Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wow 2.0 happened in cataclysm. If anything, we need to go back in wow 1.0
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Wow 2.0 happened in cataclysm. If anything, we need to go back in wow 1.0
    How was cataclysm wow 2.0? it was a revamp of vanilla zones and completely ruined most of the classic zones and fucked up just about everything else including introducing ease of access features like LFR that has killed the guild and social aspect of the game.

The game was improving with each expansion up until Wotlk, Ever since cataclysm wow has been on a slow and steady decline. both in sub numbers and content.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2015-06-24 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    The game was improving with each expansion up until Wotlk, Ever since cataclysm wow has been on a slow and steady decline. both in sub numbers and content.
    And at that point the game (architecture, systems, design, methodology etc) were roughly 10 years old.
    The huge success of it all turns into a business risk quite quickly at that point. Dealing with 10 years of legacy designs and technical debt. The game went into "preserve and maintain" mode (business-wise) while new projects for new franchises were started in order to transition some of that momentum into other things before it was too late.

Blizzard as a company has been growing, expanding and excelling over the whole period.
    The franchise roadmap for WoW can not be drawn on infinite sustained growth, no matter how much we fans think it should be.
    Last edited by mmocdd602b3b80; 2015-06-24 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    And at that point the game (architecture, systems, design, methodology etc) were roughly 10 years old.
    The huge success of it all turns into a business risk quite quickly at that point. Dealing with 10 years of legacy designs and technical debt. The game went into "preserve and maintain" mode (business-wise) while new projects for new franchises were started in order to transition some of that momentum into other things before it was too late.

Blizzard as a company has been growing, expanding and excelling over the whole period.
    The franchise roadmap for WoW can not be drawn on infinite sustained growth, no matter how much we fans think it should be.
    I feel that the discussion is sort of taking a wierd turn right now. I don't feel that we need to debate whether or not Cataclysm was the right move, it happened and that's pretty much it. I didn't particularly like the expansion but that isn't really here nor there, it was Blizzards decision, they thought it be best and we have live with that and trust in their ability to decide their game and company's direction.

The fact of the matter is, WoW is a great game, it has had a great life, many great expansions and it keeps trucking on for god knows how long. I feel that progression servers are a great way to introduce classic, just plain-old-fun, content again. I'm certain that if they would do that they would see a bump in subscription numbers; how large of a bump? Probably not in the millions, but in the tens of thousands without the shadow of a doubt, perhaps even more than that.

A lot of people seem to be taking offensive to the idea, which I don't understand. The only way Blizzard would ever do it would be if they could do so without impacting WoW-live and its development and still run a profit from the whole ordeal. So, what's the crying and all the fuzz about? WoW-live isn't going anywhere, so stop acting so defensively. (Talking of people in general, not necessarily of anyone in particular.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neba
    *upon Arthas death*
    "Well done! But your Frostmourne is in another castle."
    *hurls Frostmourne over the horizon to the next expansion*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Loffemega View Post
    I feel that the discussion is sort of taking a wierd turn right now. I don't feel that we need to debate whether or not Cataclysm was the right move, it happened and that's pretty much it. I didn't particularly like the expansion but that isn't really here nor there, it was Blizzards decision, they thought it be best and we have live with that and trust in their ability to decide their game and company's direction.

The fact of the matter is, WoW is a great game, it has had a great life, many great expansions and it keeps trucking on for god knows how long. I feel that progression servers are a great way to introduce classic, just plain-old-fun, content again. I'm certain that if they would do that they would see a bump in subscription numbers; how large of a bump? Probably not in the millions, but in the tens of thousands without the shadow of a doubt, perhaps even more than that.

A lot of people seem to be taking offensive to the idea, which I don't understand. The only way Blizzard would ever do it would be if they could do so without impacting WoW-live and its development and still run a profit from the whole ordeal. So, what's the crying and all the fuzz about? WoW-live isn't going anywhere, so stop acting so defensively. (Talking of people in general, not necessarily of anyone in particular.)
    I agree. I don't seem to understand why players are taking offence to the idea of having Legacy servers with progression, with another expansion, could be another disaster for them. and if its it's anything to go by these last few ones starting at cataclysm are a disgrace to the game and should never have been made, meanwhile vanilla through wotlk where the best times in wow and i don't understand why people do not want to go back in time to better days?

I mean it's not as if they will lose all there shiny mounts and achievements on the original level 100 realms.

Legacy realms would be a choice, not forced upon anyone but i can almost guarantee most of the playerbase will try them and enjoy them, a lot more so than the live realms and the state the game is in, they will wonder why they where never implemented in the first place.

But it's pointless talking about it on a forum I doubt blizzard even looks at so the only way that this could become a reality is if a large number of players actively petition for it, It is one of the most asked for features in wow for a long time and i think they should at least give it a try.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2015-06-24 at 11:49 AM.

Deleted

Not offensive, personally I wouldn't mind at all - just don't see the business case for them. Costs outweigh benefits - which is what I tried to illustrate with my post as well - WoW is not really in that part of its product life-cycle anymore. 10k people on private server is cool and all, but it can hardly be justified as a ROI template for people who would release funds for such project.

Deleted
    I agree. I don't seem to understand why players are taking offence to the idea of having Legacy servers with progression, with another expansion, could be another disaster for them. and if its it's anything to go by these last few ones starting at cataclysm are a disgrace to the game and should never have been made, meanwhile vanilla through wotlk where the best times in wow and i don't understand why people do not want to go back in time to better days?
    This was actually answered by Blizzard already. They said that even though they hear this request from time to time, and they believe that if they make such servers many players will try them, they think most of the players will quickly get bored and leave them. And to make such an effort is not worth it as a result.

And really... i think that as well. As much as i hold WotLK times dear and i remember the great time i had back then, i can't force myself through the same experience over again. I know all the leveling zones like my 5 right-hand fingers (due to leveling alts). Half of the endgame as well (soloing dungeons and raids for vanity items).

So what would be the experience to me?
    Create a character, slow-level it to 68, jump in Northrend.
    Do the same quests i did 100 times - alright, i'm aiming to endgame content, will endure it.
    Hit 80, start doing endgame. Daily quests - heck, i already done this 100 times, but OK. Lvl 80 dungeons - shit, i know every rock and stone in them. Starting to get boring. Grind through tournament - damn, what i am doing that for? Rep doesn't give me the items i can get from raids. Scrap it, start raiding.
    Now here i have some fun with some of the tiers i haven't soloed. First and second time. Then it is already boring. And what's the purpose? Ah, i remember - we gotta kill Arthas. Okay, with every raid tier unlocked it shouldn't take long to gear up and defeat the bastard. Then what? Mmmm, like nothing. Hang around until next expansion.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    This was actually answered by Blizzard already. They said that even though they hear this request from time to time, and they believe that if they make such servers many players will try them, they think most of the players will quickly get bored and leave them. And to make such an effort is not worth it as a result.

And really... i think that as well. As much as i hold WotLK times dear and i remember the great time i had back then, i can't force myself through the same experience over again. I know all the leveling zones like my 5 right-hand fingers (due to leveling alts). Half of the endgame as well (soloing dungeons and raids for vanity items).

So what would be the experience to me?
    Create a character, slow-level it to 68, jump in Northrend.
    Do the same quests i did 100 times - alright, i'm aiming to endgame content, will endure it.
    Hit 80, start doing endgame. Daily quests - heck, i already done this 100 times, but OK. Lvl 80 dungeons - shit, i know every rock and stone in them. Starting to get boring. Grind through tournament - damn, what i am doing that for? Rep doesn't give me the items i can get from raids. Scrap it, start raiding.
    Now here i have some fun with some of the tiers i haven't soloed. First and second time. Then it is already boring. And what's the purpose? Ah, i remember - we gotta kill Arthas. Okay, with every raid tier unlocked it shouldn't take long to gear up and defeat the bastard. Then what? Mmmm, like nothing. Hang around until next expansion.
    Wait, what?
    Even though I hear your point and I agree that its indeed a somewhat likely scenario for many players, you just described every game in essence really. Whats the point of playing any game, because at some point you're going to have completed everything. Whats the point of playing in WoD, or <insert any other title, not exclusively MMOs> Witcher 3, Fallout 4; At one point you're going to finish the game and then what, whats the purpose?

I'll tell you, the purpose is the journey; the experience, the social interraction, the struggles, the downfalls, the excitement of doing this, there and that. If you only look at the "start" and the "finish", there isn't much point to anything really. So that is a pretty restrictive way to look at a game, not just WoW, but any game at all.

Occasionally I would resub to WoW, roughly one month every 1-2 years or so. Often with a friend of mine, what we enjoyed most was leveling alts. I believe I have somewhere around 5 or 6 paladins above level 60, because I've always loved leveling them. The point of doing that? Not much besides the most important thing of any game; having fun.
    *upon Arthas death*

Deleted
    Oh man yeah, playing a game that I have already played...again just slightly different, rather than playing new stuff sounds like a totally brilliant idea!
    Also thanks for the new and original idea of a WoW 2.0. Fresh ideas and theories are always interesting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakkiran View Post
    Oh man yeah, playing a game that I have already played...again just slightly different, rather than playing new stuff sounds like a totally brilliant idea!
    Also thanks for the new and original idea of a WoW 2.0. Fresh ideas and theories are always interesting to read.
    Yea, naming the thread WoW 2.0 is just a bad idea in general. Slightly misleading and quite unoriginal when it comes down to it.
    *upon Arthas death*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Yeah, ok. Either way, a few thousand =/= massive success. Just means there's a few thousand too cheap to pay to play.
    to cheap to pay and play? I play on one of the big vanilla private servers and trust me, if blizzard released a vanilla server I would gladly pay up to 30Euro per month to play on it.
    But there is no official blizz vanilla server so how should people be able to "Pay to play" ?
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't even bring myself to sub to the game again because i cant stand the current state the game is in and i'm sure that's how many players feel and that is why they are unsubbed, they are lurking in the shadows waiting for WoW to be what it once was or a major announcment, but all hope is fading fast, especially with the lackluster 6.2 patch that will provide a maximum of 1 weeks content and people will unsub again.
    A second WoW won't change things. Update the graphics engine and you have it. They would use the same philosophy they are using currently using.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Even though I hear your point and I agree that its indeed a somewhat likely scenario for many players, you just described every game in essence really. Whats the point of playing any game, because at some point you're going to have completed everything. Whats the point of playing in WoD, or <insert any other title, not exclusively MMOs> Witcher 3, Fallout 4; At one point you're going to finish the game and then what, whats the purpose?

I'll tell you, the purpose is the journey; the experience, the social interraction, the struggles, the downfalls, the excitement of doing this, there and that. If you only look at the "start" and the "finish", there isn't much point to anything really. So that is a pretty restrictive way to look at a game, not just WoW, but any game at all.
    You've hit the mark. Yes, its the journey. Every new expansion provides you with just that - a journey to the unknown. At least it's meant to be this way, although internet killed every bit and piece of the mistery. You get all raid encounters in a glance weeks before they get live, you know what gear you will be trying to obtain and how to get it in the most efficient way. Everything in a nice clean spreadsheet. Which takes so much from the game, i can't even describe it properly. It just kills the excitement of the journey and exploration and turns it into a checklist.

However, new expansions are fighting to retain at least a fraction of the thrill by providing you with parts of the story and progression during long period of time. That provides for illusionary feeling of a journey into the unknown, of unveiling secrets.
    But if you have the whole game unlocked right at the beginning (moreso when you already know the story)... just wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    to cheap to pay and play? I play on one of the big vanilla private servers and trust me, if blizzard released a vanilla server I would gladly pay up to 30Euro per month to play on it.
    But there is no official blizz vanilla server so how should people be able to "Pay to play" ?
    Right there with ya, I'd gladly pay for such a service and I know there are many, many other out there who would too. Enough to ensure Blizzard would make a profit of? I'd like to hope so but obviously no one knows. I wish Blizzard were more open to the idea, rather than just blurting out that "everyone would most likely quit after a short period of time" and then be done with the discussion.
    *upon Arthas death*

Agree 1000000000000000000000% WoW 2.0 needs to happen. Restart with a new game engine and story

Deleted
    You might want to heed a piece of hellscream advice: TIMES CHANGE.

I'd like a WoW 2.0, but I don't think it would be successful. WoW is basically surviving thanks to its momentum, take that away, and people would try it and leave.

Deleted
    I'd like a WoW 2.0, but I don't think it would be successful. WoW is basically surviving thanks to its momentum, take that away, and people would try it and leave.
    WoW in its current state has momentum? Yeah, like a grand piano has momentum falling off of a building.

WoW 2 would get more hype than Fallout 4. Coinciding with the movie, it'd have even more of a push. WoW 2 would bring back momentum, it wouldn't fall flat. Anything, literally anything is better than the current retail garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    WoW in its current state has momentum? Yeah, like a grand piano has momentum falling off of a building.

WoW 2 would get more hype than Fallout 4. Coinciding with the movie, it'd have even more of a push. WoW 2 would bring back momentum, it wouldn't fall flat. Anything, literally anything is better than the current retail garbage.

Well, if something is still going on, then yes, it has momentum, by definition.

To me, WoW is still here because there was a strong initial force (Vainilla), followed by BC and WotLK adding even more force to the equation.

Nowadays no extra force is being added to WoW, it keeps going because some of that initial force is still here, but eventually the friction will cause it to stop.

updating graphics won't do much, unless they ditch the "spoonfeed the casuals" game design.