Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Do you own a hammer and a screwdriver?

On FB I belong to a group for my neighborhood. This way everyone in the area can keep up to date on happenings and what not, yard sales, lost dogs, etc etc.

This was posted by someone a few minutes ago:

Maybe I am overblowing it, but how does someone not own a hammer and a screwdriver? To make matters worse, this is a neighborhood of homeowners. How do you own a house and not have these two common tools? I'd even go as far as saying renters would strike me just as odd not having them.

my non mechanical non fixit wife still had a full toolbox including power tools when i met her.

the fact anyone would live without tools is just negligent in my book. but hey, this is what happens when we cut basic shop class and auto shop from our school. useless kids grow up to be useless adults. (yes i'm exaggerating and i dont care)

Nope, I own TWO hammers and multiple screwdrivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    my non mechanical non fixit wife still had a full toolbox including power tools when i met her.

the fact anyone would live without tools is just negligent in my book. but hey, this is what happens when we cut basic shop class and auto shop from our school. useless kids grow up to be useless adults. (yes i'm exaggerating and i dont care)
    Ditto. When she moved in I was excited to have more tools lol. Everyone should have a hammer, screw driver set, pliers, and a simple socket set at the very least.

7+ Year Old Account
    Having basic tools on hand tends to be very useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    i own both for dissecting and interrogating draenei.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Well, people tend to not own certain things, because there haven't been prior need for it. Many people own cars, yet don't have tools to fix them either (or the knowledge).

I also own tools that I can't even use for anything anymore

Deleted
    No, a hammer and a sickle.

Yes, I also live in an apartment. But I don't care whether someone has them or not, it's no big deal.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

My dad has one of those massive multi-drawer toolboxes.

There's about 6 hammers, a dozen screwdrivers, 100+ wrenches.. mallets and crowbars and power drills and what the fuck i don't even know what the other things are...

..but we have no nails or screws. RAGE.

I also have a much smaller toolbag of my own with my own wrench set :3

far too many men are sissies.. like the movie Daddy's home.. kid gets toolbox, in there is 1/2 tools and a tampon. :P sounds about right. hell, in the last 3 weeks alone, I've had to help shift sofas. hang a TV, and hang a curtain rail.. all at different peoples houses.

what's worse is, some aren't even what I'd consider nancy boys! they own tools. but they don't even own the RIGHT ones. no spirit level.. nothing.

I carry a leatherman on me at all times, so I have pliers/screwdriver etc on hand almost 24/7.. I don't get people who don't :P sure It's not like I expect everyone to have a mitre saw or a tile cutter lying around for eg, but some basics!
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

10+ Year Old Account
    Total cost for both items: Around $20. Tell your friend to go buy them.

OT: Yes I own multiple hammers, multiple screwdrivers, and a myriad of other tools - All keep nicely sorted in my tool chest that weighs more than I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I don't own a hammer or screwdriver, but that's primarily because I haven't needed to because our household in general has several of both.

Hammer, screw driver, 36" bolt cutters, several half spent cans of WD40, duct tape, all of the essential tools for any job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno, I've met a ton of people - including full grown, home owning men - who just seem completely clueless, inept, or just unwilling to take on any physical tasks in their yard/home/etc.

I hate to sound like some grizzled old man growling, "Be a real man!" at them because I hate that sort of talk...but holy fuck, if you're a grown man and you can't even fix basic stuff in your own home, you've got some learning to do.
    We live in highly specialized world, these are the consequences (some would argue they are manageable consequences)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno, I've met a ton of people - including full grown, home owning men - who just seem completely clueless, inept, or just unwilling to take on any physical tasks in their yard/home/etc.

I hate to sound like some grizzled old man growling, "Be a real man!" at them because I hate that sort of talk...but holy fuck, if you're a grown man and you can't even fix basic stuff in your own home, you've got some learning to do.
    On the other hand, there are a lot of men (and women) that I'd be scared shitless if they picked up a hammer or tried to do any sort of home repair

I don't know anyone who doesn't have the basics.

I know it's a problem though, I mean almost anything you buy these days that require assembly comes with the tool for doing so.

Be cause you know someone bought it and complained:

"Would have been nice if I had the tool to put the damn thing together".

If multiple tools are required, like the hammer and screw driver its on the box, but holy shit who doesn't have a screw driver? You can use a rock wrapped in cloth as a hammer ffs!

10+ Year Old Account
    I own them. Maybe people in apartments dont have them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tools I probably don't even know I have.

"Ah, so that's what those are for"
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    On FB I belong to a group for my neighborhood. This way everyone in the area can keep up to date on happenings and what not, yard sales, lost dogs, etc etc.

This was posted by someone a few minutes ago:

Maybe I am overblowing it, but how does someone not own a hammer and a screwdriver? To make matters worse, this is a neighborhood of homeowners. How do you own a house and not have these two common tools? I'd even go as far as saying renters would strike me just as odd not having them.
    I own multiple screwdrivers and an Alan key, but no hammer.