Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    No reasonable person ever says that. You're being stupid and trying to strawman.
    and insulting me proves you're right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepower View Post
    And scientists are always right?
    no, they aren't. in fact the modus operandi is doing experiments in order to prove past assumptions wrong, and replace them with new ones. that's what science does, it creates knowledge.
    Climate Scientist have failed to demostrate that global warming is NOT happening. in fact all of their experiments, all of their data points towards AGW
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Big oil funding research is bad but government funding research is fine amirite. One side's motive is profit and the other's is having more excuses to control your property and tax you into oblivion.

I'll take scientists' claims more seriously when they stop making doomsday predictions every decade which don't pan out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Big oil funding research is bad but government funding research is fine amirite. One side's motive is profit and the other's is having more excuses to control your property and tax you into oblivion.

I'll take scientists' claims more seriously when they stop making doomsday predictions every decade which don't pan out.
    Who's making the predictions? The scientists? Or the media who takes scientific predictions and runs them to extremes to sell articles?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Not all scientists share the same opinion. Before the holocene interglacial the earths temperature was 8 degrees warmer than it is now. So again how much are we actually contributing? https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/01/...er-than-today/

Also consensus arguments are stupid. It never silences an authoritarian government. So the premise that if 90, 30, 150 percent of scientists agree doesn't fly with everyone. Because the authoritarian followers aren't interested in anyone else's opinion but the people they follow. So like I said this is one big circle jerk.
    Scientific consensus isn't a bunch of men taking a vote.

It's a bunch of men (or women) repeating the experiments of their peers and verifying their work. When 97% of scientists determine global warming is true, that means that they've been exhaustively testing it over and over and over and over again and getting the same results: human activity is increasing earth's average global temperature.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Who's making the predictions? The scientists? Or the media who takes scientific predictions and runs them to extremes to sell articles?

- - - Updated - - -

Scientific consensus isn't a bunch of men taking a vote.

It's a bunch of men (or women) repeating the experiments of their peers and verifying their work. When 97% of scientists determine global warming is true, that means that they've been exhaustively testing it over and over and over and over again and getting the same results: human activity is increasing earth's average global temperature.
    I'm saying psychologically it doesn't pan out. So keep trying to spin consensus arguments into everyone should care when it doesn't work that way. It's a fallacy.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-04-15 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepower View Post
    and insulting me proves you're right?
    No, that's just pointing out how stupid you are.

- - - Updated - - -

That might make sense if government funded researched worked like that, but it doesn't so you just looked stupid and ignorant.

are you out of your mind? what the hell are you talking about?
    big oil has serious conflicts of interest with the global warming, because their industry is a major contributor. if we were to take real actions, they'll quickly dissapear. that's why Exxon, while knowing that AGW happened (in the 80s) started a smear campaign, in order to maintain their profits
    for the cost of every living thing

EDIT: can someone give me a series of temperature means since the 60s or 70s?
    for an quick excel regression
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2016-04-16 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's not an exactly a rare belief. People often hate the evil outgroup. Surely those outgroupers wouldn't go around being so outgroup if they weren't evil, right?
    Honestly I don't.

You can discuss technicalities, like pace or the accuracy of projection models (future trends), but actually doubting our impact on the climate requires willful ignorance or stupidity akin to that of creationists, anti vaxxers, moon hoaxers and homeopathy loons.

I much prefer the option of believing that it's just moneyed interests replicating the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center...r_Air_Research. This at least makes sense to me.

You're ignorant about statistics. Shut up, and take a basic stat class.
    I get stats.
    It's quite comical how offended you are, rofl.
    Can't even take a joke bruh. Your friends must totes enjoy your company.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah? The the confidence within this calculation is super accurate.
    It's just a stupid thing to say 98% of scientists blah blah blah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    97% of the scientists that belong to their club all agree.
    Now that is misleading from what was said, wasn't it? Because they straight up said 97% of scientists, not scientists of their "club."
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That's what I believe and so do millions of others.
    Its ok Hooked. It doesn't matter what you believe, you can't change facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Of course you're not going to understand if you've been brainwashed to believe the government has your best interests in mind.

There are places in this country where you aren't even allowed to collect rainwater on your own property.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that's just pointing out how stupid you are.

- - - Updated - - -

That might make sense if government funded researched worked like that, but it doesn't so you just looked stupid and ignorant.
    Why doesn't it work like that? And why are you being so edgy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/11/...a-real-survey/

Thats 1854 out of how many?

There are lies, there are damned lies and there the kind of idiotic statistics that claim that 98% of people believe something when they interview 100 people out of 23 million
    I bet 1853 of them work at the IPCC. Nothing like manufacturing job security!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

This isn't really how government funding works. The NSF and other science funding organizations don't have any real power over anyone. So, yeah, government funded research is basically fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This isn't really how government funding works. The NSF and other science funding organizations don't have any real power over anyone. So, yeah, government funded research is basically fine.
    Right, because you say so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    big oil has serious conflicts of interest with the global warming, because their industry is a major contributor. if we were to take real actions, they'll quickly dissapear. that's why Exxon, while knowing that AGW happened (in the 80s) started a smear campaign, in order to maintain their profits
    for the cost of every living thing

EDIT: can someone give me a series of temperature means since the 60s or 70s?
    for an quick excel regression
    He is talking about the doomsday predictions that never seem to happen. You know, the DISASTER IN 10 YEARS flawed climate models. Or 20 years. Now that there are enough chumps they are up to 50 to 60 years. They got you in the boat, now to keep you there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Because your conspiracy theory of BIG GUBBERMENT taking over your life is just that, a conspiracy.
    Last edited by Ahhdurr; 2016-04-16 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I bet 1853 of them work at the IPCC. Nothing like manufacturing job security!
    There are only like 30 something people working in the IPCC. The authors and editors of the reports are volunteer scientists that only get travel reimbursement iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Of course you're not going to understand if you've been brainwashed to believe the government has your best interests in mind.

There are places in this country where you aren't even allowed to collect rainwater on your own property.
    and you're brainwashed into thinking that private companies have the best interest of humanity in their heads?

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. What power, exactly, do you think the NSF has over people? And how is there a direct incentive for them to fund research to increase that putative power?

I didn't have an NSF grant, but when I did research (in immunology), I did get grants from the NIH, DoD, and a couple private organizations. At no point was there any suggestion or implication that research was to be focused on increasing anyone's power.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well it's the currently valid paradigm that was shoved down our throats the last umm 20 years?
    So ofc most people will accept it.

Personally I don't believe that GW is caused solely by Mankind's interference, given that our sun goes through cycles of varying activity too.
    But I do agree that we probably contributed to it.
    NO ONE, has ever said it is done solely by mankind. Is mankind the leading cause? You can bet your sweet ass it is. And we KNOW its not the sun. Hell the sun's activity is actually on a DOWNWARD trend right now.
    http://www.yaleclimateconnections.or...s-not-the-sun/
    “In the past four decades at least — we’ve measured the Sun’s brightness since 1978, using very precise space-based instruments”– Lean explains. “And the overall trend has been downwards by a few tenths of a percent.”

Yet at the same time, the global surface temperature has increased by about 1.1⁰F (0.6⁰C). If the Sun’s irradiance were the dominant force driving changes to our climate, the planet should be experiencing a slight cooling.