Woo, I got the book. Time to get to reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Elune has been the no.1 lore topic of interest for a while now, seen a lot of questions and mystery and interest surrounding her come up a lot, and chronicles not answering that has made it even more so.

Perhaps they didn't want to tackle that one yet, Chris may not have decided on exactly what she is supposed to be.

Or, she is a greater naaru, or related to the light side thingy, and she will feature a lot more in Volume 2 when the draenei, argus, naaru and the light feature more heavily. But that is kinda silly, she means a lot more to Azeroth and the night elves worship her than to the Draenei, but then who knows, maybe she is what links the elves and the draenei or some new massive revelation
    well Vol 1 is coming out before legion.

It would make sense, I think, to set up this base universe stuff. Then in Legion Illidan spills the beans letting us know this info he learned. As well as the big reveal that Elune is the titan in question. While a later volume about the Night elves would come out after Legion and it would make sense to talk in depth about Elune and why she took an interest in the elves that developed. since its already revealed

It wouldnt make sense, i think from a literary perspective to have that specific detail if it is true revealed before legion reveals it. While being vague and non specific about Elven culture in this book doesnt reveal nor deny it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    Just got the Chronicle and read through it. Pretty impressed, honestly. It retcons a lot, but for once it's for the sake of a surprising amount of consistency (and manages to actually give consistent explanations for existing things without having to retcon them).

When I read that Spirit controls the nature of the other elements, I was wondering why Azeroth's elements seemed to be much more aggressive than Draenor's, despite Azeroth clearly being strong in Spirit. Then a few pages later, they explain that Azeroth's world-soul is absorbing the Spirit in order to be born.

'Killing the Old Gods will destroy Azeroth' is explained in a way that doesn't make the story pointless (they were just impossible for the Titans to kill without destroying Azeroth, because the Titans are planet-sized and can't be precise enough with how well-rooted the Old Gods are).

'Sargeras actually being good' is used, but in a way that actually works (he's definitely evil, but he means well with his goal; he's the ultimate well-intentioned extremist). It even gives a really interesting way for him to have seduced the well-meaning Eredar (he really does know a secret about the universe they need to stop).

While I'm not keen on the whole "the ultimate enemy is a faceless, abstract representation of entropy", it results in a cosmology that actually makes sense, all without significantly redefining the conflicts we've been through.
    I can see how some would be uncertain with the whole void lords things. But Azeroth has existed with life on it for over 15000 years. It shouldnt be our concern (necessarily) anymore than a Meteor Armeggedon or the heat death or aliens are to real life Earth. Its always possible but it probably wont happen. Our main concern is that Sargeras isnt taking any chances and there is no chance we'll be able to "talk him out of it" because of the big universal issue that normally wouldnt affect us for a long time.

I can see the possibility of them realizing that Azeroth is allegedly strong enough to destroy all void controlled worlds and any possible Void titan and them putting more effort into Azeroth once they figure out its not just a possible titan but the best titan.
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

10+ Year Old Account
    While I know a lot of the big spoilers, I definitely shielded myself from a lot so when I get the book tomorrow there's a ton in there. I've only read a few paragraphs, definitely getting excited to read the entire thing.

Whatever arcane they use is pretty much identical to the one used by Druids. The interpretation you can give is that both use that stuff because of their shared worship of Elune. That would explain how druids and priestesses of the moon can manage to use a degree of arcane magic without studying it as mages do.

Still, this would do nothing to clarify from where the Light and Shadow comes if Elune is just a boosted Anveena.
    Malfurion didn't get his power from Elune though and he did study a lot of Druidism. In the Seed of Faith, he didn't even have that much faith in Elune.

I don't know if you have to study the same art as mages do to have access to spells which are arcane in nature. Magics seem much more flexible than that. Malfurion did use lots of elemental spells too.

The power in question should be obtained by worshipping Elune. Since the Horde player has no intentions to worship his enemy's goddess, he follows the easy way and just thrusts the acolytes' spirits within the gems.

Moreover:

"The ancients revered the gems created by this mystical object, claiming that they were gifts from the goddess herself. It was believed that they were weapons capable of delivering them from any enemy."

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:All_Becoming_Clearer

"Along the runestone, it is explained that the momument's gemstones were imbued with the power to summon a firestorm.

The storm could grow to be a mighty weapon either through sustained worship of Elune, or charged by spiritual energies of the fallen."

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Firestarter

The gems are claimed to be a gift (arguably a creation) of Elune herself, later clarified their capability (summon a firestorm) and pointed out that a fervent Elune's worshipper would harness such power with his worship alone. That means the power would be granted by Elune herself.
    Doesn't that just reinforce my point? Magic is magic it could hurt anyone. The point is Elune didn't approve or commune with the players to kill people there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know the first book only just came out, but did they mention an abouts on how long it will take for the rest of them?
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

Hope this is a more accurate map of the world.

what i wonder if volume 2 is going to have details like numbers of populations etc, like the RPG source books had, that sorta stuff and detail was a lot of fun to have.

what i wonder if volume 2 is going to have details like numbers of populations etc, like the RPG source books had, that sorta stuff and detail was a lot of fun to have.
    I would love to see the populations of each expansion, cause Im starting to think Humans reproduce like rabbits now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I would love to see the populations of each expansion, cause Im starting to think Humans reproduce like rabbits now.
    lol .. yeah or in wow terms..like goblins, I'd also like to see some land mass sizes, city sizes etc, seeing that in-game is not a scaled version of the actual sizes either, it's just a version of the actual thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Hope this is a more accurate map of the world.
    It's missing some previously known South Seas islands, most notably Plunder Isle. It could be the case of those islands being future content, like every previous continent suddenly appearing on maps, but then, that doesn't explain Zandalar, Tel'abim, and Kul'tiras being on this map.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2016-03-15 at 02:26 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

lol .. yeah or in wow terms..like goblins, I'd also like to see some land mass sizes, city sizes etc, seeing that in-game is not a scaled version of the actual sizes either, it's just a version of the actual thing.
    I liked the original WoW cinematic trailer where it shows that Mul'gore being so vast.

I really hate the scaling they use in the maps, but the one i posted above from the book seems really well made. Especially the islands off of Gilneas.

From what I've heard vol 2. is Argus and Draenor history up to about the same time period that vol. 1 ends. Then vol. 3 covers more of the RTS games and up to current day in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a line that explicitly states that Azeroth-Titan could have the power to opose the void lords. So we are 100% right in oposing Sargeras's extream methods, aka eradicting the universe, not that it wasn't obvious already. One thing It doesn't state is what would become of said planet once a World Soul flurished.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    One thing It doesn't state is what would become of said planet once a World Soul flurished.
    Part of the process was to pacify the elements, mold the land and create "myriad" life on these planets to see if they had a world soul. I'm guessing the Titans believe it's a great honor for mortal races to get blown into oblivion once a world matures, or since a World can survive without a world soul, then maybe Azeroth's can too? Maybe we'll get lucky and the world soul has been secretly transported to the moon!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    If elune is a titan i am siding with sargeras
    For the DARK LORD

7+ Year Old Account
    The case is shut on whether Cenarius is actually, literally the son of Elune and Malorne. He is not. He is a Wild God. It simply says that the night elves held the belief that he was their son. I guess he found that charming and let it go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Doesn't that just reinforce my point? Magic is magic it could hurt anyone. The point is Elune didn't approve or commune with the players to kill people there.
    Except that's not my point. The point is that Elune basically crafted gems able to summon a firestorm. That looks much more arcane than light/void related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    Someone make a new thread with the major ''new'' lore stuff for the poor people pls

Do people have the ebook? I get the hardcover on thursday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Except that's not my point. The point is that Elune basically crafted gems able to summon a firestorm. That looks much more arcane than light/void related.
    Holyfire, perhaps?

Deleted
    I'm graciously waiting for a summary.

Any moment now.