Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    15 dollars is below the minimum you get from mcdonalds in my country as an adult above 20ish..... And unless something has drastically changed in the last years in the US then our rent, food, internet etc is all way cheaper by as much as 30-40% even. Yet McDonalds is doing fine, well not really, other food chains with better food for the same money is making them lose popularity lately :P

Regardless, U.S wages compared to living expenses have always made me very confused and sad for your workforce, not a single person from my country except the truly desperate would accept the wages you guys have :P

So yeah, I really agree with you, U.S wages has not kept up with living expenses what so ever.

I mean, if you work 30-38 hours a week here, on one job, no matter the job, you will make enough money to live of and own a decent apartment and be able to go on vacation at least twice a year :P We also have a full week of paid vacation and 25 days total of vacation every year as a bare minimum...

So yeah, when it comes to minimum wage, the U.S are on third world levels atm, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Well not every european country is well off, but 15$ is equivalent or less than minimum here as well depending on the job :P

- - - Updated - - -

If we automate everything, then no they dont need to transfer... Literally software engineering and actual robotic engineers will be all that is needed, besides possibly teachers and healthcare officals depending on how far down the rabbithole we go with that stuff.

At some point it's time to realise that there are less jobs than there is people in need of them :P
    So what do you do? Leave those people hanging? Put them on the government dime? The whole original point of my first post was that this needs to be managed somehow and our current officials are so on that "take" that they are incapable of managing it.

We need some new more intelligent politicians, since the current batch is incapable of dealing with the issues we face.... Oh wait, I know what to do! Promote the current Mc Donalds workers to politicians. Then, at least, we will have smarter people than we currently have... Since our current tier of politicians is just wagging their tails at this issue.....
    Last edited by Alydael; 2016-04-26 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    If you guys actually believe mcdonalds can't afford to pay their workers a lot of money, then just LOL at you. When I was in high school working at costco 10 years ago the max wage was over $20 an hour, average hourly wage on a normal day with a good mix of senior and junior workers was at $19 an hour. Our labour costs were 4% of total costs. 4%
    It's not that I believe they can't afford it. It's that I don't believe they will willingly take a hit to their profit margin. With all the dirt that has come out about companies in recent years about paying sweatshop workers less than a dollar a day (or some pitiful amount of money) to make clothes and other items that the company then turns around and sells it for multiple times the cost it took to make it, I'm surprised people think that nothing will change at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    They ran out of funds a long time ago, why do you think we owe China trillions?
    all countries have debt. that's not what i'm talking about and you know it. now stop being obtuse.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    The same as it would without.
    Then why not raise it to $30/hr? More money is good, yes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    oh look its this bullshit again. why stop at 30$ let's raise it all the way to 100$.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    oh look its this bullshit again. why stop at 30$ let's raise it all the way to 100$.
    Seems logical, imagine the taxes the Gov could rake in!

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter, these workers will all soon be replaced by robots. There are already bars using robot bartenders, by asking for 15$/hr for what is typically a kids job, they just insured that the robots will replace them sooner rather than later.

Mc Donald's is already on the ropes, they can't afford to raise prices or to "eat" this increase. Heck, Burger King had to start selling hot dogs to try and compete. Good luck with this.
    I like the bartenders at my local watering hole for a lot more than just the drinks they make. Good luck getting a robot to give me the same value.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I like the bartenders at my local watering hole for a lot more than just the drinks they make. Good luck getting a robot to give me the same value.
    Oh don't worry Reeve. I'm sure there's a Codsworth ala Fallout 4 robot just around the corner that will do it all.

I mean it's not like the thought that robots are going to do everything hasn't been around since The Jetsons in 1962...and probably before that.

The thing is exactly as you said...People want the human element for reasons besides efficiency.

Human bartender? Ok.

Human cashier at McDonalds? Pffft give me a kiosk...

A robot bartender would be a cool novelty. But after awhile you're just paying money to serve your own drinks somewhere other than your house with the exception that you don't own the machine you use to make the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I don't agree with an article so I will immediately attack its credibility.....mmo posting 101?
    If you've ever attended college or university, you would know what constitutes a source as credible or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems logical, imagine the taxes the Gov could rake in!
    in 50 years maybe. do you know how inflation works son?

So what do you do? Leave those people hanging? Put them on the government dime? The whole original point of my first post was that this needs to be managed somehow and our current officials are so on that "take" that they are incapable of managing it.
    Most 'first world' countries will be forced to switch to a 'basic income' if automation takes up the majority of the jobs.

America will likely have riots, more reality television, and mandatory drugging in the water.

(This said as an American who loves their country, but is very afraid of our future due to inept politicians running everything at the whim of the highest bidder... er... lobbyist.)

10+ Year Old Account
    My caretakers kicked me out of my home because I was gay and now I have to work a full time job at minimum wage just to survive with no hope of ever going back to school because of the time investment and expenses.

I guess according to mmo champion I'm just a lazy dead beat. Privileged assholes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    My caretakers kicked me out of my home because I was gay and now I have to work a full time job at minimum wage just to survive with no hope of ever going back to school because of the time investment and expenses.

I guess according to mmo champion I'm just a lazy dead beat. Privileged assholes.
    Because You can't get a better job then minimum wage without a college degree.. O wait.. you can. I got one and I dropped out of school at 15.
    Stop being lazy.

Even with 15 bucks an hour they're still in poverty level living. Need atleast 20 bucks an hour for middle class. All 15 bucks does is make poverty level more comfortable for about a year or 2 before prices go up again, and then it's back to them struggling.

- - - Updated - - -

People like to throw the word Privileged around. Acting like it's hard to do better for yourself. I have a non-skill job and in november ill be at 16 and in 6 more years ill be at 33 bucks a hour. Difference between me and you I'm willing to do better for myself, I'm willing to do better for myself, i have a high school diploma. There is NOTHING stopping you from getting your GED besides yourself, A Privileged person doesn't need to worry about money, a Privileged person has money given to them. I'm sorry I'm a hard worker who just wants the best for not only myself but for my kids in the future. Stop blaming everyone else for your failures. You decide what you want to do and where you want to go.
    "Last time I checked, Cain didn't bludgeon Abel with a Gameboy; Genghis Khan didn't have an Xbox Live account; and Hitler didn't play Crash Bandicoot." -- Tommy Tallarico

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    Most 'first world' countries will be forced to switch to a 'basic income' if automation takes up the majority of the jobs.

America will likely have riots, more reality television, and mandatory drugging in the water.

(This said as an American who loves their country, but is very afraid of our future due to inept politicians running everything at the whim of the highest bidder... er... lobbyist.)
    Is it bad that the part I fear most is more reality television? Agree with you 100% on the politicians.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't patronize the robot bars- I heard they don't give buybacks and they measure each shot to precisely 1 oz, what the heck is that?

What do you even say? I mean is there any explanation you can give to someone who says such just utter nonsense?

7+ Year Old Account
    Not a lot. Sure, things might increase in cost, but no close to be equal to the raise in pay. People might even be more happy and connected with their job now, since they can actually live on a single waige.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter, these workers will all soon be replaced by robots. There are already bars using robot bartenders, by asking for 15$/hr for what is typically a kids job, they just insured that the robots will replace them sooner rather than later.

Mc Donald's is already on the ropes, they can't afford to raise prices or to "eat" this increase. Heck, Burger King had to start selling hot dogs to try and compete. Good luck with this.

This has already been discussed. Automation is coming to more than just minimum wage jobs. automation isn't coming because people are asking for more wages. it's coming because it's cheaper no matter what. it would be coming even if they weren't asking for 15 an hour. In fact these kiosk were in development before people started asking for more wages.

- - - Updated - - -

They ran out of funds a long time ago, why do you think we owe China trillions?

Because of a over decade long war.