Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Private Servers: The Experience vs The Cost

So for a while I've been thinking about Legacy servers because of the highlight around them at the moment. So let's talk about them from my analogy.

My primary thought is: Are Private Servers popular for the Experience or the Cost? As you know, it costs nothing to play a Private Server. So I ran an experiment.

As of now, at 7:00AM EST on Friday, the 29th of April - there is the following:

Warlords of Draenor Private Server players: 7323 (this number is taken from four out of hundreds of Warlords servers, but only the most popular ones)
    Mists of Pandaria Private Server players: 8535 (this number is taken from four out of hundreds of Pandaria servers, but only the most popular ones)

Please note: This is the total opposite of peak times. During peak times, I expect nearly double the amount of players to be online.

So with the completely overwhelming amount of players on the Warlords of Draenor and Mists of Pandaria servers - are private servers popular for the experience or for the cost? What does this data tell you? Let me know.

Deleted
    The cost matters, but i belive that most play for the experience.

Almost everyone that i play private servers with are not happy with the current version of wow, only heard a very few complain about the cost.

I also belive that legacy servers are popular among the veterans, and most are grown up and have no problem to afford a subscription.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This data tells me there were 7323 players on WoD private servers at 7:00 AM EST on Friday the 29th of April, while MoP servers had 8535. Since I am not a psychic that's as far as it goes.

Deleted
    Private servers are held together by twigs and discount kobolds. Are you trying to prove that a server running old content would cost pennies or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vmbr View Post
    The cost matters, but i belive that most play for the experience.

Almost everyone that i play private servers with are not happy with the current version of wow, only heard a very few complain about the cost.

I also belive that legacy servers are popular among the veterans, and most are grown up and have no problem to afford a subscription.
    That's why I made this post. Why is there 7323 players on Warlords of Draenor servers when they could play other versions of the game? Everyone is there to save money, and it proves it could be a big factor for Legacy servers.

Vanilla Servers are popular because we can't have them, and they remind us of 'better times'.

Most people would play them for a few hours then give up - that's why they wouldn't pay for them.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Most people would play them for a few hours then give up - that's why they wouldn't pay for them.
    Nost proved this wrong. Players actually leveled to the cap, formed guilds, started raiding, and were very passionate about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Nost proved this wrong.
    1. 'Most' <---
    2. How much were people paying/month for Nost vanilla servers.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

it can cost $1 to make, it will still not happen. Why? Because that would signal shareholders that Blizzard is not being managed correctly, e.g. Why are players not doing content we already spent millions and time and research on. If they release all legacy servers, or progressive servers, what happens when the majority of players goes there? How about this - Blizzard makes legacy servers with some basic maintenance, but you no longer get any WoW updates. NOTHING. no more pve content. no more storyline. no more arena seasons. no more new items. i mean why make new stuff when CLEARLY(notice the bucket of sarcasm) legacy is so much better?

as a vanilla vet someone who has done all the shit all the people who have no clue talk about, you cant go back. and yes, current content is garbage, garrisons, followers, pve, its all a joke as the AUDIENCE of the game, the players are a generation who prefers a facebook game than old wow.

was vanilla/tbc/wrath nice? Yes, they were amazing and I have countless great memories. But its in the past. Let it be in the past. The people who want legacy are the same people who would like all old classic movies to be remade. Leave them the fuck alone and remember them.

Deleted
    Vanilla Servers are popular because we can't have them, and they remind us of 'better times'.

There's around maybe 1million active players spread over various private servers. Nostalrius was just one of many, and they had around 200k active players. There are wotlk servers with population as big as nost.

So obviously most are not playing for a few hours and then quit.

Quote Originally Posted by vmbr View Post
    I can't really understand how WoW veterans, grown ups are wanting lecacy Vanilla servers. I've played in Vanilla, had my MC/BWL/AQ40 and start of Naxx expirience. I don't want to repeat this experience, and prefer it to be a nice memories. Main problem, isn't even the fact that PvE content are 10x times better now, class rotation are more interesting and complex, and such, main problem i see, is a fact that when i was playing Vanilla i was basically 15 y/o with 5x the amount of free time i have now. And achieving anything GREAT in Vanilla required tremendous amounts of time. Hardcore raiders were waking up at night to pick up thier fk black lotuses, farming Winterspring Firewater, stacks of Elixirs, Flasks, JuJus, Felwood Carrot, and mostly gold for repairs. I honestly see the only way in getting all this w/o free time - RMTing gold. Wanna achieve that sweet R14? Oh man, time to grind for how long, was it 3 or more months of grind, and then sitting in HWL/GM queue of your realms PvP premades.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    the AUDIENCE of the game, the players are a generation who prefers a facebook game than old wow.
    If the player "generation" prefers facebook games, and WoW has turned into a facebook game, then why have the subs fallen to early vanilla levels? Shouldn't subs have skyrocketed since the number of gamers is increasing? In the meanwhile MMORPGs are doing better than ever. We have GW2, FFXIV, EVE hitting their highest numbers ever, Minecraft being a mega hit, Rust, etc. etc. The reality is that the audience didn't change, WoW changed, and no longer appeals to the audience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    The people who want legacy are the same people who would like all old classic movies to be remade. Leave them the fuck alone and remember them.
    No, they still just enjoy the old movies that they love, they don't want them remade.

Do you tell all the people enjoying the old star wars movies to take off their rose tinted glasses?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iDielord View Post
    I can't really understand how WoW veterans, grown ups are wanting lecacy Vanilla servers.
    That's fine, not everyone likes the same things. Personally I can't really understand how grown ups could be interested in the current game, which to me is just shallow instant gratification garbage. I can see the appeal to ADHD kids, but not to anyone that wants more depth and maturity in their gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgtar2 View Post
    As of now, at 7:00AM EST on Friday, the 29th of April - there is the following:

Warlords of Draenor Private Server players: 7323 (this number is taken from four out of hundreds of Warlords servers, but only the most popular ones)
    Mists of Pandaria Private Server players: 8535 (this number is taken from four out of hundreds of Pandaria servers, but only the most popular ones)
    Private servers running MoP? Private servers running WoD??? Hundreds of them??!

I doubt any of this is true. How many of the things are working on a server running MoP - 3%? Damn, show me a video of a MoP client logging in to a private server and the player entering a MoP zone even.

OP, did you actually try these servers before posting your stats? What core are they running?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your sources are false and altered with, logged in on multiple of those so called "WoD and MoP" servers with over 6000 players. They're empty. It's no secret that they alter the numbers to make it more appealing for others to join.

In addition to that. You can't compare WoD with Vanilla. People who play WoD =//= Vanilla Private servers. People who want to play free would do so on a WoD server. Who would do that to play Vanilla? Again, your demographic is out of place.

1. People who want to play Vanilla WoW aren't new players, they're old players, veterans that no longer feel the games in terms with what they believe it should be.
    2. There hasn't been a single server that has been big as Nostalrius or Kronos. No, MoP / WoD Private server with 6K players aren't server with 6K players. They probably have about 100.
    Just because they promote for 10K players, 20K players means nothing. On the other side, log into the Nostalrius server and you wouldn't be doubting it at all. Just before you hit Goldshire you'd see over 200 players. It was packed.
    3. There's major amount of players who don't play on Vanilla servers, Private Vanilla servers because it isn't being hosted by Blizzard. Why? Because it's understandable. It's unrealiable, it can go down any time. That's the biggest reason I didn't play them, because they kept doing down, same happened to Nost. Luckily I don't care anymore.

Anyway, you need to stop talking the hype of Nostalrius down with false information.
    7323 (this number is taken from four out of hundreds of Warlords servers, but only the most popular ones)
    Lies. And more lies.

And what OP did NOT mention is that multiple, if not all of these server have rates such as "100x". He is simply using false data to faking reports. Unreliable sources, from a unreliable person with a subjective post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Private servers running MoP? Private servers running WoD??? Hundreds of them??!

I doubt any of this is true. How many of the things are working on a server running MoP - 3%? Damn, show me a video of a MoP client logging in to a private server and the player entering a MoP zone even.

OP, did you actually try these servers before posting your stats? What core are they running?
    You are either really out-dated or really stupid. Private Server cores (--SNIP--and --SNIP--, namely) are 100x more stable than ever. In fact, at max level everything is pretty much working or being progressed into.

Infracted

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Your sources are false and altered with, logged in on multiple of those so called "WoD and MoP" servers with over 6000 players. They're empty. It's no secret that they alter the numbers to make it more appealing for others to join.

In addition to that. You can't compare WoD with Vanilla. People who play WoD =//= Vanilla Private servers. People who want to play free would do so on a WoD server. Who would do that to play Vanilla? Again, your demographic is out of place.

1. People who want to play Vanilla WoW aren't new players, they're old players, veterans that no longer feel the games in terms with what they believe it should be.
    2. There hasn't been a single server that has been big as Nostalrius or Kronos. No, MoP / WoD Private server with 6K players aren't server with 6K players. They probably have about 100.
    Just because they promote for 10K players, 20K players means nothing. On the other side, log into the Nostalrius server and you wouldn't be doubting it at all. Just before you hit Goldshire you'd see over 200 players. It was packed.
    3. There's major amount of players who don't play on Vanilla servers, Private Vanilla servers because it isn't being hosted by Blizzard. Why? Because it's understandable. It's unrealiable, it can go down any time. That's the biggest reason I didn't play them, because they kept doing down, same happened to Nost. Luckily I don't care anymore.

Anyway, you need to stop talking the hype of Nostalrius down with false information.
    7323 (this number is taken from four out of hundreds of Warlords servers, but only the most popular ones)
    Lies. And more lies.

And what OP did NOT mention is that multiple, if not all of these server have rates such as "100x". He is simply using false data to faking reports. Unreliable sources, from a unreliable person with a subjective post.
    You just used false data to accuse me for false data, when you can literally google up the servers and see the population for yourself.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-29 at 02:06 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

"Most".
    From 4K players to 18K players after 1 "Year" on Nostalrius.
    A few hours because my subjective opinion is fact Kappa.
    It was only getting bigger, and it wasn't even being supported by Streams. In fact, it was bannable to stream.
    As far as I can tell, increasing the playerbase with 4,5x sounds more than just give up.

Most of them don't pay because they're free. And because it's unreliable. It's NOT hosted by Blizzard.
    It's a server that can go down anytime. Why? Because there's not a multi millionaire company to support it. And don't worry, they did have money from donations. Handling a 18K server is no cheap task. Let alone their website.

You are either really out-dated or really stupid. Private Server cores (--SNIP--and --SNIP--, namely) are 100x more stable than ever. In fact, at max level everything is pretty much working or being progressed into.
    --SNIP--

There's no WoD.

What gives? Where's that great core you are talking about? Am I not looking in the right place?
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-29 at 02:07 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You just used false data to accuse me for false data, when you can literally google up the servers and see the population for yourself.
    That's the problem. Having people like you that wont even read the post.
    I tried the servers, they didn't have more than 50 players. They said 3K.
    OP also stated WoD servers as a bait. They're WoD servers with 20x rates. ( Loot, exp, and rep).