my local team was shit, wait teams were shit because there are two of them, one is still shit, sigh...
    you have two local teams, its a goddamn tragedy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It is when one of thems the Raiders, TAKE THEM BACK!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was kind of good to grow up in Alabama, where there wasn't really a thing like local teams. I got to basically pick whoever I wanted. In every professional sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It was kind of good to grow up in Alabama, where there wasn't really a thing like local teams. I got to basically pick whoever I wanted. In every professional sport.
    and never see any of them live

10+ Year Old Account
    Oakland already took them back

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    and never see any of them live
    exactly

I've never been to an NFL game and I've only been to one college game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Drew Brees was on the Colbert Report. It is worth the watch I think. I am surprised on how many NYers like Drew Brees.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Drew Brees was on the Colbert Report. It is worth the watch I think. I am surprised on how many NYers like Drew Brees.
    NY QBs threw over 50 INTs this year, they're just happy any time they see a real QB, I imagine.

NY QBs threw over 50 INTs this year, they're just happy any time they see a real QB, I imagine.
    LoL, good point. Anyways, there isn't much not to like about Drew Brees...he's a good player and he's not really full of himself. He seems like a pretty down-to-Earth guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its CBS. Not really surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny because I grew up in the Bay Area and lived there for 21 years of my life and almost NONE of my friends watched the Niners for all the years that they sucked, then Jim Harbaugh comes in and they have a few good seasons and everyone is claiming to be a hardcore fan. I'd bet most of them can't name any players on the team other than any of the big names, either.

I'm not saying that Niner fans are fake. Hell, this happens to every team when they get good, "fans" come out of the woodwork and jump on the bandwagon. It's just particularly annoying for me since I grew up a Packers fan living in the Bay Area (my parents are from Green Bay). All of my friends feel the need to gloat whenever the Niners beat us, and I won't deny that they've had our number the past few years and that they're a really good team, but I know for a fact most of them are bandwagoners.

I also can't seem to recall a time when both Bay Area teams have been doing well. It seems like only one of them does well at a time, or they both just plain suck. The Giants and the Warriors have been doing well the past few years though, but I just don't feel any inclination to cheer for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    I think it's weirder to only care about your team over the sport as a whole. Like how people are diehard Raiders fans but barely ever watch or follow football.
    A co-worked of mine says he's a Raider fan. He asked me earlier this season "So, who's Denver playing this week?" I told him, "The Raiders". "Oh."

He also didn't know the Raiders finished 4-12.

- - - Updated - - -

One of those NY QBs has 1 more Super Bowl ring than Brees. Even if he does look like the mentally challenged Manning brother.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought there was only 1 team in Alabama that mattered.
    Last edited by notorious98; 2014-02-01 at 05:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everywhere around here is sold out of Skittles. The great Skittles shortage of 2014.