Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

"We have nothing to do!"

Yep, We have nothing to do. And this is what most ppl wanted this game to become.

Lets check past what we had.
    -You had to lvl your weapon skills.
    -You had to go to trainer to learn new skills.
    -You had to actualy drink to fill your mana pool time to time. (yes manabar actualy did matter)
    -You had to buy your ammos, arrows/you had to make the poisons for your weapons.
    -mobs 1-2lvl above you took time to kill. and a pack of those did kill you.
    -You had to communicate(ask help) with ppl to continue on some quests.
    -You had to communicate and make plans even on the lowest lvl dungeons to finish them. "sap purple, sheep blue etc.."
    -no teleportals on every corner
    -Lvling took time!!
    -Character progression
    -attunements
    -items took time to get and you got that rewarding feeling, you actualy felt a joy about new weapons, armors etc. Now when you get new stuff it feels like nothing. Imo EPICS should take time to get and even blues should need some short of effort. But its all meaningles now and its sad.
    I could go on and on but you get my point.

I know you will say "but all those things were just pointles, time consuming, stupid".

But imo these little things are GOOD for the game. These things made the game feel like a journey. These things made the game feel REWARDING. The feeling of achieving something is long gone and thats really sad. Theres nothing that drives you forward. Ppl used to have always something to do. But that time is long gone.

And this.
    "but i can play only 1 hour per day. I dont want to go buy ammos and waste my time on that!" Well if you dont have time to play and you complain that you cant rush to the end and get all shiny epics right away. MAYBE MMORPG IS NOT A GAME FOR YOU. Have you think about that? (sry little rant in the end)

What are your thoughts about this?

I don't agree with everything you said, but yes - much was sacrificed in the name of convenience and balance, and I don't think the gains were worth it. Especially when it comes to the things that "had to go" because of balance issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepra View Post
    -You had to actualy drink to fill your mana pool time to time. (yes manabar actualy did matter)
    -You had to buy your ammos, arrows/you had to make the poisons for your weapons.
    -You had to communicate and make plans even on the lowest lvl dungeons to finish them. "sap purple, sheep blue etc.."
    -Lvling took time!!
    -Character progression
    -attunements
    -items took time to get and you got that rewarding feeling, you actualy felt a joy about new weapons, armors etc. Now when you get new stuff it feels like nothing. Imo EPICS should take time to get and even blues should need some short of effort. But its all meaningles now and its sad.
    I could go on and on but you get my point.
    All this was horrible. And I have been playing since Vanilla.
    It might look fun, but it totally isnt. Who wants to level for more than 72 hours? Yes there were people that did it way faster, but thats a small %.

The game isnt all that good now thought, but I would never want the vanilla times back it was just horrible.
    Only 1 viable spec per class. Itemazation was shit. and loads of more crap xD

Your list is just a bunch of quality of life changes. The real problem is that there is a total lack of content since launch.

Yes lets devolve this game into something todays demographic doesn't want, really the vanilla and tbc style gameplay was good at its time since every other mmo was far more grindy and hardcore, so WoW was a nice casual game back then. The thing is the demographic have changed towards not wanting everything to be a time-consuming slog.

Quote Originally Posted by Youwow View Post
    It might look fun, but it totally isnt. Who wants to level for more than 72 hours? Yes there were people that did it way faster, but thats a small %.

The game isnt all that good now thought, but I would never want the vanilla times back it was just horrible.
    I'd have vanilla or preferably TBC back in a heartbeat. I agree with your points about itemization and spec viability though, those were awful in the old game.

Quote Originally Posted by dools View Post
    I'd have vanilla or preferably TBC back in a heartbeat. I agree with your points about itemization and spec viability though, those were awful in the old game.
    I'm not so sure. I think I preferred old itemization, chiefly because items were interesting and had character - they were hand-crafted and the stats were manually assigned instead of generated by a script according to a formula. There were many items with procs and equip effects, items that were situationally useful and items that were only useful for a certain kind of spec. Yes, many items had poor stats (hp5!) but that was more an issue of them not knowing how their own game worked than the itemization system being bad. One of my main reasons for quitting raiding was that loot became so boring both in universal stats distribution and in terms of looks.

Deleted
    I didnt say change the game JUST like vanilla was. Ofc 1 viable spec is horrible thing. But that could be done differently.

While I don't miss pointless stuff like drinking to get mana, I agree that some points on your list were removed for the worse. They might seem like not a big deal or just a small inconvenience but these things made you leave the capitals and gave opportunity for the stories to happen that we now remember so fondly. I can still remember my cousin carry me through BRD, navigating me how I had to jump for the shortcuts. Or hunts for a 5 lvl higher elite quest mob that resulted in a PVP fight between 2 5 man groups.

These simple things helped grow a community. Now I can level in isolation, run dungeons without saying a word, be an ass without any consequences and hop straight into a raid and have to neither talk to the people nor know the mechanics.

The problem is that it went on for too long. The people that enjoyed the game as it was are long gone. Those who are left enjoy getting everything handed to them or are just addicted enough to stick around even though they don't enjoy the game anymore.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2015-05-28 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They took out tedious stuff like weapons grinding, touring back and forth to trainers for spells, while leveling for, Cool Battle Pets, Game Achievements, and Social Networking themes like Battle Net, and ties into things like twitter to share with friends, and Garrisons.

I think we gained lots of great things to do, and lost a lot of stupid things. I don't think that's a problem.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Here is a wild idea ....

Make something interesting to do at max level or on the road to max level that is not raiding not simply making it take longer to get from point A to point B

While i agree that some things did not have to get removed like ammo or feeding your pet this was never and will never be the main reason to log into the game.

Turn it the other way a bit, lets say you play WoW or any other MMO for that matter 16 hours a week when that week is over and no matter how well you played that be PvE or PvP the chance are you have improved yourself a few stats numbers and thats it nothing else.

You have changed nothing in the world and the story there is still the same, just waiting for you to do the SAME THING next week. you as a player change nothing beside the numbers you have gets a bit closer to the max.

The main issue with all MMO's is that the player have 0 impact on the game world, this is what make people bored after years of playing, one of the only times WoW really felt alive was the opening of AQ and the material race / gathering leading up to it, here every goddamn peacebloom or fish you handed in counted towards something even if it was very little it was something.

TL : DR : it has nothing to do with how long it takes to get from A to B it is all about players feel they make a difference.
    Last edited by Drungan; 2015-05-28 at 09:30 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know you will say "but all those things were just pointles, time consuming, stupid".
    What are your thoughts about this?
    Tedium != "things to do".

Tedium is simply wasting someone else's time for them.

Plenty of tedious tasks can be found in one's garrison. Changing where we go to find tedious tasks won't make the game more fun...
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

wildstar has all of those things and it sucks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I don't agree with everything you said, but yes - much was sacrificed in the name of convenience and balance, and I don't think the gains were worth it. Especially when it comes to the things that "had to go" because of balance issues.
    Indeed.

But it's just that there is no "out world" content. Everything you need in terms of what you farmed via gathering or went out for (daily quests) have been completely killed off..

Besides raids there is no point to go out in the world, in terms of current content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    wildstar has all of those things and it sucks
    I only got to play that during beta. Never managed to play on live. Why did it die so quickly? I honestly enjoyed the game when I played it.

Deleted
    Nope, you do not speak for the majority. I found those things fun and my first character (in vanilla) took 6 months to level and that was my best ever gaming experience.

Deleted
    Well... there are things I definitely don't miss. And I also play since Vanilla, missed the trophy by half a year.

I could be doing Archaeology, but without flying it's PITA. I could be fishing, which always has been one of my favorite activities, but the stupid requirements to unlock level 3 of the fishing shack just burnt me out. I probably will be fishing later to get Nat Pagle to exalted, but cannot bear to do it at the moment. Crafting professions would also be a favorite of mine, but... with the harsh limit to the number of equipped items it's very pointless and also very sad, because the sets look very fine.

The only things left for me to do are alts and mount/transmog farming, combined with pet battles from the menagerie. I don't even have the motivation for PG or Brawler's Guild, which would have been activities quite fitting for me. But well... I don't have any storage room for the shirts and PG offers nothing besides rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets check past what we had.
    -Lvling took time!!
    -Character progression
    -attunements
    -items took time to get and you got that rewarding feeling, you actualy felt a joy about new weapons, armors etc.
    Oh yeah, CLEARLY this game needs MORE mindless GRIND (level weapons ROFL, I did the achi at the time and it was afk hitting a godmode mob in Blasted lands) and MORE TIMESINKS.
    You should work for Blizzard. Your mindset would fit right in with the new WoD crew.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Penegal View Post
    I only got to play that during beta. Never managed to play on live. Why did it die so quickly? I honestly enjoyed the game when I played it.
    Because catering to the 1-2% and giving everyone else 2004 esque grind doesn't work nowadays anymore. Expectations have changed.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

72 hours? Are you sure you've been playing since Vanilla? The average /played time 1-60 was 20 days. Hell, the speed record prior to heirlooms and the RAF bonus was 5 days /played.

I don't want to go back to that. The current leveling is an order of magnitude too fast, true, but it's one order of magnitude too quick...not two orders.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".