Aah, welcome to MMO champion, where people are butthurt when something illegal is shut down. It's quite a hard concept to grasp it seems...

Now all we need:

"omg it's because of sexual harrassment/eye raping me!"
    "omg it's because of the people that eat meat IM A VEGAN!"
    "omg it's because of Obamacare"
    "omg we need to follow sarkeesian/clinton blindly, they are our gods and saviours"

did I miss anything?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crruor View Post
    I think it all boils down to many many people believing that the current wow is just inferior to all the older versions of it, and thus would prefer to play the older versions.

The game is better right now, but it feels worse, a lot worse to be honest.

The feeling of a epic giant world to be discovered just is missing, its more exciting to lvl to 10 on a private server then to do something on retail right now.
    Because nothing is secret anymore. Everything gets data mined and spoiled months before the content can be played. There is no mystery, because we know everything. When there's no mystery, the game world feels smaller.

It's entirely our own fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Aah, welcome to MMO champion, where people are butthurt when something illegal is shut down. It's quite a hard concept to grasp it seems...

Now all we need:

"omg we need to follow sarkeesian/clinton blindly, they are our gods and saviours"

did I miss anything?
    Don't forget wannabe morally superior posters being unable to have even the slightest of sympathy of someone else's thought of the game(play).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post

Now all we need:

did I miss anything?
    A lotta people have no concept of legal rights or wrongs because to them piracy is normal. It's the stereotypical spoiled millennial, that just wants wants wants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I'm not arguing Vanilla was perfect. I'm arguing people want to play it,
    Its funny how many people on this thread just want to bash on Vanilla... private servers really has nothing to do with how good or bad vanilla was, really.

Clearly there are people out there who want to play vanilla and are prepared to play on non-legal realms... why cant people accept that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Blizzard should enact phase 2 of its master plan: demand a user list and ban all users on said list from Battlenet itself. Because I wanna see this thread hit 1,000 pages.
    I'd actually be behind this..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    Don't forget wannabe morally superior posters being unable to have even the slightest of sympathy of someone else's thought of the game(play).
    Sympathy for gameplay? I don't think I have a violin small enough for that statement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Its funny how many people on this thread just want to bash on Vanilla... private servers really has nothing to do with how good or bad vailla was, really.

Clearly there are people out there who want to play vanilla and are prepared to play on non-legal realms... why cant people accept that?
    Clearly there are people out there who wants certain items, and are prepared to steal them from shops... Why can't people accept that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Blizzard should enact phase 2 of its master plan: demand a user list and ban all users on said list from Battlenet itself. Because I wanna see this thread hit 1,000 pages.
    I'm not sure much will be achieved, as the people who spend their time there probably won't care about the retail version anymore anyway?

Morally, both private server and its players are not wrong, because Blizzard doesn't offer Vanilla service.

Legally, private server is legal as long as it doesn't store any WoW files.
    (The client is illegal because it has WoW files.)

However, when a large evil corporation sends a horde of lawyers at you, even you are legal, you cannot afford the court fee.
    After all, this private server makes no money.
    It is a free service to "help" other people.

This is why we always feel sorry for the "little" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Clearly there are people out there who wants certain items, and are prepared to steal them from shops... Why can't people accept that?
    Theft =/= piracy. But that's semantics.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Sympathy for gameplay? I don't think I have a violin small enough for that statement.
    That's okay, take this one:

Now how hard is it to show a tiiiiiny bit of sympathy for the fact that some people really would like to relive an old game that is no longer provided anymore? In a way that offers no financial benefit to anyone at all?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rimm View Post
    Wow, so many ppl here are happy because of this what happend. That server was no harm to anyone.
    I disagree. I think that private servers do a great deal to harm the game itself and its community. Firstly, by stealing customers away from the actual game, and secondly by dividing the community. I have seen so many comments by people fighting on forums using the fact that they are playing on a private server to fuel their arguments.

Honestly, if the server community on Nostalrius had just shut up and not tried to persuade people to leave/boycott WoW in favour of playing for free on their Vanilla server, it's highly unlikely that they would drawn the kind of attention they did to it, and it would still be up and running today.

Quote Originally Posted by Calligenia View Post
    Yeah.. The server was never really a competitor to retail. Maybe if retail was a better product...
    Yet retail ain't getting shut down, is it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Morally, both private server and its players are not wrong, because Blizzard doesn't offer Vanilla service.

Legally, private server is legal as long as it doesn't store any WoW files.
    (The client is illegal because it has WoW files.)

However, when a large evil corporation sends a horde of lawyers at you, even you are legal, you cannot afford the court fee.
    After all, this private server makes no money.
    It is a free service to "help" other people.

This is why we always feel sorry for the "little" guy.
    I personally couldn't care less about the little guy, he did something illegal, he deserves to be punished. That is the only moral way you can look at the situation. To let someone go who commited a crime. is highly immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    That's okay, take this one:

Now how hard is it to show a tiiiiiny bit of sympathy for the fact that some people really would like to relive an old game that is no longer provided anymore? In a way that offers no financial benefit to anyone at all?
    No fun for anyone! I'm a mindless blizzard white knight and don't want people to enjoy something that isn't around anymore because it somehow affects me and how I play the game and because I have the opinion that that era of the game wasn't very good.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    A lotta people have no concept of legal rights or wrongs because to them piracy is normal. It's the stereotypical spoiled millennial, that just wants wants wants.
    And yet here you are, judging people and categorizing them based solely on a decision they made, without paying any mind to the context.

Quote Originally Posted by rimm View Post
    Wow, so many ppl here are happy because of this what happend. That server was no harm to anyone.
    Only people with miserable lifes are happy when something bad happen to others.
    These are people who are simply deniers of the sorry state of the game right now.

Don't be fooled, Nostalrius was a better game than WoW has been in probably 5 years, maybe more.

I enjoyed Vanilla more then and I enjoy it more now. People who say that the game was objectively worse and that nostalgia clouds judgement are simply ignorant of what made WoW a great game in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Stealing?

What exactly is being stolen?

Basically NOTHING!!!!

These guys have used old code to set up their own private servers at their own expense. The only factor that can be considered stealing is if they charge players for using their private realm. And they dont do that.

It can be argued that they have used the 'intellectual property' of Blizzard, but using and stealing are two totally different things in law. Blizzard totally has the right to get these sites closed down, i agree with you there. But the question is whether this is acceptable behaviour by Blizzard... because afterall these guys are Wow fans right?

Basically there has been no theft here, the law says so... get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Its funny how many people on this thread just want to bash on Vanilla... private servers really has nothing to do with how good or bad vanilla was, really.

Then they must be prepared if the server is shutdown the next day because it's non-legal and stop whining about it.