Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I feel like even against that you could stand a pretty good chance of surviving if you didn't shit your pants upon seeing them and held formation, because infantry would still be able to pack more mass in the same area and you wouldn't just get tossed aside, not all of you at any rate. Still, I imagine that pants shitting was the usual outcome and they would just be able to ride you down one by one at their leisure.
    Absolutely, since most the armies were not highly trained killing machines. They were country men who were enlisted to fight for their king.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like even against that you could stand a pretty good chance of surviving if you didn't shit your pants upon seeing them and held formation, because infantry would still be able to pack more mass in the same area and you wouldn't just get tossed aside, not all of you at any rate. Still, I imagine that pants shitting was the usual outcome and they would just be able to ride you down one by one at their leisure.
    All you have to do is break a hole in your enemy's line. Whether you break it by breaking the enemy's will to fight or by physically driving lances through a large number of them, heavy cavalry is pretty effective at breaking lines. Then you can send your infantry into the hole to sweep up.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-05-17 at 06:50 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Better hope you connect though, otherwise you are left wide open and defenseless.
    I can see it being handy in a shield-wall if you can get a swing going, but probably better just to have a short sword to poke at people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'll see your small handgun and raise you katanapistol.

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NcUHMAebCKU/TdZvVy39zSI/AAAAAAAAAtA/qs20r4fRq54/s1600/sword%2Bpistol.jpg[IMG]
    That's one of the most awesome things I've ever seen!

During the time. Yes. However most firearms were single fire black powder weapons. Useless if wet, slow to reload, not very accurate, and delicate (meaning, things can easily just stop working).

If you have a full lined up squad firing weapons (much like the old school British military) they were effective. But not in a melee. You'd get 1 shot, then have to go right back to your blade.
    If we are talking about that time, then I agree with you. The firing weapons were also highly inaccurate, so it was quite hard to stop someone in a 1v1 fight from distance; and if you've missed, you are dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

LMAO! That would break soooo fast.

If you want a true weapon of precision and strength.
    <snip>
    Can confirm, that wall of scrambled text hit me for way more than any katana-pistol could.

Absolutely, since most the armies were not highly trained killing machines. They were country men who were enlisted to fight for their king.
    Given the prevalence of heavy cavalry in the medieval period I'm surprised that long pikes didn't become common until later. I mean, they had already proven their effectiveness in antiquity and I'm sure if I were a peasant conscript I'd feel a hell of a lot better with a 15 foot "safe space" between me and whatever crazy winged knight is coming my way.

Franciscas are where it's at for alternative weapons anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll see your small handgun and raise you katanapistol.

Dammit. I can't link the picture due to firewall restrictions.

But if you are real serious about your weapons....Katana with a scope..for extra precision of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always figured they were fairly ineffective weapons. Seems too hard to control to be effective, even in a 1v1 situation. You'd be praying to the seven gods it connects or you're going to be fucked the second it misses

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Can confirm, that wall of scrambled text hit me for way more than any katana-pistol could.
    My company has the strangest things blocked on our firewall, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Weren't those first making their debut in the late 1600's?
    Greeks used a Kopis on horseback so it dates quite back, while not the main purpose it was very effective on horseback.
    Last edited by Mavett; 2016-05-17 at 07:07 PM.

I've heard the theory that the mace and chain we get in art has too short a chain and is generally used as a warding instrument than a weapon. You swing it around and entangle spears and scare the piss out of horses or entangle their legs. It makes much more sense as a reusable bola than a man to man weapon.

"The chain is it's biggest draw back." Riiiight. It totally doesn't allow it to wrap up weapons and disarm people.

Deleted
    sectioned weapons have advantages, but also a whole host of disadvantages. You have to be precise in strikes to avoid bounce back, but they are very hard to defend against, as you can effectively bypass normal blocks and shields.

Definately not mass formation weapons and would require a high level of proficiency to use, but if you are proficient with one, someone who has not trained to counter them specifically will likely be easy to defeat.

This kind of long chain flail is an extreme, single jointed weapons are much more viable.

Katana made from glorious Japanese steel folded over a thousand times and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth.
    Katanas can cut through tanks.

Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Weren't those first making their debut in the late 1600's?
    Sabers are from the ancient Hungarian region before the Magyars when it had Celts. They are much, much older than the late 1600s

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Katanas can cut through tanks.

Totally.
    Well we know that they can cut through plane wings.

Um except they were real

Quote Originally Posted by Diak0n0s View Post
    You can use a flail to hit behind a shield.
    This was my impression. Not that I know anything about this subject that isn't informed by ridiculous sources.

Ultimately I would imagine a flail was a higher skill weapon, just like nunchucks. Not a grab & bash like a mace.

Deleted
    I'm sure if I were a peasant conscript I'd feel a hell of a lot better with a 15 foot "safe space" between me and whatever crazy winged knight is coming my way.
    The probelm is that you and your peasant conscript frends have to march and maneuver on the battlefield holding 15 foot pikes... if you and your frends could do so effectively, you and yours frends are not a peasant conscripts but skilled Swiss mercenaries....