Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    everyone is going to be like that at some point if we get that far. its light vs void, at some point were all gonna be pseudo paladins
    I play a Shadow Priest, so I'm hoping the conflict isn't as black and white as it seems.

I don't want to be forced into being a Light-worshiper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    it would be far better if he uses Void against the Void.
    Fight Void with Void would be retarded. Light and Void are not like the other types of magic, they're capable of emotionally influence people. The power of the Void is the capability to drag people into a state of unspeakable agony and utter madness, madness caused by the unfathomable all-consuming nature of such energy, which causes a mortal's mind to psychologically "break" at the full realization of its vastness and nature (Lovecrafty enough, right?).

TL;TR you can't hope to fuck the Void with Void, because the creatures coming from the Void are a full embodiment of a power you, a mere mortal, can barely attempt to harness without losing your mind over it. Heck, look what happened with Ner'zhul and his Shadowmoon clan in WoD. You can't apply the same "fight fire with fire" logic used with the Burning Legion, because demons are not an embodiment of Fel or anything, they merely exploit those magics for their own agendas, all Illidan did was doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    I play a Shadow Priest, so I'm hoping the conflict isn't as black and white as it seems.

I don't want to be forced into being a Light-worshiper.
    If Void would truly be the "ultimate enemy" then yeah, you would basically have to respec.

What I hope instead is that we don't have to fight the Void at all, or at least it shouldn't be our sole concern. Void magic should have its uses either on demons or even Light-based creatures who can represent a threat to our existence as much as the Void ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    You can't apply the same "fight fire with fire" logic used with the Burning Legion, because demons are not an embodiment of Fel or anything, they merely exploit those magics for their own agendas, all Illidan did was doing the same.

If Void would truly be the "ultimate enemy" then yeah, you would basically have to respec.

What I hope instead is that we don't have to fight the Void at all, or at least it shouldn't be our sole concern. Void magic should have its uses either on demons or even Light-based creatures who can represent a threat to our existence as much as the Void ones.
    Well, Void magic has also been shown to help preserve the mind from corrupting or degenerative effects, so it's actually very useful when dealing with dark corrupting powers of any sort.

However, it doesn't make sense for the Void to be the "ultimate enemy" in the lore, since it's been suggested that a balance is important and outright stated that the Light and Void cannot exist without one another. The Sha'tar even say that Void creatures serve a vital role in the universe, so even eradicating them would probably be a bad idea in the long run.

It makes me wonder exactly what anyone hopes to accomplish by fighting this great war. Do we just say "Fuck the balance" and try to forge a Light-dominated reality despite the consequences? Are we simply just pushing an unnatural Void invasion back, and simply contributing to a status quo of eternal conflict?

Is there actually even a way to end a war between Light and Void that wouldn't seriously fuck things up?

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can really erase the Void. Even if you kill all of the Void Lords.

The Void and the Light need each other. Yes. But that only applies to a degree. To REALLY erradicate The Void and threat the balance as we know it you need to eliminate not only the Void Lords. But the realm of Void itself. Every thing, every single thing.

Kill the Void Lords so they don't destroy the universe isn't really the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    I don't think you can really erase the Void. Even if you kill all of the Void Lords.

The Void and the Light need each other. Yes. But that only applies to a degree. To REALLY erradicate The Void and threat the balance as we know it you need to eliminate not only the Void Lords. But the realm of Void itself. Every thing, every single thing.

Kill the Void Lords so they don't destroy the universe isn't really the same.
    Well, A'dal said that the creatures of the Void are vital too. Killing the Void Lords seems like it might have some serious consequences down the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it when one of my fan theories gets confirmed. In this case, it was Kil'Jaedin manipulating us into fighting Illidan rather than him.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    Anybody has that part of the novel where Maiev encounters a Naaru and says that his power could erase mountains?
    Here you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Illidan
    It was some time before she confronted the naaru. She was grateful. It gave her a chance to become accustomed to its awesome presence. A’dal shimmered like a chained sun. Unleashed, the naaru’s power might destroy cities or level mountains. The full blast of its attention focused on her when she stepped forward to greet it. It was all she could do to prevent herself from kneeling. She kept her head high and glanced straight into its light. Maiev felt as if the naaru was able to read her the way she might read an unfurled scroll. There was something about this being that made her feel like little more than a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    I read it and it still sucks as hell.it would be far better if he uses Void against the Void.people are basically saying that Illidan should have been a priest like Tyrande so that he can effectively slay demons.
    You don't need to be a paladin or a priest in order to wield the Light, neither would it make you one if you are to use the Light.

While using Void to fight against Void might sound awesome, it might not be as practical. Void magic might be effective against minor void creatures, but would it still be as effective against Void Lords who are made of pure void energy? While Blizzard stopped making creatures being resistant to its major component (i.e: Ragnaros was being resistant to fire) due to its effect on raid requirement, lore-wise I wouldn't be surprised if Void Lords are more resistant against Shadow / Void energy, or at least being more vulnerable to Holy which is its antithesis. It's one thing if he couldn't, but why wouldn't Illidan want to use the more effective power if he could? Fighting demons is another case - most important demons are still fleshy beings made of Fel. They weren't literally Fel energy coalesced into a form, thus Fel would still be effective on them as it does on everything else. If the demons were more vulnerable to Arcane than Fel and Sargeras never blessed Illidan, I won't be surprised if he'd have remained a socerer instead of switching to Fel.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    It makes me wonder exactly what anyone hopes to accomplish by fighting this great war. Do we just say "Fuck the balance" and try to forge a Light-dominated reality despite the consequences? Are we simply just pushing an unnatural Void invasion back, and simply contributing to a status quo of eternal conflict?

Is there actually even a way to end a war between Light and Void that wouldn't seriously fuck things up?
    I don't think we'd end the conflict between Light and Void permanently. The Void as an area / cosmic force would still remain. Technically, we aren't going to fight the Void itself. We are just only going to kill the creatures spawned from the it - which probably won't effect the Void much just like a Naaru dying doesn't weaken the Light. Over time, maybe void energies will spawn more void lords and those newly spawned void lords may have their own plans, but it's in the (hopefully) far future. For now, we are - just as you said - just pushing an invasion of the Void creature back to keep the status quo between the Light and the Void.

I don't even see us as Light worshipers. The "good" (supposedly) classes (Paladin, Priest) might be, but the more questionable classes (Shadow Priest, Rogue, Warlock) could just be fighting the Void because it threaten us. The Naaru realized that we could be useful and empowered us, but we'd still be fighting against the void creatures with our own, albeit strengthened, power. Mind Flay, for example, wouldn't turn into a face melting light ray :P
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Heya, quick question to anyone who has the novel. Is the Reliquary of Souls explained?
    Nope, i just finished the novel, and found no mention of it...

Ye's and no. It was what pulled and bound the Shade of Akama. But it wasn't explained it's origins or how it worked.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Ye's and no. It was what pulled and bound the Shade of Akama. But it wasn't explained it's origins or how it worked.
    I don't think there was any indication, both in game and in the book, that the Reliquary of Souls was what pulled and bound the Shade. In the book it just said that Illidan used "unspeakable sorcery" to do so. It should make more sense for the Reliquary of Souls to be a byproduct created by Illidan's soul siphon / portal ritual IMO.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Reliquary of Souls isn't mentioned, either directly or indirectly. The information gleaned from the Warlock Green Fire quest-chain seems to point that the Reliquary was a kind of replacement Well of Eternity on Outland - a means for Illidan to break his demonic servants connection to the Legion by providing them a "clean" energy source separate from the Legion. The Black Harvest posit that the Reliquary was how Illidan managed to keep the alliance of his Dreadlords, Shivarra, and various other demon minions. Illidan doesn't mention it, and the creation of the Shade of Akama isn't explained except for saying that Illidan did it to Akama with his own sorcerous powers.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Let's just become priest/paladin. All other classes are not relevant now. GG.

- - - Updated - - -

What if you were destined to be a great champion for good, but your life took a dark and horrific path that scarred you like the horrors that you witnessed and were inflicted on you, but by some miracle, your soul, and your spirit retained it's will to end the source of the evil and it's desire as well. To save also, but you knew of no other way than what you had experienced. So horrific was your experience that the brightest of hopes you were aware off - like the sorcerous magics or your people, or the nature magics of your world or those of Elune that you had witnessed so far paled in comparisson to the strength and might of the power you had witnessed first hand.

Knowing that nothing in your world as far as you had seen could match this force, - would you not have been driven down to take the only path of power you were sure had any chance of beating this immesaurable evil? i.e. fight their fire with their fire essentially.

And that's exactly what Illidan does. The book re-inforces what WotA strongly hints at, and has been a theme around Illidan all along - in fact I think tbh, he was rushed out as a boss because we had to have someone to fight and Outland was the expansion they were going for etc and at that time blizzard was just throwing all their characters as raid boss fodder, but you can tell by the story in WC3, wrath of the ancients, that where Illidan was concerned it was not as it seemed.

How does a Holy Priestess like Tyrande go to such extremes to free someone like him, and yet despite his acts they don't slay him, and you understand that too, becuase you see his motivation is from a good place, just htat his methods are too horrific to let run rampant.

Anyway the book shows you this very well, it explains how great the force of the legion is, and why almost nobody gets the danger they are truly in, knowing this is real, you also understand exactly why Illidan went down this path, even though he did some messed up things, based on the extent of his knowledge, someone with a heart as big as his and a desire to save his people would have had no other choice - remember he does not know the extent of the power of the light or elune or greater naaru etc, he's not exposed to that, he's only been exposed to the magic of the night elves, druidsm, and the amounts of power Elune's followers display at that time, which were massive enough to control the world un paralleled but once he met with Sargeras his mind, was clear would not be enough, no, he felt the only thing great enough to beat them was using their own power, and he was right as far as he knew, even though he was wrong by what we know now, if Malfurion or Tyrande and the other night elves had seen what he saw, they may have made the same choices.

In fact the book presents you with that very scenario in other night elves and blood elves who see a measure of what he sees, and it shows you even that realtiy is mind breaking to them. It also helps you to understand the extent of the lure of power that seduced the likes of 85% of the Eredar population, and about 5% of the Elven population including Azshara of all people, very enticing, but for all her power and strength, she is flawed by her ambition and is a slave to power, a strength which the majority of her people show as they resist the demons. It actually shows the Elves as rather remarkable in saying no.

Illidan feels his brother and his love a bit naiive for trusting in their power, which he thinks is no where near enough, but he also knows they have not seen what he has seen too, what stings about his imprisonment is that they don't trust what he says, they don't believe him when he tells them, they instead think he has been utterly corrupted by the demons and nothing he says is true - well to an extent, and the book again shows a fuller version of their doubt in the thoughts of Maiev, she is as paranoid as Illidan, and in a similar but much greater way than Malfurion/Tyrande and the other Night elves, she does not believe any word Illidan says, and you see her hatred for the demons impairs her judgement and discernment in a degree that is not present in Malfurion and Tyrande - which in a sense explains why they didn't kill him but imprisoned him..

yet you understand that they for all their wisdom and knowledge lacked the foresight he had, or they would not have imprisoned him, just disagreed with him or at worse exiled him, but they did not see what he saw, and the book makes it clear it makes all the difference.
    Illidan went on his path because he could not learn Druidism. He just couldn't grasp the concept. It's not that he saw anything ahead of everyone. Illidan was extremely jaelous of Malfurion's growth while he struggled to find his path. He believed that he could achieve power that transcend Malfurion from the legion. It was Malfurion who saw everything ahead of everyone in WotA. Illidan was imprisoned for his crimes. Nothing more or less. He almost killed the entire squad of Jarod at the top of Hyjal. Malfurion would never make the same choice Illidan made because Mal doesn't crave for power. It was a wonder he didn't just kill Illidan outright after he met him again after being betrayed at the lair of Neltharion.

At the top of Hyjal, Malfurion didn't kill Illidan because he was his brother. That was just pure bias. He rarely sentences anyone to death. He imprisoned Illidan. He exiled the highborne. He forced the druids of the pack into eternal slumber.

This new book just presents Illidan's view which is not necessary right. Illidan isn't pure evil but that doesn't mean he is someone who is better than everyone and has been right all along. The whole "Do what must be done no matter the cost" is not always the answer when you can't evaluate all options and cost/benefit rationally.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-04-17 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Let's just become priest/paladin. All other classes are not relevant now. GG.

- - - Updated - - -

Illidan went on his path because he could not learn Druidism. He just couldn't grasp the concept. It's not that he saw anything ahead of everyone. Illidan was extremely jaelous of Malfurion's growth while he struggled to find his path. He believed that he could achieve power that transcend Malfurion from the legion. It was Malfurion who saw everything ahead of everyone in WotA. Illidan was imprisoned for his crimes. Nothing more or less. He almost killed the entire squad of Jarod at the top of Hyjal. Malfurion would never make the same choice Illidan made because Mal doesn't crave for power. It was a wonder he didn't just kill Illidan outright after he met him again after being betrayed at the lair of Neltharion.

At the top of Hyjal, Malfurion didn't kill Illidan because he was his brother. That was just pure bias. He rarely sentences anyone to death. He imprisoned Illidan. He exiled the highborne. He forced the druids of the pack into eternal slumber.

This new book just presents Illidan's view which is not necessary right. Illidan isn't pure evil but that doesn't mean he is someone who is better than everyone and has been right all along. The whole "Do what must be done no matter the cost" is not always the answer when you can't evaluate all options and cost/benefit rationally.
    WotA was not about Illidan, we don't even go into Illidan's head there (well maybe a couple of times in Demon Soul), we tend to observe his reactions from someone else's point of view, then guess what might be going through his head.

Illidan the novel goes into Illidan's head, it then forms a framework for Illidan's character that supercedest he information in WotA, but imo, it explains it, makes more sense.

Sure Illidan has negative attributes like everyone else, he gets jealous and sometimes he lashes out, but in Illidan the novel you get a much better sense of what characterizes him and it does properly explain his heroics by shoiwng a side to him that was not given in sufficeint depth in either WotA or WC3.

You need to read the book if you haven't already, you get to see what really happened to Illidan that WotA does not explain. I have played both Legion (currently in the Alpha) and read the book and it makes a lot of sense, Illidan is very much the hero, and you get to understand him better in WotA too. Sure he may not have understoood druidism, he didn't understand the light that much, he loved arcane, and felt it was the strongest magic until he met with Sargeras' might. the book shows you based on what Illidanknew.

If may have been different if he had seen the tru scope of druidsm and the world itself, an actual titan, or the light through the Order of Elune, but it appear that he had his own path, and his story is not yet finished.

I also find it kinda good that we see the advantage Illidan has for being 10,000 years older than ohter Dhs. I love that about the book. One of my biggest irks about the portrayal of the night elves in WoW is that we don't see a good reflection of the advantage their age and abilties should give them playing out in the narrative.

In Illidan the novel, you get to see that 10,000 years has given him a huge advantage over the current generation of other races, same with Maiev - and i like how it is done. In a way that doesn't make him overpowered but still pretty much powerful.

I've often felt that the way they have written them most of the time in game quests etc, doesn't distinguish them in the way their historical narrative presents them. I essentially expect a lot more from people who've:

1. Lived in the golden age of magic and civilization - to which the current age is like a post apocalyptic error
    2. Lived over 10,000 years - and so accumulated a lot of knowledge, wisdom, skills, - they've had many life times to learn to be simultaenously rogues, warriors, preists, druids, hunters, mages all rolled in one
    3. Knowledge of the world and ancient lore - they work with dragons, demi-gods etc - they would or should be the foremost experts on all things ancient, including the lore of the keepers etc. This needs to show when you're amingst them. if you want other races to be at the centre that's fine, just don't involve any of htem, becuase if they're around, they should be the ones to be providing the knoweldge, cos they would know

10,000 yers is a long time to be around - and to come off as ignorant as they're turning out to be or naiive etc, seems odd, and this is something that Illidan doens't quite make the same degree of mistake, you see it mattering that Illidan has had 10,000 years to ponder, think, work on degrees of spell lore, hone his mind sharper etc etc, in fact because of his long years it allows himj to do things well beyond his groupies and the best amongst them.. that is how I expect the ancient night elves to be like.

And yes, i think that when you want night elves to be a bit more ordinary, you dont' have to make them lose their mimortality or anything like that, you just use young night elves instead. In fact i feel that's what htey should have done with the wohle alliance thing, it should have been a bunch of enthusiastic, keen youthful night elves wnating to make a difference and getting all swept up in the petty conflicts of horde and alliance, something rather well beneath their far older leaders - and that group join the alliance. They and their younger leaders like Staghelm shoudl have been the ones in impeteousness of youth going off and growing Teldrassil, planting Dranssus, meanwhile tyrande should have been in Moonglade or Hyjal or Broken Isles, with the majority of ancients still neutral to both factions and doing their things.
    Last edited by Mace; 2016-04-17 at 03:48 PM.

if youre fighting you need weapons, few weapons are stronger than illidan apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    WotA was not about Illidan, we don't even go into Illidan's head there, we tend to observe his reactions from someone else's point of view, then guess what might be going through his head.

Illidan the novel goes into Illidan's head, it then forms a framework for Illidan's character that supercedest he information in WotA, but imo, it explains it, makes more sense.

Sure Illidan has negative attributes like everyone else, he gets jealous and sometimes he lashes out, but in Illidan the novel you get a much better sense of what characterizes him and it does properly explain his heroics by shoiwng a side to him that was not given in sufficeint depth in either WotA or WC3.

You need to read the book if you haven't already, you get to see what really happened to Illidan that WotA does not explain. I have played both Legion (currently in the Alpha) and read the book and it makes a lot of sense, Illidan is very much the hero, and you get to understand him better in WotA too. Sure he may not have understoood druidism, he didn't understand the light that much, he loved arcane, and felt it was the strongest magic until he met with Sargeras' might. the book shows you based on what Illidanknew.

If may have been different if he had seen the tru scope of druidsm and the world itself, an actual titan, or the light through the Order of Elune, but it appear that he had his own path, and his story is not yet finished.

I also find it kinda good that we see the advantage Illidan has for being 10,000 years older than ohter Dhs. I love that about the book. One of my biggest irks about the portrayal of the night elves in WoW is that we don't see a good reflection of the advantage their age and abilties should give them playing out in the narrative.

In Illidan the novel, you get to see that 10,000 years has given him a huge advantage over the current generation of other races, same with Maiev - and i like how it is done. In a way that doesn't make him overpowered but still pretty much powerful.

I've often felt that the way they have written them most of the time in game quests etc, doesn't distinguish them in the way their historical narrative presents them. I essentially expect a lot more from people who've:

1. Lived in the golden age of magic and civilization - to which the current age is like a post apocalyptic error
    2. Lived over 10,000 years - and so accumulated a lot of knowledge, wisdom, skills, - they've had many life times to learn to be simultaenously rogues, warriors, preists, druids, hunters, mages all rolled in one
    3. Knowledge of the world and ancient lore - they work with dragons, demi-gods etc - they would or should be the foremost experts on all things ancient, including the lore of the keepers etc. This needs to show when you're amingst them. if you want other races to be at the centre that's fine, just don't involve any of htem, becuase if they're around, they should be the ones to be providing the knoweldge, cos they would know

10,000 yers is a long time to be around - and to come off as ignorant as they're turning out to be or naiive etc, seems odd, and this is something that Illidan doens't quite make the same degree of mistake, you see it mattering that Illidan has had 10,000 years to ponder, think, work on degrees of spell lore, hone his mind sharper etc etc, in fact because of his long years it allows himj to do things well beyond his groupies and the best amongst them.. that is how I expect the ancient night elves to be like.

And yes, i think that when you want night elves to be a bit more ordinary, you dont' have to make them lose their mimortality or anything like that, you just use young night elves instead. In fact i feel that's what htey should have done with the wohle alliance thing, it should have been a bunch of enthusiastic, keen youthful night elves wnating to make a difference and getting all swept up in the petty conflicts of horde and alliance, something rather well beneath their far older leaders - and that group join the alliance. They and their younger leaders like Staghelm shoudl have been the ones in impeteousness of youth going off and growing Teldrassil, planting Dranssus, meanwhile tyrande should have been in Moonglade or Hyjal or Broken Isles, with the majority of ancients still neutral to both factions and doing their things.
    WotA did went into Illidan's head just like it went into a lot of people's head. It just didn't focus on Illidan alone. The chronicle confirmed the part I said once again. He did want to defeat the legion but at that time for different reason from why Malfurion wanted to defeat the legion. If this new book is not consistent with this then it just retcon the chronicle.

WotA did went into Illidan's head just like it went into a lot of people's head. It just didn't focus on Illidan alone. The chronicle confirmed the part I said once again. He did want to defeat the legion but at that time for different reason from why Malfurion wanted to defeat the legion. If this new book is not consistent with this then it just retcon the chronicle.
    yeah.. I edited my original post, it did, in the Demon Soul, but I'm saying that Illidan the novel, properly now fleshes out Illidan that makes the gives you the correct perspective that was more hidden or less easily discernable.

It doesn't retcon anything, it gives you the depth you need to understand Illidan better, and it will shift your perspective accordingly. Sometimes people tend to see things in one way, and that's not always the correct way, often enough when a narrative isn't particularly clear, this is where a discussion can arise with opposing views, that would have been the case for Illidan prior to the novel, the novel now would clarify the truth about some of the things about Illidan, and give them a better frame of reference to understand who he truly is.

it's not a black and white character situation, Illidan has some very dark shades, but his heart is in the right place and you get to understand why someone with that heart for good and justice would go as far as he did, it makes sense, doesn't make it right, but it makes sense, an d you see a hero in it despite the awful things he does.

Sure Malfurion saw more clearly and wisely at that about things, still Malfurion didn't see what Illidan saw, and theefore you udnerstand why he can't grasp his brothers actions..yet Malfurion doesn't kill his borhter and even works with him, because he sense a hero still in him and sees his heart even though he doesn't trust his actions. And yet you know that Illidan given what he knows, needs to do what he has done.. Whiles he should have seen the bigger part of the power of druidism and the light, well he's still an elf if a powerful one and has limitations like us all he has to wrestle with, in time the vision points to a time when he would break through that which limited him from seeing hte greater scope of the light and things like druidsm, we know that in time. But we get to understand how he is now, and it's very hard to still hate him, even if you would shake your head at some of the way he goes about doing certain thing and say. "Illidan, nooo !!"

- - - Updated - - -

Incdientally, I now fully agree with him giving the Elves back the font of power - they would have been better off usiing it and mastering it, they only stopped using it to prevent the legion's return, but Druidism worked wonders them for them too, to a degree they may not have acheived if they had also had the arcane a part of their culture.

But he was right, the legion did return anyway, and would do so eventually, they are better off haivng all the power they could get .. and yes he did not see the strength of druidsm nor the light, but he was right about the strength of the arcane. You also see that Maiev is an extremist in terms of night elven views on magic. She is wrong about magic, she calls it twisting, and that's a prejudice and not a truth, as we find out from chronicles. Seems like the night elves adopted a fear of the arcane they should not have done, and quite contrary to their pre-sundering disposition. Whiles it wasn't all of them, nor were all so convinced of its wrogness as Maiev is, still it was a flawed judgement.

They would have been stronger with it, but you do admire their dedication, committment, tenacity to uphold the vigil and carry the work they did for 10,000 years. They've recently only started using magic again, and are lucky that they have the best mortal mages in the Shend'relar out of hiding to teach them as Cataclysm shows a phenomenal aptitude for the arcane.

Lets examine. It's only a few weeks into the cataclysm, and already the highborne have trained enough initiates to take part in a military campaign - you see the terrible fear in the Blood elf and Lake Menaar at the prospect of the night elves once more accepting their heritage. Remember not all highborne went with Darth'remar and remember these are the same elves that produce magical talent of that degree of calibre, they just weren't using it. now they do, their progress is phenomenal,

Yet, they are still novices, as 2 quests prove quite strongly, a blood elf mage is able to turn a construct against the new students, after he gets the horde hero to assassinate their highborne teacher. On her death, the construct is wide open for external tampering.

Forward to the Darnassian base in Azshara, and now you see the more mature students, evidenced by them casting druidic wrath as well as frost bolts - they are also newm again, it's only been a few weeks since the cataclysm, notice also there is no highborne amongst them, their portal is also hijacked, - wanna bet that would not have happened if a highborne, high elf, dranei, human/worgen, gnome or dwarven mage of experience was with them? Off course not, but they are new, and it happens sadly, but it's the rate of progress that's very impressive.

They are having armies of mages - in the matter of a few weeks, comare that to every other new class combo you get - where it's one offs, not armies of the new class, they are taking to magic like a normal person takes to fighting, but better.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've already posted that the new book acknowledges that the younger Illidan -- and even Illidan as he first emerges from prison -- is rash, emo, etc. The book however develops his character so that his time outside and away, with the perspective of some age, has him focusing less on power for power's sake and taking responsibility for his actions rather than blaming it on everyone but himself. And it does it very well and not in a retcon-y way, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    I've already posted that the new book acknowledges that the younger Illidan -- and even Illidan as he first emerges from prison -- is rash, emo, etc. The book however develops his character so that his time outside and away, with the perspective of some age, has him focusing less on power for power's sake and taking responsibility for his actions rather than blaming it on everyone but himself. And it does it very well and not in a retcon-y way, IMO.
    That's good. I just refuse to buy this book because the whole holy Illidan BS.

I barely read it myself.actually,I skipped that part.it is at the end of the book.

7+ Year Old Account
    That is seriously overstated and not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be.