Page 49 of 106 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    This is the sort of cultural imperialism that leads to the grave insult of 'Minnesota Vikings' -
    I regularly tease our healing lead, English major with a focus on Old English, on History' Channels' Vikings and it's amazing historical accuracy, if it's any consolation.

King Ragnar is my hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post

And how would that stop western people that turned to IS? You have those people too.

So in other words: No real solution.
    How many western people are turned to IS? What percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I stand corrected although he was very eager to respond.
    Would you rather him shut up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Again, terrorism needs to be treated as the 2.5 out of 10 problem it is, not the 9 out of 10 problem we sometimes get so worked up that we treat it as, just so we can make ourselves feel better. The United States is stronger today than it was a few years ago, in large part because Europe, Russia and China have hit terrible difficulties. But that's luck, and no where near as strong as we would be if we waged our post-9/11 era with a hell of a lot more wisdom and patience than we exhibited. We basically did everything wrong, and that's from someone who was ready to nuke Afghanistan into oblivion just to send a message, 15 years ago.
    Skroe and I disagree on a lot, but the bolded part I agree with 100%; terrorism, for all that it's frightening (because its designed to be frightening) is statistically a minor thing, less threatening to life and limb than cars, or tripping and falling - it does far less economic damage than bad weather or industrial accidents. It's properly left to police and intelligence agencies, with a little assistance from the military when required - the nonsense of pretending its worse than WWII or the Cold War, and using it as an excuse to waste trillions needs to end.

Does the thought of a terrorist attack make me a little nervous? When I saw this news from Brussels, was my first thought to wonder if my friends and family in the EU are safe? Of course, because I'm human, and humans are bad at dealing rationally with high-cost but low-probability events (our brains are evolved to work in almost exactly the wrong way in such circumstances), but at the same time, I'm also mathematically literate - air travel also makes me nervous but that doesn't stop me from flying, and I know objectively that my friends and relatives are at much more risk from cars or their slippery shower floors than they are from terrorists.

When you react to terrorism the way the terrorists want you to - when you let yourself be terrorized, when you reflexively lash out and add to the chaos, when you listen to those who seek to directly or indirectly use terrorist attacks to push their own agendas, when you act against the basic codes of civilization, then not only are the terrorists winning, but they're winning because you're doing their work for them. More time and money wasted on security theater is terrorists winning; more hatred and divisiveness between ordinary people (whatever their race or creed) is terrorists winning; more war, bloodshed, and destruction of institutions (social and physical) is terrorists winning - the Brits had the right sentiment back during the Blitz, it's sad that we've forgotten just how effective refusing to be terrorized is.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maizensh View Post
    Would you rather him shut up?
    No he;s free to say what he wants but I see no point in dragging the Israel-Palestine conflict in this thread.

“We have to be very careful in the US, we have to be very vigilant as to who we let in this country,” he told Fox & Friends.

Trump said if he was president, his strict immigration policies would already have been in a place. If he was in a position to respond to the Brussels attacks, he said, he would give US citizens a “pep talk”.

He also endorsed the use of torture for people who have information on terrorists.

“If they could expand the laws, I would do a lot more than waterboarding,” Trump told NBC’s Today Show. “You have to get the information from people.”

He told Fox the attacks were “not our fault”, but rather the fault of immigrant communities that do not inform authorities about neighbors’ suspicious behavior.

Trump versus Hillary

Terrorists have once again struck at the heart of Europe, but their campaign of hate and fear will not succeed. The people of Brussels, of Europe, and of the world will not be intimidated by these vicious killers.

Today Americans stand in solidarity with our European allies. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those killed and wounded, and all the people of Belgium. These terrorists seek to undermine the democratic values that are the foundation of our alliance and our way of life, but they will never succeed. Today’s attacks will only strengthen our resolve to stand together as allies and defeat terrorism and radical jihadism around the world.

Clinton also called into the Today show. She called the attacks “deeply distressing” but said closed borders were not the answer, and the “dream of a whole, free Europe … should not be walked away from”.

She opposed torture. Security officials “do not need to resort to torture, but they are going to need more help”, she said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    16:37 Due to border patrol increased near the Netherlands has made Traffic worse for those that want to go to the Netherlands from Belgium, to around 1 - 2 hours waiting.

16:38 King Filip of Belgium will give out a speech at 19h00.

16:39 Hospital in Antwerp has accepted around 20 injured people who are now being taken care of.

16:40 The Metrostation of Maalbeek reached to around 20 deaths.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    Yes pretty mutch, the middle east cant function without dictators.
    We tried it, the US gave Irak the same freedom as the EU after WW2.

The EU build up from the ashes and took the freedom as a blessing.
    Irak blamed the ashes on others and just used the freedom to build up hate.
    Well, we have had a Marshall Plan here in Germany, which was a blessing, and a great act of generosity, even if not completely selfless. Helping rebuild Germany was a great way to ensure that there would not be any unrest, and that people would be grateful and have a positive attitude. It also gave the USA/UK/France a right to control the development of things, besides being the victors.

Unfortunately, there has not been such a rebuilding plan in the Middle East. "Arab Spring" was also fuelled by the incredible poverty of people in the region. Poverty creates unrest, because if you are afraid of starving, you will resort to violence more often.

Of course, there is also a mentality problem. Germans also worked hard to rebuild their country (and are still relatively hard-working people, although there is a share of slackers here), and I only hear about muslims being lazy. Could be a prejudice, but I tend to believe this based on things I have heared about some muslim countries. The only religion I know which supports hard working is the evangelical twist on Christianism (success in this world corresponds directly to bliss in the afterworld and such).

I don't know if history would have run a different course if there would have been a greater investment in the Middle East. Nuclear assaults against the region would definitely not help much, that's for sure. I also cannot say, if total embargos could "quarantine" the region. Starting an all-out-war would definitely turn bad.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-03-22 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    Wait. You actually think THIS, Al Qaeda and ISIS compares to the Crusades and Genghis Khan? Is that some sort of Joke? The Crusades lasted five hundred years. Genghis Khan created the largest contiguous empire in human history, changed the demographics of Asia and destroyed a Caliphate.
    ISIS - and the civil wars currently being fought in the middle east - that has been the impetus for the immense amount of "refugees" that have fled into Europe has, almost overnight, COMPLETELY changed the demographics of Europe. In 150 years, once the total Islamization of Europe has take hold, ISIS (and other factions) will be praised for being the cause of this. The Muslims have effectually taken over Europe and did not even have to fire a shot.

If you can't deter, just kill them. Just keep at it, like a hobby as they pop up.
    I agree - let's just treat this as a hobby cause hobbies are supposed to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    “We have to be very careful in the US, we have to be very vigilant as to who we let in this country,” he told Fox & Friends.

Trump said if he was president, his strict immigration policies would already have been in a place. If he was in a position to respond to the Brussels attacks, he said, he would give US citizens a “pep talk”.

He also endorsed the use of torture for people who have information on terrorists.

“If they could expand the laws, I would do a lot more than waterboarding,” Trump told NBC’s Today Show. “You have to get the information from people.”

He told Fox the attacks were “not our fault”, but rather the fault of immigrant communities that do not inform authorities about neighbors’ suspicious behavior.

Trump versus Hillary

Terrorists have once again struck at the heart of Europe, but their campaign of hate and fear will not succeed. The people of Brussels, of Europe, and of the world will not be intimidated by these vicious killers.

Today Americans stand in solidarity with our European allies. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those killed and wounded, and all the people of Belgium. These terrorists seek to undermine the democratic values that are the foundation of our alliance and our way of life, but they will never succeed. Today’s attacks will only strengthen our resolve to stand together as allies and defeat terrorism and radical jihadism around the world.

Clinton also called into the Today show. She called the attacks “deeply distressing” but said closed borders were not the answer, and the “dream of a whole, free Europe … should not be walked away from”.

She opposed torture. Security officials “do not need to resort to torture, but they are going to need more help”, she said.
    'Deeply distressing'. Yeah, I bet. I bet she's all sorts of distressed over people dying thousands of miles away from her.

I mean at this point, what difference does it make?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've also arrested two people in the Netherlands, one in a train in Hoofddorp and one on Amsterdam Central Station. No news yet if these two have something to do with the events in Brussels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    No he;s free to say what he wants but I see no point in dragging the Israel-Palestine conflict in this thread.
    Agreed. Although it did seem that he tried to shut the subject by calling out the other poster. Forum posts are not a very clear medium to say the least.

Goat fuckers everywhere praise your sky person....

What a bunch of fucking losers. I honestly wonder at what point civilians are allowed to kick in a couple hundred thousand dollars to play with an armed drone?

Was that too un-PC? Because when they start commercializing drone strikes, I'm buying two just to laugh at these fucking cunts. Hell, I'll borrow the money if I'm not liquid enough at the time.

[Infracted]

10+ Year Old Account

Does that matter?
    People claimed they had a way to stop 100% of this.
    Yes it does. For all I know is that mostly Dutch from Morrocon descent turn to IS.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Skroe and I disagree on a lot, but the bolded part I agree with 100%; terrorism, for all that it's frightening (because its designed to be frightening) is statistically a minor thing, less threatening to life and limb than cars, or tripping and falling - it does far less economic damage than bad weather or industrial accidents. It's properly left to police and intelligence agencies, with a little assistance from the military when required - the nonsense of pretending its worse than WWII or the Cold War, and using it as an excuse to waste trillions needs to end.

Does the thought of a terrorist attack make me a little nervous? When I saw this news from Brussels, was my first thought to wonder if my friends and family in the EU are safe? Of course, because I'm human, and humans are bad at dealing rationally with high-cost but low-probability events (our brains are evolved to work in almost exactly the wrong way in such circumstances), but at the same time, I'm also mathematically literate - air travel also makes me nervous but that doesn't stop me from flying, and I know objectively that my friends and relatives are at much more risk from cars or their slippery shower floors than they are from terrorists.

When you react to terrorism the way the terrorists want you to - when you let yourself be terrorized, when you reflexively lash out and add to the chaos, when you listen to those who seek to directly or indirectly use terrorist attacks to push their own agendas, when you act against the basic codes of civilization, then not only are the terrorists winning, but they're winning because you're doing their work for them. More time and money wasted on security theater is terrorists winning; more hatred and divisiveness between ordinary people (whatever their race or creed) is terrorists winning; more war, bloodshed, and destruction of institutions (social and physical) is terrorists winning - the Brits had the right sentiment back during the Blitz, it's sad that we've forgotten just how effective refusing to be terrorized is.
    So much this. And the Blitz is the perfect example of the right way to react.

It's a shame "don't let the terrorists win" has become such a tired cliche, but it's so very true. ISIS, Al Qaeda have no better an accomplice - and I think that word needs to be used - than someone who inflates these small groups of relatively limited means who can cause some degree of shocking mayhem to the level of Independence Day City Destroyers. If anyone blows terrorists up to that level, so far beyond what they're ever capable of achieving on their own, they're really doing their work for them.

We need to put a stop to this battle for civilization - existential conflict nonsense. Frankly, I think some folks are so bored by our in many ways, spoiled rotten time in which we live, they're bored and yearn for that kind of drama.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    So do you have any sources for that retarded bullshit you are spreading?.
    Sources? I don't need any sources whatsoever, what makes you think I do? I have plenty of personal experience with muslims to decide on my own what I believe. Your insults, and others, wont make any difference whatsoever. I know that probably bothers you, but I don't care. You think I am a retard, and I think you are a retard. Nothing is going to change that.

Anyway, not going to bother replying anymore, have a nice day sir :-)
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Deleted
    Airport at Charleroi, Antwerp and East-Flanders has increased their border patrols.
    Police are making sure to check every parked car
    Around 32 airplanes that were supposed to land in Brussels are routed there.
    8 planes already have landed and those that leave from the planes are being searched before they can leave the airport.

Source: http://www.hbvl.be/cnt/dmf20160322_0...haven-zaventem

Source 2: VTM Nieuws. (on TV)

Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    Sources? I don't need any sources whatsoever, what makes you think I do? I have plenty of personal experience with muslims to decide on my own what I believe. Your insults, and others, wont make any difference whatsoever. I know that probably bothers you, but I don't care. You think I am a retard, and I think you are a retard. Nothing is going to change that.

Anyway, not going to bother replying anymore, have a nice day sir :-)
    Demand of source is the internet's way of saying that you're not allowed to have experiences because results aren't typical.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy in Hoofddorp had a "suspicious" backpack which contained a helmet.
    And according to the police in Amsterdam it had nothing to do with Brussel.
    Okay didn't get that yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    'Deeply distressing'. Yeah, I bet. I bet she's all sorts of distressed over people dying thousands of miles away from her.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6946121.html
    Google planned to create an interactive tool designed to encourage Syrian rebels and help bring down the Assad regime, Hillary Clinton's leaked emails have reportedly revealed.

The tool was reportedly meant to track and map defections within the Syrian leadership, encouraging more people to defect and “giving confidence to the opposition.”

It was allegedly described as a “pretty cool idea” by senior Clinton adviser Jake Sullivan, and was broadcast into Syria by Al Jazeera, Google claimed.

The email detailing Google's defection tracker purportedly came from Jared Cohen, a Clinton advisor until 2010 and now-President of Jigsaw, formerly known as Google Ideas, the company's New York-based policy think tank.

In a July 2012 email to members of Clinton's team, which the WikiLeaks release alleges was later forwarded to the Secretary of State herself, Cohen reportedly said: “My team is planning to launch a tool on Sunday that will publicly track and map the defections in Syria and which parts of the government they are coming from.
    She couldn't care less. She has been working on ways to organize and train Islamists in the middle east since Obama hired her. She is the very reason this happens and will continue to happen in Europe. ISIS and al Nursa are her offspring.

She is a cold blooded reptile that lives off death.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2016-03-22 at 03:53 PM.