Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Today's light bulb (and embarassing) moment of the day:
    I didn't unlock the challenge log until after Heavensward came out, like almost half a year honestly. Yeah, I feel PRETTY shitty not knowing that existed.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I didn't unlock the challenge log until after Heavensward came out, like almost half a year honestly. Yeah, I feel PRETTY shitty not knowing that existed.
    I recall that one was another one I didn't unlock for a while, but I've had it for some time now. It's quite nice to have (namely for xp for chocobo and all the mgp bonuses, among other things).

Oh yeah...I just visited Gold Saucer for the first time this past weekend. Had I unlocked it + challenge log when I started playing, I'd probably be pretty close to the Fenrir mount by now (assuming I did a couple of the challenges each week).

I recall that one was another one I didn't unlock for a while, but I've had it for some time now. It's quite nice to have (namely for xp for chocobo and all the mgp bonuses, among other things).

Oh yeah...I just visited Gold Saucer for the first time this past weekend. Had I unlocked it + challenge log when I started playing, I'd probably be pretty close to the Fenrir mount by now (assuming I did a couple of the challenges each week).
    I really haven't bothered with the gold saucer, but the challenge log is very nice especially for leveling things. I kind of stopped going for items though with gil, despite owning like a million. Which I hear is nothing but hey, I don't have to worry about stuff.

15+ Year Old Account

Well, the gold saucer challenge logs weren't introduced until 3.1. That said, I am pretty close myself to getting fenrir, currently at 770k~ Mgp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Well, the gold saucer challenge logs weren't introduced until 3.1. That said, I am pretty close myself to getting fenrir, currently at 770k Mgp.
    Oh, well darn. I figured they had been there a while. So scratch that about the mount.

I almost want to set up the Playboy bunny glamour for the lulz, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I really haven't bothered with the gold saucer, but the challenge log is very nice especially for leveling things. I kind of stopped going for items though with gil, despite owning like a million. Which I hear is nothing but hey, I don't have to worry about stuff.
    I just splurged 1.5 mil on getting 220 crafted ring + the crafted stuff for the 210 anima weapon. Pretty much the first time I've spent 7 digits on anything in this game at this point.

I just splurged 1.5 mil on getting 220 crafted ring + the crafted stuff for the 210 anima weapon. Pretty much the first time I've spent 7 digits on anything in this game at this point.
    Most I've ever spent was just buying cosmetic stuff for friends, normally reaching a few hundred thousand gil. I seriously have no priorities when it comes to keeping gil for myself lol

I hope you didn't mean all 16 of the HQ items + 220 ring for 1.5mil. Just four of the items cost 1mil on my server...

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I hope you didn't mean all 16 of the HQ items + 220 ring for 1.5mil. Just four of the items cost 1mil on my server...
    Balmung is a buyer's market by a country mile compared to other servers. Each of the items (sold in sets of 4) were ~300k each, and there's truckloads of them on sale.

The ring was...220k, I think? Wasn't over 300k for sure.

Balmung is a buyer's market by a country mile compared to other servers. Each of the items (sold in sets of 4) were ~300k each, and there's truckloads of them on sale.

The ring was...220k, I think? Wasn't over 300k for sure.
    Geez way different than Cactuar. The complete crafting set will probably cost me around 4-5mil.

10+ Year Old Account
    32 mil, get on my level! *cries*
    For a medium size house.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Time for another controversial thread from NaCl.

I really wish there was more to talk about regarding this game.

Before I go into detail, I going to preempt the objections,

It's not that kind of game.

That doesn't mean the game can't be that on the side. FFS, this game has a collectable card game, chocobo racing, minion battles and even the crafting and gather systems are mini-games on the side in and of themselves. "Not that kind of game." is meaningless.

I don't like change.

This isn't change. This is an addition.

Ya, there isn't much to talk about - apart from complaining about some change that only affects the 1% SE made or talking about how to get more gil.

I'm going to reference the Souls games again because IMHO they did a hella many things right - seemly by accident.

The Souls community is filled with conversations talking about weapons (where to find them, how to use them ... etc.), builds, boss tactics ... etc. There is so much to figure out and discover.

Does anyone make videos about FFXIV drops, exploring the various possibilities?

Or are all FFXIV video "lectures" about how to "do it right"? (boss fights, rotations, ... etc.)

Everything is either in plain sight or the clergy decides, "This is the right way. End of story. Don't be a bad.".

There is nothing to talk about.

Why isn't there gameplay (ON THE SIDE) that promote this type of friendly discussion?
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Today's light bulb (and embarassing) moment of the day:
    Realizing you've played all this time and never unlocked retainer ventures.
    *chuckles*
    Well, have fun leveling them then. My Combat trainer is standing around b/c the always only managed to bring me junk that didn't sell. My mining one is tasked with "bring us fertilizer" duty. Poor girls.

Regarding Gold Saucer: I find it difficult to care. never liked RNG stuff and even in FF VII the gold saucer part annoyed the crap out of me.

I just splurged 1.5 mil on getting 220 crafted ring + the crafted stuff for the 210 anima weapon.
    I spent around 3m yesterday because the crafted parts were rather cheap. (160-216K)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Does anyone make videos about FFXIV drops, exploring the various possibilities?
    Or are all FFXIV video "lectures" about how to "do it right"? (boss fights, rotations, ... etc.)
    Everything is either in plain sight or the clergy decides, "This is the right way. End of story. Don't be a bad.".
    There is nothing to talk about.
    No point.
    Remember you only have 2 sets of gear, where it comes from is obvious and item level is always king.

Secondary stats are REALLY weak in this game.
    The ratios are around:

1Weap damage = 10 main stat =~30-50 secondary stat. (napkin math puts crit/SS @ around 0.25 Mind for WHM)
    So unless we are talking tiny item level difference <5ilvl, equip the highest item level you can get your hands on and your're done as far as gearing goes.

As for "how the classes are played": Well it got a little more complex in Heavensward and there are plenty of discussions on how to do it, they just don't come in video form. I recommend reading the official SE role forums. Most classes have their own thread in there.

As an example: here is the BLM thread.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-05-05 at 08:19 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No point.
    Remember you only have 2 sets of gear, where it comes from is obvious and item level is always king.

Secondary stats are REALLY weak in this game.
    The ratios are around:

1Weap damage = 10 main stat =~30-50 secondary stat. (napkin math puts crit/SS @ around 0.25 Mind for WHM)
    So unless we are talking tiny item level difference <5ilvl, equip the highest item level you can get your hands on and your're done as far as gearing goes.
    You know, it's really kind of sad that there are so many unused "features" in this game.

Blunt/Pierce/X resist

You attribute allocation ... there is pretty much only one "right way". ><

Not sure why they are there at all.

As for "how the classes are played": Well it got a little more complex in Heavensward and there are plenty of discussions on how to do it, they just don't come in video form. I recommend reading the official SE role forums. Most classes have their own thread in there.

As an example: here is the BLM thread.
    I can see a nerf incoming ... because "raid balance".

Part of me really hopes Deep Dungeon gear comes with it's own "gameplay" that is independent from raiding. There aren't many interesting things you can do if you want to maintain strict uncompromising raid balance.

e.g. it's own materia, own stats, even an extra weapon slot for Deep Dungeon weapons with their own attacks ...
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, it's really kind of sad that there are so many unused "features" in this game.
    Blunt/Pierce/X resist
    You attribute allocation ... there is pretty much only one "right way". ><
    Well all MMOs with item level progression are essentially like that.
    Item level being King is inherent to having a gear treadmill.

As for Resist stats etc: Thank God we don't have to deal with BS like that. Last thing I want is having to swap gear on a per boss basis. >.<

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well all MMOs with item level progression are essentially like that.
    Item level being King is inherent to having a gear treadmill.

As for Resist stats etc: Thank God we don't have to deal with BS like that. Last thing I want is having to swap gear on a per boss basis. >.<
    Is it that big a deal? (Especially with a gear set manager.)

Speaking of iLv ... it kind of beats the point of having levels at all doesn't it. I mean iLv and Lv serve the same purpose in gear treadmill MMOs - they are straight up power increases. Heck, gear might as well not be unequipable, you never unequip them anyway except to toss them aside for replacement. Having gear that can be swap out is pointless.

To be honest I prefer a more horizontal progression path instead of the vertical path that almost every MMO follows these days. I remember Ragnarok Online had a horizontal progression system and it was awesome. That type of system doesn't seem to be popular these days though as people want to feel the difference in power. Sadface.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2016-05-05 at 11:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it that big a deal? (Especially with a gear set manager.)
    Speaking of iLv ... it kind of beats the point of having levels at all doesn't it. I mean iLv and Lv serve the same purpose in gear treadmill MMOs - they are straight up power increases. Heck, gear might as well not be unequipable, you never unequip them anyway except to toss them aside for replacement. Having gear that can be swap out is pointless.
    It is a deal if you factor in the speed at which you gain gear and if you think about a limited inventory space.
    It would be less of a deal if overall acquisition rates were higher and we'd have a wardrobe feature similar to Diablos Transmog system, where gear pieces essentially don't need inventory space.

I always hated leveling. It's a painfully obvious derp timesink w/o purpose. (Spaceing out abilities can be done via elaborate tutorial quests)
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-05-05 at 11:15 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a deal if you factor in the speed at which you gain gear and if you think about a limited inventory space.
    It would be less of a deal if overall acquisition rates were higher and we'd have a wardrobe feature similar to Diablos Transmog system, where gear pieces essentially don't need inventory space.

I always hated leveling. It's a painfully obvious derp timesink w/o purpose. (Spaceing out abilities can be done via elaborate tutorial quests)
    Inventory space is a technical problem.

Gear acquisition can be tuned to be reasonable.

Levelling ... how is that different from the gear treadmill?

10+ Year Old Account
    Levelling ... how is that different from the gear treadmill?
    Normally according to Ghostcrawler: acquisition of new skills and giving the player time to acclimate to each one, learn when to use it and when not to.
    Kinda pointless though if you do a complete 180 and only unlock "the way it's meant to be played" at max level.

What Sodium brings up is why everyone knows glamour is the true end game.

They should put more things hidden away in places, randomly spawning treasure chests with a chance for unique glamour gear, etc.

But then, I can't push for more more more more more since XIV has some of the best crafted gear for looks in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few anime inspired (concept wise) outfits. The Slayers or Log Horizon have some good caster character designs that aren't just robes.