Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Doesnt matter. If you lock them up, then the market isnt being shorted revenue. If you lock them up, then they are assured a punishment rather than a reward for breaking the law, and the taxpayers would be paying for the food. People dont mind paying to administer justice!
    I just have a hard time looking at a person (one person) and wanting to throw them in jail for stealing some sausage and cheese. It seems a fine is more in order than actual jail time. But fining someone that is so poor they have to steal food isn't going to work. What should have happened is some charitable person or organization steps in, pays for the product and helps the man find somewhere to be food secure moving forward. Be that a church, an organization or the government it doesn't really matter.

Taking each individual case, determining if there was real need or just petty theft and assessing a proper punishment is the way to go. There is a huge gap between jailing a hungry individual and giving people carte blanche to steal whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Met any adults ever? If you can't rely on common sense and ethics, humanity is lost. Sure there will still be people who take advantage.
    Dude, your argument is that breaking out of prison is just expressing your right to freedom, and talk about common sense and ethics while blaming it on "basic instincts".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Dude, your argument is that breaking out of prison is just expressing your right to freedom, and talk about common sense and ethics while blaming it on "basic instincts".
    No use argueing with you. If you lock someone up, they want to break free. If you threatening someone's life they'll use self-defense.

No use argueing with you. If you lock someone up, they want to break free. If you threatening someone's life they'll use self-defense.
    See, this is why I told you to tell me what you wanted me to say earlier.

Because not only is it nonsensical, it's also utterly devoid from reality.

You have, in one post, justified both prison breaking and murder because of "basic instincts".

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You didn't read about that large scandal in the US? Where Judges got paid of to ensure their prisons were filled nicely and thus very profitable.

A documentary was even made about this, this is something that took place not long ago either, it got quite a bit of attention as it went about kids if money is throw at judges there you can expect this to be happening for more than one privately owned prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_Cash
    Corruption is illegal right? So, because someone commits a crime, that means there is a legal and systemic problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it's important to clarify that the courts only allowed it because they deemed it necessary for his survival. So this would not allow for people to just steal food and get away with it. They would need to prove that it was their only option.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that now people know they wont be charged with theft if they steal food and just say they were hungry. Why would anyone pay for food if they can just steal it? Soon, food theft will be rampant and stores will have to shut down due to not being able to be profitable having all their food stolen
    I doubt anyone that can pay for the food will have an ok pass for stealing.

And, like I said before, starving people already get pardoned for stealing in many countries... and I never seen this "food theft pandemia".

10+ Year Old Account
    See, this is why I told you to tell me what you wanted me to say earlier.

Because not only is it nonsensical, it's also utterly devoid from reality.

You have, in one post, justified both prison breaking and murder because of "basic instincts".
    Self-defense isn't murder

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They should give that food to Italians, not Hungarians!
    Man ... that hurt.

In a good way.

I dare you to kill someone while trying to break out of prison and then try that on a judge. Please record it as well, because I want to see the blank stare of a judge who realized just how stupid the person in front of him is.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Do you think companies running private prisons don't have any reason to lobby for high incarceration rates and long sentences under the guise of being tough on crime?

They're not imprisoning people directly, but their business does better the more people are in their prison. They have a vested interest in incarceration.

Similarly industries that profit from prison labour also have an interest in keeping the prison population high.
    They can lobby for whatever they want, just like any other citizen or entity. I can lobby to make original the only flavor of bubble gum, if I choose. There is more corruption in government, than in the private sector. Therefore, doing everything via government is not a safe space to hide from crime.

Another group of people who have a vested interest in keeping people in prison: law abiding citizens.

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Ill vacation in Italy. I can just dine and dash every time I am hungry and I wont have to budget food into my vacation
    I never understood people who only abstained from bad behavior because it was illegal. What happened to being a good person? Is the threat of imprisonment the only thing keeping you from strangling your boss every other day rather than empathy for another human? If Crack were legal would you immediately go out and buy a kilo or two?

Your own moral compass should be the reason you don't steal, murder, and kick puppies, not whether or not you think you can get away with it.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it's important to clarify that the courts only allowed it because they deemed it necessary for his survival. So this would not allow for people to just steal food and get away with it. They would need to prove that it was their only option.
    Indeed. And the article said 'small amount of food'. Not feed a family of 4 at a nice restaurant. There are places in South America which have refrigerators by the front door for people to put their left overs in as a donation to the homeless and hungry.

I would love to see this sort of humanitarianism continue to spread around the world.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Corruption is illegal right? So, because someone commits a crime, that means there is a legal and systemic problem?
    There is a conflict of interest in which someone profits off of having lots of people thrown into jail.

When someone grows wealthy off of convicts you find the government suddenly makes sure more convicts exist.

Isn't this the basic logic that people against Welfare employ? That welfare recipients thus have a vested interest in voting in politicians to expand welfare benefits, thus businesses profiting off of increased convictions and convicts will want more convicts and pursue actions to get more convicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dare you to kill someone while trying to break out of prison and then try that on a judge. Please record it as well, because I want to see the blank stare of a judge who realized just how stupid the person in front of him is.
    Grasping now? I never said if you break out and murder someone. I was just giving 2 examples of basic instinct what happens a lot in the world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it's still murder, it's just justified. You still just killed a dude.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Another group of people who have a vested interest in keeping people in prison: law abiding citizens.
    Do they though?

Compare the cost of jailing a man for 6 months to the passed on costs of $4.50 worth of shoplifted goods.

Not every occasion of a law being broken warrants imprisonment. Doing that can be detrimental to law abiding citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You didn't read about that large scandal in the US? Where Judges got paid of to ensure their prisons were filled nicely and thus very profitable.

A documentary was even made about this, this is something that took place not long ago either, it got quite a bit of attention as it went about kids if money is throw at judges there you can expect this to be happening for more than one privately owned prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_Cash
    The prisons would be empty if people stopped breaking the law. I dont care if they do keep people in there for long sentences. They shouldnt break the law. They arent rounding up innocent people and stuffing them in jails just to fill them.

Little game : what dangerous ''libural SJW'' let riots running wild in his capital pillaging food stores upon realizing that shooting them would be counter-productive, if only because the ones that would be doing the shooting were their husbands, fathers and sons ?

Jefferson Davis, 2 april 1863. I mean, a president of the glorious ''muh state rights'' gimmicks. He must be right, isn'it ? Right ?

10+ Year Old Account
    The prisons would be empty if people stopped breaking the law. I dont care if they do keep people in there for long sentences. They shouldnt break the law. They arent rounding up innocent people and stuffing them in jails just to fill them.
    Yeah those kids that jump over in tables in highschool: good riddance.
    Those people who bought their kid a scooter not knowing it was stolen: good riddance.