Page 1 of 58
... LastLast

The Great American Lie: Work Earns Living Wage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...vernment-help/

A staggering number of people with factory jobs still need government help

It us to be that these blue-collar jobs provided a "ladder to the middle class" for workers without college degrees, said Jacobs, the chair of Berkeley's Center for Labor Research and Education. The findings show, Jacobs said that “with manufacturing jobs, production jobs, that’s really no longer true. The new production jobs are less likely to be union and more likely to be low wages.”

Many of the workers who draw supplementary government assistance work full time, in jobs that, like Wade's, are staffed through temping agencies. Nearly half the families of production workers who logged at least 35 hours a week, 45 weeks a year, and who were employed through staffing agencies, received government welfare of some kind, the report found

Jacobs and his co-authors say the simple explanation of what's happening is that many manufacturing jobs do not pay as much, per hour, as Americans expect them to. It's notable that eight of the 10 states that top the list of percentage of production workers whose families draw assistance live in the South, where manufacturing wages are historically lower and unions less prevalent. (The other two, conversely, are high-wage California and New York.)
    Conservatives will no doubt rewrite history and say these people don't deserve to be paid a living wage. This is what happens when the wealthy go unchecked.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post

Conservatives will no doubt rewrite history and say these people don't deserve to be paid a living wage.
    But... They're not supposed to make a career doing these shit jobs! They're supposed to go to college to get a master's degree (and an unpayable debt known as a Student Loan) to qualify for a good job in their field that surely is a plenty of positions for! /s just in case it was not obvious.

Deleted
    What are you going on about?

I'm sorry Bernie isn't going to be the nominee but people don't assume any and all work equals middle class for what... 30 years at this point?

Deleted
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...vernment-help/ Conservatives will no doubt rewrite history and say these people don't deserve to be paid a living wage. This is what happens when the wealthy go unchecked.

May i interest you in studies showing that an American with a HS 'degree' would earn about 8% more if there would be no mass immigration?
    Course, that may force you to reconsider your positions...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post

I'm sorry Bernie isn't going to be the nominee but people don't assume any and all work equals middle class for what... 30 years at this point?
    That's because it largely used too.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    But... They're not supposed to make a career doing these shit jobs! They're supposed to go to college to get a master's degree (and an unpayable debt known as a Student Loan) to qualify for a good job in their field that surely is a plenty of positions for!
    Its incredible how ass backwards the cons have become.

They tout small midwest America but don't give 2 shits that Wal-Mart has bulldozed virtually all traditional small businesses like hardware stores, pharmacies, etc. They tout small town farm culture but defend Big Ag which has literally destroyed most family farms. Now they're gonna shit all over what used to be the backbone of America, factory jobs, all so the 1% can get even more while they vote for the embodiment of that corporate greed in Trump.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Deleted
    Its incredible how ass backwards the cons have become.

They tout small midwest America but don't give 2 shits that Wal-Mart has bulldozed virtually all traditional small businesses like hardware stores, pharmacies, etc. They tout small town farm culture but defend Big Ag which has literally destroyed most family farms. Now they're gonna shit all over what used to be the backbone of America, factory jobs, all so the 1% can get even more while they vote for the embodiment of that corporate greed in Trump.
    Well the democrats where in power for eight years... what changed exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    May i interest you in studies showing that an American with a HS 'degree' would earn about 8% more if there would be no mass immigration?

- - - Updated - - -

Mass immigration? lol.

Can I interest you in the studies that show you that Big Ag is bringing in the majority of illegals so they have a workforce with limited rights they can pay like crap?

Oh no, you won't care about that.

- - - Updated - - -

No they weren't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would that elevate them above the poverty line? Would there then be the same amount of demand that is the basis for them having a job? Could you link to that study please?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

It doesn't take much to figure how that Living Wage is more then you'll ever make.

It is very simple math.

Step 1: Remember that a "Full Time Work WeeK" is five days at 8 hours a shift.. So someone working five days a week is considered to be working "Full Time"

Step 2: Ask how much that person is making each shift.

Step 3: Take that number and multiply it by 2 (2 weeks = payday)

Now try to pay bills, Rent, Groceries, Life Utilities, Personal Spending Etc...

Considering that someone who works full time spends more time at work then in his apartment, one would THINK that they would be able to buy themselves all the necessities of life on a week to week basis.

Key word: "THINK"

The idea is that through frugal living and careful spending (living in poverty pretty much) you'll make JUST enough to live a shitty life with more time spent at work then at home. That apparently is the standard these days.
    Last edited by XangXu; 2016-05-10 at 01:38 PM.

Entry level jobs? No ...you won't make a "living" wage in most "professions/unskilled labor".
    So, you are right (1)hard work as well as (2)self improvement(skill/job based training or "higher" learning) in order to get jobs (or make them) that pay more, is the American dream...they should add the part 2 to it to it.

You can't just waltz into Mc Donalds put on your paper hat and day one make enough to cover your rent,food,bills no matter where you live.

Picking the right job,is important as well.

Ditch digger starts the job ...shows up on time, never missing a day ...promotes to forman(more money)....continues doing a good job, showing up every day and making sure his crews do their job correctly, he promotes to supervisor(more money)....and promotes one of his ditch diggers to forman.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-05-10 at 01:38 PM.

Ya...As long as one is willing to work, the min wage used to be enough to get a guy out of poverty (Not enough for a family though).

"In 1978, a student who worked a minimum-wage summer job could afford to pay a year's full tuition at the 4-year public university of their choice."
    Rated "Mostly True" (Most colleges. Not just any)

Between the purchasing power of the dollar, and min wage...not exactly parity with inflation, but not being too bad, things were good.

I guess I find it a bit fucked when a person needs to work at least a couple of min wage jobs just to keep his/her head above water...and still gets called "lazy" for wanting better. "Better" being what we used to have.

Having a member of the Democratic Party in the White House does not equate to having power. The Republican Party has maintained a majority in the House of Representatives for six of Obama's eight years, and they have both the House and the Senate for his last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Entry level jobs? No ...you won't make a "living" wage in most "professions/unskilled labor".
    So, you are right (1)hard work as well as (2)self improvement(skill/job based training or "higher" learning) in order to get jobs (or make them) that pay more, is the American dream...they should add the part 2 to it to it.

Ditch digger starts the job ...shows up on time, never missing a day ...promotes to forman(more money)....continues doing a good job, showing up every day and making sure his crews do their job correctly, he promotes to supervisor(more money)....and promotes one of his ditch diggers to forman.
    Meanwhile you have no place to live, not much to eat, and the rags on your back need to be replaced.

I see some people are starting to see how it all falls apart trying to defend the "you aren't as skilled as me" argument.

Okay well make your schools better? No chance?

How about reducing the costs of post-education? No?

Okay well do you want me to go into the oil fields up north and make tons of money at the cost of the environment and my health all while making rich corporations richer? Yes?

Fuck off.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If employers are not compelled to pay a living wage they wont. Trickle down doesnt work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Conservatives will no doubt rewrite history and say these people don't deserve to be paid a living wage. This is what happens when the wealthy go unchecked.
    have you been in a Walmart lately? I'm amazed that anyone pays them, anything at all, and will no longer shop there, mainly for that very reason.

There's a couple of things going on. The lady in the article is a temp worker, not a perminent employee. She might be hoping they hire her on full time. I hate this because she'll work extra hard for the low wage to prove herself.

Anyone can do the work she's doing so even without a lot of unemployed people to select from, employers have plenty of people for these kind of jobs.

The job requires zero expertise so if she quits, it's no loss to the company.

I'm not sure how much a job like that is supposed to pay.

And they might hire her on full time in the end.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I've also noticed an increase in companies that go through temp agencies to use temps til their time is up and then let them go and get another temp instead of hiring one in. Saw that alot at the plastics factory I worked at a few years ago.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Meanwhile you have no place to live, not much to eat, and the rags on your back need to be replaced.
    Planning...foresight....taking responsibility for yourself , it won't be fun or easy...it never has been or said it would be.
    I rented a room with 2 other people,I shopped at Goodwill for clothing that would work for me (amazing actually I still have some of the sweatshirts I bought...damn near new) I don't think I wore a t-shirt that didn't have a logo of some type on it for ...7 years...free shirts.I ate a LOT of Ramen/Beans/Rice and hot sauce in my lean years. I got really good at getting 2 for one 1/2 off coupons for meat and veggies in stores, learning to scrap/survive is a good thing

This is after my Hitch in the military...I had a plan, I knew where I wanted to go...I just needed to figure out how to get there.

10+ Year Old Account

Sounds able right. Seems to be in line with lowering the marginal tax rate.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=us+ta...AQIEA#mhpiv=18