Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    kind of want my country(germany) to leave too...
    i know we actually have a good bit of pull... wich is to say the politicians do, gerneral voters don't

i can not remember ever voting for anything regarding the EU...

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    London is a global city and always has had a diverse population
    Have Brits always been a minority?

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    the issue in my eyes isn't immigration, it's dissipation.
    This is the real problem. Numbers get thrown about like 0.2% of the population being immigrants but what happens is that they congregate in areas. You can live somewhere in England and never see anyone with a skin shade beyond a frothy latte. Alternatively you get towns where being a historical native makes you the minority.

Much like in WoW where you get servers that become 'unofficial' languages, towns and cities also get the same reputation. Immigrants move their families in with them and buy houses in the area when available, whom go to the children or extended family. The process repeats ad infinitum. It has a very noticeable effect on some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Daljo View Post
    This is the real problem. Numbers get thrown about like 0.2% of the population being immigrants but what happens is that they congregate in areas. You can live somewhere in England and never see anyone with a skin shade beyond a frothy latte. Alternatively you get towns where being a historical native makes you the minority.

Much like in WoW where you get servers that become 'unofficial' languages, towns and cities also get the same reputation. Immigrants move their families in with them and buy houses in the area when available, whom go to the children or extended family. The process repeats ad infinitum. It has a very noticeable effect on some areas.
    This is indeed a problem, but one that can be solved. In Germany they just decided that refugees can not choose where they want to settle, exactly to prevent those kind of ghettos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Have Brits always been a minority?
    Thing is, "Brits" includes Asian-British and black-British so it's a bit of a misnomer to only use it to refer to white people. Yeah, white people are now outnumbered by non-white people in London, but whites are still the single largest ethnic group. Besides which, it doesn't even really make sense to lump people of Black-Caribbean descent in with Asian-Indians to make them a "larger" group, because those countries have vastly different cultures. What we're really talking about here is "foreigners" or first-gen migrants, and they still are the minority versus Brits.

Here's some census data:

The 2011 census recorded that 2,998,264 people or 36.7% of London's population are foreign-born (including 24.5% born in a non-European country) making London the city with the second largest immigrant population, behind New York City, in terms of absolute numbers.
    According to the 2011 Census, 6,083,420 or 77.9% of London's population aged 3 and over spoke English as a main language, with a further 1,406,912 (19.8%) speaking it as a second language or well to very well. 271,693 (3.5%) could not speak English well, while 47,917 (0.6%) could not speak English at all. 2,456 (<0.1%) spoke other UK minority languages, with the most common being Welsh and 2,926 (<0.1%) used British Sign Language.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-05-15 at 04:22 PM.

We've a fair few Polish, but they typically keep to themselves. While I can understand being slow to warm to the natives here, the troubles may be over but it's still not exactly a place you want to get overly talkative about nationality. It'll get better, plenty of Asians of various nationalities integrated well enough, helps take the stigma of being an immigrant when you sell food natives like eating when drunk I suppose >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Thing is, "Brits" includes Asian-British and Black-British so it's a bit of a misnomer to only use it to refer to White people (some of whom may not be British). Yeah, white people are now outnumbered by non-white people in London, but whites are still the single largest ethnic group. Besides which, it doesn't even really make sense to lump people of Black-Caribbean descent in with Asian-Indians to make them a "larger" group, because those countries have vastly different cultures. What we're really talking about here is "foreigners" or first-gen migrants, and they still are the minority versus Brits.

Here's some census data:
    When I say Brits I just mean ethnic British. From that perspective (a valid one) it's easy to think London has been 'swamped' by foreigners.

When I say Brits I just mean ethnic British. From that perspective (a valid one) it's easy to think London has been 'swamped' by foreigners.
    It's not a valid one. If your born in Britain you're British.

Skin colour is of no importance when it comes to British nationality or citizenship.
    British culture isn't either. There's a lot more to being British than having a citizenship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    No? Even just going by demography, why are black brits called Black-British instead of British? As I mentioned, it also refers to ancestry and ethnicity.

10+ Year Old Account
    London has a strong history of non-British people living in it, it was after all founded by non-British people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I would say raised is a greater qualifier than just born, e.g. Boris Johnson was born in the US, he is British.

No? Even just going by demography, why are black brits called Black-British instead of British? As I mentioned, it also refers to ancestry and ethnicity.
    Because they are British. I'm White British.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    London has a strong history of non-British people living in it, it was after all founded by non-British people.
    But it has a stronger history of being British dominated - that's not so true today.

I would say raised is a greater qualifier than just born, e.g. Boris Johnson was born in the US, he is British.
    More than one way to skin a cat. My point stands though that if you're born in Britain you're British.

Can you expand on this statement.

I'd be interested to know what you think it means to be British, or what criteria (beyond citizenship) is required to be met in order to be considered British.
    To be of British ancestry. That's pretty much it actually. I'd consider a black guy whose parents were brits to be part British. There's not much new about this notion. Look at the ancestry of the US. Do they speak german, irish, scottish, british, etc...? Ethnically and ancestrally they are German even though they aren't citizens of Germany.

Although having british culture is different as well, and just being a citizen doesn't make you have british culture. I'm sure you can agree to that. Someone who doesn't speak the language or have any of its culture but is a citizen, isn't really much of a brit.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it has a stronger history of being British dominated - that's not so true today.
    It still is British dominated, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Deleted
    I rather want to see a horror movie about capitalism... supply and demand showing how it keeps itself working in EU, US etc. while on the other side the children who has grown up too much will now suffer hunger and eat dirt because the cacoa bushes will bend now when he tries to climb them. How the feudal system works on one side and capitalism on the other. Then in the end a business man from EU/US etc will be shown how they completely control the feudal system and how supply and demand is a lie that keeps people in their trauma.

That would be awesome horror that will thrill everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be of British ancestry. That's pretty much it. I'd consider a black guy whose parents were brits to be part British. There's not much new about this notion. Look at the ancestry of the US. Do they speak german, irish, scottish, british, etc...? Ethnically and ancestrally they are German even though they aren't citizens of Germany.
    What is British ancestry? No Hugenots? No Normans? How far back do you go?

It still is British dominated, so I'm not sure what you mean.
    I just mean it's a lot less british, with the multiculturalism that's grown

- - - Updated - - -

What is British ancestry? No Hugenots? No Normans? How far back do you go?
    There's always room for more detail. It wouldn't really make sense to call someone whose family has been there for hundreds of years to be as british as a new immigrant from pakistan. Like I alluded earlier, there's also a difference between culturally and ethnically british, and I'm mostly talking ethnically.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

That explains so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Ugh..
    Either get the fuck out of the EU or stay in.
    But this constant threatening has made it lose all meaning.
    I wouldn't want to leave the EU (Germany), but I am a bit jealous that we can't vote on staying or leaving as well. Hell, we couldn't even vote when it came to keeping our money (Deutsche Mark) or accepting the Euro.

I mean the vast majority would also vote to stay in the EU (as of now), but it's about the principle. I think people in general would be a lot less mad and pessimistic if we had the option to vote and vent on certain questions too.