Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    You're talking about the Gambler's Fallacy which doesn't change the fact that someone who is prepared to buy 100 packs will always have a greater chance of ending up with the Legendary they want compared to someone who can only afford 50 packs.
    Indeed.
    More packs DOES increase the odds.
    However no spend is going to guarantee any specific result beyond dust.
    So spending money makes a given result more likely or easier.
    It can only guarantee a given card if you craft it, though obtaining a sufficient amount of dust which you can't even guarantee any consistent return of from packs unless you are disenchanting everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

There are a zillion better games than HS to spend your money on.

And in most of these games you just buy them once and play a life time, ... like in any good boardgame.

The "reset" of cards mechanic is quite disgusting really.

FIRST ... we need to avoid playing rated in the first days of the month.

NOW ... it is even recommended to store the game for another month until the new wave of cards gets settled.

Even less motivation to open up BattleNet.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    You're talking about the Gambler's Fallacy which doesn't change the fact that someone who is prepared to buy 100 packs will always have a greater chance of ending up with the Legendary they want compared to someone who can only afford 50 packs.
    I would tend to agree if the person buying 100 packs in the example absolutely couldn't get a second copy of the same legendary he would have gotten in the first fifty. However, since duplicates aren't excluded from the possible card pool in the next fifty packs he spent real money on then the chance of getting a repeat card is still just as possible as an unobtained desired legendary the the who is buying packs with real money wants. Like ComputerNerd said the only thing you're garunteed at getting from packs is a minimum level of dust, or greater if you get golden procs, additional non common cards, or repeats you don't need. With buying packs you're more likely to stockpile the dust you need for a particular card before you actually pull it from a pack, assuming we're talking we're talking about epics or legendaries.

Spending money gives you a massive advantage way way WAY earlier than you would have if you spent only gold on packs. Like, depending on how many packs you buy, months or years earlier.

I am fine with Blizzard selling card packs for a price, but they are just so expensive right now. 70 dollars for 60 packs? Most of which are going to be duplicates? That's a lot of money, and I mean, Blizzard can do it, but from my perspective spending more than you would pay for a triple A console game on what may amount to a few new digital cards, that's just way too expensive.

Of course, this coming from somebody who has purchased the 50 dollar packs in the past. Like once or twice. I still admit it is too much, and it has allowed me to have many, many, more cards than my friends who don't spend any money on it at all. Thus, I steamroll them with superior decks because I simply have all the superior cards, and all the cards that work well with the superior cards, and now that standard is in play all the money I spent on those vanilla HS card packs is effectively wasted outside of playing with friends.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    I would tend to agree if the person buying 100 packs in the example absolutely couldn't get a second copy of the same legendary he would have gotten in the first fifty. However, since duplicates aren't excluded from the possible card pool in the next fifty packs he spent real money on then the chance of getting a repeat card is still just as possible as an unobtained desired legendary the the who is buying packs with real money wants.
    That's why I worded my post the way it was and you completely diverted it. As soon you find the Legendary you want you don't need to open any further packs right? You have your card. The guy who can afford 100 packs will have a greater chance of ending up with his Legendary regardless.

Anyway no one opens packs for the purpose of trying to find a particular card. You open packs to fill in random empty spaces in your collection and if you get lucky so be it. Then if you really want a certain card you craft it with spare dust.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    ... from my perspective spending more than you would pay for a triple A console game on what may amount to a few new digital cards, that's just way too expensive.
    I never understood the distinction... it's like arguing in favor of CDs and LPs instead of digital music files. At the end of the day the physical cards are just paper / cardboard with some paint, and have little other value other than what you place into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    I never understood the distinction... it's like arguing in favor of CDs and LPs instead of digital music files. At the end of the day the physical cards are just paper / cardboard with some paint, and have little other value other than what you place into them.
    But they still have a production cost. They still take money to ship. Plus, you can keep cards forever if you take enough care of them. Once Blizzard is done, Hearthstone will be done with it, and all of your cards will be gone forever. While there are advantages to digital cards, there are also many disadvantages, and so long as they are still as expensive as they are, most of the advantages are Blizzard's.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Deleted
    But they still have a production cost.
    And you figure digital cards have no production costs? Someone has to create the art, someone has to script the card, someone has to create the animations, and so on.

Plus, you can keep cards forever if you take enough care of them. Once Blizzard is done, Hearthstone will be done with it, and all of your cards will be gone forever.
    Not only is this a ridiculous threat to worry about, it is also so far into the future that it does not even matter. You will have kids, watch them grow up, and play HS before you see Blizzard shutting the game down, and by that time the value you have received from the game is a thousand times that which you would have received from any triple A title.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2016-05-04 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    There is a huge difference between a physical and a digital ccg when it comes to value. Physical cards can be sold, and if done correctly, can be a wise investment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    There is a huge difference between a physical and a digital ccg when it comes to value. Physical cards can be sold, and if done correctly, can be a wise investment.
    The keyword here is difference. A physical card might have a higher monetary value but to the individual the subjective value does not change. Actually the cost of physical cards works against it as much for it; while in HS any card can simply be either crafted for dust or purchased for gold, in a physical tcg you might have to pay hundreds of dollars for competitive cards.

Not a massive advantage, especially not for a card game. The fact that we can have a card game in the modern day that you can play at all without spending money is a ridiculous concept.

The people who pay money don't have any distinct advantage other than that they can change their decks more easily when the meta shifts. It doesn't really take much effort at all to get one viable deck to start grinding the rest of the gold with and any smart player does just that, hence the popularity of cheap yet effective decks like face hunter and zoo warlock.

I'm not going to bullshit and pretend as a F2P player that I don't get mildly salty when I go up against mr. full golden wallet warrior, but it's mainly personal feelings towards the deck design itself rather than dislike towards the person themselves. I just don't know why people would spend that much money on a currently mediocre deck other than to show off how much money you blow on a CCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    That is utter BS really.

The ONLY cards there were worth investing are around a dozen alfa and beta launching cards in Magic.

All the rest can be used to lit the fire after a few years. That can be said about any collectable game, be that plastic or card or some pawn.

As a matter of fact, the kilos of physical collectable items on my attic are just space fillers and a terrible threat to our earth resources.

Spare me the Black Lotus, Mox or dual land example. The rest is worthless bagage.

At least a pixeled card is not a resource waste. Not even talking about the thousands of lost hours to sort and store these things in maps you just throw away when the game simply fades away (mostly after 3 years).
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-05-04 at 05:21 AM.

Deleted
    You spend either time or money. It's very hard to earn gold with dailies if you start from scratch and don't have any cards.

I'm playing since CB and bought all adventures with cash also got myself 2 or 3 40 card packs to get started. I don't buy new expansions anymore because you usually end up using only 10-15 cards anyways.

I spend all gold on classic packs and still miss some classic legendaries like Ysera, Edwin and Grom.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That is utter BS really.

The ONLY cards there were worth investing are around a dozen alfa and beta launching cards in Magic.

All the rest can be used to lit the fire after a few years. That can be said about any collectable game, be that plastic or card or some pawn.

As a matter of fact, the kilos of physical collectable items on my attic are just space fillers and a terrible threat to our earth resources.

Spare me the Black Lotus, Mox or dual land example. The rest is worthless bagage.

At least a pixeled card is not a resource waste. Not even talking about the thousands of lost hours to sort and store these things in maps you just throw away when the game simply fades away (mostly after 3 years).
    You do not know what you are talking about. There are already cards in the current Standard format in MtG selling for $80 per card. One can make a comfortable living by simply by buying and selling current format MtG cards.

I managed to get competitive decks in Hearthstone without spending a single penny (well, I bought two packs during beta due to rumors that Hearthsteed would be the reward), but the reason for that is simple, I played since day one of beta, so it was easy to bump my collection...

Spent actual money for the first time in the last pre sale of WotOG, mostly cause I haven't played that much and I wanted a good start (and the cardback was awesome).

My point is, if you play long enough, you can live without buying a single pack with real money and still be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Indeed.
    More packs DOES increase the odds.
    However no spend is going to guarantee any specific result beyond dust.
    So spending money makes a given result more likely or easier.
    It can only guarantee a given card if you craft it, though obtaining a sufficient amount of dust which you can't even guarantee any consistent return of from packs unless you are disenchanting everything.
    actually your ignoring the casualty created from dusting cards when you open packs. Assuming every card is to be dusted you are guaranteed that card if you buy at least enough packs to cover the dust cost of crafting said card. So in a sense you are guaranteed every card. To be honest though I have found that in order to have every card from an expansion you need to open approximately 2.15 times the number of of new card given average RNG. this coming from 3 expansions of getting every card in 1 night from a combination of gold and money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    To be honest though I have found that in order to have every card from an expansion you need to open approximately 2.15 times the number of of new card given average RNG.
    There's 134 cards in Old Gods that's roughly 27 packs in number. You're saying on average you only have to open 27*2.15 = 58 packs to get every card? No way in hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I thought he meant 2.15 times the number of actual cards. (So 134 * 2.15)
    That's still 58 packs. 134*2.15 = 288 cards = 58 packs.

Unless he is somehow implicitly converting cards into packs somewhere.

Spending money on a card game is fine, I honestly wish the game actually had trading and a market place for selling cards. But it's absolutely terrible for F2P users and anyone who can't stomach more than 5 or so games a day. You'll eventually get there, but slowly pulling the knife out of your bad collection is a lot more painful than instantly relieving it through purchasing packs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    What exactly defines "a huge cash grab". Personally I think people posting these kind of claims are just really shallow. I mean...a cash grab? Is the cash lying in my house and Blizzard comes in and grabs it? Which is funny, because though I like WoW, I dislike TCGs. So I don't even play HS. And does it mean HS grabs more cash than any other card game? And how so? Did Blizzard fuck with your midn to make you feeble and hand over your Credit card details?

Other than that, welcome to supply and demand. You may have just landed on a fugitive boat from out of space if capitalism is new to you. Oh look..Coca Cola sells a sugary drink. It is a huge cash grab. Oh looks. McDonalds sells shitty burgers. It is a cash grab. Oh look. Nike sells a life style. It is a cash grab. Oh look...every company in the world is out there, hawking a product to you in order to find out what you are vulnerably to, where your weaknesses lie in order to get YOUR BLOODY MONEY.

You think Sony, Microsoft or Apple really love you? Your bank? Your boss? Your wife? Everyone is after your money. If you spend it on virtual cards and whine about that...you have my sympathy because you miss where you really bend over and get screwed.
    If you have such a balanced view on capitalism, why do you continue to act like Blizzard are your best buddy. You never objective when it comes to Blizzard, they treat their Wow subscribers with contempt, they charge more and more and provide less and less, they lie, they exploit the weak minded fanboys (like yourself) and you hunt around the forums for posts to defend them. In over 20,000 posts of utter drivel I've never seen you criticize them ever. So please save giving us your views on how the world works until you have learnt to have an independent thought of your own.