Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    So explain how those dungeons and raids I've run dozens (if not hundreds) of times will suddenly be new to me on one of these theoretical official legacy servers.
    You have to hit your head on something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I also have to say that I find it hilarious how all the created accounts for Nos are being used as a collective PROOF (in some people's minds) that there's a demand for Classic servers...
    Nostralius only proved one thing:

There IS NOT enough demand for a "vanilla server".

In one year it managed to attract a measly 150K people. As a FREE server. Also, these 150K active accounts were spread over 2 realm types: vanilla and TBC.
    A PAID server would get far less people on it. And even less after 2-3 years when the "glorious vanilla content" gets old like any other content gets old.

So.. hmm.. yeah. Thank you Nostralius for proving Blizzards assessment that vanilla servers would not be worth the effort to create and maintain them.

Sorry for all the people stuck in the past but life goes on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Wrath and cata both did.

It still amazes me how vanilla, tbc and wrath managed to gain subs at the end of their cycle. I remember the moaning of the content draught at end of wrath and yet they gained players. It must really have scratched an itch at the time.

Just wondering, how many players are there on a current server today? I just seem to see a lot of people saying 13k spread over two servers isn't enough to keep a server open. So how many is needed to keep a server open today on retail wow?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    That's a strawman. Nice to know you stick to logical fallacies so I know to distance myself from anything you could possibly say.
    What is a strawman? Because WoW DID make 800 million dollars on an off year. Or 800k accounts on Nos proving that 800k or MILLIONS of people want Classic servers is a strawman? Well duh, it's still the argument that Nos advocates are making...

And you may distance yourself all you like, it's no skin off my back. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    meanwhile on blizzard's fb page... https://www.facebook.com/Blizzard/posts_to_page/
    Its kinda cute that they think anyone of consequence at Blizzard will read those.

...How is it NEW content? Here I thought people praise Classic and TBC for providing OLD content, OLD feel and OLD mechanics...those dungeons and raids have been in the game for years and those who saw them back when they were current are not likely to have forgotten them...
    The problem is you're expecting consistency from people on a bad nostalgia trip.

Quote Originally Posted by MaraStarfury View Post
    Hmmm not sure about that. Think about who plays private servers. It's mostly massive world of warcraft fans who probably preferred the way things were. Blizzard has just come along and pissed them off and probably ensured a lot of them wont ever resub again(hence all the anger).

Instead of shutting it down and pissing off a lot of people they should of just made their game far far superior so that people wont want to play the servers.
    Exactly, people shitting on the wrong people. Instead of Blizzard creating a market of dissent of it's product. It should be making such a superior product that has no rivals, even if that rival is it's past self.

No one, and I mean no one should WANT to have Vanilla server, yet here we are.. it isn't Nostalgia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    Its kinda cute that they think anyone of consequence at Blizzard will read those.
    Social Media Manager is sitting there like

A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    It still amazes me how vanilla, tbc and wrath managed to gain subs at the end of their cycle. I remember the moaning of the content draught at end of wrath and yet they gained players. It must really have scratched an itch at the time.
    I mean, i started raiding at the end of wrath, and I really liked ruby sanctum.

we went in once, one shotted it, got our achievement, and never went back. Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Exactly, people shitting on the wrong people. Instead of Blizzard creating a market of dissent of it's product. It should be making such a superior product that has no rivals, even if that rival is it's past self.

No one, and I mean no one should WANT to have Vanilla server, yet here we are.. it isn't Nostalgia.
    There would always be some, no matter how good retail was. You're pretty much asking absolute perfection that appeals equally to many different people. A bit naive I must say.

Now, this is a very sensitive topic to talk about on right now, but here's my input.

1.Do Blizzard have all the rights to shut down Nost?
    -Yes, WoW is their brand/mark and it's been used without any sort of permission from them and they're free to do as they will.

2.Are they doing the right thing?
    -Well, given what I've said few words before, yes, Private Servers are illegal by the TOS (given those things should be read but who even reads them), and them shutting down a private server is no big surprise. They could go on a rampage and sue lots of Private Servers out there, I wouldn't mind and I do believe that many of you wouldn't mind either.

3.Will this bring anything in attention to them?
    -It should. You see, it isn't about this private server in special, it is about the demand of the community, what the players want. The sole idea of this amount of players giving interest towards a 1.12.1 server is ridiculous and Blizzard needs to see that aspect of this situation and realize "Yo, THIS amount of players have been dedicating time towards this server, why don't we do the same if that's what they search?"

4.What made Nost special amongst the thousands of other Private Servers?
    -Obviously, many will say "ohhhh you know, it's free, they're dodging the subscription fee" and all that type of stuff. First of all, if the players even wanted to dodge the subscription fee, wouldn't they be on a WoD Private Server instead? Doesn't that make some sense? The players from Nost did not dodge the subscription fee, but Blizzard's ignorance towards the idea of Legacy servers, and many other players do the same on different private servers, for example, those who enjoyed WotLK will be found on a PS with WotLK Xpac. Why Nost became so popular on the other side is that it was a Private Server, so free, offering the challenging environment from all the way back in Vanilla, with a community driven system, where the GMs/Devs actually listened to their playerbase and of course, being rather bug-free. The Devs did a rather great and extraordinary job on creating of this server.

Yes, I played on Nost, truly out of curiosity, and I got to say, I got surprised by how good it turned out to be. I expected it to be a piece of shit given some PSs there that are complete crap, but hey, it got me completely unarmed, so I spent a couple of days leveling there and actually managed to INTERACT with players, who've surprisingly turned out to be not as toxic as expected. I got to experience Vanilla WoW as I remember it from over 11 years ago, and it got me that good nostalgia feeling, given the server's name. This did not stop me from going on retail, do the weekly round of raids and interact with my guildies, it didn't. It was simply something to turn my attention towards when I had that feeling of recreating the days of the past, and the community there truly impressed me, something that no other MMORPG or any other online game managed to do so since BC/WotLK. This should be proof that the server didn't threat Blizzard's current playerbase of the game. The server didn't run on a donation system, the GMs/Devs did not ask for money, they did it out of passion for Vanilla WoW.

In conclusion, Nost in all seriosity can be shut down, the use of WoW without Blizzard's permission is illegal, but Blizzard needs to realize what this means. The players do want legacy servers. How many of you wouldn't want to go and check back WotLK and the madness from Wintergrasp? BC and the World PvP situation in Hellfire Peninsula and the rest of Outlands, Vanilla with the countless hours spent in AV, heck, even Cataclysm for some other reason. The playerbase drop on retail is given by the fact that players do not have what to do nowadays in WoD, which is understandable, but if Blizz were to open legacy servers, think how much the subscription numbers would rise up again. And take it like this: Hell, you buy Legion, you get to the end-game of the expansion where, let's say, you literally don't have anything to do, and then you simply get bored inside the current world, so you decide to try something else more challenging. Without Legacy servers, people will go towards other games, let's say now Blizzard games: Overwatch, Hearthstone, HoTS and spend more time on there. During this time they might choose to cancel subscription towards WoW, which is reasonable, why pay for something that you have nothing to do in, but, with Legacy servers, some people may get the idea of "Hey, let's check how WoW was back then?" and jump on one of the Legacy servers, where they have what to do. This doesn't hurt Blizzard's income, it freaking brings it to a new peak. They could charge a separate sub fee for Legacy servers or add an overfee above their current price and do it like 20 dollars a month to play on Legacy servers aswell. I would honestly pay up to 50 bucks, even more, just to experience good old times, the old times that got me addicted to this game. Again, Legacy servers wouldn't hurt the games progress in future expansions, because whoever is a sane person can realize that "Hey, there's new content out there, why not check it? And if I don't like it, then I'm back to the Legacy servers".

Thank you for reading this and I hope you do understand, Legacy servers are something that players have demanded since post-WotLK, and hell, that's more than 7 years ago. Blizzard needs to take them in consideration and don't go on with the "You think you need that, but you actually don't" excuse. That's a pretty lame way to say no to something. Sorry if my english wasn't on point, i'm not a native speaker, but I hope that I've made my statement solid regarding this case. And for those salty people out there who are all like: "Oh, Nost players just want to live in the past, how pathetic", tell me, wouldn't YOU love to experience that moment of the game that got you addicted to it?

P.S. Too much salt is bad for your health.
    Last edited by CoReRoded; 2016-04-07 at 10:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Nostralius only proved one thing:

There IS NOT enough demand for a "vanilla server".

In one year it managed to attract a measly 150K people. As a FREE server. Also, these 150K active accounts were spread over 2 realm types: vanilla and TBC.
    A PAID server would get far less people on it. And even less after 2-3 years when the "glorious vanilla content" gets old like any other content gets old.

So.. hmm.. yeah. Thank you Nostralius for proving Blizzards assessment that vanilla servers would not be worth the effort to create and maintain them.

Sorry for all the people stuck in the past but life goes on.
    Your post shows ignorance. There is huge marketing behind Wow. Huge awareness. In all these posts (here, reddit and gamespot) you see people that didn't even know about Nostalrius. With proper marketing, it could be very popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    A PAID server would get far less people on it.
    I never play on private servers because I'm afraid I'd lose my characters because of shit like this, but if there was an official server made by Blizzard I'd definitely play there, and I'd also pay for it. And Blizzard would also have the power to advertise it on their websites and in their other games. Gaining more players than Nostalrius, a 3rd party fan made pirated server, wouldn't be a problem.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And 800k accounts created on Nos all stayed and stuck, amirite?

And China holding 51% of the sub base doesn't face me, not sure why it faces you people. WoW made 800 million dollars on a bad year, that's all I need to hear really.
    Apparently, when making an argument that Blizz is lying to their investors (which would be a good way to lose said investors), China is uninhabited. All accounts from China are bots Blizz made and keeps subscribed to falsify sub reports.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    I never play on private servers because I'm afraid I'd lose my characters because of shit like this, but if there was an official server made by Blizzard I'd definitely play there, and I'd also pay for it. And Blizzard would also have the power to advertise it on their websites and in their other games. Gaining more players than Nostalrius, a 3rd party fan made pirated server, wouldn't be a problem.
    ^ THIS.

Private servers are ticking time bombs. Everything and anything you do can be wiped out *snaps fingers* like that. Having Blizzard support it would give me peace of mind.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

What is a strawman? Because WoW DID make 800 million dollars on an off year. Or 800k accounts on Nos proving that 800k or MILLIONS of people want Classic servers is a strawman? Well duh, it's still the argument that Nos advocates are making...

And you may distance yourself all you like, it's no skin off my back. ^^
    It's a strawman, because Im not talking about stayed accounts, and you attack the money position. Now if you want to talk about US market share in accounts or EU. Something that affects us. Then sure... I am saying Blizzard is inflating sub numbers, I said nothing about Nos, as you did. Then you go on about money.. I don't know. Can you see how you went in a COMPLETE different direction then what I was talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Your post shows ignorance. There is huge marketing behind Wow. Huge awareness. In all these posts (here, reddit and gamespot) you see people that didn't even know about Nostalrius. With proper marketing, it could be very popular.
    WoD was very popular.... for a couple of months. Marketing is only an illusion not a cure.

Deleted
    blizzard could make this a win win win, but they choose to make everyone loose.

support these guys who make old content servers, require sub-fee to play on them in return.
    blizz get a little more income for allowing others to do what they cba to do themselves.
    the old content server guys get a job at blizzard.
    subs get the opportunity to play old content, without having to "break the rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    really amazed how people react to this...

Nos and other Private servers were ripping wow design which is illegal. Blizzard have every right to shut them down.

End of story. can't believe this got to 230 pages
    Maybe you should have gone a bit deeper than just the thread title and peeked at some of the discussions going on instead of just shitposting.

People discussing the legality of this action are minimal. Now.. morally..

Quote Originally Posted by Itzatez View Post
    Windows NT is a Architecture following a conceptual design of layers. It doesn't mean that the core of windows 3.1 is the same of windows 10. They just follow the same architectural design.

But even so, they are trademarked as different software. That's not happening in WoW. World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor are the same legally.
    The core of Windows 10 is built upon the same core as was used in Windows NT 3.1. It has gone through major revisions, as they generally bump it up to match their current release version, but it's still fundamentally the same.
    They recently discovered a 17 year old bug in the kernel that affected all 32bit versions of Windows.

Microsoft also just has one trademark for their operating system, which is Windows, except for Vista which they did trademark separately. Same as they just have Windows Server, instead of Windows 2003, 2008, 2012 etc.

Blizzard on the other hand do actually trademark each product individually.