Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 49 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    In addition to that though, I'd like to add that anyone planning on buying a 1070/1080 should keep an eye on what AMD releases next month as well as we have no real data on that either, just like we have little real data on the 1070.
    Nvidia just released the specs of the 1070. Saying it is about 70% faster than a 970. With some calculating, it should perform around the level of an stock 980ti or a bit better.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10se...force-gtx-1070

Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2016-05-18 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Considering the 1080 barely outperforms the TitanX
    this is very wrong

also the specs are the same as leaked/expected

yes should be 980Ti tier performance

- - - Updated - - -

also I still stand by what I said before

"recommending" 1070 right now, this very second

I am that confident in it

of course you dont have to just follow that advice

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    also I still stand by what I said before

"recommending" 1070 right now, this very second

I am that confident in it

of course you dont have to just follow that advice
    Don't get me wrong, I think the 1070 will be a great card as well. I just think it's a bit expensive, not too much, just a bit, and I think that Polaris 10 has a decent chance at competing with it. Until we know more about Polaris 10 performance I just think it's a bit early to be recommending something that is not even out yet. Keep an eye on it, yes, there is a chance it will be better than AMDs offerings, but there is a chance it won't as well.

Now, I know what you are going to say, "But AMD said it will have 390X like performance." Yes, that's -one- of the rumors floating around. The other rumors floating around place it above the Furies though, so no telling what to believe. If it does outperform the Furies though, that gives it close to 1080-like performance, at the price range of under $350. We'll see which rumor is true, and recommending anyone to buy a 1070 without seeing what comes out is just encouraging uninformed consumerism.

at this point Im thinking more of technologies and not just performance

Nvidia means being able to use their new FastSync thing and also choosing Gsync over Freesync, and, while Gsync is more expensive, it looks to have better consistent performance that is 100% independant of the monitor/panel manufacturer from what I read

Gsync also works with windowed games and Freesync doesnt

Gsync IPS monitors also have ULMB option and Freesync ones dont

so I might just buy 1070 even if AMD has a $300-350 980Ti

the software edge Nvidia has is nothing to sneeze at

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    <Whole lot of info>
    I posted this on page 47 (my screen, unsure if MMO-Champion lets users decide on amount of posts shown per page) already you thief!

No nabbing mah thunda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I posted this on page 47 (my screen, unsure if MMO-Champion lets users decide on amount of posts shown per page) already you thief!

No nabbing mah thunda!
    Ah yeah.. :P

Sorry, completely missed it between the biggering... I also figured it was WCCF...

I did add the slides MOAR THUNDA!!

15+ Year Old Account
    at this point Im thinking more of technologies and not just performance

Nvidia means being able to use their new FastSync thing and also choosing Gsync over Freesync, and, while Gsync is more expensive, it looks to have better consistent performance that is 100% independant of the monitor/panel manufacturer from what I read

Gsync also works with windowed games and Freesync doesnt

Gsync IPS monitors also have ULMB option and Freesync ones dont

so I might just buy 1070 even if AMD has a $300-350 980Ti

the software edge Nvidia has is nothing to sneeze at
    Actually a few corrections:

FastSync is relative and generally useless when using in combo with Free/Adaptive Sync and/or G-Sync.
    This is for older monitors which have neither only really.

G-Sync DOES work with Windowed Games but Windows 10 will receive an upgrade in the near future to allow it as well as this is a Windows function limitation rather than FreeSync and it will be changed ... but yes G-Sync has the edge currently.

As far as ULMB and G-Sync goes you can't enable both at the same time, it's either/or and FreeSync monitors have the same function, it's just called differently for every manufacturer.. BenQ and EIZO have them to name an example.

Whilst nVidia does still have a software feature edge it really is not as big anymore as you make it out to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Ah yeah.. :P

Sorry, completely missed it between the biggering... I also figured it was WCCF...

I did add the slides MOAR THUNDA!!
    I'll forgive you.... THIS time!

Now buy me a 4 pack of Coca Cola to apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Considering the 1080 barely outperforms the TitanX.
    This is a whole lot of nonsense. I mean it doesn't perform x2 of a Titan X, but it still quite a bit ahead. Look at some of the reviews posted on the thread.

FastSync is relative and generally useless when using in combo with Free/Adaptive Sync and/or G-Sync.
    This is for older monitors which have neither only really.
    why useless ?

even with Gsync you still want something to remove the tear at above 144 fps in fast games like CS GO and FastSync gives less latency then Vsync for that

G-Sync DOES work with Windowed Games but Windows 10 will receive an upgrade in the near future to allow it as well as this is a Windows function limitation rather than FreeSync and it will be changed ... but yes G-Sync has the edge currently.
    source ? link ?

I only heard Windows Store games like QB or Gears of War Ultimate will get the ability to work with Freesync/Gsync (currently they dont IIRC), but nothing about enabling Freesync on windowed modes in all games

as far as I know Freesync on windowed modes is up to AMD to implement, not Windows 10

As far as ULMB and G-Sync goes you can't enable both at the same time, it's either/or and FreeSync monitors have the same function, it's just called differently for every manufacturer.. BenQ and EIZO have them to name an example.
    maybe for TN (?) but I havent seen any IPS Freesync monitor with this function

meanwhile all modern Gsync IPS monitors have ULMB capability

Deleted
    The asus MG279Q has it...
    Just look at the ASUS site. I can"t link it atm.

15+ Year Old Account
    why useless ?

even with Gsync you still want something to remove the tear at above 144 fps in fast games like CS GO and FastSync gives less latency then Vsync for that
    If you have G-Sync enabled it shouldn't be going faster than the refresh rate of your panel anyway so it acts as a V-Sync.
    That's why it's useless as G-Sync also only allows entire frames through, so unless that has changed FastSync in this case is useless.

source ? link ?

I only heard Windows Store games like QB or Gears of War Ultimate will get the ability to work with Freesync/Gsync (currently they dont IIRC), but nothing about enabling Freesync on windowed modes in all games

as far as I know Freesync on windowed modes is up to AMD to implement, not Windows 10
    What you're referring to is the UWP platform, not Windows itself.
    Fullscreen mode basically forces the output to go directly to the frame buffer and then displayed which is why FreeSync works.

Windows adds a compositor prior to arriving at the frame buffer and thus breaks FreeSync as that's based upon open standards where nVidia's G-Sync pretty much ignores this due to the fact that it's an added module and firmware to the monitor.

AMD cannot change the function of Windows in this regard thus Microsoft has to do this.
    However they are working to change this in DirectX12 to allow all of the Full screen benefits but without the disadvantages so like a mix of borderless window and full screen.
    I believe this mode is called "DX 12 Full Screen Exclusive Mode" ... but it's not finished yet as far as I'm aware.

meanwhile all modern Gsync IPS monitors have ULMB capability
    Example: Eizo Foris FS2735
    ULMB is not really a function of G-Sync but of the monitors itself, it's a possibility that nVidia sets that as a demand for the monitor to support.
    But it's not really a G-Sync technology.

Deleted
    why useless ?
    Only if your fps exceed your screen's refresh rate. If you have an Asus IPS Gsync monitor, your refresh rate is 165hz, so chances are this will barely ever happen. For games like CS:GO, you'll most likely use Gsync + an FPS cap 10 frames below your screen's hz, because you never want either vsync or fastsync to trigger. Or of course, no Gsync at all.

If you have G-Sync enabled it shouldn't be going faster than the refresh rate of your panel anyway so it acts as a V-Sync.
    That's why it's useless as G-Sync also only allows entire frames through, so unless that has changed FastSync in this case is useless.
    Low load games like CS:GO will often reach FPS that exceed your screen's refresh rate, which could trigger vsync. That said, there are many ways around this feature, both in the Nvidia control panel as in the game's autoexec.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-05-18 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    On the ropes as whether to buy an R9 390X or wait a few weeks for a GTX 1070, given that they will run about the same price.
    Are you mental? Do not buy an AMD card....The drivers suck, they run hot, and are just slower....google "Doom 2016 AMD" for an example.

What you're referring to is the UWP platform, not Windows itself.
    Fullscreen mode basically forces the output to go directly to the frame buffer and then displayed which is why FreeSync works.

Windows adds a compositor prior to arriving at the frame buffer and thus breaks FreeSync as that's based upon open standards where nVidia's G-Sync pretty much ignores this due to the fact that it's an added module and firmware to the monitor.

AMD cannot change the function of Windows in this regard thus Microsoft has to do this.
    However they are working to change this in DirectX12 to allow all of the Full screen benefits but without the disadvantages so like a mix of borderless window and full screen.
    I believe this mode is called "DX 12 Full Screen Exclusive Mode" ... but it's not finished yet as far as I'm aware.
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/new-mi...ed-framerates/

Microsoft has also commented on the lack of an exclusive fullscreen mode in DX12:

“Full screen exclusive mode was created back in the original release of DirectDraw to provide games with enhanced performance when using the entire screen. The downside of full screen exclusive mode is that it makes the experience for gamers who wish to do other things on their system, such as alt-tab to another application or run the Windows GameDVR, more clunky with excessive flicker and transition time.

We thought it would be cool if gamers could have the versatility of gaming in a window with the performance of full screen exclusive.

So, with Windows 10, DirectX 12 games which take up the entire screen perform just as well as the old full screen exclusive mode without any of the full screen exclusive mode disadvantages. This is true for both Win32 and UWP games which use DirectX 12. All of these games can seamlessly alt-tab, run GameDVR, and exhibit normal functionality of a window without any perf degradation vs full screen exclusive.”
    this only talks about being able to alt-tab in fullscreen and only for DX12 games

nothing about Freesync being able to work in windowed on ALL games (even pre-DX 12 ones)

so - any source/link would be appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    This is a whole lot of nonsense. I mean it doesn't perform x2 of a Titan X, but it still quite a bit ahead. Look at some of the reviews posted on the thread.
    As it shouldn't. The 1080 compares to the 980 and if it's performing ~70% better than the 980 than that's what is expected from the card. The only "problem" is the ridiculously high launch price but well whatever. At least the "normal" price isn't so absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohdearuk View Post
    Are you mental? Do not buy an AMD card....The drivers suck, they run hot, and are just slower....google "Doom 2016 AMD" for an example.
    lol.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-05-18 at 04:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohdearuk View Post
    dude they brought out new drivers, relax.
    @mrgummage: Wait for the polaris reviews, you might want one of those, you will have a choise between a GTX1070, R9390X or one of the polaris cards... bigger choise, better results....

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/new-mi...ed-framerates/

this only talks about being able to alt-tab in fullscreen and only for DX12 games

nothing about Freesync being able to work in windowed on ALL games (even pre-DX 12 ones)

so - any source/link would be appreciated
    You linked it yourself.
    If you read my exact statement I did specifically state this was part of the DX12 API, thus logically it would work on DX12 only.
    I also stated Windows 10 and not all Windows versions as Windows 10 is the DX12 example of DOOM AND GLOOOOOOOOM!

I never stated anywhere that it would work "in ALL games".

The entire reason for Borderless Window to exist is purely for high-speed multitasking and guess what Alt+Tab is?

Deleted
    The entire reason for Borderless Window to exist is purely for high-speed multitasking and guess what Alt+Tab is?
    Yeah, but the delay it causes when playing full screen is kinda annoying. I play everything borderless windows and it pisses me off when a game doesn't have that (HELLO DARK SOULS :@ )

Quite an interesting read, though I have to admit that some points are in direct conflict with finding from trustworthy websites (like hardOCP, Digital Foundry, etc.). The angry tone of the article isn't very reassuring either.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-05-18 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why not share those other results?
    I forgot the who and where -_-'