Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Hey OP.

They updated a lot of the mounts to have unique running animations and unique mount specials (pressing spacebar while idle).

The Infernals are no longer remodeled gronnlings, the fox runs different with a new animation. The felbats are remodeled gronnlings but with a modified run animation and flight animation. The rat mount no longer looks like a hideous tailless bear - it has a unique animation. The fish is completely new, the spider is completely new. The Storm dragons are scaled way bigger than regular drake mounts.

This is a good expansion for mounts.

WoD was the worst expansion for mounts ever. But they did have to create over 25 new skeletons in higher detail than normal with a ton of animations.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    I also fail to understand the hate for WoD boars and wolves. Their models are very good; and with fixed running animation, they are great mounts. Do you people dislike overall quantity of their recolors in game, that's why the hate? Right, that's why I wrote this post. Less mounts overall, but more emphasis on each existing mount instead. Quality > quantity.
    The elekks, talbuks, boars and wolves from launch just don't stand out and don't come as completely new. I personally think that they all looked horrible with one or two exceptions. And it almost felt like an insult when you compared them to the store mounts. It was also such a stark contrast with MoP that had an allround great mount design with both good quality and quantity. WoD didn't really have either.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    The elekks, talbuks, boars and wolves from launch just don't stand out and don't come as completely new. I personally think that they all looked horrible with one or two exceptions. And it almost felt like an insult when you compared them to the store mounts. It was also such a stark contrast with MoP that had an allround great mount design with both good quality and quantity. WoD didn't really have either.
    Good points. I had multiple issues with the WoD mounts:

- lots of recolors and armor variants. The same wolf is used some 10 times throughout WoD with a different fur
    - Boars used Direhorn skeleton. It just didn't work. People have been asking for boars for a long time and it wasn't what we wanted.
    - boring and uninspired rep reward mounts. Wouldn't a variant of Grinning Reaver be the perfect exalted mount for Laughing Skull Orcs? Instead it's a recolored Talbuk...
    - Easy to get, nothing aside from Voidtalon of the Dark Star is prestigious at launch, the final raid mounts look okay I guess. I didn't feel like I wanted a new mount in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised you haven't complained about the Fox sharing the same skeleton as the Saber mounts (running & idle, but the mountspecial is unique)?

Nothing wrong with re-using skeletons. Only issue is when there's infinity dull recolours *pokes WoD*

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    - boring and uninspired rep reward mounts. Wouldn't a variant of Grinning Reaver be the perfect exalted mount for Laughing Skull Orcs? Instead it's a recolored Talbuk...
    Try Alliance and taking Ilona as your bodyguard. "Look how cool this mount is! You can only buy it in the shop! I'm gonna flap the wings right in your face!"

Quote Originally Posted by Emmique View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't complained about the Fox sharing the same skeleton as the Saber mounts (running & idle, but the mountspecial is unique)?

Nothing wrong with re-using skeletons. Only issue is when there's infinity dull recolours *pokes WoD*
    They changed the fox's running enough that you wouldn't notice it was a cat mount unless you were really trying. Think it's running animation is sped up and yeah the mount special is unique.

I had a similar concern -- well, not with reused skeletons. So long as a skeleton works for the creature it's trying to represent, it's okay imo.

But please god, nothing like the WoD boar. A mount of which there were so many variations thrown at players, and yet they never bothered to fix the wonky animations.

But yeah, the count of unique enough mounts for non-PvPers or raiders to get at the moment is kind of worrying, and I hope it changes soon. They've had quite a few builds now without any new mounts, so I'm starting to get a bit wary.

The inevitably many moose recolours that will become the new boars.

Possibly a saber rep mount (but that's not even guaranteed)

The fox mount (granted it doesn't become a store mount)

Possibly the rat mount. I know it has something to do with Dalaran coins, but a regular player should be able to do that, given that they're dedicated enough, right?

Possibly the new dragons, but then those may also just end up being raid only mounts.

Then you have profession mounts, which are pretty much recolours, like the archaeology and leathercrafting moose, and the blacksmithing corehound, which I wouldn't consider too exciting.

A dungeon achievement arcane hippogryph. Cool, but also a recolour of a MoP mount.

I don't count the fish and jellyfish mount because aquatic mounts are essentially useless compared to regular or flying mounts.

Compare that to the 6 unicorn mounts, 5 infernal mounts, 4 RBG mounts and 2 recoloured RBG mounts, all for PvP stuff.

Legion is looking like a good expansion for PvPers when it comes to mounts.

Not so much for a casual player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmique View Post

The fox never used the cat mount skeleton. It was built off of the fox skeleton from Cataclysm, which did, admittedly, reuse some animations from cats and wolves, but that works great because foxes are behaviorally very similar to a mix of feline and canine.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't complain about recolours. They've been in the game since the start, and you should only ask yourself one thing: Does the mount look cool? If the answer is yes then there's no need to complain, and if you do have some sort of issue (Like saying how the Fel Core Hound's fires are obviously from the Core Hound, and aren't green enough), then post it on the forums where it'll be seen and fixed.
    So many of the new mounts look awesome, especially the new modeled hippogryph from the dungeon meta.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Think Legion mounts looks quite decent. I don't mind recolor much but I do hope they use different models for different factions instead of different factions having different colors. In general I hope they space it out in such a way that if you want this model you have to exalt with this faction. Makes it feel much more rewarding instead of getting just YET ANOTHER PIG even if it is a different color.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The Infernals imo look awful; there's been no precedent for Infernals running on all fours before - It's an INCREDIBLY lazy retooling of the Gronn skeleton.
    They changed the infernal skeleton a while ago

Deleted
    Don't mind recolors as long as they are obtained from the same faction vendor. Like, for example, the nether drakes. I do, however, not want a WoD 2.0 where a mount has ten recolors that are spread out over factions and other achievements.

This post is just misinformation and negativity.
    The infernals have their own unique skeleton. (wowhead)
    The "datamined Draenor mounts" has nothing to do the actual expansion theme, so u can't say that they're gonna be in. It could be that they never used them in WoD.
    Storm Drakes don't look anything like previous drakes.
    You seem to not understand the difference between re-skin and re-color. The mech suit is a cool Skin on a similar skeleton. (wowhead vid clearly shows that).
    You even forgot the new underwater fish mount and jellyfish mount.

Honestly I do not see any problems if they have re-colors as long as there is a variety of mounts. WoD only had mounts that look/felt similar and they were re-colored a lot which is why no1 liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    get this curse out of my sight.
    I'm with you on this. I remember there was a time before WoD when I really liked Wolf/Boar mounts

I agree. Infernals are awesome, but they are being wasted being glad only. Fel bats are nice but looks like they will be used only in flight paths. The fox mount (not implemented) and the octopus look good, other than those not hyped for mounts.

Things might change, but so far it looks worse than WoD. Oh and WoD had some great mounts: gronns, yetis, core hound, voidtalon, ravens, Rukhmar bird, infinite dragon and the felsteel anihilator.

At least the rat has retained it's idle animations, and I think it looks pretty damned good.
    And it's still not as dire a situation as in WoD. The few mounts datamined are at least interesting.
    I couldn't give less of a shit about new skeletons, they're overrated. There's only so many different ways a horse can move like a horse...granted, horses in WoW apart from the Hearthsteed don't run like horses...

As an avid mount collector, I'll go into Legion with the mindset of "gotta catch 'em all!".
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-05-24 at 10:40 PM.