Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    And yet if we got rid of public education we would immediately become non-functional as a first world nation. As the need for education proceeds with technology so does what becomes the duty of the nation for the good of the nation.

The people who are against education tend to only be "they get free stuff I hate other people" and ignore the fact that the nation requires it to exist.
    You're making the assumption that public education would disappear without the federal government's involvement. That is certainly not the case. Education existed before the Department of Education and it would exist after. State and local communities would provide education as it should be. It is not the place of the federal government to be involved. Again I ask for any direct reference in the Constitution to provide education. And again I point out that any power not granted to the federal government is the right of the people or the States.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    BOOM, you just created a trade war with your top 5 partners, they now raise their tariffs to match ours. since there is such a huge trade imbalance this hurts us more then it hurts them.
    The trade imbalance is the US buying more goods from others. If all sides lose 10% of their trade then they lose more that we do. Not only in actual dollars (or whatever currency you want to use) but also as a percent of their GDP since the US GDP is so much larger than theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    You're making the assumption that public education would disappear without the federal government's involvement. That is certainly not the case. Education existed before the Department of Education and it would exist after. State and local communities would provide education as it should be. It is not the place of the federal government to be involved. Again I ask for any direct reference in the Constitution to provide education. And again I point out that any power not granted to the federal government is the right of the people or the States.
    Under no circumstances can the states adequately meet education needs. We both know that the states would not be equally providing education. And the education you try to reference was the sort of shit that might happen in between planting and harvest that barely taught the kids a thing.

We require education to continue as a nation. I don't take kindly to anyone trying to destroy the nation with naive ideas.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    Step 4: Offer tax breaks for corporations and companies that employ legal American citizens and legal immigrants. Severely penalize those that employ illegal immigrants.

[...]

Boom, those six steps will create a booming local economy that not only creates demand for workers (and thus college students), but also encourages local business and makes American-made products cheaper abroad, which in turn only increases the economy even more.

There'd be some upset for the first decade or two, especially because of Steps 1, 2, and 6. But in the long run it would greatly benefit the country in just about every way.
    Well, step 4 wouldn't. I mean, unless you think significantly raising food prices will help the economy in any way. Step 6 certainly would though. #1 reason for homelessness and bankruptcy is medical bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Under no circumstances can the states adequately meet education needs. We both know that the states would not be equally providing education. And the education you try to reference was the sort of shit that might happen in between planting and harvest that barely taught the kids a thing.

We require education to continue as a nation. I don't take kindly to anyone trying to destroy the nation with naive ideas.
    I'm pretty sure the individual states have a far better idea of what education is required for their own industrial/employment base. Montana, New York, California, Florida and Illinois all have pretty much completely different educational requirements for their individual employments needs. How does a one size fit all Department of Education meet all of these disparate requirements. What you're really advocating is redistribution of wealth by centralizing the education decision making process into the hands of bureaucrats. Pray tell me how the over 4000 employee of the Department of Education adds to the overall education quality of the students of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Sums up the left today. Emotion based logic is a failure. Social Justice idiocy.

This generation of college students is the worst that I have ever seen.

I gotta say she is a moron. She cant even comprehend what the news caster is saying when he says if they took the 1% entire fortune that it wouldn't last 3 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vurdah View Post
    Well ofc if you get a degree in art history it is going to be pointless to have for most jobs. I thought you were talking about specialized degrees being saturated to the point where you would need multiple degrees to even be competitive in the job market.
    Multiple or specialization, depending on your field. A biology major does jack shit now if you don't have experiential training or research experience or a sub specialty, for example. And the field of law is grotesquely saturated

Maybe not free but maybe we can start by making it more affordable. Stop the robbery that is college text book prices. Make tuition more affordable as well.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    So the OP is against workers who work for multi-million dollar companies being paid a living wage*, and making sure academically gifted students from poorer backgrounds can afford a decent education?

That's cute.

*Because the old lie of poor people want luxury and things handed to them on a silver platter still persists. No no, they want to be able to pay their rent on a min-wage full time job.

Why are the right-wing posters on this forum so blindsided and childish?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Multiple or specialization, depending on your field. A biology major does jack shit now if you don't have experiential training or research experience or a sub specialty, for example. And the field of law is grotesquely saturated
    Yes indeed.

Bio research ain't exactly a great meal ticket either. The number of people with biology and related Ph.D.'s that continue to earn their keep in research has dropped like a rock. It's a nice background to have for other pursuits, but hard to recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Try 3 decades thanks to good ol' Reagan. Who because of his charisma and international relations is widely viewed as the best republican. president. ever. Despite the fact that he started a trend of ridiculous military spending and raising the debt ceiling, a practice that has been repeated by every president since.

The whole idea of trickle down is dependant on businesses not being greedy cunts but guess what? Most businesses are greedy cunts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycefli View Post
    So the OP is against workers who work for multi-million dollar companies being paid a living wage*, and making sure academically gifted students from poorer backgrounds can afford a decent education?

That's cute.
    Also presumably in favour of ongoing trillion-dollar welfare payments to those deserving souls on wall st.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Bio research ain't exactly a great meal ticket either. The number of people with biology and related Ph.D.'s that continue to earn their keep in research has dropped like a rock. It's a nice background to have for other pursuits, but hard to recommend.
    Ya, that's pretty much what past classmates have told me... it served some of them very well as a big boost to their resume, but wasn't something they continued after college.

And on top of market saturation, always have to keep in mind shrinking of the job market due to technological advances. Pharmacy has been seen as an extremely stable profession for decades.. but about two years ago 5,000 mail order pharmacists got laid off pretty much overnight because advances in technology decreased how many pharmacists mail order needed to keep things moving (and since mail order pharmacy pretty much kills all of a pharmacist's skills outside of looking at prompts and signing off on tons of prescriptions, they were largely outdated and not hired back into the job market). And this is one of the professions viewed as having the most stability in a technologically progressing world.

Isn't this really the core of the problem? Not enough well-paying jobs to go around. Capitalism at its finest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Isn't this really the core of the problem? Not enough well-paying jobs to go around. Capitalism at its finest.
    It really is more that the people working in certain professions has increased at a rate far greater than the job market. Which is why I find Sander's ultra focusing on colleges to be backwards and stupid... there needs to be alternate routes to engaging in professions that don't require the college route, rather than establishing college as the basic standard for education.

Also, ohai post 15,000 \o/
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2016-03-24 at 01:06 AM.

>Typical Republican wondering how we pay for the things that nearly every other civilized country has always figured out.
    >Turns around and masturbates to our bloated, unkempt military complex.

BUT HOW, GUYS?

It really is more that the people working in certain professions has increased at a rate far greater than the job market.
    What job markets have significant demand besides tech? Almost everyone I know in any industry has struggled to find work as a millennial.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What job markets have significant demand besides tech? Almost everyone I know in any industry has struggled to find work as a millennial.
    Engineers are doing quite well, particularly geo-science ones. I guess that's still kinda-tech, but not the in the sense that a lot of people think of.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I would love to know what dark crevice you pulled "$25" out of. Minimum wage adjusted for inflation is $4. We are currently making twice the rate that minimum wage started at (adjusted for inflation)

You literally don't understand your own source. Yes, 1938 minimum wage is akin to 4 dollars per hour today, but when someone is talking about minimum wage adjusted for inflation, they are referring to buying power. If minimum wage kept up with inflation it would be around 12/hr.

So yes, the 25/hr is bs. But you are still wrong.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Engineers are doing quite well, particularly geo-science ones. I guess that's still kinda-tech, but not the in the sense that a lot of people think of.
    That's basically it, though. Job market is overall kindof bullshit. I have friend with a genetics Phd who is doing dog walking, and a friend from high school who is teaching middle school science with her geology Phd.