Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

All About That Bass writer says he got $5,679 from 178m streams

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...m-178m-streams
    Kevin Kadish, who wrote All About That Bass, says he made just $5,679 (£3,700) from 178 million streams of the song.
    "I've never heard a songwriter complain about radio royalties as much as streaming royalties," Mr Kadish said.
    "That was the real issue for us, like one million streams equals $90 (£59)."
    Mr Kadish co-wrote All About That Bass with singer Meghan Trainor. After offering the song to other artists and being turned down, Trainor went on to record the track herself.
    It became one of the biggest-selling digital singles of all time and launched her singing career.

"The House Judiciary Committee's copyright review is focused on determining whether our copyright laws are still working in the digital age to reward creativity and innovation in order to ensure these crucial industries can thrive."
    Data released in the US this week shows that there has been a growth in streaming revenues, which increased 23% to reach $1.03bn (£697m) during the first half of 2015.
    Streaming now accounts for one-third of the US music industry's income, which remains relatively flat, with total revenue down 0.5% to $3.17bn (£2.05bn).
    The chairman of the Recording Industry Association of America, Cary Sherman, said the figures showed "the story of a business undergoing an enormous transition."
    However the overall value of vinyl was still far smaller than CDs or digital, according to figures from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
    He also warned that "intense demand and billions of streams does not always equal fair market rates or a fair playing field."
    Deborah Annetts, chief executive of the Incorporated Society of Musicians, said: "It is galling that Kevin Kadish, the writer of one of the biggest-selling digital singles of all time, has been so poorly compensated.
    "While radio plays come with guaranteed payment for all the musicians involved, streaming almost always underpays the individual musicians.
    "Musicians need a right to fair pay, and as streaming grows, global copyright laws need to catch-up or risk destroying the musicians who underpin the value of music. The current situation is unacceptable
    ."

Song writers always get screwed. The entertainment industry is all about perpetuating celebrity worship. He should feel lucky that he gets to help keep sheeple sheepish.

It's retarded how someone doing things as simple as writing a song complains how he doesn't get enough money. I think 5k + is already too much for just writing a song.

I think I'm more offended that this song is "one of the biggest-selling digital singles of all time". Half of the lyrics are the same thing over and over again. Such creative talent.

It just gets droned into your head over and over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only money in Music these days, is live performances. Selling your music via physical media or by allowing it to be listened to via streaming will not make you any money.

This is why seeing bands play live has gotten more expensive. Record Labels (funny name since physical media (records) aren't really used all that much any more) are a business which used to make a ton of money. However since the age of streaming and downloading music has begun, selling you a $1 CD at at a price of $20 isn't really going to fly. We just get our music for free now. We either stream it on our favorite streaming site, or we just download the album from a torrent site. This was a HUGE hit to the record labels, and they needed to tighten up on how much they pay their artists.

If you want to support a musical artist, go to their shows. All those little local bands play shows every week, they aren't making a single cent unless we go to their shows. You could be supporting the next Bob Dylan, or Freddy Mercury by going to your local venue to see new, raw talent. Generally these shows will cost you between $5 and $20 pending on the venue and the day of the week. But it is 100% worth every dollar.

Support Local Music.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    It's retarded how someone doing things as simple as writing a song complains how he doesn't get enough money. I think 5k + is already too much for just writing a song.
    I task you with writing songs for musicians. It is not as easy as it seems.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    Pretty retarded how much the autotune doesn't get paid to help the singers who get paid a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Song writers always get screwed. The entertainment industry is all about perpetuating celebrity worship. He should feel lucky that he gets to help keep sheeple sheepish.
    Well, the lyrics in that song are bad, most lyrics in songs are bad. I don't see a reason why songwriters demand more money if all they do is write few words and the performer does all the job, sing dance, wow people with his/her charisma. Fair pay for the effort in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Well, the lyrics in that song are bad, most lyrics in songs are bad. I don't see a reason why songwriters demand more money if all they do is write few words and the performer does all the job, sing dance, wow people with his/her charisma. Fair pay for the effort in my opinion.
    Because without the song writer, the performer would have nothing to sing.

Music/Performing is not a 1 man job, it is a team effort, all the way from the top at the record labels, down to the bottom at the venues. It takes many people to put together what we listen to, and each person should get their fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Because without the song writer, the performer would have nothing to sing.

Music/Performing is not a 1 man job, it is a team effort, all the way from the top at the record labels, down to the bottom at the venues. It takes many people to put together what we listen to, and each person should get their fair share.
    Do you follow around song writers and ask them for autographs and give them your 99 cents? No? Well then it's your fault.

People just sheepishly consume entertainment without any consideration to where their dollar goes. And that's why songwriters have historically always gotten screwed over.

Deleted
    This article is from September of last year, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you follow around song writers and ask them for autographs and give them your 99 cents? No? Well then it's your fault.

People just sheepishly consume entertainment without any consideration to where their dollar goes. And that's why songwriters have historically always gotten screwed over.
    There are many thankless jobs, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be compensated for their work. Again, without the song writers, the performer would have no content.

For example, did you know that Sir Elton John, one of the greatest rock musicians of our time, also has a song writer? He has been working with the same person to write songs for decades.

As a person who is a musician, I pay attention to these things. I don't expect the common listener to though. But what the know or don't know about what happens behind the scenes isn't important. It is important however that songwriters are appropriately compensated. If they have a problem with the deal they have worked out with the record label, then they should bring it up to them.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the most thankless jobs in the music industry is actually sound technicians.

If anyone of you who read this thread are aspiring musicians, I give you this golden gem of advise.

"Always introduce yourself to your sound technician. Learn their name. And at the end of the night, thank them if they made you sound good on stage."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    There are many thankless jobs, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be compensated for their work. Again, without the song writers, the performer would have no content.

For example, did you know that Sir Elton John, one of the greatest rock musicians of our time, also has a song writer? He has been working with the same person to write songs for decades.

As a person who is a musician, I pay attention to these things. I don't expect the common listener to though. But what the know or don't know about what happens behind the scenes isn't important. It is important however that songwriters are appropriately compensated. If they have a problem with the deal they have worked out with the record label, then they should bring it up to them.
    Again, people buy the record/song on itunes or whatever based on their love of the singer. They don't say.. "Well.. I like this song...but the producer is giving the songwriter an unfair share...so I'm going to buy a different song instead". Just doesn't happen.
    Until people stop being such sheep with their money it's never going to happen. That's why we have blood minerals, and shitty wages.

EDIT: Did you know that Elton John said he would come to my city and sign a concert piano that would be auctioned off for charity, but upon arrival he threw a gigantic tantrum at the airport because they wouldn't let him skip the security process just because he was Elton John so he turned around and left? The guys a fuck wad.

Burton Cummings, however, upon hearing the news, without even being asked, came and signed it instead.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-10 at 12:56 PM.

"Musicians need a right to fair pay..."
    This isn't how rights work and it isn't a coherent definition of "fair" anywhere other than in his own conceit. I don't see anything particularly unfair about him being unable to sell his labor for any more money than what he was paid. Were his skills as rare and valuable as he seems to believe they are, he'd be able to monetize them much more effectively.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't being a "sheep". It's a rational approach to consumption. It's neither here nor there to me what a song-writer receives. I listen to music that I find enjoyable to listen to. In the case of some catchy Meghan Trainor song, I have no particular reason to place great value on the eminently replacement song-writer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, people buy the record/song on itunes or whatever based on their love of the singer. They don't say.. "Well.. I like this song...but the producer is giving the songwriter an unfair share...so I'm going to buy a different song instead". Just doesn't happen.

Until people stop being such sheep with their money it's never going to happen. That's why we have blood minerals, and shitty wages.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the consumer though. It has to do with the contract they have with the label. Obviously the consumers are still streaming the music. But the song writer is getting such a tiny percentage of the media sales (Stream Sales). They need to work out better contracts.

When it comes to the consumer, I still urge people to go to shows more often. Even the singer/performer doesn't get paid well from streaming, or even physical album sales. The best way to support an artist you enjoy, is to pay admission to their performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This isn't how rights work and it isn't a coherent definition of "fair" anywhere other than in his own conceit. I don't see anything particularly unfair about him being unable to sell his labor for any more money than what he was paid. Were his skills as rare and valuable as he seems to believe they are, he'd be able to monetize them much more effectively.
    As I keep saying this would be true in a world that wasn't full of sheepish consumers that don't give a fuck where their money comes from/goes.

They want the 5 dollar t-shirt sewn in Cambodia while they complain that the t-shirt factory they worked at gets closed down and moved to Cambodia and now they have to work for minimum wage.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is wrong to look at this way, his first song that is a success has now put him on the map more artists will want to work with him this opens more doors.

Also the lyrics are one part, people often forget a song has to be produced, marketed and what not a large chunk of the costs go there, let the service such as spotify take their cut and so much isn't left.

Take note that lady gaga also just used to be a song writer and was completely on the background till she was smart enough to use connections to launch her own carreer and we all know how that ended, first commercial success and now she does exclusively projects she wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    It is wrong to look at this way, his first song that is a success has now put him on the map more artists will want to work with him this opens more doors.

Also the lyrics are one part, people often forget a song has to be produced, marketed and what not a large chunk of the costs go there, let the service such as spotify take their cut and so much isn't left.

Take note that lady gaga also just used to be a song writer and was completely on the background till she was smart enough to use connections to launch her own carreer and we all know how that ended, first commercial success and now she does exclusively projects she wants to do.
    Wait, do song writers ONLY write the lyrics?

As I keep saying this would be true in a world that wasn't full of sheepish consumers that don't give a fuck where their money comes from/goes.

They want the 5 dollar t-shirt sewn in Cambodia while they complain that the t-shirt factory they worked at gets closed down and moved to Cambodia and now they have to work for minimum wage.
    I have no idea how you think rational consumption is being a "sheep". No one's following anyone when they choose to acquire the best product they can at the lowest possible price. Quite the opposite.

Also, the idea that people should have the time or inclination to determine the means of production and proportional compensation for every $5 shirt they buy or streamed song they listen to is insane. Good luck with that quixotic quest, but I'm going to guess that you're gonna just wind up irritated with those horrible "sheep" for streaming songs without tracking down a sound tech to give a dollar to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

People seem to think that being a musician is just a few people throwing together some music and then magically getting picked up by a label, and placed in a studio for some fun and games...then Poof! Success!

There is sooooo much more to it than this, and so many people involved. Even as a little rock band, we have to work with tons of people all the time to get our music out and heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, do song writers ONLY write the lyrics?
    Some add like a basic baseline or guitar rif to it but the song is far from complete at that point. Of course to write a song you need some sense of rhythm.