Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    WE DONT NEED 15 PER HOUR MINIMUM WAGE. we need to properly tax these super rich businesses and provide tax deductions for staying under a specific cap of the wage gap and providing healthcare for your employees. food prep, food serving, dish washing, janitorial work, customer service. when you break it all down a higher pay doesn't seem that hard for it. The problem with america is there is no protection against scumbag employers. the idea that if the people dont like it they can go elsewhere does not work.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Raising the minimum wage won't fix anything, the problem is the cost of living is way too high. When I made $15 an hour at my old job I still couldn't afford to rent an apartment as rent was always $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    right now, as a certified 6G welder starting out in my weld shop you can expect to be started at 17.50, so if someone with no education can flip a burger for 15.00 that says 17.50 should go up by quite a bit. so in the long run you are catering to the laziness of McDonald's workers that choose not to pursue a real job but you are injuring those that do and have at the same time.
    The spirit of competition of the Jonesies. Imagine the envy when one finds out that a first year student in CSE gets paid $40/hr as an intern at a company down the road like Expedia for maintaining a B+ average and practically knowing little to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    I always wonder why conservatives is so against helping people on the low end. Being against improving society as a whole while sticking their tongue inn the rich man's sphincter as if it would help them or anything.
    Basic economics isn't a partisan issue.

Doubling the cost of labor will have drastic effects. It will force small businesses to close. It will force existing business, mostly corporations to find ways to automate and cut back on employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Why would the price go up? They didn't go up when the CEO's compensation package went from $1.69M to $7.91M. Are you suggesting that giving Easterbrook a raise of more than six million dollars a year doesn't affect the cost of their shitburgers, but somehow giving their government assistance recipient hourly sleps another $7 an hour is going to cost them so much they'll be forced to pass it off on the customers?

Fine by me. I don't eat their shit anyway, but my taxes go to paying their employees' grocery and medical bills. Let the cost of doing business come out of their profits for a change.
    This is why I wish for a "like" button on these forums.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    I dunno mcdonalds already thinks it can get 1.50 for a mcdouble, 6$ for a burger. Their is no real logic behind their pricing besides trying to gouge you for every penny they can for their horrible and toxic food products
    6 dollars for a burger menue is *really cheap* compared to other countries

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Have you?
    /10
    Yes I was a manager at burgerking before going to college and Dominoes part time later in life to help out a friend. Labor is something you keep an eye on, if you don't make enough sales that day you send people home. When you're a franchise you are buying the supplies, there is no way I can see a franchise paying employees double without raising the prices a good portion, and when you raise prices you make less sales, it's a catch 22

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Why would the price go up? They didn't go up when the CEO's compensation package went from $1.69M to $7.91M. Are you suggesting that giving Easterbrook a raise of more than six million dollars a year doesn't affect the cost of their shitburgers, but somehow giving their government assistance recipient hourly sleps another $7 an hour is going to cost them so much they'll be forced to pass it off on the customers?

Fine by me. I don't eat their shit anyway, but my taxes go to paying their employees' grocery and medical bills. Let the cost of doing business come out of their profits for a change.
    do you even know how a franchise works? the people i have to share my air with, unbelievable.

right now, as a certified 6G welder starting out in my weld shop you can expect to be started at 17.50, so if someone with no education can flip a burger for 15.00 that says 17.50 should go up by quite a bit. so in the long run you are catering to the laziness of McDonald's workers that choose not to pursue a real job but you are injuring those that do and have at the same time.
    You're a certified 6g welder and you START at 17.50, doesnt that piss you off? Artificially suppressing wages for everyone who isnt upper middle management and above has stagnated your wages for years. And because minimum wage has been stuck so fuckin low you actually think youre doing okay.

Who the fuck convinced the american worker that cost of living should go up CONSTANTLY but compensation should stay the same? Americans work harder, for longer than people in tons of other first world countries, and they'll STILL argue that wages shouldn't go up.

Jesus fuck people are stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Basic economics isn't a partisan issue.

Doubling the cost of labor will have drastic effects. It will force small businesses to close. It will force existing business, mostly corporations to find ways to automate and cut back on employees.
    Why hasn't McDonald's already cut back on employees if it can?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Raising the minimum wage won't fix anything, the problem is the cost of living is way too high. When I made $15 an hour at my old job I still couldn't afford to rent an apartment as rent was always $1200.
    1200 is above the national average... did your genius brain ever think of roommates? why does the lowest of paid workers deserve a $1200/month place to themselves?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    because the min wage is acceptable, duh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    do you even know how a franchise works? the people i have to share my air with, unbelievable.
    Then you shouldn't start a franchise, start your own original new and refreshing brand. If you can't, again:YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN BUSSINESS!

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    student in CSE .
    not a hamburger flipper
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Great, so in your world the small, private burger joint that is outstanding is going to close and the only companies that can supposedly absorb the cost of this wage hike are corporate fast food places?

YAY!!!!!

Please, more social liberal policies!

YAY!!!!!

"We're going to stick it these corporations by demanding a pay raise which only they can absorb which will put independent stores out of business, and then these corporations will automate 80% of their business. Everyone will be out of a job except for the lucky few!"

YAY!!!!!!!

We will see a rise in even greater profits for these corporations since they are actually paying less for labor and no competition!

YAY!!!!!!

We really showed those corporations who is the boss!
    It's called "The Free Market". I thought you people were supposed to all in favor of it.

If a small business can't absorb the cost of business, and therefore go out of business, they had no business being in that business to begin with. Make sense?
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    You're a certified 6g welder and you START at 17.50, doesnt that piss you off? Artificially suppressing wages for everyone who isnt upper middle management and above has stagnated your wages for years. And because minimum wage has been stuck so fuckin low you actually think youre doing okay.

Who the fuck convinced the american worker that cost of living should go up CONSTANTLY but compensation should stay the same? Americans work harder, for longer than people in tons of other first world countries, and they'll STILL argue that wages shouldn't go up.

Jesus fuck people are stupid.
    and you want to get paid what the owners does... its laughable. do you also lose money when the owner does? nah its still fuck u pay me time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    10 euros an hour
    taxed with 32%
    21% added taxes on every purchase
    So minimum wage take home is $6.80 an hour after income taxes?

People in America don't pay any taxes if they are under a certain threshold. The USA's Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 an hour. Even if you worked 40 hours a week you would still be below the threshold to pay income taxes.

To top that off, the highest sales tax is 9.45%.

Tell me again about this great utopia of fair wages in Europe when you actually make less?

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    Exactly how much would the price of a McDonald's hamburger cost?
    mathematically proven mcdonalds can double ALL of their employees salaries and pay, from the last fry cook to the CEO. and the average price increase would only be .50-.85 cents. math, how does it work? http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdon...s-money-2013-7

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    maybe 7.25 an hour is cheaper than a kiosk, but 15hr might not be

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    It's called "The Free Market". I thought you people were supposed to all in favor of it.

If a small business can't absorb the cost of business, and therefore go out of business, they had no business being in that business to begin with. Make sense?
    You can't have a "Free Market" and still have the amount of government regulations that are in place.

Maybe go back and read what a "free market" is and you won't appear foolish.

10+ Year Old Account
    A real job? Are you forgetting that there will always be a need for "burger flippers"? Are you forgetting that there is always going to be a need for non-service gruntwork like janitors, filers, cleaners, and the like? That a society can't survive without the "bottom feeders", as some people in the thread put it?

I find it distasteful how a large portion of our society looks down upon people in those positions. Yes, maybe today I make 6 figures, but 17 years ago, before I got into my career, I worked at McDonalds for minimum wage (the one on Morse by Pratt & Western here in Chicago). It wasn't "burger flipping", which by the way, is a misnomer since no one actually flips a burger, but rather a great opportunity to meet interesting people and learn a wide variety of skills that served me well later in life.

You don't know the person behind the counter. You're assuming they're lazy. You're assuming they didn't want a better-paying position somewhere else. You're assuming they did terrible in school. You think that because they're not doing only what you think is a worthwhile job they don't deserve to make a wage that allows them to live without counting every single last penny, without having to decide between dinner tonight and the heating bill, but you'll gladly keep using them to serve you while pretending you're a much better person than them.