Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    If that's what you were doing you were doing it wrong. There were always visual ques by design when you were facing a secret.
    No there weren't. I don't know what sort of color coded Doom you were playing, but I'd wager MOST of the secrets didn't have visual queues. Especially in the later stages. Yes, some of them did, I am certainly not arguing that point. But not nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except when keys are sold that were purchased using credit card fraud, so the money was charged back. Except when keys are sold that "fell off a truck". Except when it's a key purchased in another region where things are much cheaper and then resold elsewhere so devs get a fraction of the money they would have normally received from a sale in that region.

There's a reason that G2A provides insurance in case your key gets revoked by the developer/publisher while authorized digital storefronts do not. I mean, that alone speaks volumes.
    Would you fucking lay off the G2A hate in this thread please? We already have a G2A hate thread, go bitch there. For a mod, you are really terrible about derailing threads. We get it, you hate G2A because the poor billion dollar company doesn't get their full moneyz. Wa Wa Wa. This is a thread about Doom, not G2A.

Anyway.

For as much as people are claiming this game has no story, I'm finding that it has just the right amount of story. And not just the main quest story, but the yummy yummy LORE about who you are and such. Loooooooove that part. SO COOL.

Also, haven't run into a Pinky yet. When do they come in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Argent Facility (Destroyed), IIRC.

No there weren't. I don't know what sort of color coded Doom you were playing, but I'd wager MOST of the secrets didn't have visual queues. Especially in the later stages. Yes, some of them did, I am certainly not arguing that point. But not nearly enough.

Would you fucking lay off the G2A hate in this thread please? We already have a G2A hate thread, go bitch there. For a mod, you are really terrible about derailing threads. We get it, you hate G2A because the poor billion dollar company doesn't get their full moneyz. Wa Wa Wa. This is a thread about Doom, not G2A.

Anyway.

For as much as people are claiming this game has no story, I'm finding that it has just the right amount of story. And not just the main quest story, but the yummy yummy LORE about who you are and such. Loooooooove that part. SO COOL.

Pinkies come into play when you get back from Hell the first time I believe.

Also.......the invisible Pinkies return as well.

Know what I wish would return? Pain Elementals. We haven't seen those guys in ages
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Well, you maybe played some bootlegged one because about all secrets had some ques, either by sound if activation in distance or wall texture was slightly different from others along the wall. Now you may argue against that but you'll be sorely wrong. Romero himself said that when designing map secrets the main thing was always to leave some clue behind.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2016-05-17 at 12:01 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Well, you maybe played some bootlegged one because about all secrets had some ques, either by voice if activation in distance or wall texture was slightly different from others along the wall. Now you may argue against that but you'll be sorely wrong. Romero himself said that when designing map secrets the main thing was always to leave some clue behind.
    ID has lied to us about stuff before!

I mean....the game isn't even 3D (and neither was Wolfenstein!)

There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Single-Player - 59/60

[B]Pros: [/B] Almost everything! Wait till you see the game with the Nvidia 1080...

[B]Cons: [/B] Only 13 levels. Game time was about 12 hours for me and I found half the secrets but pretty much rolled through the game.

I also found the Plasma Rifle to be useless compared too the Gauss Rifle (which used the same ammo)

Some jumping at Argent Tower got a little annoying.

No recurring boss monsters! They should of added another Cyberdemon or two in the Hell arena's on harder difficulties.

Multi-Player - 16/20

Pros: Greatly improved over the Alpha/Beta.

Demon rune and power weapons have been nerfed.

Cons: There is some glaring balance issues but I expect that too be fixed at some point.

Fucking Load-outs (that alone takes a few points off)

Snap-Map - 14/20

Pros: I can make maps easily!

Logic editor is awesome!

Cons: 12 monster limit

Load-Outs in SnapMaps ... 3 dkp minus

Consolitis

Average Score - 89/100

Talking about buying or not buying Doom for X place is still on topic since its about Doom...

Edit:

Wow highly impressed with how well Doom runs on the GTX 970 even if its 1080p. Also quite surprised how bad the R9 390 runs at the same settings.

Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-05-17 at 12:32 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

A DOOM announcement on Steam popped few minutes ago saying that there is a new AMD driver made to increase the game performance its GPUs... still i read people having issues starting the game or their OS after installing the update <.<'
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Talking about buying or not buying Doom for X place is still on topic since its about Doom...

Edit:

Wow highly impressed with how well Doom runs on the GTX 970 even if its 1080p. Also quite surprised how bad the R9 390 runs at the same settings.

Saddly, despite having a 970 I cannot play DooM on PC.

My CPU isn't up to snuff, I hardly get to use a fraction of my 970's potential because of that :\

I cant afford to upgrade atm, either, saving up to move....

So I had to settle for the PS4 version, which still runs at 60fps 1080p for the most part. Itll dip below those on HEAVY action sequences but it's so subtle you never really notice it. The game stays smooth all the way through. The engine they made for this game is amazingly well optimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Saddly, despite having a 970 I cannot play DooM on PC.

My CPU isn't up to snuff, I hardly get to use a fraction of my 970's potential because of that :\

I cant afford to upgrade atm, either, saving up to move....
    Just wondering what CPU are you using?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

So I had to settle for the PS4 version, which still runs at 60fps 1080p for the most part. Itll dip below those on HEAVY action sequences but it's so subtle you never really notice it. The game stays smooth all the way through. The engine they made for this game is amazingly well optimized.
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of games using dynamic resolution scaling this gen. The tech is neat as hell.

Now I'm just hoping that Bethesda will actually make use of it across their other games (HELLO ELDER SCROLLS). Even without Carmack id is still making fantastic engines, and it's a damn shame that Bethesda won't use or license them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Just wondering what CPU are you using?
    AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.60GHz

Its an older CPU, I need a new one but lack funds. The only reason I splurged for the 970 was my 570 was dying so I HAD to get a new GPU. Figured I may as well get a 970 since it would last me a while.

...then nVIDIA had to go and announce that the 1070 will be available next month for the same price I paid for a 970 3 months ago

Yeah, I'm a big fan of games using dynamic resolution scaling this gen. The tech is neat as hell.

Now I'm just hoping that Bethesda will actually make use of it across their other games (HELLO ELDER SCROLLS). Even without Carmack id is still making fantastic engines, and it's a damn shame that Bethesda won't use or license them out.
    Really cool benchmark to watch if you haven't yet.

The tech for the Ps4/Xb1 may be old but I am impressed with how much juice company's are getting out of them. If they don't (never noticed) I wish there was a Dynamic resolution setting for PC games. That would make PC hardware last so much longer IMO.

I like that he said he will never play the game with Motion Blur disabled...

...Turning it off was the first thing I did before I started playing XD
    Then I turned the FoV to 110.

Other than that nitpick: Amazing comparison video from them as usual. Like that the game is running well on both consoles, but the PS4 does have a leg up due to stronger hardware.

Glad I chose the PS4 version, as I do also own an XBONE.

(and on a side note: To further improve your games performance, remove the cover sleeve of the game....flip it around...and reinsert it. Don't ask how this improves performance, it just does as now the games cover art is 10000x better).

I like that he said he will never play the game with Motion Blur disabled...

...Turning it off was the first thing I did before I started playing XD
    Then I turned the FoV to 110.
    Yeah, I can't stand motion blur -_-

No clue how folks can play with it on.

(and on a side note: To further improve your games performance, remove the cover sleeve of the game....flip it around...and reinsert it. Don't ask how this improves performance, it just does as now the games cover art is 10000x better).
    True fax. Though part of me is sad that that minimalist alternate cover didn't win. It was just super slick, I really dug the design on it, even if the existing alternate cover is probably infinitely more appropriate. Should have just replaced the boring stupid "normal" cover with it.

Yeah, I can't stand motion blur -_-

No clue how folks can play with it on.

True fax. Though part of me is sad that that minimalist alternate cover didn't win. It was just super slick, I really dug the design on it, even if the existing alternate cover is probably infinitely more appropriate. Should have just replaced the boring stupid "normal" cover with it.
    I love the one that won, tbh. It's a nice tribute to the ORIGINAL Cover for DooM but modernized.

And for those who don't have a console version here is the alternative cover art that's on the backside of the normal one:

And here is the one that didn't make the cut:

Ye, the homage to the original art should have been the standard cover, the other one the alternate version. Seriously, how on earth did the current cover make it through approvals without someone pointing out how painfully boring and generic it is -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    I find this game pretty damn dull.

No story, no dialogues or even some significant amount of voice acting, no plot, no friendly npcs interaction, no vehicle action, "DOOM SLAYER" (I facepalmed when I heard it), difficulty is pretty low even on Ultra Violence or w/e is called (died more due to failing at platforming than to mobs), extremely linear. The entire game seems to be only about killing monsters, and when you're not killing monsters, you are running towards the next arena-like area where you kill monsters.

It's a good game for the year 1993, unfortunately we are in 2016 and a lot of players want more than that. I mean how can we compare a masterpiece like Wolfenstein: New Order to Doom of 2016?! There is no comparison whatsoever.

Played 6 hours and got bored and bailed. I guess I should have trusted my gut and stopped playing it before I went over the 2 hour timelimit for Steam refunds.
    Wolfenstein: New Order bored me to death with it's "deep" story, full of cutscenes and npc interaction. I just wanted to kill some goddamned nazis in the most brutal way!

Add the fact that you have to press a button to pick up items and that all enemies have hitscan attacks that you can't avoid forcing you to stay in cover and the end result is a slow feeling shooter.

Mind you, I could see that the game had quality, just wasn't what I was looking for!

So yeah, give me Doom over it anytime.

Ye, the homage to the original art should have been the standard cover, the other one the alternate version. Seriously, how on earth did the current cover make it through approvals without someone pointing out how painfully boring and generic it is -_-
    My guess is this:

They wanted the game to be shelf friendly for stores. So that parents wouldn't walk into, say Gamestop, to buy their little Billy a game and then see one COVERED WITH SATANS ALL OVER IT! And start a shitstorm against ID and Bethesda for being Satanists. So I believe they were trying to protect themselves from todays modern (moron) Parents.

You know, the same ones who took their children to see the Rated R Deadpool movie, than went online to complain about it not being suitable for their children (...it was rated R...you KNEW it was rated R when you went in!) and then started petitions to get it censored.

So my theory is they did it to just avoid that annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
    Wolfenstein: New Order bored me to death with it's "deep" story, full of cutscenes and npc interaction. I just wanted to kill some goddamned nazis in the most brutal way!

Add the fact that you have to press a button to pick up items and that all enemies have hitscan attacks that you can't avoid forcing you to stay in cover and the end result is a slow feeling shooter.

Mind you, I could see that the game had quality, just wasn't what I was looking for!

So yeah, give me Doom over it anytime.
    I rather liked New Order, though. Wolfenstein is a series that lends itself to having a storyline, whereas DooM really does not. I like how this can be used to distinguish the two so you can have IDs story driven series (Wolfenstein) and their gameplay driven series (DooM).

Yeah it does really slow down when you stop to look for secrets, but the originals did that as well.;

BUT the one thing the originals had that this one doesn't? Humping Walls to try and find hidden doors!

"OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF OOMF!" *door opens* YAY!
    That feeling when you spent an hour OOMFing room after room only to realise the secret is actually opened by a tripwire on the other side of the level.

If that's what you were doing you were doing it wrong. There were always visual ques by design when you were facing a secret.
    Only the easy ones! Even in E1M1 two of the secrets are triggered by invisible tripwires outside the room.

- - - Updated - - -

They wanted the game to be shelf friendly for stores. So that parents wouldn't walk into, say Gamestop, to buy their little Billy a game and then see one COVERED WITH SATANS ALL OVER IT! And start a shitstorm against ID and Bethesda for being Satanists. So I believe they were trying to protect themselves from todays modern (moron) Parents.
    Let us not forget the exact same thing happened with the original Doom :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.