Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    And you're sure that they haven't discussed it at all? Given how much Nost shutting down has blown up? Care to fill me in on the secrets?

Face it they've lost a SUBSTANTIAL amount of players at the start of WoD, Enough to stop reporting subscriber numbers.. They'll be listening to all avenues trying to improve the numbers, They're not some all powerful omnipotent company that never makes mistakes or bad decisions.
    You might be new then. It's not the first time when something like this happens, we had a big scandal back in 2008-2010 when a bun of PSes were shut down, blizz even sued people cuz of it and won. It was everywhere. Was it infamous toxicWoW, Chaos or something else? I dun remember

Blizz didn't care back then, Blizz dun care now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Why is this topic still open?

Don't you people understand that blizzard does what they want.

It is their product their IP.
    Therefor nothing any of you thinks matters.

If they wanted legacy servers they would of opened them long ago.
    They still might do some day but this day isn't today.

Grow up already and stop trowing tantrums because you didn't get it your way.
    I suggest you start reading this thread at the beginning. But I will summarize for you:

We know it is illegal. We know Blizzard is in their legal right to take action against the server and the company that hosts it.

We know that, as a company, it is Blizzard's decision to progress the game the way they feel is best.

We know that sanctioning a private server based off of a previous version of a game can potentially be beneficial.

What we are trying to do is find a way to change Blizzard's mind and allowing a legacy server(s) to exist or to allow (with rules and regulations), certain private servers to continue to develop and grow to allow their (Blizzard's) fans to enjoy the game they created long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This thread only exists because Blizzard is involved with the issue and people want to talk about it. There will be multiple points-of-view and as long as people stay within the site rules, particularly the rules that apply to future iterations of illegal servers or existing private servers, that's fine.
    Saying the nost players are "raging about how Blizzard took their toy away" in a post edit isn't talking about the issue, It's generalizing a whole lot of people
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    150k FREE accounts does not mean there would be a huge PAYING demand for these servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Yes, but what would that 150k be if Vanilla servers cost a monthly sub?
    It shows that there is a real demand for it. More than for most other f2p mmos in the market.

What would be a good retention rate? What's the 'industry standard' for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    What we are trying to do is find a way to change Blizzard's mind and allowing a legacy server(s) to exist or to allow (with rules and regulations), certain private servers to continue to develop and grow to allow their (Blizzard's) fans to enjoy the game they created long ago.
    When there are no more expansions in development, and nothing further to spend development hours on in the regular retail game, I would support legacy servers. Not a moment before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    And some of us would rather not see Blizzard devote even 1 minute of time/resources to trying to do such a thing. We want EVERYONE at Blizz working on Legion and beyond. We really don't need Legion work + following expansion and then diverting X people to maintain legacy servers.

Saying the nost players are "raging about how Blizzard took their toy away" in a post edit isn't talking about the issue, It's generalizing a whole lot of people
    And yet, that doesn't make her post any less accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    And some of us would rather not see Blizzard devote even 1 minute of time/resources to trying to do such a thing. We want EVERYONE at Blizz working on Legion and beyond. We really don't need Legion work + following expansion and then diverting X people to maintain legacy servers.
    Exactly.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    You might be new then. It's not the first time when something like this happens, we had a big scandal back in 2008-2010 when a bun of PSes were shut down, blizz even sued people cuz of it and won. It was everywhere. Was it infamous toxicWoW, Chaos or something else? I dun remember

Blizz didn't care back then, Blizz dun care now.
    Blizz didn't lose half their WoW subscribers that expansion either
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Yes. Yes they would.
    Ok, awesome. You seem to be the guy with all the answers.
    I'm not sure they would - since they had really hard time donating.
    I'm thinking most of the Nost players were just freeloaders and wouldn't stay for very long if they had to pay a normal sub.

But I guess we'll wait and see for the day when Blizzard creates a vanilla service.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    It shows that there is a real demand for it. More than for most other f2p mmos in the market.
    It shows that there is a demand for a free product. That demand might be quite watered down once they are required to shell out at least 15 bucks a month. It would be like one day having free ice cream comes and 150k people rush over to get them (look at places like Chick-Fil-A and others when they do free giveaway promotions). Then look at that place the next day when the ice cream is a dollar a cone. Not quite the same demand is there?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This thread only exists because Blizzard is involved with the issue and people want to talk about it.
    "To save our people".

The truth eventually dawns on us all.

There's a sun that takes all the shattered ones. I hope Blizzard still love redemption stories.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    150k active accounts made partly by piggy-back riding on the Warcraft fame. Maybe that's why 'many f2p MMOs' don't achieve that number, or because those f2p MMOs may also be 'p2w', etc...
    So what? It is WoW we are talking about. Your post doesn't make any sense.

Again: 800k total accounts, 150k active accounts. Assuming each account translates into an unique, individual player, we get 18.75% retention rate in one year. Those are not good numbers.
    Those are great numbers considering that:
    - Lack of advertising. Vast majority of players didn't know about Nost.
    - Questionable legality, which scares some players. Also after hearing about all keylogging/hacking on official servers many people don't trust anything unofficial.

Let me rephrase that.

What does you argument add to the discussion? I'm finding it hard to think of anything
    I'll walk you through it:

a) Pro-'classic server' crowd claims there is a high demand for classic servers, and use Nostalrius' published numbers are evidence;
    b) I point out the numbers indicate a low retention rate, 18.75%;
    c) Pro-'classic server' crowd then claims 150k active players is a great achievement for a free server;
    d) Among other things, I also point out that 150k active accounts does not automatically translate into 150k active players, which would bring the retention rate of players even lower.

Basically, it's just to show them that boasting Nostalrius' last published numbers won't be doing them any favors, and claiming that they indicate a clear interest for 'classic servers', when you have a low retention rate of just 18.75% (that's when assume each account = one player).

Dear Blizzard community

We are so sorry we have never listened to our customer base, but now its our time to strike back and make WOW AWESOME again!

Scrapping all new continents from all new expansions , if we want to show you some cool landscape art well add it to a raid , or a new featured play-park (just scenery for anyone willing to enjoy)
    Scrapping flying mounts, they destroyed the community
    Scrapping name change and server transfer, ( you mess up, steal, cheat or be rude, don't worry, the whole server will know who you are) community ftw
    Scrapping all modes of transport other than flight masters, summoning stones and ground mounts
    No lvling after 60 the true Azerothian lvl
    Keeping just AV AB and WSG for Battlegrounds ( AV will be changed back to how it was)
    Keeping Arena
    Keeping New Models
    Keeping Transmog
    Keep all new races
    Scrapping Talent system including glyphs and any other nonsense we added and just having vanilla talents
    All raids from current expansions will have entrances or portal npc's placed somewhere in Azeroth
    All raids on expansions will be rotated in and out annually
    All raids on expansions will also be subject to their own loot set
    Adding cool GMs who will be going about Azeroth and generally enhance your passion for the game with their sets of unique powers, spawning mobs, group teleportation etc
    New expansions will be our commitment to making Azeroth better and better over the years with added raid content which is mostly what you all pay for anyway maybe even a race or 2 if your lucky

By the Light of Elune

Blizzard Customer Service

Although the above is in jest, deep down I wish it was true. Wow lost its community with flying mounts and server transfers/name changes. I never played on Nost server, but I find it absolutely disgusting how the users of the server are being spoken about.

Blizz didn't lose half their WoW subscribers that expansion either
    But Blizz dun care, as I said earlier in one of these threads, they didn't care about losing 5M people, they just that it's a cyclical thingy and it's normal, and you want them to care about ~100K hypothetical customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    And yet, that doesn't make her post any less accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

/10char
    And yet, It does.

There's a whole lot of arguments and approaches from people who want to play Vanilla servers, It's not just raging (There's quite a bit of raging from the against side, Too).

Generalizing isn't adding anything to the discussion whatsoever
    Yeah.

Deleted
    I'll walk you through it:

a) Pro-'classic server' crowd claims there is a high demand for classic servers, and use Nostalrius' published numbers are evidence;
    b) I point out the numbers indicate a low retention rate, 18.75%;
    c) Pro-'classic server' crowd then claims 150k active players is a great achievement for a free server;
    d) Among other things, I also point out that 150k active accounts does not automatically translate into 150k active players, which would bring the retention rate of players even lower.

Basically, it's just to show them that boasting Nostalrius' last published numbers won't be doing them any favors, and claiming that they indicate a clear interest for 'classic servers', when you have a low retention rate of just 18.75% (that's when assume each account = one player).
    What is a good retention rate? What is the number on normal games? F2p games? WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    "To save our people".

The truth eventually dawns on us all.

There's a sun that takes all the shattered ones. I hope Blizzard still love redemption stories.
    What does that even mean? Blizzard having a Vanilla server is not a redemption story. Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    But Blizz dun care, as I said earlier in one of these threads, they didn't care about losing 5M people, they just that it's a cyclical thingy and it's normal, and you want them to care about ~100K hypothetical customers.
    I'd like to know your source on them not caring, I'm fairly certain no company would simply overlook half their customizers disappearing.
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Those are great numbers considering that:
    - Lack of advertising. Vast majority of players didn't know about Nost.
    - Questionable legality, which scares some players. Also after hearing about all keylogging/hacking on official servers many people don't trust anything unofficial.
    And then you consider it was free and those numbers don't look so hot.