Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think you would and have said that and less than an hour ago.
    Those aren't contradicting statements, I said "it's not traditional abandonware" I still think it's a bit silly to enforce a law on something that causes no harm.

If you want to discuss something, I'm willing to, but if you are going to try to railroad me I don't see how that's constructive. Also you missed 2/3rds of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Tbh there are people that play WoD and will play Legion... I'm not sure we can really talk about functioning brains. :P
    "Someone likes something I don't so clearly their brains aren't functioning!".

Most of us are smart enough to decide for ourselves. And most of the people that don't enjoy WoW atm, are smart enough to then do something else with their time if that holds more value to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I 100% agree they legally have the right to do that. I'm just saying why?
    Because trademarks get deactivated if not defended. They don't have a choice. They have to defend it if they want to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
    I honestly feel bad for blizzard I think the original designers no longer have control over what they design. its a corporation now.
    Honestly, I think it always was. But it was the sort of corporation that you could reason with, that would appear to have, for the lack of a better word, "feelings". Now it's like fucking HAL 9000. My avatar, ironically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    Better live in the glorious past than in the shitty present. Now go and enjoy your crap version of the game.
    You mad m8?

What a life you must have. Lol...

Those aren't contradicting statements, I said "it's not traditional abandonware" I still think it's a bit silly to enforce a law on something that causes no harm.
    You don't get any vote on whether there's harm.

I 100% agree they legally have the right to do that. I'm just saying why?

I have the right to call the police when Girl Scouts for trespassing when they knock on my door to sell me cookies, but they aren't harming anyone, so I'm not going to call the cops.
    Because a business not defending their legal rights could have bad consequenses in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Blame Sodapoppin.
    Well other streamers are also now banking on the shutdown, and some will move to other servers and start garnering them the same attention so more than likely we'll see more shutdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    Because trademarks get deactivated if not defended. They don't have a choice. They have to defend it if they want to keep it.
    Again no court would rule in favor of nostralius.

And please stop editing half of my posts out.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Because a business not defending their legal rights could have bad consequenses in the future.
    Again no court would rule in favor of nostralius.

Quote Originally Posted by towelliee View Post
    Once again speculation no factual proof. I mean I can same for FFXIV right? Most of their population is Japan and botters but I have no damn proof of that.
    Actually, there is PROOF of China market share from 2011, China had 3.2 million US had 3 million. Look it up yourself. If you cut that in half to date, evenly. That would be 1.6 million Chinese, and 1.5 million US players.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/WoW_population_by_country

A large portion of Chinese are gold farmers. I'm not making this up. Your move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account

If you want to discuss something, I'm willing to, but if you are going to try to railroad me I don't see how that's constructive. Also you missed 2/3rds of my post.
    It's no form of abandonware at all, traditional or otherwise unless you want me to accept that putting up a private server for 6.1 is justified because it's abandonware. After all you can't buy or play 6.1 any longer on retail.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Well other streamers are also now banking on the shutdown, and some will move to other servers and start garnering them the same attention so more than likely we'll see more shutdowns.
    This 100%. I am actually looking for one but I'm pretty sure if they get hyped up it will attract attention from Blizzard. I think only way we can stay on a server and preserve our invested time or more so YOU ALLS invested time is legacy. Which is years away.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    You don't get any vote on whether there's harm.
    Who does it harm? Until you can provide that, you are just appealing to authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Honestly, I think it always was. But it was the sort of corporation that you could reason with, that would appear to have, for the lack of a better word, "feelings". Now it's like fucking HAL 9000. My avatar, ironically.
    Are you pulling my leg? Communication with the community was a rare thing in the past, much more so than now. At best you could get out of them was something like: "paladins are healers, ret is a leveling spec (fuck you)".

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Actually, there is PROOF of China market share from 2011, China had 3.2 million US had 3 million. Look it up yourself. If you cut that in half to date, evenly. That would be 1.6 million Chinese, and 1.5 million US players.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/WoW_population_by_country

A large portion of Chinese are gold farmers. I'm not making this up. Your move.
    Why are we cutting in half? What facts do you have it is half? 2011? This is 2016. Your....move?
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    i saw people blacklist and still managed to get past the blacklist.
    hell i got blacklisted over a mess up, had to change my character name, then i was no longer blacklisted because the old name was gone.
    How did you change your name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I like what Az/Heelsvsbabyface said...

"If Blizzard said, 'folks, this is how it was back then. So don't come crying to us about balance or how hard it is.' I could get behind them doing that."

Gotta say, I agree.

I think Blizzard could make money hosting old game-version servers. Charge people a bit less than $15 a month and offer those servers. No updating them, just restarts etc. Keep them at certain patches and let people experience them whenever they want. People will cycle in and out, I am sure.
    And within a hour or two from servers go live post would popup with OMG i pay money fix this this and this and patch this.

Kinda funny that some people cry about the lack of stuff to do and content and at the same time demand a vanilla server with even less to do and ALOT less content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    No shit sherlock. But the ones buying into the hype sung a different tune when it laucnhed. It was to be another WoW killer lol. It was practically vanilla WoW 2.0 to them.
    Then what the hell is your point you're trying to make? Why would Nostalrius be as popular as it is, and why would such an uproar happen when it's shutting down, if people would just not play it? Have you played it? Have you seen how many people play it? Everyone I talked to either 1) still plays retail (like me), or 2) played retail but quit because of the game direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's no form of abandonware at all, traditional or otherwise unless you want me to accept that putting up a private server for 6.1 is justified because it's abandonware. After all you can't buy or play 6.1 any longer on retail.
    No that is the current expansion which they are still making money off of, I understand you disagree with me, but nitpicking down to x.x patch numbers seems a bit petty.

The statement you still haven't actually replied to, is the fact that vanilla wow is not legally available to be owned or played in and of itself.

And the funny thing is I'm playing devils advocate here, I don't support PServers, and I think vanilla wow is the worst WoW xpac that has ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I would speculate that if anything, they were aiming more at former customers/players with the whole "turn back the clock! TBC 2.0!" nonsense that was rolling around a few years ago for WoD. Only time I recall them trying to appeal to new players would be with the old world revamp for Cata, which made questing easier/more boring/however one wants to spin it. But that change was definitely aimed at new players.

Spending money/time on bringing in another team just to build up a old legacy version of the game has impact on the bottom line, which would effect the live/current game.
    Lore / setting wise maybe, but only with WoD and Legion. Gameplay / design philosophy wise, each expansion they've moved farther and farther from the original playerbase they cattered to. Yes, all the accessibility has many wonderful benefits for many people, but it also changed a lot how the game plays and feels.

No I'll not say that "current WoW is easy" and "Vanilla was challenging", overall current WoW allows players who choose so to pursuit a much greater challenge than before. But it is a fact that most of the leveling and world content is mostly faceroll now, when it was tightly tuned in Vanilla. And no this is not a matter of simply players being noobs back then vs pro now, there is a huge difference in the numbers the players' characters can produce now vs what they could before, even without any heirloom - A lot of classes couldn't fight more than 1, maybe 2 mobs of the same level at the same time. Mobs more than 3~4 levels above you could kill you in just a few hits. Rares could kill groups of 3 people of its level, so on and on. These are mere examples, don't nitpick the numbers, but if you compare the numbers you'll see it's true.

The game used to provide a much better sense of character progression, world, RPG elements, among other things. Wether it's good or bad that it changed is a completly personal opinion that depends entirely on the person's taste. Imo it comes down to this: Vanilla was a good MMORPG. Current WoW is a good action/adventure RPG with multiplayer features. Wether one game is better than the other depends if you like better a MMORPG (in the oldschool sense of it, at least) or a ARPG.

And just to reinforce, I don't mean in any way Vanilla > current WoW. As I said, it depends on each person's taste. Personally I like both in different ways. I like current WoW for the endgame, for the accessibility of it (wouldn't have time to raid if it was vanilla-like, most likely), the raiding and just checking out new content with my friends. But I also like Vanilla for its character progression, immersion and better sense of a living, complete world.

Now what one could argue wether or not these changes were made specifically to try and appeal to a broader audience just for more profit, or simply because it's truly the direction the designers wanted to take the game in. One can only speculate if the game would be doing better or worse had they not changed it so much, we'll never know unless we can somehow peek into an alternate universe where Blizz continued cattering to Vanilla's target audience. One can even argue that was the only way to go for many reasons. But I think it's undeniable that the game changed so much it's original target audience isn't cattered to anymore.

I don't think bringing in another team for legacy realms would necessarily effect the live game. I'm not entirely sure how Blizzard works in that respect, but I'm pretty sure at least if they were able to make a case for it being profitable / finnancially justifiable, they wouldn't have a problem getting extra money for it without reducing the budget for the other things.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-04-07 at 09:22 PM.