Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Yea. Sorry, my point was simply any argument about banning cigarettes has either:

A. Been tried on other things (see prohibition era)
    B. Is a slippery slope of bullshit

Thats all lol

I am all for smokers being confined to their own quarters or vehicle while smoking. (or an adult bar (example) where notices are clearly posted that it is allowed so those that dislike it can go somewhere else)
    Yeah, I completley agree. As a smoker, I completley agree that we shouldn't smoke around people who don't want to smell it. If you think about it, farts already have that unwritten rule. It's why we usually point at who ever is standing next to us when we fart...

Unless you are Andre the giant:

The funniest story is, we were going to Japan. It is a fourteen hour flight from Atlanta, or New York, or Dallas, just about anywhere, to japan. Andre is sitting in first class, and Andre sitting in first class is like me sitting in coach now, you know, you’re jammed in the seat, you’re not comfortable. So, we get off the plane and now it’s another hour into the city, we check into the hotel and we drop our bags and we are going to go get something to eat. So, I push the button on the elevator and there is Andre, ‘Hey boss, let’s go eat’ and so as it starts down, it seems that this elevator stops on every floor and people just keep getting on. Japan is a very small country, with a lot of people, so what you and I would consider a full elevator, not over there. One thing about the Giant is he doesn’t like to be crowded, and he has just been on a fourteen hour flight, crammed in a little seat in a plane, and now he is in a Japanese hotel in a room that is by our standard normal, but in his standard not, and now, he is in an elevator and people keep getting on. He reaches over and taps me on the shoulder or the leg and I glanced up at him and he winked and he smiled. I said, ‘okay, something is going to happen.’ I’m looking straight ahead and all of a sudden, the Giant cuts the loudest, longest fart I believe I have ever heard in my life. I remember standing there thinking when is it going to end, it was like ‘oh my gosh,’ and it just kept going. The poor guy who is standing directly behind him, which obviously…this guy is right at butt level, so he is getting it full force. All I can tell you is this, when the elevator stopped and the doors opened, those people couldn’t get off the elevator fast enough, it was like the exodus. All you could hear was the Giant going, ‘Ho,ho,ho,ho, ho.” I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe…it was a classic Andre moment…”
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Tough shit, shouldn't have started that selfish disgusting habit in the first place.
    I didn't realize I was complaining, just pointing out that those issues are exacerbated for smokers. It releasing stress and the like, has little to do with smoking, as much as with withdrawals. A person who doesn't smoke, will not get fatter, angrier or stressed out, if they don't smoke. All smoking will do is give them a head ache...
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-04-27 at 12:17 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

This will certainly work out just as well as the alcohol ban we once had!

Let's take another look at what Sanders actually said:
    "And there is almost the question as to why it remains a legal product in this country."
    Oh yeah, NOW I totally understand how people read that as "I firmly believe tobacco and all its byproducts should be outlawed at once, and if elected, I will do everything in my power to see that come to fruition!!!"

In no way whatsoever was he just stating that he's not sure why it was actually legalized in the first place considering its health implications. You could say the same thing about Aspirin (which would never be legalized for over-the-counter use in today's world) and other such things. It's right up there with the original Coca-Cola (which contained cocaine), 7-Up (which contained lithium), and a few other soft drinks and similar products.

I mean, tobacco holds no real benefits to most people, but tons of negatives that affect everyone... even people who don't smoke but have to endure being around them due to its legality.

Either way, he said nothing about banning cigarettes, outlawing tobacco, or any of the other bullshit people in this thread -- and the original poster -- claim he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Vast majority didn't buy that pork in the first place. Just like vast majority do not smoke. The above is meaningless...

My reply is counter to what you have posted previously and a direct response to what you said to me. You bothered to respond with the above, instead of explaining how what I said is contradicted by what I am replying to. To explain why you won't explain, once again... Is meaningless...

Biological effects and get you high are completley different concepts. Perhaps that's the issue with your explanations... You say one thing, but mean something completely different... It has nothing todo with being clever. There is nothing clever in responding to biological effects, when the person speaking means getting you high. Don't blame me for your inability to communicate. It's why your comment about explaining already is meaningless. Who knows, maybe you are using words that do not mean what you intend, which is leading to disagreement.

Clothes on the black market do not get you high, but are still a large enouph industry that it's one of the points a leading presidential candidate points out.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a catch though... Being a smoker and not being able to get smokes, increases stress, rage and obesity, that none smokers do not face.
    Look dude, I'm a fucking pharmacist. I think I know what I'm talking about more than you do. There's a demand for name-brand clothes because there is a status involved with wearing name-brand clothes and they're expensive. Same with sports paraphernalia which is what gets counterfeit lots as well. Again with misconstruing. We're talking about drugs that people consume, and you're trying to apply my logic to clothes?? Do you actually think that's clever or something? Just stop posting, 22,000 posts of garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    This will certainly work out just as well as the alcohol ban we once had!
    Millions of people aren't going to be willing to resort to a life of crime to just get smokes that don't even get you high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    Millions of people aren't going to be willing to resort to a life of crime to just get smokes that don't even get you high.
    Millions of people were willing to resort to slightly underhanded tactics such as brewing at home and drinking out of sight for beer that wasn't even quality.

Millions of people were willing to resort to slightly underhanded tactics such as brewing at home and drinking out of sight for beer that wasn't even quality.
    Not to mention there was a problem with poison being spiked in bootleg booze in prohibition, but yet people kept at it.

Gee I wonder why, maybe because alcohol has this weird effect of getting you fucking drunk? If you think the soccer mom that smokes a pack a day is going to actually resort to a life of crime to get cigarettes, you're delusional. The amount of americans smoking will be cut by 90%. Who cares if criminals want to illegally smoke cigarettes, good for them. The majority of people won't be smoking anymore if smoking is made illegal.
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    and cigarettes have the wonderful effect of giving you and others around you cancer
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and cigarettes have the wonderful effect of giving you and others around you cancer
    And people who consume booze and drive run the risk of killing other people.

I don't smoke, but you guys need to start coming up with better arguments or basically we are going to end up banning anything and everything.

Banning things does not work. History shows us this.

Prohibition. War on Drugs. The List Goes On.

Gee I wonder why, maybe because alcohol has this weird effect of getting you fucking drunk? If you think the soccer mom that smokes a pack a day is going to actually resort to a life of crime to get cigarettes, you're delusional. The amount of americans smoking will be cut by 90%. Who cares if criminals want to illegally smoke cigarettes, good for them. The majority of people won't be smoking anymore if smoking is made illegal.
    If people want it, they will get it. Make their smokes (assembling them from kits or parts from different kits), selling them as different products (piping), or outright just smuggle them through compartments (because cops aren't going to spend ten freaking minutes each and every time they suspect someone of carrying smokes in their car tearing open car seats or popping hoods and then explaining to their superior officers why they weren't watching the streets for people running red lights.

If people want it, they will get it. Make their smokes (assembling them from kits or parts from different kits), selling them as different products (piping), or outright just smuggle them through compartments (because cops aren't going to spend ten freaking minutes each and every time they suspect someone of carrying smokes in their car tearing open car seats or popping hoods and then explaining to their superior officers why they weren't watching the streets for people running red lights.
    And NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE GOING TO WANT TO SMOKE AFTER IT'S BANNED. That's been my argument the entire time. There will not be a huge demand. The amount of Americans that smoke will go down by 90%. The amount of people with smoking-related illnesses will plummet.

And NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE GOING TO WANT TO SMOKE AFTER IT'S BANNED. That's been my argument the entire time. There will not be a huge demand. The amount of Americans that smoke will go down by 90%. The amount of people with smoking-related illnesses will plummet.
    And again, I go back to the Eighteenth Amendment; it'll be so incredibly time consuming (a tremendous waste of resources) to have the cops searching for one's possession of a smoke and filing people into a system for what amounts of a misdemeanor, when far more things can be done, except this time, smuggling and hiding smokes is far, far easier than beer was.

Furthermore, unless Sander's decides to go the Obama route and just abuse executive orders to create "laws" and go around Congress (who would pretty much never approve of a law banning smokes), this isn't going to ever happen on a federal level. At most we'll see state laws, and just how many states have banned smokes as of 2016?

Like alchohol yea?

And again, I go back to the Eighteenth Amendment; it'll be so incredibly time consuming (a tremendous waste of resources) to have the cops searching for one's possession of a smoke and filing people into a system for what amounts of a misdemeanor, when far more things can be done, except this time, smuggling and hiding smokes is far, far easier than beer was.

Furthermore, unless Sander's decides to go the Obama route and just abuse executive orders to create "laws" and go around Congress (who would pretty much never approve of a law banning smokes), this isn't going to ever happen on a federal level. At most we'll see state laws, and just how many states have banned smokes as of 2016?
    Who says that cops have to police it like they do with the current drugs? They could just make it illegal to sell, make it so if you're caught you get a fine, and that's it. Jesus christ lol you actually think I'm saying police should pull people over and throw them in jail for having tobacco? No. That's retarded.

If smoking is banned, the amount of people that smoke gets cut down by 90%. Period. Make it a non-criminal offense to possess with a fine, make it a big fine to distribute, done.

- - - Updated - - -

Like alchohol yea?
    Alcohol gets you drunk and is easy to produce. The two are not comparable. I've addressed this like 15 times now. Repeating something that I've already addressed doesn't make it less wrong. Maybe this is why you have so many posts, you just repeat the same garbage 19 times in a thread.

Alcohol gets you drunk and is easy to produce. The two are not comparable. I've addressed this like 15 times now. Repeating something that I've already addressed doesn't make it less wrong. Maybe this is why you have so many posts, you just repeat the same garbage 19 times in a thread.
    Kind of funny since you've been repeating the same insult towards other people that disagree with you. Maybe some new material is in order.

As a side note, growing tobacco leaf is extremely cheap and easy for personal consumption. So I'm not sure where you got the idea you need a weed growing level operation to do so.

Who says that cops have to police it like they do with the current drugs? They could just make it illegal to sell, make it so if you're caught you get a fine, and that's it. Jesus christ lol you actually think I'm saying police should pull people over and throw them in jail for having tobacco? No. That's retarded.
    Then sellers will simply just sell enough smokes in bulk to make a profit despite the fine, and users will simply be extra careful to 1. smoke in their house with the windows closed and 2. not let the police in unless they have a warrant (because cops cannot legally enter your house without a warrant unless you open the door and let them in, even if they are looking for evidence of smoking, and the police aren't going to get a judge to sign a warrant to search your house for smokes), and 3. be sure to grind up the smoke with an electronic paper mill (costs like, $40 these days) and either flush the remains down the drain, throw them into the fireplace or outright just dump it in the trash (even if cops find remains of a smoke, they're not going to ticket you unless they can prove you actually smoked it).

As a side note, growing tobacco leaf is extremely cheap and easy for personal consumption. So I'm not sure where you got the idea you need a weed growing level operation to do so.
    This, and you don't even need to grow it; there are multiple kits out there that exist that one can buy and just assemble smokes.

B. Being inconsiderate dickwads
    My summary of anyone who smokes.

Tobacco taxes just fucks over the poor, have it here in new zealand, smokers wont quit because they are addicted.
    This doesnt help with their addiction as many already want to quit but lack the self control so many dont quit, they just accomodate, so essentially its just punishing the poor, costing them more money for something they cant really control.

Taxes are useless, it just works out as a bonus tax revenue scheme that takes money from the poor. A complete ban on selling would be alot better as it would drastically reduce tobacco supplies and make it more difficult to get, which would force people to quit rather than just punishing people who are addicted.

I would even bet that after nasty tax hikes the govt would admit it failed and unban it, essentially just robbing the poor.

I dont mind it been made illegal, its a pretty shit/useless product, but the method of reducing is just as shit/useless

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    Tobacco taxes just fucks over the poor, have it here in new zealand, smokers wont quit because they are addicted.
    This doesnt help with their addiction as many already want to quit but lack the self control so many dont quit, they just accomodate, so essentially its just punishing the poor, costing them more money for something they cant really control.

Taxes are useless, it just works out as a bonus tax revenue scheme that takes money from the poor. A complete ban on selling would be alot better as it would drastically reduce tobacco supplies and make it more difficult to get, which would force people to quit rather than just punishing people who are addicted.

I would even bet that after nasty tax hikes the govt would admit it failed and unban it, essentially just robbing the poor.

I dont mind it been made illegal, its a pretty shit/useless product, but the method of reducing is just as shit/useless
    You want to know what fucks the poor more than tobacco?

The Lottery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look dude, I'm a fucking pharmacist. I think I know what I'm talking about more than you do. There's a demand for name-brand clothes because there is a status involved with wearing name-brand clothes and they're expensive. Same with sports paraphernalia which is what gets counterfeit lots as well. Again with misconstruing. We're talking about drugs that people consume, and you're trying to apply my logic to clothes?? Do you actually think that's clever or something? Just stop posting, 22,000 posts of garbage.
    What does being a pharmacist has to do with here? I could tell you what I do, but not only will you not believe me, it won't do anything to support my argument. It didn't stop you from using 'vast majority don't use it' as an argument...

Which one of us is misconstruing? The person who claims there isn't enough demand to support the black market or the person who is showing that even clothes are sold on the black market? My comparison has nothing to do with clothing, but as I pointed to food as well, the scarcity of obtaining the product is what creates the black market. Be it prohibition, price or any other issue, if there is a barrier in obtaining, the barrier will be broken. The breaking of the barrier will go to finance illicit activity. You don't need to be a pharmacist to understand that...

I'm not trying to be clever, although I'll take it as a complement that you think I'm trying. Please continue posting, because nothing I say can show you are wrong, better than your own words. The last thing I want in showing you are wrong, is for you to stop posting... The fact that you judge 22000 posts on the several we had between each other, might be a similar reason why you have the baseless opinion you do. Listening, instead of telling people to shut up, helps as well...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi