Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need a new build, haven't done this since 2009!!!

I really want to get the new DOOM when it releases, but i feel like old yeller needs to be taken out to pasture.

My old build

Core i7 920 2.6>3.2ghz OC
    12gb ram
    Radeon R7 920
    CM HAF 932
    80GB SSD (Nothing fancy)
    x4 1tb drives
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Current Resolution 1920x1080
    No accessories needed.

What i would like to accomplish with this new build is to play the new WoW expansion on ultra settings and run DOOM on high or ultra settings. I do plan on getting a better display in the near future as well.

My budget is roughly $1500 Canadian, parts from Canada Computers, NCIX, Amazon or Newegg would work out fine. My old case has seen better days, the top fan rattles, the front I/O panel barely works and no USB 3.0. I don't see any reason why i can't continue to use it, just worried about the power switch going 2 minutes after the build is finished lol.

I think the PSU is in decent shape, but it has been working like crazy for 6+ years. Do you think it's worthwhile to invest in a new one or just keep it until it's death?

Please share your thoughts, and god bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Iite View Post
    I really want to get the new DOOM when it releases, but i feel like old yeller needs to be taken out to pasture.

My old build

12gb ram
    Radeon R7 920
    CM HAF 932
    80GB SSD (Nothing fancy)
    x4 1tb drives
    No accessories needed.

What i would like to accomplish with this new build is to play the new WoW expansion on ultra settings and run DOOM on high or ultra settings. I do plan on getting a better display in the near future as well.

My budget is roughly $1500 Canadian, parts from Canada Computers, NCIX, Amazon or Newegg would work out fine. My old case has seen better days, the top fan rattles, the front I/O panel barely works and no USB 3.0. I don't see any reason why i can't continue to use it, just worried about the power switch going 2 minutes after the build is finished lol.

I think the PSU is in decent shape, but it has been working like crazy for 6+ years. Do you think it's worthwhile to invest in a new one or just keep it until it's death?

Please share your thoughts, and god bless.
    Core i7 920 2.6>3.2ghz OC Replace
    12gb ram Replace
    Radeon R7 920 Replace
    CM HAF 932 Keep
    80GB SSD (Nothing fancy) Keep
    x4 1tb drives Keep
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX PSU Keep
    No accessories needed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.95 @ shopRBC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($40.18 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.99 @ NCIX)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($423.25 @ Vuugo)
    Total: $1116.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 02:43 EDT-0400

The SSD I added isn't technically needed but it's REALLY nice having your OS + 2-3 games and such on an SSD and the rest on your 1TB's

The EVO is ugly but there is plenty of cooling choices if you don't like, CRYORIG H5, Noctua, or Dark ROCK pro... or if you want liquid cooling for whatever reason, Corsair h105 -110 etc.

Your case is beast, should keep it, if you're worried about that panel it should be replaceable but if you're looking for a new case, anything mid tower + would be suffice with solid reviews / brand name.

that PSU is a beast and I couldn't see it being ready to give up yet.
    Last edited by BetrayedOf52; 2016-03-25 at 06:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Replace the PSU if you can fit it in your budget. It was a good PSU when it came out but every PSU will degrade over time and after 7 years it definitely will not be able to hold as high or steady of a load as it would 7 years ago. In all honesty it will be fine for a new build as long as you aren't pushing close to the 850W mark (so no double or triple GPU setups), but like I said, if you can afford to get a new PSU then go for it. Besides, modular is the way to go now and it helps out SO much with cable management and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Replace the PSU if you can fit it in your budget. It was a good PSU when it came out but every PSU will degrade over time and after 7 years it definitely will not be able to hold as high or steady of a load as it would 7 years ago. In all honesty it will be fine for a new build as long as you aren't pushing close to the 850W mark (so no double or triple GPU setups), but like I said, if you can afford to get a new PSU then go for it. Besides, modular is the way to go now and it helps out SO much with cable management and whatnot.

I was thinking going at least semi-modular. Nothing worse than having extra cables you will never use.

Little over budget but it looks good (PC's are faster when they look good)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ BestDirect)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($98.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($205.45 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($454.45 @ Vuugo)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.00 @ shopRBC)
    Total: $1581.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 13:17 EDT-0400

Down the road you can add something like this, if its your thing:
    https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...-led-kit-60cm/
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-25 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Little over budget but it looks good (PC's are faster when they look good)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ BestDirect)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($98.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($205.45 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($454.45 @ Vuugo)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.00 @ shopRBC)
    Total: $1581.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 13:17 EDT-0400

Down the road you can add something like this, if its your thing:
    https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...-led-kit-60cm/
    He has 4 1 terabytes and an 80 gig ssd, he probably only needs a 240 ontop of those.

the 970 is not really future proof at all but more $$ and the r9 390 8GB is better anyways with directx12

His case is also fine, it's a 200+$ case still unless hes sick of it and really cant get the panel working, Id choose something cheaper like corsair 200r or if he wants a window http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...source=afc-%zn

And honestly, your PSU is still really good, but if you think its going to break on you, which I doubt. pick up a EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

also changed the ram from my first statement, from the cheaper 4x4 for 16gigs because you might upgrade to 32? but doubt it, but heres a 2x8 incase.

Also if you plan to spend 90+$ on a cooler, mise well get something pretty for 10$ more

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.98 @ NCIX)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($83.88 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($423.25 @ Vuugo)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.98 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1361.02
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-25 19:56 EDT-0400

You cray cray the dark rock is a gorgeous air cooler. AIO units are junk and terribly unreliable, unnecessary noise for little to no benefit, ill never use one.

And yes he can reuse some parts but imo he should just build fresh, keep the old PC around as a backup or give to a relative etc. You just feel better with all new stuff

You cray cray the dark rock is a gorgeous air cooler. AIO units are junk and terribly unreliable, unnecessary noise for little to no benefit, ill never use one.

And yes he can reuse some parts but imo he should just build fresh, keep the old PC around as a backup or give to a relative etc. You just feel better with all new stuff
    I agree dark rock is soo much nicer then evo or Noctua looks wise, it's just so much $$ in Canada. And ahh didn't really know that, I use : Corsair H80i and iv been solid for 2 years now with my overclock. just opinions both matter =p

and true, back up never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    I agree dark rock is soo much nicer then evo or Noctua looks wise, it's just so much $$ in Canada. And ahh didn't really know that, I use : Corsair H80i and iv been solid for 2 years now with my overclock. just opinions both matter =p

and true, back up never hurts.
    I boggles my mind how AIO coolers got so popular, they have zero benefit when compared to high end air coolers like cryorig r1 ultimate or some of the stuff by phanteks. They are quieter, less expensive, cool the same, and will last longer. H110 vs a cryorig h1 ultimate gets exact same cooling performance, most people think liquid coolers are superior because they cool better, they simply dont. Going custom watercooling is the only way to get drastically lower temps than an air cooler, but were talking multiple hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars.

The only spot i would recommend an AIO cooler to someone is in a mini itx rig where space is limited, then an h80i or something like that would be an excellent choice.

I boggles my mind how AIO coolers got so popular, they have zero benefit when compared to high end air coolers like cryorig r1 ultimate or some of the stuff by phanteks. They are quieter, less expensive, cool the same, and will last longer. H110 vs a cryorig h1 ultimate gets exact same cooling performance, most people think liquid coolers are superior because they cool better, they simply dont. Going custom watercooling is the only way to get drastically lower temps than an air cooler, but were talking multiple hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars.

The only spot i would recommend an AIO cooler to someone is in a mini itx rig where space is limited, then an h80i or something like that would be an excellent choice.
    I think its the idea of having liquid cooling, and the nice corsair logo, with the long tubes going up to the fan, on window cases it looks legit, I know an evo wouldn't let me fit all 4 of my sticks and just touches my gpu. but even if the evo didnt touch my other stuff or block id still get liquid for epeen purposes

were talking multiple hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars.
    ~200 to get something that rivals AIO quality. And around 250-350 to get far better. But yeah you can go absolutely nuts if it's your first build and don't have any of the parts from before. The best fan controllers alone will cost you more than an AIO

10+ Year Old Account

It looks nice and they're just as easy to install as a normal air cooler, I think that's why they've gotten so popular. I almost got an AIO for my most recent build but decided to get a Cryorig instead, to me an AIO is introducing one more variable (liquid) that could potentially cause huge issues, i.e. if there's a leak. Most of the major AIOs (Corsair, NZXT, etc.) have very good track records when it comes to reliability BUT there is always the off chance that you could get a bad unit and it'll leak on you.

Interesting how a first gen Core user only felt the need to upgrade SEVEN years later (2009-2016). He could probably squeeze a couple of years more out of this old horse through serious overclocking.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Interesting how a first gen Core user only felt the need to upgrade SEVEN years later (2009-2016). He could probably squeeze a couple of years more out of this old horse through serious overclocking.
    Sandy Bridge owners were the truly lucky ones. Thing is still completely viable nowadays.

I'm kind of reluctant about CPU upgrades right now, AMD is going to release Zen later this year and it's supposed to be groundbreaking compared to their previous offerings lately.

Maybe they've actually done it correctly this time and can have a competitive product in the market, forcing Intel to drop their own prices.

Deleted
    My old build

12gb ram
    Radeon R7 920
    CM HAF 932
    80GB SSD (Nothing fancy)
    x4 1tb drives
    No accessories needed.
    What the hell is that? There is no such gpu. Is it r7 270? is it r9 290? If its the former - replace, if its the later keep it.
    Could keep even the former one and hold onto it for couple more months for polaris/pascal/vega

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    What the hell is that? There is no such gpu. Is it r7 270? is it r9 290? If its the former - replace, if its the later keep it.
    Could keep even the former one and hold onto it for couple more months for polaris/pascal/vega
    Sorry that was a typo, it's an R9 200 series.

I really appreciate the opinions expressed by you fine people. What i may do is try and squeeze a better monitor into my 1500 budget. I'm looking at keeping the case (I don't use any of the front I/O ports except the occasional file transfer. The manufacturer rates my old PSU at >100,000 hours which I haven't come close to breaking, so i may keep that as well. I do playing on going the dual GPU setup in the future, at that point I will replace the PSU most likely.

I have nothing but good things to say about the i-7 920. Managed to get 3.4ghz on stock volts, truly sad to see it go. I did a hardware test for DOOM and the CPU will definitely be a bottleneck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    that is worse setup for more monies than above ones.

Sorry that was a typo, it's an R9 200 series.

I really appreciate the opinions expressed by you fine people. What i may do is try and squeeze a better monitor into my 1500 budget. I'm looking at keeping the case (I don't use any of the front I/O ports except the occasional file transfer. The manufacturer rates my old PSU at >100,000 hours which I haven't come close to breaking, so i may keep that as well. I do playing on going the dual GPU setup in the future, at that point I will replace the PSU most likely.

I have nothing but good things to say about the i-7 920. Managed to get 3.4ghz on stock volts, truly sad to see it go. I did a hardware test for DOOM and the CPU will definitely be a bottleneck.
    There are plenty of different cards in r9 200 series, if it is r9 290 or 290x you should definitely keep them.

Also if I were you I would not upgrade anything until you actually KNOW you do need it. Wait till the game releases, try it out, then upgrade if you still feel like you need to. There is good chance that after ocing that cpu you will still be able to play it perfectly fine - assuming your gpu is up the the task.
    Unless you are actually struggling with wow now. Idk how that cpu handles wow, have not been playing it for years. There is no reason to rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Any build guide that recommends using a Corsair CX series PSU should not be listened to.
    The CX-750 isnt bad, as it is made by a different OEM than e rest of the line, but the rest are garbage.