Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    More terrorists are 2nd generation than first. A very good reason to stop importing Muslims that simply don't want to integrate.
    Keep in mind 20% of Canadians are foreign born. It's still incredibly an incredibly low rate of people who become radicalized.

Certainly ISIS has some responsibility for the uptick in events recently but those have still been sparse. I think know that we understand their tactics it's going to be much easier to monitor and stamp out their presence online and in social media.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleSaint View Post
    this may be a legitimate criticism of the "system" i confess i do not know enough about this so-called gun show "loophole" to offer an informed opinion. I do believe that if true it is not "intended". I personally believe strongly in the 2nd amendment. However i am a cop after all and reasonable methods to prevent the unlawful possession of weapons should be in place during any firearms transaction.
    It is nearly impossible to account for every possibility in a free and open society. This is the price of freedom sometimes. These freedoms also expose us to greater risk of terrorism as well, but i would not restrict our personal liberties any further,to protect against the "boogeyman" of attacks either.
    Probably because it doesn't actually have anything to do with gun shows. The "gun show loophole" is just a private sale. The same kind of legal private sale you can do in your home or a parking lot. I'm not sure what the hard on is with gun shows almost all the people actually selling at them are FFL dealers who are required to run background checks.

You can say private sales are an issues and should be illegal. It would be impossible to regulate it though and be a waste of time. An easier and much more effective way of handling it would be to require all firearm sales, including private, to require a background check be performed AND make the background check system publicly accessible and free to use. If it's free and can be accessed from a website pretty much anyone who isn't going to be selling the gun illegally to criminals would use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Speaking of restricting personal liberties to protect against "boogeyman", your country has done fine job in exactly that when terrorism is concerned. And terrorism is below 1% of deaths compared to gun deaths in your country.
    That's not really a fair comparison. There's a lot more other races than Middle Easterners. If it was about equal, it'd probably be 50/50. Just look at Israel for example. Israel deals with terrorists attacks almost everyday.
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    That's not really a fair comparison. There's a lot more other races than Middle Easterners. If it was about equal, it'd probably be 50/50.
    There was no mention of race anywhere in the text you quoted. I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

It is a fair comparison. Gun deaths about 100 times the deaths of terrorism, and yet there's "war on terrorism" (the boogeyman to reduce the personal liberties discussed) instead of war on guns.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-04-03 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    10000 refugees in a 36 million people country? Yeah I'd say they will.
    Plus... correct me if Im wrong but... are we talking about private sponsorship applications?
    A high amount of refugees here are private sponsor ships. My relatives have a family living in their basement.

There was no mention of race anywhere in the text you quoted. I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

It is a fair comparison. Gun deaths about 100 times the deaths of terrorism, and yet there's "war on terrorism" (the boogeyman to reduce the personal liberties discussed) instead of war on guns.
    No it is not a fair comparison.
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

Since it's working out so well in Europe, might as well hastily let them in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had an idea for the syrians, but im sure it would be too harsh for most people to comprehend, but it basically involved dedicating a chunk of Saskatchewan way, way, up in the north. We'd build a city for them, complete with housing and infrastructure and jobs and utilities. They would be shipped directly to it, allowed to live, work, play, whatever. They would even be allowed to police themselves (with canadian govt oversight).

The catch is that they wouldnt be allowed to leave, unless to go back to their home country. There would be no landing in Toronto and slipping away to live where they wanted. They would be so far from Canadian civilization that trying to escape this New Syria would make the dessert look like a fun time. This would also reduce the stuff you hear happening in Sweden/Germany/ect to damn near zero. If they want to tear each other apart like they did back home, the Canadian people would also be spared the atrocities they seem to consider normal.

Sure it would be cold and desolate and some would draw comparisons to a WWII concentration camp, and the costs would be astronomical, but at least they would have their families and be free from the war they are running from.

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    No it is not a fair comparison.
    Care to add something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialpath View Post
    Middle class SJW's looking after refugees is fine by me.

Just don't push your agenda on to working class people who dont have the facilities.

Thanks.
    Working class should do their part too.

Good for canada.

i would argue there shouldn't be a "war" on either concept just common sense,reasoned precautions to prevent as many such incidents as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Working class should do their part too.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Why is that?
    Why not? /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    Probably because it doesn't actually have anything to do with gun shows. The "gun show loophole" is just a private sale. The same kind of legal private sale you can do in your home or a parking lot. I'm not sure what the hard on is with gun shows almost all the people actually selling at them are FFL dealers who are required to run background checks.

You can say private sales are an issues and should be illegal. It would be impossible to regulate it though and be a waste of time. An easier and much more effective way of handling it would be to require all firearm sales, including private, to require a background check be performed AND make the background check system publicly accessible and free to use. If it's free and can be accessed from a website pretty much anyone who isn't going to be selling the gun illegally to criminals would use it.
    this is what i thought myself but i wasn't sure enough to comment in an informed way. A free and publicly accessible background system for private sales may be a decent solution or at least another layer of prevention. Again nothing can prevent every unlawful transaction or person with criminal intent but i'm not willing to sell away my liberty in exchange for non existant "guarantees"

Deleted
    They will process the refugees into maple syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Why not? /10char
    Why should people who barely have enough money to support themselves and their families have to pay for the problems of others?

A high amount of refugees here are private sponsor ships. My relatives have a family living in their basement.
    technically there are no such thing as "private" sponsorships. private citizens may be volunteering to provide services,but immigration of any kind is a national/Federal issue and the Canadian Govt. and these people are making decisions that affect the whole of society and every person in the host country. To try and pass this off as a transaction between volunteers/refugees only is disingenuous and inaccurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Why is that?
    They have free time. They can volunteer. This is what Canada is about.

They have free time. They can volunteer. This is what Canada is about.
    last time i checked you as an individual do not get to decide what other people are "about". you do not also get to decide what other human beings have "free time" to contribute to. Unless of course you are in favor of an authoritarian dictatorship and not a democracy as Canada purports to be.