When I don't get to play a beta of your game you know you're in trouble. #CoolNerdSunglasses

I'm disappointed, but I know that the developers have to feel ever more so.

Maybe over time they'll come back to the franchise, because there is so much money they could make with it if they just you know.... made it.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Shangshang View Post
    I'm disappointed, but I know that the developers have to feel ever more so.

Maybe over time they'll come back to the franchise, because there is so much money they could make with it if they just you know.... made it.
    Too bad the Everquest franchise is in the hands of Columbus Nova. Barring any sale or licensing deal, and all the negative PR surrounding the Everquest franchise now, I doubt we will be seeing another Everquest game for a VERY long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me sad. It also makes me wish they'd have just made EQ3, which they scrapped to make EQN. That's all a lot of fans really wanted--a continuation of the EQ universe. Oh well. I can't imagine I'll try a new MMO anytime soon. The days of EverQuest-like MMOs are over.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    The days of EverQuest-like MMOs are over.
    Surprisingly, Brad McQuaid's MMO, Pantheon, is making some pretty solid progress. Just showed off some gameplay last week and while it's absolutely very early/rough, at least it's playable.

I'm still skeptical he can deliver on the final product, but damn if his ideas (weather acclimation, WEATHER ACCLIMATION!) and desire to make and "older" school MMO aren't appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Surprisingly, Brad McQuaid's MMO, Pantheon, is making some pretty solid progress. Just showed off some gameplay last week and while it's absolutely very early/rough, at least it's playable.

I'm still skeptical he can deliver on the final product, but damn if his ideas (weather acclimation, WEATHER ACCLIMATION!) and desire to make and "older" school MMO aren't appealing.
    Assuming this ever gets off the ground, I would play the shit out of this.

I'm definitely interested in Pantheon, I've definitely missed the social aspects in MMOs lately. Playing WoW these days you might as well be playing with AI controlled group members half the time. Sometimes I wonder if that really is the case even...
    I just hope they can find that sweet spot between a great social game, and something you don't need to dedicate too much time to. Well, too much unnecessary time at least, I don't mind spending time in a game if it's getting somewhere, but just grinding the same mobs in the same spot for hours, I can live without.

Yeah I followed the hell out of that when it was on Kickstarter. There was a lot of shit going around at that time concerning his reliability though so I didn't pledge any $. I think Pantheon is more of a wait-and-see for me. If his ideas work out - great I'll buy it.

On the other hand, I did pledge $ towards Crowfall. I generally don't like to give money to ambitious projects, but there was something about that game in particular that convinced me to drop the dough.

With EQN officially scrapped, Pantheon and Crowfall are the only future MMOs on my radar. There's really nothing else out there of interest to me. I'll play Legion for sure, and occasionally hop on ESO, but the energy just has died in this genre.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Yeah I followed the hell out of that when it was on Kickstarter. There was a lot of shit going around at that time concerning his reliability though so I didn't pledge any $. I think Pantheon is more of a wait-and-see for me. If his ideas work out - great I'll buy it.
    Ye, even ignoring the issues that allegedly went on with the crowdfunded money they'd raised I wasn't about to back the project either given that he was in charge of the business and what happened last time that was the case : /

But I'm hopeful that he can continue to make progress, because I really dig the concept behind the game.

On the other hand, I did pledge $ towards Crowfall. I generally don't like to give money to ambitious projects, but there was something about that game in particular that convinced me to drop the dough.
    They ran a great campaign. Fantastic marketing/communication strategy (for a Kickstarter, no less), big names working on the project, clear plans and direction. I'm keeping a close eye on that one.

With EQN officially scrapped, Pantheon and Crowfall are the only future MMOs on my radar. There's really nothing else out there of interest to me. I'll play Legion for sure, and occasionally hop on ESO, but the energy just has died in this genre.
    There's also Camelot Unchained, which could be interesting. The market is definitely changing. I think it's finally starting to contact after years of unsustainable growth with AAA MMO's releasing at far too fast a rate.

There are a few other smaller MMO's being worked on by various indie teams that could prove promising/interesting (The Repopulation, after they finish their engine migration after the Hero Engine disaster, Ever Jane, Albion Online, and a handful of others), so we'll still have new stuff coming out. Just nothing with 9 figure USD development/marketing budgets...except Star Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Too bad the Everquest franchise is in the hands of Columbus Nova. Barring any sale or licensing deal, and all the negative PR surrounding the Everquest franchise now, I doubt we will be seeing another Everquest game for a VERY long time.
    I doubt that we will ever see a NEW EQ title. Outside of the xpacks for the two existing games its a done thing. I have ZERO faith in Daybreak being able to deliver anything else EQ and it being worth a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Surprised this thread is still open.
    same, considering the game doesnt even exist anymore.

McQuaid has the same ideas for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. It was the best conceptual MMO of that decade with all the ideas for it, but they bit off way more than they could chew. I won't peek at Pantheon because of how burned I was from Vanguard.

I don't want to bump this thread to beat a dead horse, but it seems the most appropriate thread to discuss what's on a lot of EQ fans' minds.

Is Norrath dead? EQ2 won't survive much longer (IMO) and it fell into extreme obscurity a decade ago. What should happen to the IP? What will happen to the rich lore of the universe? Where will we get our Ratonga fix?

I hold no faith in Daybreak to ever continue the world of EQ2, I also hold no faith in them to deliver refunds for the founder's packs (A lot of people are trying).

Erm, while EQ2 may not be doing gangbusters, it's still getting expansions every year with new zones, raids, dungeons, etc. Still getting new classes and races from time to time as well (channeler and the dragon-y race).

I doubt we'll see anything big beyond them kinda pushing out Landmark just to get it out there, sadly. Just more support for EQ1/2 through patches, expansions, and the time locked servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I hold no faith in Daybreak to ever continue the world of EQ2, I also hold no faith in them to deliver refunds for the founder's packs (A lot of people are trying).
    I'm really glad I didn't get a founder's pack. Not sure if they had some language at the purchase screen that absolves them of refunds/liability in the case of EQN getting scrapped (they probably did), but it is a really, really shitty thing for them to do, especially considering that the company and the IP was pretty well established.

Let this be a warning to people who are considering purchasing "founder's packs" and anything similar for future games.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I don't want to bump this thread to beat a dead horse, but it seems the most appropriate thread to discuss what's on a lot of EQ fans' minds.

Is Norrath dead? EQ2 won't survive much longer (IMO) and it fell into extreme obscurity a decade ago. What should happen to the IP? What will happen to the rich lore of the universe? Where will we get our Ratonga fix?

I wouldn't mind if they made a Kingdom of Amalur/Dragon Age/Skyrim type console game out of Norrath if the MMO route is no longer viable. While the location placement and lore breaking made me cringe, I still enjoyed the two Champions of Norrath games. Something more modern could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they made a Kingdom of Amalur/Dragon Age/Skyrim type console game out of Norrath if the MMO route is no longer viable. While the location placement and lore breaking made me cringe, I still enjoyed the two Champions of Norrath games. Something more modern could be fun.
    That would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's how I've always felt about things like "Founders Packs" and crowdfunding and all the things in that vein. I just don't like this whole, "Players as investors" concept, seeing as how it's 100% of the risk and 0% of the reward.
    The only thing that bothers me about this is that it was a big dev with a big IP. Otherwise I do think crowdfunding is a fantastic opportunity for the industry, especially if you are someone into niche games. Of course, eventually one big and "secure" one was going to fail.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm really glad I didn't get a founder's pack. Not sure if they had some language at the purchase screen that absolves them of refunds/liability in the case of EQN getting scrapped (they probably did), but it is a really, really shitty thing for them to do, especially considering that the company and the IP was pretty well established.

Let this be a warning to people who are considering purchasing "founder's packs" and anything similar for future games.
    I've never bought one but one thing I am really starting to hate in the gaming industry is 'Season Passes'. Take Battleborn, $60 for the game and $20 for a 'season pass'.